Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Moore backs campaign to save guitar website
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.30.2006, 08:57 AM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/moore%20backs%20campaign%20to%20save%20guitar%20we bsite_1006713

SONIC YOUTH's THURSTON MOORE is backing a campaign to save a website used by millions of aspiring rockers to learn how to play the guitar. The SUGAR KANE star wants to prevent the Guitar Tab Universe site from being closed down by America's National Music Publishers' Association (NMPA) and the Music Publishers' Association (MPA). Both organisations have written to the website's owners expressing their concern that sharing tablatures online breaks copyright laws and asking for them to be removed. Guitar Tab Universe boss ROB BALCH has refused to comply, leading to the NMPA and the MPA to contact the website's internet service provider. But Moore has thrown his weight behind Balch's stance. On the website's homepage, Moore writes, "So lots of respect for all you boys and girls out there who tab out songs like all the time. You bring rock and roll music closer to the people." A spokesman for the NMPA says, "We will take all appropriate steps to remove unauthorised sheet music and tablature versions from the internet that do not respect the rights of songwriters, especially those who flagrantly violate our copyrighted works to profit for themselves."
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.30.2006, 10:15 AM   #2
fullchromelogic
little trouble girl

fullchromelogic kicks all y'all's assesfullchromelogic kicks all y'all's assesfullchromelogic kicks all y'all's assesfullchromelogic kicks all y'all's assesfullchromelogic kicks all y'all's assesfullchromelogic kicks all y'all's assesfullchromelogic kicks all y'all's assesfullchromelogic kicks all y'all's assesfullchromelogic kicks all y'all's assesfullchromelogic kicks all y'all's assesfullchromelogic kicks all y'all's asses
hell yeah... the tmooredinga drives an exeptional point. so what if someones learning your song... at least they like the song.

mac
fullchromelogic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.30.2006, 10:20 AM   #3
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
I call horse shit...

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/...ercent_tab.htm

This tab was posted on Ultimate-Guitar, or somewhere else, a long time ago. I first discovered it there in 2005. I don't know if it is really him or not. But he says "So lots of respect for all you boys and girls out there who tab out songs like all the time. You bring rock and roll music closer to the people" (toward the bottom of the page). Perhaps he posted the tab himself on "Guitar Tab Universe", but he certainly did not say it in response to the MPA trying to shut down GTU.
Old 08.30.2006, 10:30 AM   #4
touch me i'm sick
expwy. to yr skull

touch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's asses
oh yeah i went to the guitar tab website and there was a picture of him and like some comments he made about saving the website. i thought it was funny
touch me i'm sick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.30.2006, 10:43 AM   #5
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
I call horse shit...

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/...ercent_tab.htm

This tab was posted on Ultimate-Guitar, or somewhere else, a long time ago. I first discovered it there in 2005. I don't know if it is really him or not. But he says "So lots of respect for all you boys and girls out there who tab out songs like all the time. You bring rock and roll music closer to the people" (toward the bottom of the page). Perhaps he posted the tab himself on "Guitar Tab Universe", but he certainly did not say it in response to the MPA trying to shut down GTU.

hmm sounds like thurston tabbed the song... im not sure
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.30.2006, 10:46 AM   #6
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
But regardless, if it was him or not, it was said long before the MPA started shuting down tab sites. (the tab site that I linked to is based in Russia, and therefore the same laws do not apply. So it is still up and running)
Old 08.30.2006, 06:03 PM   #7
lunberg
bad moon rising

lunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to behold
I don't even understandl the copyright infringement : can someone enlighten me ?

I mean : when a band issues a record, does it also publish tabs or something?
Or does copyright also apply to all representations of a song ?
I understand that someone would want to shut down a website selling guitar tabs without the consent of the band, but if it gives them away for free then what's the big deal?
Take SY for instance : they don't have official tabs of all their goddamn recordings. I believe they have them somewhere on a music sheet in their studio, but it's not like a published score. Why the hell would they not want tabs circulating on the internet ?
lunberg is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.30.2006, 06:09 PM   #8
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
if tab books weren't so expensive, badly distributed, elitist (do we need five different guitar books for the latest nickleback offering and have no isis or neurosis tab books?) and inaccurate, then would there be a need for such a website?

same shit as the recording industry.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.30.2006, 06:14 PM   #9
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
who is making money off of tabs?
Old 08.30.2006, 06:40 PM   #10
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden child
who is making money off of tabs?

-publishing companies (the ones who manage copyrighted material for writers and composers)
-editorial houses, some of which are major label's branches.

doing a tab for a song is like doing a cover, you need to ask for permission and negotiate royalties or whatever to get 'em out. also there's exclusivity deals all around so if, say guitar world prints a tab of a song, if they have a deal with the publisher, guitar player can't print a tab for the same song. there's a lot of money to be made.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.30.2006, 07:17 PM   #11
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
That tab is bullshit. '100%' has always been played in F#F#F#F#EB, since 1992.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.30.2006, 07:55 PM   #12
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

How do you know he didn't just make a quick version for standard tuning?

I know the tab isn't how they play it, but that doesn't mean it isn't him. But if it is him or not, he obviously didn't say those things to Guitar Tab Universe.
Old 08.31.2006, 03:29 AM   #13
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks for the info Moshe. Thurston rules!
Old 08.31.2006, 11:23 AM   #14
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn@ke
Yep, I don't think that's T.

The tab won't correpond entirely because that's not the way they played the song, it was on F#F#F#F#EB, like Danny said.

I'm pretty sure that SY never played 100% live with standard tuning.

Again, that guy is not Thurston (imo).
Just because it was played in F#F#F#F#EB doesn't mean it is impossible to play it any other way.

There are many way to play the same song. And that is hardly enough to prove that it wasn't him.

Maybe he is just chaning it to standard tuning for the masses.
Again, I'm not saying it is or isn't him, but I'm just playing devil's advocate.
Old 08.31.2006, 11:44 AM   #15
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

That is true. But I guess we won't really know.

But we do know that he isn't supporting GTU and they took a quote from him that sounds like he was.
Old 08.31.2006, 06:00 PM   #16
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
SY haven't toured with an EADGBE guitar for an amazingly long long time.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2006, 04:45 PM   #17
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
It's not too often that ultra-hip music people make the front page of The Daily Telegraph's Business section, but Mr Moore did on the 30th August. My scan:

The text, as it's difficult to read:

Website for aspiring guitarists fights to keep music playing
By Dominic White Communication, Industries Editor
(Filed: 30/08/2006)

Websites used by millions of aspiring musicians to learn the guitar risk being unplugged by America's music industry.
advertisement

Fresh from successful campaigns to close down illegal music file-sharing sites, the industry's latest target is Guitar Tab Universe, which offers thousands of songs in simple "tablature" form for guitarists who can't read music.

The National Music Publishers' Association and the Music Publishers' Association wrote recently to the site's owner, stating that sharing tablature constitutes copyright infringement, and asking it to take the site down. When it refused, they approached the site's internet service provider.

In a statement on the site, Guitar Tab Universe's manager Rob Balch describes the NMPA's threat as "an attack on every one of you who has told someone (in person, or via the written word, telephone, or email) how you play a song on guitar".

A spokesman for the NMPA refused to comment on the case, but said: "We will take all appropriate steps to remove unauthorised sheet music and tablature versions from the internet that do not respect the rights of songwriters, especially those who flagrantly violate our copyrighted works to profit for themselves."

Guitar Tab Universe invites its users to express their opinion to the NMPA and MPA via their websites. It adds: "Please do not resort to vulgar language or insults."

Its campaign has already won the support of Sonic Youth's guitarist Thurston Moore, who is quoted on its home page as saying: "Lots of respect for all you boys and girls out there who tab out songs like all the time. You bring rock 'n' roll music closer to the people."

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2006, 01:38 AM   #18
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Thurston Rocks! I think loads of artists should support this. Perhaps the artists themselves should host their tabs on their own website (SY Style!). Anyone who plays the guitar knows that these internet tabs are invariably incorrect. They are just individual interpretions. This is simply no different to figuring out how to play a song and showing your friends how to play it. Internet tabs have done more to encourage people to pick up the guitar than anything, and this is just another step towards destroying the community spirit of the internet!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth