Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Mighty Football Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.16.2014, 05:02 PM   #4501
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
BAM, bitches!!!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2014, 05:04 PM   #4502
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Dempsey opens up the USMNT World Cup run with an exclamation point goal and with the Portugal failure (even before their injuries) suddenly the group of Death looks a lot less deadly..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2014, 05:52 PM   #4503
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Dempsey opens up the USMNT World Cup run with an exclamation point goal and with the Portugal failure (even before their injuries) suddenly the group of Death looks a lot less deadly..

shut up you fucking jinx

jozy's leg + clint's nose = YOUR OWN PERSONAL FAULT
Old 06.16.2014, 05:55 PM   #4504
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
USA look great. Dempsey's first touch for the goal was beautiful. Ghana's only real threat is Atsu.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2014, 06:07 PM   #4505
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
shut up you fucking jinx

and now besler

fucking jinx!!!
Old 06.16.2014, 06:39 PM   #4506
pony
the end of the ugly

pony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's asses
Today was a horror day in my neighborhood. The whole area basically got turned into a big public viewing event and there were are crazy amount of people EVERYWHERE and it was really hard to get anywhere. I was advised not to take the train home from class cause security people apparently wouldn't let people get in or out of the train around my neighborhood in order to not let the area get too crowded.
GOD, I hate the world cup.
but then again, the supermarket was empty <3

(Thinking about showing the Honduras game at work. But only that. I will even make a big Honduras banner. Not interested in the whole thing but I want people to start silly fights with me about how I should be wanting Germany to win and not any other country)
pony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2014, 06:59 PM   #4507
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

HOLY FUCK THAT WAS TORMENT!!!!

and incredible incredible relief.
Old 06.16.2014, 07:07 PM   #4508
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Fantastic game. Ghana really picked up in the second half and seemed the more likely to get a winner but hats off to the USA. Their game against Portugal will be epic.
Old 06.16.2014, 07:43 PM   #4509
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Fantastic game. Ghana really picked up in the second half and seemed the more likely to get a winner but hats off to the USA. Their game against Portugal will be epic.

we hope!

ghana really dominated the whole game really, and one for one had the better players (essien, boateng, etc, buncha names i can't remember), but USA had a better tactical armature--- klinsi has disciplined them well and they did their jobs. i applaud him 10,000,000 times. he's not exactly a football messiah, but it's great to see the mentality that he brings to the team-- and good tactics.

still, i think USA had a lot of flaws-- couldn't keep possession and cool the game after that first goal-- as a result there was a lot of pressure, running, etc-- as a result also probably some of the injuries. a lot of bad passes up front, not just late when they were tired but throughout. probably nerves.

i hope jozy's injury is not too terrible. though those hamstring pulls are a fucking horror. not sure johansson is up to doing 10% of what jozy does, certainly didn't show today. again probably nerves.

ref was i think too lenient, which favored ghana's machete-style marking. that boot to clint's face was really reprehensible. it was fucking tae kwon do on an aerial contest.

bedoya had a great game by the way, and he was a starter as i had expected. he carried a lot of the game. fabian johnson came through near the end. clint wasn't the same after the busted nose-- fuckers! and when brooks scored i asked "who the fuck is brooks?". bradley was terrible today. nerves again?

jermaine johns i think had a notable game. not that he was particularly brilliant but he kept grinding it out & getting kicked & getting up & grinding it out. beckermann too though he wasn't so punished. fucking shit, they were all heroic, because in terms of individual talent they are no great stars but they gave everything they had. that was amazing.

the ghanian witchman was fucking creepy btw, if you saw him.

okay. rant over. need beers now.
Old 06.16.2014, 07:55 PM   #4510
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
ghanian witchman? you mmean the guy who slapped himself in the face with baby powder? lol that was funny....

I couldn't stay awake for the 2nd half.but man that kick to the face was fucked up....you can't really expect him to be the same since he was probably restricted to one nostril.

but real talk....I dig Ghana's uniforms.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2014, 08:07 PM   #4511
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
we hope!

ghana really dominated the whole game really, and one for one had the better players (essien, boateng, etc, buncha names i can't remember), but USA had a better tactical armature---

Tactically I agree but some of those names, like Essien, were well past their prime. Ghana may have just edged it on individual quality but only just. Dempsey was a rock.

Quote:
still, i think USA had a lot of flaws-- couldn't keep possession and cool the game after that first goal-- as a result there was a lot of pressure, running, etc-- as a result also probably some of the injuries. a lot of bad passes up front, not just late when they were tired but throughout. probably nerves.

I never noticed them losing possession too much but I may not have noticed. Your main strength was discipline and Dempsey's flair. Ghana were very strong in midfield and really dominated you there but lacked a clinical finisher. The commentators here were going mad at Atsu for being so wasteful in good positions.

Quote:
i hope jozy's injury is not too terrible. though those hamstring pulls are a fucking horror.

Be surprised if his WC isn't over.

Quote:
ref was i think too lenient, which favored ghana's machete-style marking. that boot to clint's face was really reprehensible. it was fucking tae kwon do on an aerial contest.

Both teams were going at it very hard but neither of them seemed to cross any moral line. Nothing like we'd seen from Uruguay or (shudders) Honduras.
Old 06.16.2014, 08:38 PM   #4512
pad_023
the destroyed room

pad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's asses
I thought that was a very good team performance by the US. They looked very well organised and solid at the back. Despite having a majority of the ball Ghana didn't really create much, which is a testament to Klinsmann's tactics.

It's been a great tournament so far no dull games bar the snoozefest which was Iran vs Nigeria. A Massive improvement the tournament in South Africa.

Looking forward to seeing Belgium in action tomorrow. Haven't actually missed a match so far.
pad_023 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2014, 08:41 PM   #4513
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Old 06.16.2014, 08:47 PM   #4514
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Painful but still no more than a yellow for me.
Old 06.16.2014, 08:52 PM   #4515
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:

right, but there was no yellow, was it? not even a fucking caution, nothing.

on another incident, some ghanian sweeps jermaine jones from behind, complete… i don't know how to translate "carretilla" ("wheelbarrow"). jones, pissed, sort of rubs his cleats on the skull of the ghanian as they roll on the floor. the ghanian, sore, gets pissed and gets on top of jones and starts either punching or stabbing him on the stomach with the fingers.

what does the ref do?

a) makes them shake hands

b) gives the free kick to ghana

WTF???
Old 06.16.2014, 08:58 PM   #4516
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Tactically I agree but some of those names, like Essien, were well past their prime. Ghana may have just edged it on individual quality but only just. Dempsey was a rock.

without jozy and with a busted-nose clint, the us attack was poor. johansson was a zero. thank fuck for corner kicks.

Quote:
I never noticed them losing possession too much but I may not have noticed. Your main strength was discipline and Dempsey's flair. Ghana were very strong in midfield and really dominated you there but lacked a clinical finisher. The commentators here were going mad at Atsu for being so wasteful in good positions.

precisely, USA never even had any possession to lose. which made ghana's pressure relentless. too risky! they couldn't slow them down. that's just fucked. howard, we've forgotten to mention, was the best US player.

Quote:
Be surprised if his WC isn't over.

i know. wishful thinking.
Old 06.16.2014, 09:15 PM   #4517
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
T

Both teams were going at it very hard but neither of them seemed to cross any moral line. Nothing like we'd seen from Uruguay or (shudders) Honduras.

Amen.. Those dirty fucking bastards.. In US we know those Hondurans too damned well.

Quote:

Yellow is ALL that I wanted. That was a dirty fucking play, he knew damned well that his foot was never going to touch that ball.. But Clint is a big boy, he can handle himself. I'm much more worried about Altidore, and this is when the Landon thing comes to bite a little harder in the ass.

Quote:
without jozy and with a busted-nose clint, the us attack was poor. johansson was a zero. thank fuck for corner kicks.

Weren't you watching any of the past few years, corner kicks are USMNT bread and butter, its really an essential part of our game

Quote:
precisely, USA never even had any possession to lose. which made ghana's pressure relentless. too risky! they couldn't slow them down. that's just fucked. howard, we've forgotten to mention, was the best US player.

I agree with this. Some people are saying Ghana was the better team because they had more shots and more possession time, but in this instance they were playing from behind.

As to not slowing them down, I agree and disagree, they may have had the ball, bu they didn't score for 82 minutes. That says something. Our defense isn't always predicated on controlling the ball so much as not letting them score, and we did a lot of typical US last minute saves by players NOT named Howard near the goal.. Its our last ditch effort, but its also part of our CONCACAF style, a lot of CONCACAF teams play this kind of risky defense. Its not just what has always hurt USMNT internationally, but CONCACAF teams in general which is why our league has a somewhat unwarranted bad reputation. What I have been hoping about Klinsmann is that he can help shake up our team to play a more Euro style BUT the downside is we still play in our league most of the time and I watched Jurgen struggle the first two years trying to readjust his own game plans to a different futbol reality. Jurgen tried to do some Euro things in the first year and got embarrassed by CONCACAF rivals who stuck to their original game plan and made us pay. The Gold Cup was a great example of US hybrid style potential, to blend a more Euro style approach to offense while still playing more traditional (for USMNT that is) defense. It worked..

So what we should expect from this world cup is a bit more of this game, and while it is risky I think it can work. After all, winning possession isn't winning the game, scoring the most goals and not letting the other team score is how you do that.

I loved this game, in many ways we came and punched Ghana in the mouth, and they played pretty hard by the way, a lot of dirty plays that I won't hold against them, we're tough enough to handle it, but it showed that they were under more pressure than they were not.

Old 06.16.2014, 09:19 PM   #4518
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
shut up you fucking jinx

Honestly, I did feel a bit responsible

Quote:
right, but there was no yellow, was it? not even a fucking caution, nothing.

on another incident, some ghanian sweeps jermaine jones from behind, complete… i don't know how to translate "carretilla" ("wheelbarrow"). jones, pissed, sort of rubs his cleats on the skull of the ghanian as they roll on the floor. the ghanian, sore, gets pissed and gets on top of jones and starts either punching or stabbing him on the stomach with the fingers.

what does the ref do?

a) makes them shake hands

b) gives the free kick to ghana

WTF???

I don't think that Jones was rubbing the cleats on purpose, it was part of the momentum and that Ghanian dude diving forward. In a word, he ran into it. What was dirty was how the Ghanian dude pounced on Jones on the ground and literally tried to choke him out!

Come on. That is a red card, not for the play itself, but literally going for the jugular after the play was clearly done.. I dare say US got into Ghana's head in this one..

Old 06.16.2014, 09:34 PM   #4519
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
they couldn't slow them down. that's just fucked. howard, we've forgotten to mention, was the best US player.

You have to assume you won't get anything against Germany but a draw against Portugal would probably be enough to go through. Given what you say there, that puts you in a nice but tactically quite tricky spot: do you play for a draw, pack up the defence and inevitably invite a barrage from Ronaldo? Portugal, as bad as they looked against Germany, will be going all out from the 1st minute and their attacking threat is obviously far greater than Ghana's. Your weakest area is on the right side and I wouldn't be surprised if that's where they stick Ronaldo. I do think you can beat them but a lot will depend on how Klinsmann decides to play it, and which Portugal shows up.
Old 06.16.2014, 09:41 PM   #4520
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Packing the defense is what we do, I say go with it. I don't think USMNT is good enough defensively to "slow" anyone down, but what we do (and do it well) is stop goals one way or another. I actually like what Klinsmann has done discipline wise, he blended things the USMNT used to do before he got there defensively with things he wants them do to new on offense and its been working the past year (more or less). If the USMNT injuries aren't significant we can do this, but not against Germany unless they have a really, really bad game. Portugal, I wasn't as scared of them when they were healthy as I probably should have been, so now I'm almost naively confident.

176216223224225 226 227228229236276326 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth