Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Protestant, Catholic or Orthodox?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.31.2009, 04:51 PM   #201
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenotdead
only new thing i learned from this thread is that knox is a massive prick.

repped hip priest, glice, and fltngslwly along the way though.

and suchfriends, God is the Bible, dawg. John 1:1... i don't even have to look that up
The Word is not the Bible, the concept of The Word is to call Jesus Christ to very voice of God, not necessarily that Jesus is the literal writings. Is Jesus a person or a font? God is not the Bible, the Bible is a musty book that discusses God and revelations of God, but GOD is by no means trapped in the Bible. He is a Living God, and active force, which transcends simple limitations like books and material reality

Jesus said, "Search the scriptures for in them you hope to find eternal life, but these speak of me, so why not come to me and live?" He didn't say, keep reading, he didn't say stop reading, but he did say, why not come Me (ie, directly)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.31.2009, 05:07 PM   #202
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Funny you would say such a thing because, from what I can tell, DND at his worst is comparable to you at your best.

Under what criteria did you equate DND's replies to be the worst?
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.31.2009, 05:47 PM   #203
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
Davenotdead is a dunce.

proof or it didn't happen

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.31.2009, 05:50 PM   #204
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
The Word is not the Bible, the concept of The Word is to call Jesus Christ to very voice of God, not necessarily that Jesus is the literal writings. Is Jesus a person or a font? God is not the Bible, the Bible is a musty book that discusses God and revelations of God, but GOD is by no means trapped in the Bible. He is a Living God, and active force, which transcends simple limitations like books and material reality

Jesus said, "Search the scriptures for in them you hope to find eternal life, but these speak of me, so why not come to me and live?" He didn't say, keep reading, he didn't say stop reading, but he did say, why not come Me (ie, directly)

the word = the word of god. that verse means that the bible is legit-god-inspired.

jesus=person

for liking god so much you have a pretty pessimistic view of the the bible. i often hear it called the Living Word.

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.31.2009, 08:03 PM   #205
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenotdead
the word = the word of god. that verse means that the bible is legit-god-inspired.

jesus=person

for liking god so much you have a pretty pessimistic view of the the bible. i often hear it called the Living Word.

actually, I read the bible quite religiously, at least several times a day and kiss it venerably every time, however I would never limit God or my worship to something as material as the Bible.

Further, referring to Christ as the Word is not in reference to the Holy Scriptures, the traditions of the Church Fathers interpret Christ as the Logos (the Word) to mean the very manifestation of the Word (ie, the Voice) of God Incarnate. Even a five year old could understand that Jesus cannot be both a man, a God and also a book. It is silly to think that the Bible (ie, the book) is somehow Jesus himself! Jesus=Jesus, the Bible=Bible, and the "Word of God" as referenced by John 1:1 has nothing to do with writings, but rather the incarnation of God's Voice into the human form of Jesus' living Body...

but this my friend, is all summed up in the Mystery of the Incarnation

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.01.2010, 04:14 AM   #206
looking glass spectacle
100%

looking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asses
fuck all y'all.

looking glass spectacle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.01.2010, 09:01 AM   #207
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
jesus christ.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.01.2010, 10:26 PM   #208
amerikangod
invito al cielo

amerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan
irish catholic atheist

You Irish chicks are the exact kind of trouble I like getting into.

I was raised Roman Catholic but am also an atheist.

amerikangod is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2010, 02:07 AM   #209
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerikangod
You Irish chicks are the exact kind of trouble I like getting into.

I was raised Roman Catholic but am also an atheist.

dont be such a fucking cliche you fucking henry miller epigone.

iron out every wrinkle of her cunt but don't kiss ass. for fucks sakes.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2010, 02:44 AM   #210
amerikangod
invito al cielo

amerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
dont be such a fucking cliche you fucking henry miller epigone.

iron out every wrinkle of her cunt but don't kiss ass. for fucks sakes.

I said I liked banging Irish chicks who had a religious upbringing, I didn't say I appreciated a poem she wrote or that I thought her quiche came out well.

While I like its phrasing the Henry Miller reference eludes me. Did he like dipping into shepherd's pie too?

And I don't iron cunt wrinkles, being a supporter of female circumcision.

amerikangod is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2010, 06:53 AM   #211
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
about the schools. if they are not particularly religious schools people have chosen to go to, if they are public or non-religious, the way I see the mention of God or Jesus or whatever by a teacher or authority constitutes a disrespect to these kids' religious freedom.

again, on abstinence, of course it can't be taught or encouraged, it is a personal decision people are entitled over their own bodies. Abstinence is not a fact, it is not science so how can it be part of the school curriculum?

Ideally, behaviour shouldn't be encouraged, you should simply encourage kids to think for themselves.

Kids are kids. The more you tell them not to, the more you keep bringing it up, the more repressed and irresponsible they will be. Numbers have been showing that in places where they teach abstinence kids don't use condoms, they have higher rates of teenage pregnancy, etc.

Repression and encouraging virginity always had the opposite effect - just look at what they say about catholic girls.

there is nothing unnatural about being a teenager and wanting to have sex, if they do or don't it's their personal choice, but making them feel inadequate for having those desires is crossing boundaries.

Old 01.02.2010, 07:33 AM   #212
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
about the schools. if they are not particularly religious schools people have chosen to go to, if they are public or non-religious, the way I see the mention of God or Jesus or whatever by a teacher or authority constitutes a disrespect to these kids' religious freedom.

Ideally, behaviour shouldn't be encouraged, you should simply encourage kids to think for themselves.
But isn't silencing all mention of God or Jesus, itself, an authoritarian act that discourages kids from thinking for themselves? What should be done is disestablishing the religious authority but not censuring religious language. Retaining the ability to talk about religion is precisely the way one can disestablish it. It is approachable and able to be criticized openly.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2010, 10:19 AM   #213
akprodr
the end of the ugly

akprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox

again, on abstinence, of course it can't be taught or encouraged, it is a personal decision people are entitled over their own bodies. Abstinence is not a fact, it is not science so how can it be part of the school curriculum?

Not sure what you mean. Of course, it IS being taught. It IS a fact.

Way back in the dark ages (early 80s) when I had Health Class we were taught, correctly, abstinence is the only 100% sure way to avoid pregnancy and STDs. And that was about the scope of that lecture. One sentence.

We were also, in rudimentary terms, about other methods of birth control and STD control and their relative effectiveness.

Yes, hormone birth control is 100% effective is used correctly but how many teens are capable of that (100% of the time).

Similarly, we were also taught Creationism. Some people believe that the earth is 6000 years old and that God created all the animals pretty much the way they are now. And then we moved on to evolution.

There is no problem with the topic being taught as long as further information is given.
Old 01.02.2010, 10:42 AM   #214
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I've always thought that abstinence is too obvious to teach.
Old 01.02.2010, 10:47 AM   #215
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
in my school, when they told us that you couldn't get pregnant or get stds if you were abstinent, somebody would always say "but what if you jack off in some skank's panties and she puts them on without knowing"

the teachers never had an answer for that, they should get people who actually know shit to teach sex ed
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2010, 10:59 AM   #216
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
But isn't silencing all mention of God or Jesus, itself, an authoritarian act that discourages kids from thinking for themselves?

I don't think it's about silencing all mentions of God, Jesus or any faith but the context in which it's taught. I see no wrong in christianity being taught as a religion, alongside other religions, within the confines of a 'religion studies' class. I actually think this is an essential part of any broad education as religion is clearly a very real aspect of the world. I oppose it when religion becomes an invisible, overarching way in which to discuss all topics. I don't mind it when this happens in explicitely faith tied schools, but I personally see no place for such schools within the public, state funded sector, or at least within any state that claims to be seperate from any faith.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2010, 11:34 AM   #217
pbradley
invito al cielo

But why is it necessarily invisible and overarching? I think education works best under a seminar approach so confining subjects totally to their individual classes loses the important lesson of how all these subjects are interrelated. Giving a general overview of Christianity, for instance, is quite necessary for a class on early European history. In other classes, too, religion as a social institution can be relevant to the subject. I suppose I don't understand what you mean of religion as a way to discuss all topics, even though I went to a Jesuit university.
Old 01.02.2010, 11:40 AM   #218
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Raised Roman Catholic. Fell away from the Church around 18. Married in the Church around 24 to appease family (and to have a nice setting for the wedding!).

Was no-religion for a coupla decades. In 1990s "discovered" Buddhism and became a lay-ordained Zen Buddhist (in the soto tradition). Still adhere to the Zen B ideas and principles but don't practice (sit) much anymore.
Old 01.02.2010, 11:53 AM   #219
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I don't think it's about silencing all mentions of God, Jesus or any faith but the context in which it's taught. I see no wrong in christianity being taught as a religion, alongside other religions, within the confines of a 'religion studies' class. I actually think this is an essential part of any broad education as religion is clearly a very real aspect of the world. I oppose it when religion becomes an invisible, overarching way in which to discuss all topics. I don't mind it when this happens in explicitely faith tied schools, but I personally see no place for such schools within the public, state funded sector, or at least within any state that claims to be seperate from any faith.

you're talking about the UK. Where religion studies include all religions. That's good and also required. But we're talking americas. We're they don't even call it religious studies, they call it the truth, and if you don't accept it you will probably face some problems.

if i'm going to an institution that's explicitly religious then of course, i have to expect it. but then again, we're talking about public schools and institutions that have people from several backgrounds.

teaching abstinence as the only 100% effective way to prevent pregnancy and stds is like saying the only 100% way not to get food poisoning is not to eat.

Old 01.02.2010, 11:58 AM   #220
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
But why is it necessarily invisible and overarching? I think education works best under a seminar approach so confining subjects totally to their individual classes loses the important lesson of how all these subjects are interrelated. Giving a general overview of Christianity, for instance, is quite necessary for a class on early European history. In other classes, too, religion as a social institution can be relevant to the subject. I suppose I don't understand what you mean of religion as a way to discuss all topics, even though I went to a Jesuit university.

Of course, and that's not what I meant at all. To talk about Christianity's role in the evolution of history, literature, politics, the arts and even science is utterly crucial. That's an entirely different matter to letting a teacher working in a state school invisibly allow their faith to colour the student's understanding of various topics. It's the same with any faith, be it religious or secular. I disapprove just as much of Marxist teachers talking about history solely from a Marxist perspective without declaring it as just that, a position, and not providing even-handed accounts of other positions that might contradict it. In essence, I disapprove of any kind of teaching method that could be seen as providing a kind of ideological indoctrination, be it faith based, politically biased or even secular.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth