Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sonic youth fan accidentally reaches meeting bodhisattva vow : )
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.29.2014, 08:07 PM   #1
rocky
bad moon rising

rocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's asses
Hi!! : ) This is my entry in the sonik life sort of sonic youth related/music and art related partial and joyful culmination of life! It isn't exactly straightforward but not too complicated compared to what must be the glorious timelessnesses of many sonic youth and grateful dead fan collective consciousness oddyseys!
I am a person like many who feel that nature / consciousness for me aligns to being a bodhisattva. i have been on sort of a long term trance that has led me through discovering music and language, trying to understand what is actually happening in life, what is the future, who are we? discovering and loving sonic youth art and music and travelling through a peculiar, simple, and eventually astonishingly paranormal yet still gently awkward existence.

My individual sort of completion of bodhisattva nature is to provide that the word "me" describes all beings that have ever existed. in some cases human language and tradition has lost or not noticed ways in which "me" is basically the pi number of each language. Me is a word that can be expressed for fun, experiment, healing, practice, in spoken language/other language in place of other words used in place of me including the language equivalent of "i" or "my" and with it creates a deep sense of boundlessness of being, as well as the linguistic logic to remember that the word "me" basically contains a simple type of stargate/dimensional opening to all beings when used in language.

I'm not sure yet where or how to share this, but, i know that many people here know about the bodhisattva vow and also just poems, language, music, art, and consciousness. Finding out that the word "me" in language has a secret or hidden positive potential for everyone to be in some ways much more free as beings (to be what me truly is!!) is pretty abstract but i am honored and excited to share with everyone!
Old 03.29.2014, 08:34 PM   #2
another
little trouble girl

another kicks all y'all's assesanother kicks all y'all's assesanother kicks all y'all's assesanother kicks all y'all's assesanother kicks all y'all's assesanother kicks all y'all's assesanother kicks all y'all's assesanother kicks all y'all's assesanother kicks all y'all's assesanother kicks all y'all's assesanother kicks all y'all's asses

another is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2014, 09:04 AM   #3
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
very interesting.....

The Universe is infinite.
There is no center
There is no edge
we are born of the Universe
we die into the Universe
we are never outside the Universe
there is no god......
Old 04.02.2014, 08:31 AM   #4
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
there is no god......

but that doesn't mean there is no Creator -

reality is simply perception - and consciousness isn't limited to the placement of your skull.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2014, 09:11 AM   #5
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
there is no creator. fact.
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2014, 09:30 AM   #6
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
but that doesn't mean there is no Creator -

reality is simply perception - and consciousness isn't limited to the placement of your skull.

I was talking about this with my wife last night.

I have been reading a TON about the history of religions and gods and the development of deities throughout recorded history.
Most all religions reach a place where the philosophers detach the deity from the personal day to day life of humanity and the world, and label the deity (whether Zeus, Yahweh, Allah, Mithra, Ahura Mazda, etc) as the ALL, the unknowable whole.

this sometimes results in backlash from the devout, because they like their personal gods, interacting and receiving prayers and rituals and such. If it does not then the gods die because they are useless to the day to day lives of men.

Buddhists do not believe in any creator or god or supreme being. They do not have to worry about pleasing a deity or waiting for a "reward" after a life lived a certain way.

If there is a creator to the Universe, then that creator entity is not one we can ever know, or even begin to approximate. we may as well act as if it is not there.
Old 04.02.2014, 09:30 AM   #7
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky
Hi!! : ) This is my entry in the sonik life sort of sonic youth related/music and art related partial and joyful culmination of life! It isn't exactly straightforward but not too complicated compared to what must be the glorious timelessnesses of many sonic youth and grateful dead fan collective consciousness oddyseys!
I am a person like many who feel that nature / consciousness for me aligns to being a bodhisattva. i have been on sort of a long term trance that has led me through discovering music and language, trying to understand what is actually happening in life, what is the future, who are we? discovering and loving sonic youth art and music and travelling through a peculiar, simple, and eventually astonishingly paranormal yet still gently awkward existence.

My individual sort of completion of bodhisattva nature is to provide that the word "me" describes all beings that have ever existed. in some cases human language and tradition has lost or not noticed ways in which "me" is basically the pi number of each language. Me is a word that can be expressed for fun, experiment, healing, practice, in spoken language/other language in place of other words used in place of me including the language equivalent of "i" or "my" and with it creates a deep sense of boundlessness of being, as well as the linguistic logic to remember that the word "me" basically contains a simple type of stargate/dimensional opening to all beings when used in language.

I'm not sure yet where or how to share this, but, i know that many people here know about the bodhisattva vow and also just poems, language, music, art, and consciousness. Finding out that the word "me" in language has a secret or hidden positive potential for everyone to be in some ways much more free as beings (to be what me truly is!!) is pretty abstract but i am honored and excited to share with everyone!

my advice to anyone on the bodhisattva path is "careful!".
Old 04.02.2014, 09:34 AM   #8
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

as far as Bodhisattva's go, it is all filigree and embellishment to the true teachings of the one called Buddha. he never claimed divinity. he never claimed that he lived past lives as a Boddhisattva. all those concepts were created by the followers of Buddhism in the centuries after the Buddha's death. It is all non-sense basically to appeal to the masses who demand a personal god or personal beings to pray to to interact with the universe for our sake.

Just like early Christians who instead of seeing Jesus for what he was, a reformer, claimed him to be the actual incarnation of god, creating the trinity problem which Mohammed thought was so fucking stupid on the part of the Christians.
Old 04.02.2014, 10:38 AM   #9
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

a bodhisattva is one who attains enlightenment but choses to turn back to his fellows to spread teachings, out of a sense of compassion.

if you understand enlightenment as a supernatural state then it sounds like embellishment.

but it is also a perfectly cogent use of the term if you understand it symbolically. since enlightenment is in fact the default state for all entities - human and non human, and attaining it is not difficult, it is possible to be a bodhisatva today. the author of that link is an example of one.

but it depends on what teachings you chose to bring back and offer the world, and if they are accepted, understood or misunderstood.

rocky offers us "me" as something like a mantra that reveals the interdependence of all sentient beings, and their potential to access a boundless sense of freedom. a kind of affirmation in which the self identifies with a linguistic code.

-

you are correct about how problematic the term bodhisattva can be, since its a rare instance in which buddhism sadly incorporates concepts of an omnipotent god. i'd just point out that this is the exception rather than the rule, and that it is in no way canonical or common.

jesus might have been a reformer, but he was also convinced the world was ending within his lifetime.
Old 04.02.2014, 10:53 AM   #10
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

the path of the buddha is difficult and fraught with danger.

the western schools are corrupt, greedy money scams and subservience to capitalism. false teachings preaching quietude and conformity, (and of course the wise ones have to get their cut)...

it's a long way to central dogma and colonel katsuragi is on the intercom suggesting you're better off surrendering than engaging the enemy.

even if you can make it there without going down or going mad, are you prepared for what you might find?

when the doctrines which cannot be revealed are finally spoken by the master, or the foolish/brave independent student stumbles across them by accident, will you have the necessary understanding and fortitude to avoid falling into ummatta?

better turn back, this corridor is blocked off with bakelite... you hurry off back the way you came until you hear the echoes of gunshots coming closer and closer... you're alone now, surrounded by enemies. you cannot speak out loud lest they hear you...

you overhear the enemies communications on your radio, "retreat, this area has been targeted for demolition". one of the lifts might still be operative, are you REALLY prepared to keep going and discover what NERV has been working on? what exactly is it that you think you'll find down there anyway? and if you get down there, how can you make it back to the surface in time... where even more soldiers are lying in wait... you still want to push ahead? i ask again, what is it you expect to find down there?

your own rotting corpse smiling back at you? or something much worse...
Old 04.02.2014, 11:09 AM   #11
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

the definition of a Bodhisattva is fine and dandy, and it is what it is, but the subsequent expansion of the Buddhist idea into theology has turned them into venerated saints capable of interacting with us and on behalf of us, which is not the intent of the original Buddhist thought.
Old 04.02.2014, 11:12 AM   #12
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

exactly. but we can ignore it and sweep it under the carpet.

all the important texts are there and it doesn't detract from that. there has been as much bullshit to happen associated with buddhism as with any other religion. that's humanity for ya.
Old 04.02.2014, 01:17 PM   #13
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Buddhists do not believe in any creator or god or supreme being. They do not have to worry about pleasing a deity or waiting for a "reward" after a life lived a certain way.

If there is a creator to the Universe, then that creator entity is not one we can ever know, or even begin to approximate. we may as well act as if it is not there.

See, I'm not sure "the Creator" and the Supreme Being are the necessarily same...aaah to return the universe of undifferentiated plasma
Old 04.02.2014, 11:51 PM   #14
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
You guys are cute. Always love the cuteness of spiritual nihilism

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2014, 02:18 AM   #15
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

you seem quite threatened by it actually

please dont call me a spiritualist
Old 04.03.2014, 08:43 AM   #16
tesla69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
spiritual nihilism

I'm puzzled by what you mean by this. :-)

Nihilism is the belief that current social and political structures are so corrupt they must be utterly destroyed without any plan to their replacement - the idea being we are also absolutely corrupt and any plan we might have would also be absolutely corrupt.

I can't quite click on what the 2 words together mean...its early...
Old 04.03.2014, 09:44 AM   #17
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

If an intelligent non-corporeal entity created the whole of existance, and set it up so it would be favorable to life, hopefully leading to self-conscious life, would not that creator entity have set up some way for those who achieve sentience to "contact" or "commune" with it?

In all the reading I have done, no matter what the religious details, most of the deep thinkers of those beliefs state that death is likely to be the elimination of your "self-identity" as an "individual" consciousness, when you merge with the One/Prime Source of all. Supposedly this is the choice that the Buddha made, NOT to join up with eternity and instead to stay in our plane of existence to help others reach that joining.

The "self" is obliterated at the moment of illumination/nirvana/heaven etc. if this is true, and most all mystics seem to think this is what happens, then the "aftelife" is nothing like what is taught by religions, and instead is more like the dissipation of our tiny consciousness into the vast eternal wellspring of all consciousness. Like a drop of water joining an ocean, it is no longer definable as a drop.

heavy stuff
Old 04.03.2014, 10:20 AM   #18
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_battery
please dont call me a spiritualist

spiritual nihilist would be the opposite of a spiritualist wouldn't it?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2014, 10:29 AM   #19
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
spiritual nihilist would be the opposite of a spiritualist wouldn't it?

you're right.

i just have a bad reaction to the "s" word, its a reflex.
Old 04.03.2014, 11:08 AM   #20
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

we're gonna fucks you ups Lebowski

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth