Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.11.2023, 09:38 AM   #25501
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
there is no POINT to the story either.

Fuck that movie.
Old 07.11.2023, 09:41 AM   #25502
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

Fuck that movie.
gordon lightfoot! xD

for me there are many good observations about the human condition in it
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2023, 12:13 PM   #25503
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Fuck that movie.

*shakes Rob’s hand firmly*
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2023, 01:16 PM   #25504
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Colm Doherty: I was too harsh yesterday.

Pádraic Súilleabháin: Yesterday, he says! I know well you was too harsh yesterday.

Colm Doherty: I just... I just have this tremendous sense of time slipping away on me, Padraic. And I think I need to spend the time I have left thinking and composing. Just trying not to listen to any more of the dull things you have to say for yourself. But I am sorry about it. I am, like.

Pádraic Súilleabháin: Are you dying?

Colm Doherty: No, I'm not dying.

Pádraic Súilleabháin: But then you have loads of time.

Colm Doherty: For chatting?

Pádraic Súilleabháin: Aye.

Colm Doherty: For aimless chatting?

Pádraic Súilleabháin: Not for aimless chatting. For good, normal chatting.

Colm Doherty: So we'll keep aimlessly chatting and my life will keep on dwindling. And in 12 years, I'll die with nothin' to show for it, bar the chats I've had with a limited man, is that it?

Pádraic Súilleabháin: I said, "not aimless chatting" I said "Good, normal chatting."

Colm Doherty: The other night, two hours, you spent talking to me about the things you found in your little donkey's shite that day. Two hours, Padraic. I timed it.

Pádraic Súilleabháin: Well it wasn't me little donkey's shite, was it? It was me pony's shite. Which shows how much you were listenin'.

Colm Doherty: None of it helps me. Do you understand? None of it helps me.

Pádraic Súilleabháin: [after Colm leaves] We'll just talk about something else, then!
Old 07.11.2023, 05:25 PM   #25505
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
Colm Doherty: I was too harsh yesterday.

Pádraic Súilleabháin: Yesterday, he says! I know well you was too harsh yesterday.

Colm Doherty: I just... I just have this tremendous sense of time slipping away on me, Padraic. And I think I need to spend the time I have left thinking and composing. Just trying not to listen to any more of the dull things you have to say for yourself. But I am sorry about it. I am, like.

Pádraic Súilleabháin: Are you dying?

Colm Doherty: No, I'm not dying.

Pádraic Súilleabháin: But then you have loads of time.

Colm Doherty: For chatting?

Pádraic Súilleabháin: Aye.

Colm Doherty: For aimless chatting?

Pádraic Súilleabháin: Not for aimless chatting. For good, normal chatting.

Colm Doherty: So we'll keep aimlessly chatting and my life will keep on dwindling. And in 12 years, I'll die with nothin' to show for it, bar the chats I've had with a limited man, is that it?

Pádraic Súilleabháin: I said, "not aimless chatting" I said "Good, normal chatting."

Colm Doherty: The other night, two hours, you spent talking to me about the things you found in your little donkey's shite that day. Two hours, Padraic. I timed it.

Pádraic Súilleabháin: Well it wasn't me little donkey's shite, was it? It was me pony's shite. Which shows how much you were listenin'.

Colm Doherty: None of it helps me. Do you understand? None of it helps me.

Pádraic Súilleabháin: [after Colm leaves] We'll just talk about something else, then!

It’s wild that you think Padraic is the bigger asshole. Like sure, he’s codependent (or maybe just regular dependent since no one’s co-ing with him?) but he’s also just a sad frumpy bastard who’s like, Why the fuck is my friend just ceasing communication with me and only me?

Sure, one shouldn’t hold anyone else’s attention or emotional energy hostage, that’s fucked up, but one should also probably not power play social dynamics for no real reason. That’s weird, manipulative bullshit and if someone said that shit to me I’d be hurt but I’d also be like: We’ll La-dee-da, lookit you and your precious time, cry me a puddle dicksmear, you pretentious taint. Get fucked.

That’s what I’d say.

Anyway blah
Old 07.11.2023, 06:26 PM   #25506
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Siobhan Súilleabháin: Has he said somethin' to ya when he was drunk?

Colm Doherty: No, I prefer him when he's drunk. It's all the rest of the time I have the problem with.

Siobhan Súilleabháin: What's the fecking matter, then?

Colm Doherty: He's dull, Siobhan.

Siobhan Súilleabháin: He's what?

Colm Doherty: He's dull.

Siobhan Súilleabháin: But he's always been dull. What's changed?

Colm Doherty: I've changed. I just don't have a place for dullness in me life anymore.

Siobhan Súilleabháin: But you live on an island off the coast of Ireland, Colm. What the hell are you hoping for, like?

Colm Doherty: For a bit of peace, Siobhan. That's all. For a bit of peace in me heart, like. You can understand that. Can't ya? Can't ya?
Old 07.11.2023, 06:27 PM   #25507
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Pádraic Súilleabháin: They don't think I'm dim or anything?

Siobhan Súilleabháin: Dim? No.

Pádraic Súilleabháin: You don't seem very sure about it.

Siobhan Súilleabháin: Of course, I'm sure about it.

Pádraic Súilleabháin: Dominic's the dim one on the island, isn't he?

Siobhan Súilleabháin: He is, aye. By miles.

Pádraic Súilleabháin: Uh, hang on, by miles. And then, who's the next dimmest?

Siobhan Súilleabháin: Well, I don't like to judge people in those terms now, do I?

Pádraic Súilleabháin: In what terms?

Siobhan Súilleabháin: In order of their dimness.

Pádraic Súilleabháin: Well, I know you don't. And neither do I, do I? But try, like.

Siobhan Súilleabháin: No! I won't try. There's enough judgy people on this fecking island, so no! You're not dim! You're a nice man, all right? So, move on!

Pádraic Súilleabháin: I'm as clever as you, anyways. I know that at least.

Siobhan Súilleabháin: Yeah, don't be fucking stupid.
Old 07.11.2023, 06:29 PM   #25508
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Pádraic Súilleabháin: It's about your daddy.

Declan: What about Daddy?

Pádraic Súilleabháin: Uh, bread van crashed into him.

Declan: The bread van?

Pádraic Súilleabháin: Yeah. They said you'd best hurry home to him, lest he should die all alone.

Declan: Die?

Pádraic Súilleabháin: Or get worse, all alone.

Declan: This is impossible.

Pádraic Súilleabháin: It's not impossible. Bread vans crash into people all the time.

Declan: I know! That's how me mammy died. If it's the same fecking bread van, I'll kill them.
Old 07.11.2023, 08:16 PM   #25509
Severian
invito al cielo

Are … Are you retyping this or did you find a script to copy/paste?

I swear if you’re TRANSCRIBING this shit I will buy a ticket to wherever you live — New Mexico or something — and I will take you to a concert or something
Old 07.11.2023, 08:31 PM   #25510
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

first i found imdb quotes now i found the screenplay for some crucial bits. the fucking cop DOES fiddle dominic after all, i'm sad to say, it was not an invention, just details i missed or blanked out in recollection.

--

but anyway this follows that revelation:

--

PADRAIC takes a drink, hurt by the description.

PADRAIC
Well I have been less of a whiny little dull-arse, actually...

DOMINIC
Have ya, yeah?

PADRAIC
Just yesterday, hah! There’s this musician fella Colm was getting along
great with, and what did I do? I went and sent him packing from the island!

DOMINIC
(Did ya?) How?!

PADRAIC
I told him a bread van had crashed into his Daddy, and he’d have to be rushing home to him, lest he die!

DOMINIC slowly loses his smile and just looks at PADRAIC, taking all this in.

DOMINIC
Oh. That sounds like the meanest thing I ever heard.

PADRAIC
Hah? Well... aye, it was a bit mean, but he’ll be fine once he gets home and
finds his daddy hasn’t been hit be a bread van. And how can that be the meanest thing you ever heard?! Your Daddy killed a little Japanese man!

DOMINIC
I used to think you were the nicest of them. Turns out you’re just the same as them.

PADRAIC
I am the nicest of them.

DOMINIC
I thought you were a happy lad.

PADRAIC
I am a happy lad.

DOMINIC shakes his head sadly as he heads away...

PADRAIC (CONT'D) Ar Dominic, now!
(calling out)
Well maybe I’m not a happy lad, so! Maybe being a happy lad just doesn’t cut the custard any more!

DOMINIC
(to himself quietly)
Mustard.
(or just a wince)

PADRAIC
Maybe this is the new me!

DOMINIC glances back sadly, then continues on. PADRAIC notices DOMINIC has left his bottle behind, so he drinks a big gulp...

PADRAIC (CONT'D)
Aye. Maybe this is the new me.

...then walks away with it in the opposite direction, drinking.
Old 07.12.2023, 03:39 PM   #25511
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
gordon lightfoot! xD

for me there are many good observations about the human condition in it

every "observation" in that shit "film" is basic, obvious, and pointlessly unnecessary.
Old 07.12.2023, 03:43 PM   #25512
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

After much discussion with my wife (Mexican) it was determined that Mexican people and Irish peole are super-similar, obsessed with pain, suffering, sadness, and endless romantic travails.

Fuck ALL THAT SHIT

I am PUERTO RICAN. I live for "burla", jokes, putting down anything and everything, talking FAST, and telling it like it is. Puerto Ricans (for the most part) do not wallow in their grief, or force their families to carry generational sadnesses. We ARE TOO PISSED OFF!!!!
Old 07.12.2023, 09:01 PM   #25513
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
After much discussion with my wife (Mexican) it was determined that Mexican people and Irish peole are super-similar, obsessed with pain, suffering, sadness, and endless romantic travails.

Fuck ALL THAT SHIT

I am PUERTO RICAN. I live for "burla", jokes, putting down anything and everything, talking FAST, and telling it like it is. Puerto Ricans (for the most part) do not wallow in their grief, or force their families to carry generational sadnesses. We ARE TOO PISSED OFF!!!!
by your own account then you're more mexican than boricua, cuz all you see here is misery, while everyone else sees burla.

it is a fucking hilarious movie. just not for the little burro though, the poor bastard, but shit, that fucker sleeps with barn animals, that cannot be not-comedy.

the dumbfuck who cuts his own fingers, how can his absurdity not be hilarious as well.

anyway, mexicans actually laugh at death.

they write funny verses about it, have parties, eat sugar skulls and pan de muerto, have a party at the cemetery with their dead, drink tequila, the works. no misery or boohoo. acceptance and laughter.

la llorona, the mythical ghost woman who cries for her lost children, is actually a ghoul, not a welcome presence in any folktale. mexicans don't like boohoo.

the irish are the best of english writers. swift, wilde, joyce, beckett... all of them very funny too.

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1080
Old 07.12.2023, 09:27 PM   #25514
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Threads. I thought it was a new documentary on the social media network released last week...turns out it's much less dark and from 1984.
Old 07.13.2023, 09:30 AM   #25515
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Pertaining to the Banshees of Inisherin discussion:

Both of the protags are insufferable in their own way:

Padraic is so obsessed with being "the nice guy" that he completely disregards the boundaries of a person he supposedly cares about deeply. Throughout the film, he shows that the outward appearance of "niceness" and his chummy demeanor mean more to him than the actual well-being of those around him.

And Colm is a suffering artist who puts the suffering front and center. He is like a petulant child. He could have set small boundaries like having a few days of the week to himself, or he could have moved away. Yes, there are battles going on elsewhere, but he's pretty close to suicidal anyway. Don't think someone who would be willing to mutilate himself like that, would shy away from that sort of danger. But no, he's making a stupid game out of this, even leading people on by claiming he started to "like" Padraic's drunk self again.

The only person with any sense in this movie is Padraic's sister Siobhán. She saw the island for the void it is and moved the fuck out. Good for her.

The movie operates on themes rather than a very straightforward message and I loved it for exactly that. The island was sort of a stand-in for the vicious circles we find ourselves in throughout our lives. Malaise and depression permeate its atmosphere. There are also a lot of allegories for how hard it is to get out of toxic relationships. Siobhán managed to do this - her toxic relationship being with the environment itself. Colm and Padraic are too stubborn and too foolish to see what they need to be doing for themselves. Padraic's fear of being abandoned clouds his better judgement and Colm's self-hatred manifests in his unreasonable spiral of destruction and self-destruction.

The Banshees Of Inisherin is not a feel-good movie, but a really great one. Its protags are both unlikeable and likeable, in certain instances even relatable. It's complicated and that's what keeps it interesting and 3-dimensional. Loved the shit out of this movie.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2023, 10:46 AM   #25516
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagon
Pertaining to the Banshees of Inisherin discussion:

Both of the protags are insufferable in their own way:

Padraic is so obsessed with being "the nice guy" that he completely disregards the boundaries of a person he supposedly cares about deeply. Throughout the film, he shows that the outward appearance of "niceness" and his chummy demeanor mean more to him than the actual well-being of those around him.

And Colm is a suffering artist who puts the suffering front and center. He is like a petulant child. He could have set small boundaries like having a few days of the week to himself, or he could have moved away. Yes, there are battles going on elsewhere, but he's pretty close to suicidal anyway. Don't think someone who would be willing to mutilate himself like that, would shy away from that sort of danger. But no, he's making a stupid game out of this, even leading people on by claiming he started to "like" Padraic's drunk self again.

The only person with any sense in this movie is Padraic's sister Siobhán. She saw the island for the void it is and moved the fuck out. Good for her.

The movie operates on themes rather than a very straightforward message and I loved it for exactly that. The island was sort of a stand-in for the vicious circles we find ourselves in throughout our lives. Malaise and depression permeate its atmosphere. There are also a lot of allegories for how hard it is to get out of toxic relationships. Siobhán managed to do this - her toxic relationship being with the environment itself. Colm and Padraic are too stubborn and too foolish to see what they need to be doing for themselves. Padraic's fear of being abandoned clouds his better judgement and Colm's self-hatred manifests in his unreasonable spiral of destruction and self-destruction.

The Banshees Of Inisherin is not a feel-good movie, but a really great one. Its protags are both unlikeable and likeable, in certain instances even relatable. It's complicated and that's what keeps it interesting and 3-dimensional. Loved the shit out of this movie.

now that's a review!

not because you said you like it, which is ultimately irrelevant for the quality of the discussion, but for the quality of your discussion.

i really liked how you did not get lost in the details (which is something i did), but were able to reduce the entire mess to clear and cogent aesthetic judgments. which i enjoyed reading.

as i often say to you--please write more!
Old 07.14.2023, 06:44 AM   #25517
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
People getting upset over an animal dying in a fictional story?! foken vegetarians man!
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2023, 11:20 AM   #25518
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
People getting upset over an animal dying in a fictional story?! foken vegetarians man!
the frogs killed one first!

spoilers: the donkey is god!

great fucking movie

-

ps happy birthday french revolution
Old 07.14.2023, 11:40 AM   #25519
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I dont need reminding that the world and people are shit.
Old 07.14.2023, 03:30 PM   #25520
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
Funny, that's how I feel about Marvel.
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
776117612261266127312741275 1276 127712781279 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth