Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café II
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.06.2013, 06:56 PM   #61
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
well, except for the classical music attempts. haha.

lulz. Was pretty bad. Would've been better had he called it "new age" instead of "classical."
Old 02.07.2013, 09:10 AM   #62
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, it's just shitty keyboard ambient that he already did on 'Rain in England'.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.11.2013, 02:29 PM   #63
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
new James Blake single is so good.

also, i just found that Justin Timberlake dropped a new, 8-min single. woah.

still need to hear it.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.12.2013, 02:04 AM   #64
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
so i finally checked it out. shyt's much better than Suit & Tie. wow. on repeat atm.
Old 02.15.2013, 06:53 PM   #65
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
new Tyler single is dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4OD3IHs5jU&list=UUvvMe-A4FbvtMk-V_vE9PpQ&index=1
Old 02.15.2013, 06:57 PM   #66
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I was listening to Makaveli The Seven Day Theory and comparing it Jesus Piece and realized Game made an EPIC failure. Tupac eloquently and intelligently yet sincerely street blends faith, religion, and thug life like David in the Psalter. He is not ever misogynistic or sacrilegious, just honest about his doubts and fears which we all share together. Jesus Piece was a cool idea for a concept, but in all actuality failed miserably. I respect Game for trying to put his faith into his music, but I was more successful on tracks like Let Us Live, Letter to the King, and Why You Hate the Game...

I actually found Jesus Piece to be a bit more insulting after digesting a few times, a significant let down compared to tracks like the above three I mentioned..

Props to Tupac, nobody will every bridge the gap between street and faith without coming across as blasphemous or pretentious..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2013, 07:14 PM   #67
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I agree it was a failure for what he intended, but I really enjoyed the album nonetheless. I find The Game fascinating no matter what the results.
Old 02.15.2013, 07:21 PM   #68
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I agree it was a failure for what he intended, but I really enjoyed the album nonetheless. I find The Game fascinating no matter what the results.

True dat. Just listening to that Seven Day Theory is what reminded me of just how much a gem Tupac really was to ALL music, not just rap. Very few artists can navigate a life of sin with a life of faith, and yet that is exactly what REAL life is about isn't it? Not glorifying violence or crass materialism, but reflecting your daily realities gritty, boring, or all in between. Tupac simply spoke the real. The Seven Day Theory is such an epic album for that. It is political, it is spiritual, it is an activist album, it promotes family, women, it asks for forgiveness offering an apology without a cop-out explanation. Simply put, it was Tupac expressing himself, and many of us relate to his experiences. Like King David in the Psalms, its not always a PG movie, and even religious people are seldom if ever near perfect, generally quite the opposite, but the dignity of being a human being is having the ability to carry on forward, and grow, mature, and evolve. In that sense, Seven Day Theory is an evolution, where as compared to Let Us Live or Why You Hate The Game, Jesus Piece is a few steps backwards, though I must admit, equally honest. I think where Game fucked up is trying to consciously make this a concept album, rather than just speaking his heart as in previous albums. Seven Day Theory is NOT a concept album, it is just the natural progression of where Tupac and the Outlawz were going after the All Eyez On Me studio sessions which gave birth to the legendary Makaveli Bootlegs.

Old 02.15.2013, 08:47 PM   #69
noisereductions
invito al cielo

yup. Agree w/ every word you said. Yes.
Old 02.15.2013, 08:49 PM   #70
noisereductions
invito al cielo

btw, my fav Pac album is still Me Against The World though. I think the most devastatingly real and sad line he ever wrote was:

"I've been really wanting babies / so I can see a part of me that wasn't always shady"

...that always kills me.

Remember how young he was writing that line, man. Tragic.

and earlier in that track: "my every move is a calculated step / to bring me closer to embracing an early death."

Old 02.16.2013, 01:41 AM   #71
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
the single was alright. but that transition to that Bimmer song at the end amazed me. beautiful (even though it's nothing he hasn't done before). i'm excited for Wolf.
Old 02.16.2013, 02:24 AM   #72
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

I really just bump the Makaveli era more than anything. It seems like we only got glimpses of Pac on his Tupac shit, but when he went full out I think the real Tupac, heart and soul, came out in the person of Makaveli. Then again, 18 or 19 albums worth of raps mostly recorded in less than a year's time might have that effect

Old 02.16.2013, 09:11 AM   #73
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
the single was alright. but that transition to that Bimmer song at the end amazed me. beautiful (even though it's nothing he hasn't done before). i'm excited for Wolf.

yeah that's easily the best part of the song. Like I was all "oh good song," and then that transition happened and I was like "ok, awesome song and now I want the album."
Old 02.16.2013, 09:12 AM   #74
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I really just bump the Makaveli era more than anything. It seems like we only got glimpses of Pac on his Tupac shit, but when he went full out I think the real Tupac, heart and soul, came out in the person of Makaveli. Then again, 18 or 19 albums worth of raps mostly recorded in less than a year's time might have that effect

you're far more familiar with the Mak boots than I am... how much of that material was released (Better Dayz, Until The End Of Time, etc) in some form?
Old 02.16.2013, 11:53 AM   #75
louder
invito al cielo

Indigoism rules my world atm.

Old 02.16.2013, 01:15 PM   #76
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
you're far more familiar with the Mak boots than I am... how much of that material was released (Better Dayz, Until The End Of Time, etc) in some form?

Here is the list
Almost half of it has been released in all the post-humous Makaveli and Tupac "legit" albums but they are all remixes. The "bootlegs" were initially an LA only thing, you grabbed em at the Compton Swapmeet which is in the MOB neighborhood. These were all made by the Outlawz from 48 hours of tape that Tupac had been rapping on. A lot of those tapes were acapella free-styles, raps, and notes that Pac had put on tape and the Outlawz later had produced and they rapped on it. Others are "out-takes" from earlier studio sessions. However, the Outlawz mixes from the bootlegs better reflect the sound and vibe that Tupac would have wanted, they sound like Tupac albums. A lot of the later reissues have also been remixed to avoid legal battles with the other artists who worked on the bootleg versions, and so they don't necessarily sound like Pac. So I stick with the boots which are not readily available in the internet age. In 1999, they were like solid gold.

Old 02.16.2013, 02:33 PM   #77
louder
invito al cielo

i'm listening to that Hodgy EP from last year. i'm high and it's great.
Old 02.16.2013, 08:38 PM   #78
noisereductions
invito al cielo

my wife said "64" by MellowHype makes her angry.
Old 02.16.2013, 08:39 PM   #79
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Here is the list
Almost half of it has been released in all the post-humous Makaveli and Tupac "legit" albums but they are all remixes. The "bootlegs" were initially an LA only thing, you grabbed em at the Compton Swapmeet which is in the MOB neighborhood. These were all made by the Outlawz from 48 hours of tape that Tupac had been rapping on. A lot of those tapes were acapella free-styles, raps, and notes that Pac had put on tape and the Outlawz later had produced and they rapped on it. Others are "out-takes" from earlier studio sessions. However, the Outlawz mixes from the bootlegs better reflect the sound and vibe that Tupac would have wanted, they sound like Tupac albums. A lot of the later reissues have also been remixed to avoid legal battles with the other artists who worked on the bootleg versions, and so they don't necessarily sound like Pac. So I stick with the boots which are not readily available in the internet age. In 1999, they were like solid gold.

thx dude. Was curious. I've listened to all teh bootlegs, but last time was probalby like 2008. I stick to legit albums far more. So was just curious how it played out.
Old 02.16.2013, 09:09 PM   #80
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
thx dude. Was curious. I've listened to all teh bootlegs, but last time was probalby like 2008. I stick to legit albums far more. So was just curious how it played out.

Afeni Shakur didn't like the bootlegs, but that is probably because quite literally they came out under shady circumstances. DeathRow was initially started as a money laundering scheme which never intended to be so commercially successful. All the folks who worked there were gang affiliated, mostly drug dealers with some crooked cops too. After Tupac's death, in between pending lawsuits over his archives and back catelouge, all the bootlegs showed up all over LA. Again, initially in MOB Pirus (the set Suge and most of DeathRow were part of) neighborhoods. Many folks believed there was a direct connection between these leaked albums and DeathRow. Afeni herself sued them many times claiming that DeathRow was releasing the bootlegs on the side to make cash off the books and steal Tupac's archive materials. She did inevitably win many of those suits which is where all the "legit" post-houmous albums came out. However, to deal with copyright issues and because of her own matters of taste, she had most if not ALL the archive material remixed in the studio. While Afeni doesn't want to admit it, those remixes reflect HER interpretation of Tupac, and not necessarily Tupac's interpretation. True, about 50% of the Makaveli bootleg material is garbage mixed, and about 25% probably was just acapella tapes which were quickly remixed over some beats that Pac had never heard or had anything to do with. However, for a solid 50% of those bootlegs are outtakes and unreleased rough mixes, especially those with the Outlawz rapping, that most definitely reflect Tupac's style from 1994-1996 WAAAAAAY more than the legit reissued versions which came out later.

So while I totally support Afeni Shakur, in all actuality it seems to me she let her ego get in the way and those remixes do NOT sound like how Tupac would have wanted them as Makaveli. The good stuff on the bootlegs I feel better sounds like how it is obvious that Makaveli would have wanted them. The bootleg material all sounds like a continuation of All Eyes on Me and the Seven Day Theory, the later remixed reissues really don't have any kind of sound at all, they are all just loosely put together as an anthology of sorts. That is why I bump the bootlegs, I like them better, they just feel more Tupac than the legit reissues..

54 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth