Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page The Eternal
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.10.2010, 10:43 PM   #41
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
The Eternal Kicks All Y'all's Asses... And is one of the many reasons Sonic Youth is such a loved band...
Old 04.11.2010, 03:43 AM   #42
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
The Eternal is a great album, but it is far from being the reason why I love SY.

I do feel that it is currently the best "gateway" youth album. More than any other sy output, The Eternal includes elements of (almost) everything the band has done in the past. Yes, the Eternal is the first record I'd recommend to a first-time listener.
ann ashtray is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2010, 10:45 AM   #43
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
The Eternal is a great album, but it is far from being the reason why I love SY.

I do feel that it is currently the best "gateway" youth album. More than any other sy output, The Eternal includes elements of (almost) everything the band has done in the past. Yes, the Eternal is the first record I'd recommend to a first-time listener.

Yes, very true. As a representation of the more sublime, significant moments in SY history, it does not hold up very well, true. However, as I listen to the record, I recall this is the year 2010; I recall their early releases were made when I was still in my infancy; and now I am 30 years old; and I realise that they have just released a new record, the very one I am listening to. And I realise they haven't compromised yet their dignity or integrity, their artistry and sound remain intact; and for that reason alone, I love The Eternal; and by extension; SY.
Old 05.09.2010, 07:08 AM   #44
alyasa
invito al cielo

Is The Eternal really that mediocre of an album? There seems to be a non-reaction to this album... Is it the effect of being on Matador? Does the Major Label effect really hold sway over moi, the music consumer? Is SY losing its relevance?
Old 05.09.2010, 07:38 AM   #45
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
No way is it mediocre; I think it's one of their best start to finish. Personally, The Eternal and the last two records (Sonic Nurse and Rather Ripped) I see as three of their strongest records, but not many agree.

Tangent aside, I think many here enjoy The Eternal, it's just ironic the actual SY gossip section is generally the least active section on this forum. People are too busy talking about other bands in the non-SY sounds or random tibets in the other section to discuss The Eternal.

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2010, 02:51 PM   #46
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
it's great, but it didn't get me excited like Murray Street or maybe NYCGAF

but it is a great album
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2010, 06:32 PM   #47
alyasa
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy
No way is it mediocre; I think it's one of their best start to finish. Personally, The Eternal and the last two records (Sonic Nurse and Rather Ripped) I see as three of their strongest records, but not many agree.

Tangent aside, I think many here enjoy The Eternal, it's just ironic the actual SY gossip section is generally the least active section on this forum. People are too busy talking about other bands in the non-SY sounds or random tibets in the other section to discuss The Eternal.

~Jeremy~
3 of their strongest? That is strange... What abt DDN, CIS + KYI and BMR? Their early output was the most influential and had the biggest cultural impact; in that it really changed American culture, and to a certain extent; the culture of the world at large... They were that important... Now, I see them making The Eternal, and the hunger in me is gnawing again, like it did in 1990-1991; for that kick, that jam, that fuzz, that dangerous, animal sound... The Eternal is like an appetizer; I feel, and all those Estatic Peace records, and those new hip hop records...; I hope they can lead out to something really kick ass...

I really feel that The Eternal is a marker of sorts, an epochal marker for the state of 'popular' and 'rock' music; where a turning point, or even a boiling point is within the horizon, and all these disparate elements are converging together at some unidentifiable (to me) point at the near-far horizon...

And when it does come; The Eternal will probably be one of the indicators and markers of that paradigm shift... Just sayin'
Old 05.10.2010, 06:31 AM   #48
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
CIS and BMR are good albums, I just personally think the quality of songs is better IMO.

Are they better than Sister, EVOL, or DDN? I don't know, they're different albums. But I think The Eternal is better than any other SY album of the 90s save for Washing Machine (And maybe A Thousand Leaves), but it's all opinion based, really.

~Jeremy~

Old 05.10.2010, 07:31 AM   #49
alyasa
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy
CIS and BMR are good albums, I just personally think the quality of songs is better IMO.

Are they better than Sister, EVOL, or DDN? I don't know, they're different albums. But I think The Eternal is better than any other SY album of the 90s save for Washing Machine (And maybe A Thousand Leaves), but it's all opinion based, really.

~Jeremy~
Yeah really... Coz Dirty is actually one of my favourite SY albums...
Old 06.05.2010, 02:35 PM   #50
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
So now it's about a year old. Are you still thrilled/groovin with it?

I most certainly am. I think it's their best 00s release, and I think the 00s was, on release average, their best decade.
Old 06.05.2010, 02:51 PM   #51
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj

yes....yes I am. I still groove it..on a nice rotation with the other albums.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2010, 04:24 PM   #52
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
Their best of the last decade.
Old 06.05.2010, 05:19 PM   #53
Adrian
empty page

Adrian has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
The Eternal it's a good album, but i like moore the sound of Sonic nurse and NYCGAF.
Adrian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2010, 08:22 AM   #54
Green_mind
the end of the ugly

Green_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's asses
SY are one of those bands I don't really have a favourite album for, but I tend to shift through their albums with the fluctuations of my spirits...
In a way I only kind of wish I had chosen to buy the normal cd case for eternal, because the card sleeve is really annoying to have to open to find the wrong cd inside!
Green_mind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2010, 10:42 AM   #55
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
Still enjoy it as much as the rest of their collection. I find it impossible to pick a favorite album or song, just like Green_mind it depends upon my mood.
Old 06.08.2010, 12:35 PM   #56
Newfoundland
bad moon rising

Newfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's asses
I still think it sucks really bad.

I feel like they are just making "sonic youth music" at this point.
And who can blame them after all these years, but it just doesn´t interest me at all.

If that makes any sense...

Someone please steal their equipment again... ( not meant seriously, but I loved the NYCG&F direction).
Newfoundland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2010, 12:50 PM   #57
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
i hope they make "sonic youth music" forever.

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2010, 01:23 PM   #58
Newfoundland
bad moon rising

Newfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu666
i hope they make "sonic youth music" forever.

Haha... That was the misunderstanding I waiting for...

But not quite what I meant.

I meant "sonic youth music" as in just repeating past periods (worse) instead of really pushing forward. "Thurston rockers" that he can write in his sleep.

If thats what they want to do, good for them. But it is not for me. A disappointing direction for such a innovative band.
Newfoundland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2010, 02:17 PM   #59
Jeremy
100%

I'd rather hear actual songs that I know will be quality then them being "experimental" like on NYCG&F or the Silver Sessions. IMO those albums lack actual songs, actual melodies, actual hooks. Are they unique records? Yes. But that doesn't make them good, IMO.

It's all subjective though, really. A lot of people hate Rather Ripped for how simple it is. I'd much rather listen to Rather Ripped because it actually has songs, riffs, etc than The Silver Sessions which is just a bunch of feedback any band can make. It all depends on which side of the band you like.

~Jeremy~

Old 06.08.2010, 04:45 PM   #60
banditto1969
empty page

banditto1969 kicks all y'all's assesbanditto1969 kicks all y'all's assesbanditto1969 kicks all y'all's assesbanditto1969 kicks all y'all's assesbanditto1969 kicks all y'all's assesbanditto1969 kicks all y'all's assesbanditto1969 kicks all y'all's assesbanditto1969 kicks all y'all's assesbanditto1969 kicks all y'all's assesbanditto1969 kicks all y'all's assesbanditto1969 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj

yes I still love the album. The concert was spectacular, they were spot on.

What I am curious about is I realize they are touring and such, are they still playing those songs for the tour in Europe (a year later)? and are they working on new material, lastly any ideas when we can see their next album?
banditto1969 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth