Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Mix Tapes
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.14.2012, 04:29 AM   #541
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Here's how it works:

You make your tape, you send it to me (with some money to cover me sending them on*), I select who gets which tape (randomly), I send the tapes, you get the tape, you listen to the tape, you post here comments about the tape**.

I think we should allow CDs but if you really don't want to receive a CD then say so via pm and I'll make sure you get a tape. Also I presume anybody who can't send a tape will be able to at least play one?!

*I don't know how much yet. I'll check how much it will cost at the PO tomorrow.
**optional.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2012, 04:43 PM   #542
hypertonic
bad moon rising

hypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asses
I'm definitely down. I have a thrift store $5 special deck, a Pioneer, and my Tascam Porta 03. I like to do tape degradation tricks, and sometimes throw some reverb/post processing in there, heh.

I have been wanting to make a 2012 mixtape of some random strange vinyl cuts. This should give me an excuse to get it done. Possibly some original ambient/drone to be included/mixed in..
hypertonic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2012, 06:14 AM   #543
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I don't know if you'd call it a trick or not but my tapes often have one song after another, in a row, on both sides of the tape.
Old 05.15.2012, 11:07 AM   #544
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I fear Spotify is going to kill the mix tape.

In ten years, the entire idea and culture of physical mixtapes is going to be antiquated.

High Fidelity is not going to age well.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2012, 11:10 AM   #545
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian

In ten years, the entire idea and culture of physical mixtapes is going to be antiquated.

Everything happens "in ten years". Why is that?

To be honest the idea of physical mixtapes is already antiquated. This happened "ten years" ago.
Old 05.15.2012, 09:25 PM   #546
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian

Yeah, right. Remember the digital revolution? LPs were going to be a thing of the past by the end of the 80s.

Look around you. Cassette tapes, LPs, they're still around. A few companies, very few, of course, still make NEW cassette decks.

These things are too good to go away completely.
Old 05.22.2012, 03:33 AM   #547
Pookie
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
WHAT TO INCLUDE IN YOUR PACKAGE:

From UK:
1) Your cassette.
2) Your username.
3) Your address.
4) £2

From Europe:
1) Your cassette.
2) Your username.
3) Your address.
4) 3 Euros

From US/Canada:
1) Your cassette.
2) Your username.
3) Your address.
4) $3

pm me if you're definitely doing it and I'll give you the address. Also state in your pm whether you DON'T want to receive a CD.

Shall we say cut off date for getting them to me 30th June so everybody has plenty of time?
Old 05.22.2012, 03:49 AM   #548
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I have a blank tape just sitting there, waiting. Except i have no tape deck to record with...
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2012, 07:50 PM   #549
hypertonic
bad moon rising

hypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
What exactly are degradation tricks......don't believe I've ever heard the term before?

Sometimes, when I have like a really snazzy synth sound, like too snazzy sounding for a lofi track, I record to tape, with a bit of reverb. Then play the recorded synth line (or whatever) through the mixer, with perhaps a bit more reverb , and record again to tape. And again to tape. So its like the 3rd or 4th generation recording. I dunno it gets pretty smeeary/tape saturation/very degraded sound. I'm just using the format to degrade the audio. I always like to say, "Want a new effect? Invent a new format." Not sure how much that pertains to this mixtape, but I'll prob still do something special... not sure yet.. I do love the tape format, and the effects it produces, and if anyone thinks they are out of fashion then they haven't been paying much attention!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
I don't know if you'd call it a trick or not but my tapes often have one song after another, in a row, on both sides of the tape.

yeah thats a good trick! except it doesnt work on my 4-trk/reel tape. Pretty weird hearing Thurston play boths sides of a tape at once tho! Blasphemy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
I have a blank tape just sitting there, waiting. Except i have no tape deck to record with...

You could send a tracklist or upload the mix and have someone dub it to tape??
hypertonic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2012, 01:02 PM   #550
Pookie
invito al cielo

I've pm'd those definitely in.

Anybody else let me know and I'll pm you my address.
Old 06.17.2012, 01:23 PM   #551
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
So in. But I'll have to do a cd as well.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2012, 03:10 AM   #552
Pookie
invito al cielo

I look forward to getting it!

There are a few more people who have promised a tape (or CD).

I've made a tape which I'm not completely happy with. Trouble is my tape deck on my stereo has stopped working. I have a tape player which I'll attempt to connect up. If not the one I've done will have to be it!
Old 07.13.2012, 06:03 AM   #553
Pookie
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Mine is in the mail - you should have it within the next week to ten days......at least that's what the postal lady told me. Please let me know when it arrives.
Arrived this morning!
Old 07.13.2012, 09:36 AM   #554
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
Depends. Where does one get blank cassette tapes these days?

The last time I wanted to put stuff on a tape I ended up going to a charity shop and buying a Michael Bolton tape for 49p, but when I tried to record over it, Mikey kept leaking through. This is, sadly, a true story.

My first ever mix tape was recorded over the Queen album, The Game!
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2012, 10:27 AM   #555
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Can we have one of these for DIGITAL people??

Please??

floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2012, 01:54 PM   #556
Pookie
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
Can we have one of these for DIGITAL people??

Please??

No. Send me a tape.
Old 07.13.2012, 01:57 PM   #557
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
No. Send me a tape.
I was gonna say. The whole point of a mixtape is you didn't just click on shit and go ''that'll do''. Sweat and blood, honey.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2012, 03:08 PM   #558
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I propose my mixing board is more bloody and more sweaty than the bag of technologically unplayable rap music sitting in my closet.

I don't suggest replacing your antiquated medium of trade, simply, perhaps, augmenting it for those of who left the 80's and never looked back.

Cakes: yes pls
Old 07.13.2012, 04:57 PM   #559
Pookie
invito al cielo

How about I just write a list of songs and then you can just listen to them online?

OR we could all record those songs, design a case, put it in an envelope along with a letter of love or a small gift for the organiser, maybe a touch of your favourite scent...

D'you see?
Old 07.13.2012, 07:47 PM   #560
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

That is not at all what I'm talking about.

I get that the ability to artistically combine music into digital tracks is slightly more ellusive to the unwashed masses (a touch of pookie's favoUrite scent), but not for all; and frankly, your cassette-only format is likely just as exclusionary.

Your derision would be better served at mocking the certainly terrible choices in music laid down.
252627 28 29 >
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth