Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page mark e smith slags off sonic youth (again)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.11.2007, 10:00 AM   #61
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
Rob, add Grotesque After the Gramme to your list, please.

Pretty please...

yeah, slates and dragnet should be there too, then you'll have all the records from their best years, 78 to 82.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2007, 10:15 AM   #62
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
coutry on the click is rubbish
fall heads roll....rubbish
postbblabla tlc...more rubbish

i don't understand at all how peoplewho've heard albums like dragnet or hex enduction hour can enjoy their later output, the music on the last few fall albums is unimaginative and workmanlike. the early fall stuff is easily on the same level of goodness as SY or whoever you care to mention though.

and yes, it is ian svenonius conducting the interview
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2007, 12:16 PM   #63
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantgarde1
...and i've never listened to them becuz the guys a dick, and i don't listen to bands that have dickheads...

so do you know all the members of the bands that you listen to on a personal basis?
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2007, 04:40 PM   #64
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantgarde1
and i've never listened to them becuz the guys a dick, and i don't listen to bands that have dickheads as the iron fisted ruler.

Well that certainly rules out listening to the Velvet Underground, Sex Pistols or P.I.L., Pussy Galore and John Spencer Blues Explosion, The Melvins, Echo & the Bunnymen, David Bowie, The Rolling Stones, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Miles Davis, and quite a few other groups I can think of who I love despite the fact I probably wouldn't invite the front person into my home.

Meanwhile Eddie Vedder seems like a perfectly nice guy from everything I've heard including from friends who played music with him, but that can't possibly make me put up with his horrendous yarling.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2007, 08:51 PM   #65
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
why the fall are one of my all time favorite bands:

Three days
Three months
Three days
Three months
A treatise
A treatise
To explain these
First was cash 'n' carry house dance
In Lancashire they're A
In King Nat Ltd. empire
Kwik Save is there
The scene started here
Then was America

Then was America
We went there
Big A&M Herb was there**
His offices had fresh air
But his rota was mediocre
US purge, rock 'n' pop filth
Their material's filched
And the secret of their lives
Is...

All the English groups
Act like peasants with free milk
On a route
On a route to the loot
To candy mountain
Five wacky English proletariat idiots
Californians always think of sex
Or think of death
Five hundred girl deaths
A Mexico revenge, it's stolen land
They really get it off on
"Don't hurt me please"
Rapist fill the TVs
And the secret of their lives
Is S.E.X..

I have dreams, I can see
Carloads of negro Nazis
Like Faust with beards
Hydrochloric shaved weirds

[Applause from audience at Cyprus Tavern ]

This was going to be called crap rap fourteen,
but it's now Stop Mithering.
The things that drain you off and drive you off the hinge.
Boils, dirty socks, the ceilings collapse.
The Sunday morning loud lawn mower,
the upstairs Jewish girl damn hoovering every thirty minutes,
from valium cig withdrawal.
She wants communal, fluent flat household.
I want privacy.
The bastard dentist doctors surgery,
Clip, clop, ring, knock, ring
Stop mithering***

The estates stick up like stacks
The estates stick up like stacks
The residents keep wild dogs
And on that father's bedroom closet top,
electric blanket boxes
Surplus jonnies, demob pictures
To their children they sing
Stop mithering

You think you've got it bad with thin ties,
miserable songs synthesized, or circles with A in the middle.
Make joke records, hang out with Gary Bushell,
Join round table. "I like your single yer great!"
A circle of low IQ's.
There are three rules of audience.
My journalist acquaintances, go soft, go places,
on record company expenses.
I lose humor, manners become bog writers, don't know it.
The smart hedonists, same as last verse, allusions with
H in electronics, on stage false histrionics,
Corpse mauling dicks, pose through a good film, him, him
Stop mithering

I'm not joining conventional rock band.
The conventional is experimental, the conventional is now
experimental,
And is no way noble, and I'm no chock stock thing.
So stop mithering.
Engineers save up for cars.
I try to let down their tyres with matches to make them molten.
Ouch! Ouch!
They say I rip off Johnny Rotten
They always strike for more pay.
They say "See yer mate..Yeh...see yer mate"
To their mothers they sing
Stop mithering

He even did fail the penile tissue test.
He hangs out for sex.
He enters magazine contest.
White tan horror in the mirror.
Spotty exterior hides a spotty interior.
He's not your enemy.
He's not your enemy, his name is not Harry.
The secret of Cash and Carry.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2007, 03:18 AM   #66
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
so wuold anyone be so kind and tell me what he said exaclty? i couldnt be bothered to watch that vid, and now its not up anymore

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2007, 11:52 AM   #67
NWRA
children of satan

NWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bal
so wuold anyone be so kind and tell me what he said exaclty? i couldnt be bothered that vid, and now its not up anymore

Yeah can someone just type what he said? I spent half an hour on that site before I realised that it had been taken down.

As for The Fall, I'm a fan (obviously, hence the name) and I don't think you can go wrong if you buy all of their (his) albums from Grotesque to The Nation's Saving Grace. Don't be intimidated by how large their discography is! And get the re-releases too, as they include some brilliant singles which were left off the original albums.
NWRA is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2007, 01:04 PM   #68
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
what an old coot!

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2007, 01:29 PM   #69
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I just watched the whole thing like 3 times and he does NOT slag off sonic youth, he just says, in reference to the large festivals, that "even sonic youth look good now!"

what's the big deal?
Old 11.12.2007, 01:58 PM   #70
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses

how fuckin pissed is he?
someone pls translate what he said about sy.. im not sure i got it correctly

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2007, 03:09 PM   #71
GrungeMonkey
100%

GrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard sucka
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi0dCAqmF10
GrungeMonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2007, 03:55 PM   #72
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
fuck that... this is a classic mark moment. its long but worth it!
WATCH IT AND LEARN HOW TO COMMUNICATE TO THE MASSES....
Old 11.15.2007, 12:55 AM   #73
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
dont care. i like the fall and brix was a hot bitch in her day but mark e smith is a crotchety bastard
hey look kevin shields
Cantankerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2007, 01:02 AM   #74
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses

look at the man. christ, he must be 70 or 80 by now!
he is one damn ugly man

stay hot brix
Cantankerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2007, 01:09 AM   #75
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
a-fuckin-men, brother deadeth aireth.

oh and hey avantgarde273467236...dont listen to iggy and the stooges either. that iggy was an asshole if there ever was a such thing.

I thought about putting Iggy on my list too, but actually, every interview I've ever read or seen with him, he seems incredibly nice. Sure he was violent, but mostly just to himself. Even on the Tomorrow show he comes off seeming intelligent and polite right after rocking "Dog Food" on network t.v. (sure it was the middle of the night, but it was also the '70s!) He was a junkie for some time, so he must have fucked somebody over, but I can't actually think of a single story I've read of it. This despite hanging out with Reed and Bowie both, who are two of the evilest sons of bitches ever to walk the earth if a tenth of their biographies can be believed.
Old 11.15.2007, 01:28 AM   #76
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
well...hes always had two personalities, and there was a time to where hed switch between the two at a moments notice...like bi-polar or something. he treated ron and scotty like shit after he befriended bowie. and eventually more or less treated james williamson like shit too.

but ron and scotty...he really fucked those guys over.

i dont care though, i like iggy. i like james osterberg too.

Yeah, I guess he was known for not treating the Ashetons that well, but then they sure forgave him. Williamson is rather notorious for being a huge prick on his own, and getting what he deserved.

I'm probably just biased by Iggy's charm. In Coffee and Cigarettes it's totally hilarious watching him suck up to Tom Waits and Waits treating him like a dick!
Old 11.15.2007, 04:54 AM   #77
sarramkrop

On a lighter note, I didn't know until recently that The Fall named 'High-Tension Line' on Shift Work after La Monte Young's 'The Second Dream Of The High-Tension Line - Stepdown Transformer'. The chorus of the song in question goes 'High-Tension Line - Stepdown'. How cool is that?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2007, 07:35 AM   #78
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
for the record.. mark e smith is 51 years old!

born 3rd of march in 1957!
Old 11.15.2007, 10:55 AM   #79
kenning
little trouble girl

kenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, and thurston claims he was comparing his first encounter with the swell maps to the fall's music, this on the liner notes to that swell maps compilation mute put out in the early 90s. that'd mean the fall were a benchmark for thurston in the late 1970s!

the fall were a great band and their best records stand up to anything and everything happening today. in my opinion, you're nowhere without owning "this nation's saving grace"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Smith says and does many stupid things when he's drunk, which is of course, a whole lot of the time. And the one time I saw them live it was a disgrace.

However, you are seriously missing out if you truly never heard the Fall. They've been pretty hit and miss for decades, but early stuff like Live at the Witch Trials, Hex Enduction Hour, and the Wonderful and Frightenting World of... are every bit the "groundbreaking underground avant garde music" you speak of and have nothing in common with the pop new wave bands you mention. Instead they mined the middle ground somewhere between No Wave and Kraut Rock in an entirely individualist regional manner that made for some of the most challenging rock of it's day.

Seriously Rob, if you haven't ever heard them, you should do yourself a favor. Listening to Mark E. Smith's pissed prattling today, no, nobody should have to do that, but that has nothing to do with the Fall's recorded legacy (and their later output is still often significantly better than that by, say, the Butthole Surfers or Bob Mould).

I'm sure Thurston was B.S.ing when he said they hadn't heard the Fall when they covered those songs in '88. We are talking about one of the world's all time biggest record collectors and a legendary band here. I'm sure if any of us had Thurston's deadpan monotone voice and every two-bit indie-wanker journalist in the world asking us stupid questions, we'd tell some whoppers to see what they'd believe too.
kenning is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2007, 08:10 PM   #80
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBUiPs1PxKo

this really is the best thing in the history of everything ever

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth