Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page shoegaze
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.25.2009, 10:47 PM   #21
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
he's much better within the context of the band.

but yeah fuck sonic youth, i'm listening to robert plant sounding like hes about to about to sneeze/cum
Old 08.25.2009, 11:26 PM   #22
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
matter of fact, if ya pay attention to the way thurston plays (ie...using his thumb in places most guitarist wouldnt consider) its quit obvious that he himself was taking notes from hendrix.
That was also a John Fahey technique.

It's always pretty problematic to suppose that one man invented certain guitar maneuvers and that everyone else after must certainly have learned it from that one person.

Post hoc ergo proctor hoc fallacy.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2009, 09:10 AM   #23
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Hendrix is better than anything shoegaze ever shat out on the earth
Old 08.26.2009, 09:13 AM   #24
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
are cocteau twins technically considered shoegaze? cuz i fucking love them! i don't care!

notyourfiend is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2009, 10:01 AM   #25
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Led Zepp is the shit. Nearly all bands of today were in someway influenced by them. You don't think SY was influenced by Zep? They are the very definition of experimental music.

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2009, 10:34 AM   #26
kierkegaarden
children of satan

kierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyourfiend
are cocteau twins technically considered shoegaze? cuz i fucking love them! i don't care!

I think they could be so marginally by the "dreampop" association.

I have a soft spot for some of the current noisier incarnations of shoegaze, much of what happened in the Virginia scene (Skywave, Alcian Blue) that migrated to NYC (APTBS, Screen Vinyl Image). None of the shit like Asobi Sucksu or Fleeting Joys are in the least bit interesting beyond being fines example of how well a band of competent musicians can emulate albums like Loveless or bands like Ride once their conventions have been firmly established. Fucking fetish and the regression of the listener and what not.

Now, the Goslings--an album like Grandeur of Hair--fucking inestimable.
kierkegaarden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2009, 12:29 PM   #27
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
OK, not to pick on anyone, but Led Zeppelin are not the alpha and omega of rock music. Yeah, they had some good songs and did a lot of stuff "first", but they also had some total crap as well (D'Yer Mak'er, I'm looking at you).

They were a solid band, but I just hate it when people act like they're the greatest band there will ever be and all others should humble themselves before them.
Old 08.26.2009, 12:30 PM   #28
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
OK, not to pick on anyone, but Led Zeppelin are not the alpha and omega of rock music. Yeah, they had some good songs and did a lot of stuff "first", but they also had some total crap as well (D'Yer Mak'er, I'm looking at you).

They were a solid band, but I just hate it when people act like they're the greatest band there will ever be and all others should humble themselves before them.

they tend to really fuckin annoy me. masturbation rock. if i have to hear stairway one more time....

Old 08.26.2009, 02:48 PM   #29
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL
Led Zepp is the shit. Nearly all bands of today were in someway influenced by them. You don't think SY was influenced by Zep? They are the very definition of experimental music.
Steve Shelley thinks Yes were better.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2009, 09:51 PM   #30
iloverain4ever
empty page

iloverain4ever kicks all y'all's assesiloverain4ever kicks all y'all's assesiloverain4ever kicks all y'all's assesiloverain4ever kicks all y'all's assesiloverain4ever kicks all y'all's assesiloverain4ever kicks all y'all's assesiloverain4ever kicks all y'all's assesiloverain4ever kicks all y'all's assesiloverain4ever kicks all y'all's assesiloverain4ever kicks all y'all's assesiloverain4ever kicks all y'all's asses
my feelings are hurt. they are not shoegaze
iloverain4ever is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2009, 03:39 AM   #31
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
they tend to really fuckin annoy me. masturbation rock. if i have to hear stairway one more time....

And they stole most of the songs on their first album. It's only on recent reissues that they've started crediting the original songwriters. wankers.

listening mirror @ Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/listening-mirror

Florya is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2009, 08:52 AM   #32
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Are you guys only taking into account the led zep on the radio or what? I don't think they were the kings of rock, but I hold major respect for thier skills. No one can sing like that.
FUCK STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN!
Why do people think this is the only song they ever played? It's is the weakest one they ever played. Like most everything that is good they turned to shit after awhile..I cannot bear to listen to later records. Do not judge them by what you hear on Rock 105. Really listen to some of the old shit like "Babe I'm gonna Leave You". Absolute perfection! "I can't quit you" what kind of pill popper can't relate to that? Anything off of LZ III "Since I been lovin you"..."Gallows pole"

The strings are great.. they don't stick with the conventional electric guitar they introduce mandolins, fiddles orchestral strings, amazing acoustic guitar (when you can keep up with page on yr acoustic then you got the right to talk trash) banjo, steal guitar (Page played the instruments not studio mocsicains like today)...percussion is brilliant....and Robert Plant...there are not words to describe how his voice makes me FEEL. I am a vocalist and respect his range of notes and precision and passion. He was one of the greatest singers ever in my book.
And who really gives a fuck if they "Stole" thier music from other songwriters anyway? Who doesn't? What band doesn't do some one else's songs? Pretty much every one I have heard has.

Old 08.27.2009, 09:48 AM   #33
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

^ I never said that Stairway is there only song, it's just the one I always wind up hearing and could def do without.

That being said, Zeppelin just never did it for me. I respect the fact that they were innovative i guess but they never hit me the same way that a lot of other musicians of the same era did. I've always mostly found myself annoyed. Oh well.

Old 08.27.2009, 12:52 PM   #34
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Black Sabbath stomp, mangle, and destroy Led Zeppelin any day of the week.
Old 08.27.2009, 02:17 PM   #35
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Quote:
^ I never said that Stairway is there only song, it's just the one I always wind up hearing and could def do without.

That being said, Zeppelin just never did it for me. I respect the fact that they were innovative i guess but they never hit me the same way that a lot of other musicians of the same era did. I've always mostly found myself annoyed. Oh well.

that's cool

Old 08.27.2009, 02:27 PM   #36
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Hell yes, Black Sabbath rock!
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2009, 02:30 PM   #37
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeballGrowth
I strongly consider that to be incorrect. I think Led Zep and Jimi Hendrix are unbelievably overrated. Jimi because he's dead and also because was the first person ever to play the electric guitar in that way. But I've heard shoegaze bands that I consider to be miles ahead of both of them. There's no point in even trying to compare them anyway

funny, I think Jimi Hendrix is completely UNDERRATED because people only judge his work on tunes like Hey Joe, Purple Haze and Foxey Lady, but rarely get into his final work like Room Full of Mirrors, Coming in From the Storm, Izabella, Cherokee Mist.. etc etc

Essentially Jimi Henrdix is underrated like Bob Marley, people only listen to exodus or jamming and think they know bob marley, but they never got into Survival or Confrontation.. the same with jimi. listening to a few played out singles does not count.. listening to smells like is not nirvana.. listening to jamming is not bob marley, listening to the american anthem is not henrdix.. and no, hendrix is NOT overrated. people don't know JACK SHIT about hendrix on the real!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2009, 04:25 PM   #38
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Why does it matter. I love em both. I probably listen to Black Sabbath more, but I still think Led Zep were as good as they were in different ways.
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2009, 04:47 PM   #39
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
black sabbath are eviler which gives them a leg up but they have the disadvantage of not having jimmy page
Old 09.01.2010, 12:52 PM   #40
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Does anyone like the band LUSH? I bought some records of theirs for dirt cheap a year or two ago, and recent revisions has made me consider them in the top 3 bands to come from this scene.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth