Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.08.2014, 06:18 PM   #18141
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
I saw "God Help The Girl" recently as well, and I am only aware of B&S by name. So...it was alright, nothing I'm gushing over. Research, aka wikipedia, shows me it's some long standing project that ended up having a movie as well. Definitely liked some of the songs, but not all of them.
Old 09.08.2014, 06:55 PM   #18142
pony
the end of the ugly

pony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's asses
just finished this now and i liked it

pony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2014, 11:53 PM   #18143
pony
the end of the ugly

pony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's asses

can't *really* complain about the movie since I knew what I was getting myself into, read the book back when it came out. movie was entraining and I really liked carla juri. she's a cutie!

food. -> good. it was also entertaining. and it made me want to go to new orleans
pony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.10.2014, 08:07 PM   #18144
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
"the pervert's guide to ideology" featuring slavoj zizek

A M A Z I N G ! ! !

all the answers you wanted to get and then some. (of course it's just a beginning, but still…)

deliciously enjoyable. will blow your mind repeatedly. you will laugh and laugh and laugh. sit through the credits!!

also recently, after seeing richard stanley in the jodorowski documentary, i rewatched

HARDWARE

yes, quite derivative, borrows *a lot* from 70's-80's SF (from luke's mechanical hand to the terminator to the monster in the spaceship like alien to a look like mad max), so it's quite a pastiche, but it still keeps a freshness and energy and a certain gallows humor that set it apart. after decades of lawyerly disputes it's been on blu-ray for a few years now (and it still looks as grainy as fuck ha ha ha).

last--

EUROPA EUROPA

some people (including the old-ass trailer) will make you believe this is a bleak sad fucking movie, and it a way it is, but it is also fucking hilarious at the same time and in spite of the bleakness we couldn't stop laughing-- well of course we did eventually but much of it is funny.

i popped my agnieszka holland cherry with "in darkness" recently, and looking back at her roots she does not disappoint.

if you dig deeper you'll discover she's also directed episodes of "the wire", "the killing" and "treme" (plus some other tv shit i haven't seen). so i "knew" her after all. check her out!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.10.2014, 08:59 PM   #18145
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Empire Records, still classic to me.
Old 09.12.2014, 06:43 AM   #18146
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
"the pervert's guide to ideology" featuring slavoj zizek

Slavoj Zizek is a cunt, a really awful person in a lot of ways, and almost always completely full of shit.

So I'm sure he comes across quite well in a film he helped make.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.12.2014, 08:02 AM   #18147
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Slavoj Zizek is a cunt, a really awful person in a lot of ways, and almost always completely full of shit.

i don't know him personally, but this movie is really good, even if he sniffles like crazy while he's talking.
Old 09.12.2014, 11:07 AM   #18148
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

He's a good showman. Not that he fakes his eccentricities but he definitely knows how to use them to enhance his cult following. He can be laugh out loud funny but I don't take his actual ideas seriously at all. Politically, I find him completely irrelevant. Don't know about him being an awful person, though. A lot of his more controversial opinions are, I'm sure, really just there to provoke liberals - which comes across as more lazy than anything else.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.12.2014, 11:11 AM   #18149
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
He's a good showman. Not that he fakes his eccentricities but he definitely knows how to use them to enhance his cult following. He can be laugh out loud funny but I don't take his actual ideas seriously at all. Politically, I find him completely irrelevant. Don't know about him being an awful person, though. A lot of his more controversial opinions are, I'm sure, really just there to provoke liberals - which comes across as more lazy than anything else.

i don't know if he was talking about this:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/...man_video.html

in that controversy, i totally side with zizek haaa haaa haaaa

--

ps the film was really great and highly entertaining and at times superfunny. i'm going to re-watch it.
Old 09.12.2014, 12:09 PM   #18150
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
i liked the pervert's guide to cinema

he could easily be a bad person. but he can't be that bad if he pisses off noam chomsky. also definite points for talking shit about college students.
keep poppin pimples is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.12.2014, 12:50 PM   #18151
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep poppin pimples
i liked the pervert's guide to cinema

i really wish he had film reviews like that on youtube regularly. it would be amazing.

Quote:
he could easily be a bad person. but he can't be that bad if he pisses off noam chomsky.

ha ha ha. i had overheard this before but i wasn't fully aware. thanks for making me look it up.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...izek-ding-dong

Quote:
also definite points for talking shit about college students.

internet hi-five
Old 09.12.2014, 02:20 PM   #18152
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

And thanks for the link.

While I have any number of problems with Chomsky, if the question is between the practical and the theoretical, I'll take the practical.

Chomsky alerts me to, say, how the CIA covertly fights a "war on drugs" in Central America. Žižek writes some crap about the Hegalian subtext in Blade Runner or whatever the fuck. Might be "fun" for some, but in the end he's just playing a shallow game.

And I wonder what his thoughts are on all the college girls he's fucked?
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.12.2014, 02:21 PM   #18153
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

he thinks they have juicy pussies.....
Old 09.12.2014, 05:53 PM   #18154
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

While I have any number of problems with Chomsky, if the question is between the practical and the theoretical, I'll take the practical.

Chomsky alerts me to, say, how the CIA covertly fights a "war on drugs" in Central America. Žižek writes some crap about the Hegalian subtext in Blade Runner or whatever the fuck. Might be "fun" for some, but in the end he's just playing a shallow game.

repeated genocide denial is not "practical". actually it is very "theoretical" because he presents conspiracy "theories" created by war criminals as 'facts'
personally i'd rather he talk about movies because i'm never going to accept the lefty equivalent of ernst zundel as a good source of info on world events.
keep poppin pimples is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2014, 12:51 PM   #18155
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

jonathan glazer's

UNDER THE SKIN

fantastic movie! excellent in every way. superb camera work and editing and great performance by scarlett. great soundtrack. my only complaint would be the nearly impossible to understand scottish accents, but eh-- it's a film of few words anyway-- moods are more important here. this movie is stylish as fuck.

extra bonus if you like scarlett, because you get to stare & stare at her until you have memorized every aspect of her face and many of her body as well-- quite the scopophiliac's delight.

i understand this is a distant adaptation of a dutch novel, but having read now a synopsis of the book this seems to me a much better story purged of the blatant didacticism of the source material.

my only problem here is with an underlying gender narrative that i won't discuss in this post but maybe another time if people are willing to handle total and absolute spoilers.
Old 09.15.2014, 09:46 AM   #18156
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

Old 09.18.2014, 01:05 AM   #18157
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2014, 02:09 PM   #18158
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

Always a bit of a difficult one to watch due to the historical fact to it

I had to follow it up with

to regain some sanity.
Old 09.21.2014, 08:44 PM   #18159
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
The Departed was on last night and I couldn't stop watching it. Its not necessarily the best film by any of the actors in it, and yet, I really dig this flick. I also watched the last hour of The Shawshank Redemption and damn it, I was crying (happy tears) at the end like I ALWAYS DO for that damned movie, even in the fucking 8th grade watching it at school!!

Bastards

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2014, 10:12 PM   #18160
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

@tw2113- i had to look upthe magdalene sisters-- wow! DAMN! i guess i understand now the story behind "philomena" but i didn't know it was such widespread sadism. thanks for the mention i'll check it out some day (some day when i want to get depressed!-- but seriously…)

===

most recently watched--

don jon- starts like a comedy, and it gets progressively serious. i liked the funny parts better because they were more skilfully done; near the end the drama gets a little obvious, but then it's a nice little fable "for the kids", very watchable overall, not the greatest but not a waste of time either. check it out.

beyond outrage - i didn't realize this was the sequel to "outrage" so i didn't get everything until the end but beat takeshi is always awesome so now i'll have to go in reverse. watch "outrage" first!

the element of crime - lars von trier's first feature, all the way from back in the 80s! pretty great for its time, you'll see a lot of his obsessions on display here (hypnosis, water, possession, decay, experimental elements within conventional narratives, etc.). i didn't know his work went so far back, this predates "europa" by 5 or 6 years.

throne of blood - macbeth by kurosawa! what more can i say? amazing.

samurai assassin - this was a pretty fucking crummy dvd transfer with horrible subtitles and i couldn't watch it for very long. maybe i missed out, maybe i missed out on some heavy sleep.

joe - two good things here: 1) david gordon green going back to his southern roots (e.g. "george washington"), and 2) nicolas cage in a non-cartoony, non-blockbuster role. yes, he's still himself, but this time his acting fits the part and it's a pretty great movie especially if you like gritty redneck melodramas like "winter's bone" only lots funnier. check it. can get a little brutal but great movie overall.
808858898905906907 908 9099109119189581008 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth