Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page bands you've seen this year
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.08.2008, 09:20 AM   #21
The Lung
stalker

The Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's asses
Butthole Surfers
Mudhoney
MBV x2
Breeders
Ashtray Navigation's a handful of times
Sunburned Hand of the Man
Mike Flower
Dead Meadow
Melvins
Sebadoh Bubble & Scrape

Acid Mothers Temple (tomorrow)
The Lung is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.08.2008, 09:24 AM   #22
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses
acid mothers temple & the cosmic inferno
dead meadow
the brian jonestown massacre
sarabeth tucek

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.08.2008, 09:27 AM   #23
al shabbray

fuck.
this year sucked...
Ive only seen coco rosie, who were great, but its just one damn gig...
thaks for reminding that 2008 was a bitch
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.08.2008, 11:59 AM   #24
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
I've seen a bunch of bands the past year but I haven't listed them and my memory fails me, but the most notable to you are Boris and Dälek.
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.08.2008, 12:41 PM   #25
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Seriously though, what do you have against paragraphs? Aren't you studying to be a journalist? Don't hacks have more paragraphs than normal people? Is it an art statement?

I've seen lots of things this year. I'll wait until the 'gigs of the year' thread though, there's still the best part of 2 months left.

I understand you guys don't like the way I write on here, but I could give a fuck. It's a message board where I can talk about music, when I have multiple assignments due every week when I have to adhere to every silly fucking AP-style guideline do you really think I want to come on here and worry about paragraph breaks, punctuations, grammar, spelling, etc...? The way I talk on here is similar to how I would talk in a normal conversation, I just type as I think.
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.08.2008, 12:43 PM   #26
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lung
Butthole Surfers
Mudhoney
MBV x2
Breeders
Ashtray Navigation's a handful of times
Sunburned Hand of the Man
Mike Flower
Dead Meadow
Melvins
Sebadoh Bubble & Scrape

Acid Mothers Temple (tomorrow)

I've always wondered how AshNav are live. I bet they are fantastic, correct?

Have fun at the AMT show, their last record was damn heavy and they are always better when they play heavy, I suggest you at the very least get stoned out of your gourd and it might even be more preferable to take half a a blotter or maybe a gram of shrooms, something to get your mind flowing. But don't do too much, the volume, heat, etc.. Club shows are very poor environments for psychedelic experimentation no matter what band is playing.
Old 11.08.2008, 01:06 PM   #27
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
this year it has been a good year:

Sister Nancy
Ras Michael and the Sons of Negus
Pato Banton
Eek a Mouse
the Wailing Souls
Anthony B
Sly and Robbie
Gregory Isaacs
Bob Weir and Rat Dog
Don Carlos
Kiddus I and China Smith
Radiohead
Groundation
Deftones
Itals
Steel Pulse
Israel Vibrations

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.08.2008, 01:19 PM   #28
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
I understand you guys don't like the way I write on here, but I could give a fuck. It's a message board where I can talk about music, when I have multiple assignments due every week when I have to adhere to every silly fucking AP-style guideline do you really think I want to come on here and worry about paragraph breaks, punctuations, grammar, spelling, etc...? The way I talk on here is similar to how I would talk in a normal conversation, I just type as I think.
well I have no problem with the way you write, but in that particular message, linebreaks would have been appreciated, cause it's just too long, I couldn't read it. otherwise i never have problems reading your posts
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.08.2008, 01:32 PM   #29
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Yeah, ultimately, it's a big 'whatever' in both directions - but when you talk you pause for breath (I hope). Paragraphs are nice little pauses that aid comprehension. I'm not saying you shouldn't write things, or you shouldn't splurt your mind out, or you must obey the God-given laws of grammar or anything like that. It's just impossible to read any content you might have if your paragraph has four million clauses and the syntax is iffy (syntax is a lost cause on the internet, I know).

Besides which, taking a fraction of a second to hit 'enter' is a nice way to break up the evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.08.2008, 02:43 PM   #30
Bollocks_to_Pop
children of satan

Bollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's asses
No Age, Mika Miko, Radiohead, Beck, Liars, M. Ward, Wilco (2), Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, Six Organs of Admittance, Dead C, and Neil Young.
Bollocks_to_Pop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.08.2008, 05:07 PM   #31
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I saw Melt-Banana, My Bloody Valentine and Shellac.

Slow year for gigs.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.08.2008, 07:29 PM   #32
The Lung
stalker

The Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I've always wondered how AshNav are live. I bet they are fantastic, correct?

Have fun at the AMT show, their last record was damn heavy and they are always better when they play heavy, I suggest you at the very least get stoned out of your gourd and it might even be more preferable to take half a a blotter or maybe a gram of shrooms, something to get your mind flowing. But don't do too much, the volume, heat, etc.. Club shows are very poor environments for psychedelic experimentation no matter what band is playing.

Yeh I always enjoy seeing ashnav, they usually play for about 20 mins but it's usually something completely different everytime.

I am looking forward to AMT. I'm kind of on a little drugs binge this weekend already. I took cough syrup yesterday which went completely insane and then took half a tab of acid today. There is a possibility of getting some mescaline tomorrow but I think it will be too much for the show. I'll probably just get baked like you suggested.
The Lung is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.08.2008, 08:22 PM   #33
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Youth (july 4th show... Feelies too, but didn't care for them)

Drive-by Truckers (last week)

I can't say which show was better. I may have enjoyed Truckers more just cause I was closer to the stage and Patterson Hood (guitarist) and Shonna Tucker (bassist) are so pleasant and funny.
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.08.2008, 08:33 PM   #34
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
i've seen a ton of bands...at least 165 so far...most of them can be seen via this link:

http://narlus.zenfolio.com/f413372462

i didn't get photo passes for John Zorn, Paul Weller, and Sam Rivers. pretty much everything else i saw i did also get to shoot.

top shows, in no order

brothers unconnected
mogwai
melvins
urge overkill
loren connors
boredoms
har mar superstar
big dipper
mudhoney
devo
zaika
tortoise
radiohead
shellac
mercury rev
spectrum
brian jonestown massacre
my bloody valentine
helios creed
wire
lau nau
les savy fav
the cure

yeah, it's been a good year. still some great shows left on the calendar, too.
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.08.2008, 08:43 PM   #35
batreleaser
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Yeah, ultimately, it's a big 'whatever' in both directions - but when you talk you pause for breath (I hope). Paragraphs are nice little pauses that aid comprehension. I'm not saying you shouldn't write things, or you shouldn't splurt your mind out, or you must obey the God-given laws of grammar or anything like that. It's just impossible to read any content you might have if your paragraph has four million clauses and the syntax is iffy (syntax is a lost cause on the internet, I know).

Besides which, taking a fraction of a second to hit 'enter' is a nice way to break up the evening.

haha, point taken.
Old 11.09.2008, 06:10 AM   #36
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
-Monotonix (insane)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazifan
even though im not their biggestfan it is always amazing to see a band from the local scene that has had the amount of "success" that monotonix have had. and yeah their shows are great.

This year's been the one of Israel. What's going on there?
Last year I saw Izabo and liked them, this year it's been TV Buddhas and their impact was strong, they are great great great.
They've toured with Monotonix. Haven't seen these yet; only watched the pictures taken from their shows.
Musically, from the excerpts on their Myspace, I'd like them less than TVB, but I'd definitely go see them on a good day (good for me).

I saw the Gore Gore Girls and liked them.
I saw the BellRays' new line up, which is groovier than when Tony Fate was on guitar.
Other bands, mostly French.
And Power Solo (good ones).
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.09.2008, 03:54 PM   #37
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Schandmaul
32Crash

And I have yet to see Lydia Lunch on November 29
Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth