Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.30.2013, 09:39 PM   #17441
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i can't see the image again, so i don't know what your mental laziness is attempting to signify, but you're wrong regardless.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2013, 06:59 AM   #17442
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Dude you must be choking on nostalgia, have you re-watched an actual Bronson movie since like 25 years ago, because you may unfortunately discover that they suck.

Well I watched him a few weeks ago in Once Upon a Time in the West and thought he was great.

Quote:
If anything, the ending was the only redeeming part, as with most John Carpenter movies, the ending is really the only point. And as with Big Trouble in Little China, The Fog was really pointless up until that point, but unlike as with Big Trouble, the Fog was no where near as entertaining or go for broke campy (e.g. in the Evil Dead/Army of Darkness form).

Something I actually like about The Fog (and Carpenter generally) is that it serves it to you straight, with little regard for the kind of campiness that's done so much to ruin the genre in recent years (IMO).

Quote:
Carpenter makes The Fog into a morality play on hypocrisy within Christianity, particularly the Catholic Church, as he has in several of his movies, but in this instance, it seems like NONE of the plot developed or enhanced or even built up to this. It was like some kind of "surprise" ending, but the movie itself was not credible enough to sustain it. If you just saw the final 30 minutes, it'd be a better movie in my opinion.

Halloween, The Thing, Escape From New York, Prince of Darkness, In the Mouth of Madness, these are great fucking movies, but The Fog I think is a miss. Just meandered too much..

I've never read that much into Carpenter's plots. I always took the Fog as using the kind of 'town with a secret' idea that gets used in plenty of horror films. He's a stylist first and foremost and while I agree the film does meander a bit it still has some of my very favourite Carpenter scenes in it, as well as one of his best soundtracks.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2013, 08:42 PM   #17443
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I may have been too harsh on The Fog because its low points don't compare with the usual John Carpenter standards. However, its few highs aren't too bad, so I'd say about 40% of the movie is good spliced in between 60% of otherwise unwatchable movie. Those 40% are indeed solid Carpenter.

Old 11.01.2013, 03:07 PM   #17444
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2013, 03:41 PM   #17445
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I may have been too harsh on The Fog

To be fair you're not on your own. I know a few big Carpenter fans who aren't that into it. I remember reading that Carpenter himself didn't like the way it turned out, so you're in decent company.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2013, 04:58 PM   #17446
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairba...hmore.php#more Doug's Barbershop in the Heights area of Houston TX, featured in Rushmore, to close soon.
Old 11.01.2013, 06:07 PM   #17447
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses

8/10
Old 11.02.2013, 01:58 AM   #17448
Dr Chocolate
children of satan

Dr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's asses
sometimes you just gotta watch something a bit harder then normal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkopahcU3sQ

so, not safe for work
but it's kinda funny to just listen to when not watching the video
especially when you've seen it somewhere around 100 times or more?
Old 11.03.2013, 08:54 AM   #17449
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses

4.5/10

The plot is terribly soppy.
Old 11.04.2013, 07:11 AM   #17450
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
Old 11.04.2013, 12:00 PM   #17451
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i finally watched glengarry glenross. after having seen that speech on youtube a lot lately.

i didn't know it was originally a david mamet play-- but that shows through in the rest of the movie. of course! good shit. pretty great script actually, and good acting. the production itself looks a bit claustrophobic, but hey, it's a filmed play. excellent performances by all!

to judge it just by the alec baldwin speech is a huge misunderstanding. check out the whole of it.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.04.2013, 06:33 PM   #17452
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses

Kathy Acker and Alan Sondheim’s Blue Tape (1974)
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2013, 08:46 AM   #17453
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
GlennGary Glenn Ross is a great piece of male despair.

My wife hated it because it hurts her to see old men broken down.
Old 11.06.2013, 07:06 AM   #17454
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
GlennGary Glenn Ross is a great piece of male despair.

yes. great way to put it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
My wife hated it because it hurts her to see old men broken down.

damn. she is nice.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2013, 08:59 AM   #17455
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
Old 11.11.2013, 09:10 AM   #17456
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses

finally watching these.....pretty much thte same as the manga(and '97? anime)But the 3rd movie goes beyond the anime and they've done a pretty awesome job sticking to the manga. ANYWAYS...I HOPE THEY AT LEAST FINISH THE FUCKING MANGA SOMETIME SOON OR ELSE IT'LL TAKE 15 YEARS TO MAKE ALL OF IT INTO FUCKING MOVIES.

also....3D and 2D animation mixed is shit.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2013, 12:06 PM   #17457
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
pt3

EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2013, 02:54 PM   #17458
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Was actually pretty good, surprisingly. Could have been
better, but of all Sam Jackson's bad-to-sort-of-ok movies
this was definitely the better. I'm starting to realize that
Sam Jackson is like Chris Walken, he makes all is movies better,
even those that aren't particularly good.

What is wild about this movie, is Bruce Willis has played
"softer" roles and yet, in this one, they didn't tone
down the "action" Bruce Willis one bit, instead, they
emphasized it. So we have this juxtaposition between
the somber, quiet life of an autistic boy and the literally
exploding in peoples' faces intensity that is Bruce Willis.
Another surprisingly good bad movie.

Old 11.11.2013, 03:40 PM   #17459
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Had to take a look at Sam Jackson's IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000168/

153 total acting credits?
Filming FOUR movies currently?

Even if IMDB is way off, Sam's still the hardest working man in Hollywood.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2013, 03:51 PM   #17460
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Sam Jack likes money, and he is old enough to know you work while you can, until no one wants you any more.

Danny Trejo has 260 acting credits in IMDB. He says if you got $25,000 a day to pay him, he will be in your movie.

Sounds like a smart smart man.
773823863870871872 873 874875876883923973 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth