Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Radiohead, A Moon Shaped Pool: new album, out now
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.20.2016, 10:03 AM   #201
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Haha but we're all dad aged now so its apt

I don't know... I mean, yes, we're dad aged. Easy. I'm several years older than my parents were when they had me. But I still think of Springsteen and The Eagles when I think of dad rock.

Radiohead just doesn't sound like the dreaded "DR" to me. Few of the bands from my formative years feel like they could hold that title. Pearl Jam is one major, major exception. Everything about them screams dad rock and has since about 1996.

My own father barely considers Radiohead music. Which is kind of weird because he's a Beatles guy, and if "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite" is music, surely just about anything is. I love that song, but it's just so weird, even compared to today's most experimental pop.

Coldplay is definitely dad rock. I don't think there's a "kid" on the planet who really loves that band.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2016, 10:35 AM   #202
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I don't know... I mean, yes, we're dad aged. Easy. I'm several years older than my parents were when they had me. But I still think of Springsteen and The Eagles when I think of dad rock.

Radiohead just doesn't sound like the dreaded "DR" to me. Few of the bands from my formative years feel like they could hold that title. Pearl Jam is one major, major exception. Everything about them screams dad rock and has since about 1996.

My own father barely considers Radiohead music. Which is kind of weird because he's a Beatles guy, and if "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite" is music, surely just about anything is. I love that song, but it's just so weird, even compared to today's most experimental pop.

Coldplay is definitely dad rock. I don't think there's a "kid" on the planet who really loves that band.

That is because you are thinking of YOUR dad but haven't processed that we are not merely as old as our parents were when we were born, but many of us are as old as our parents were when we were in HIGH SCHOOL!!

Radiohead first album came out over 20 years ago..

Dad Rock is apt.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2016, 04:06 PM   #203
selkcip
bad moon rising

selkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I think I've identified my problem with the new version (I will not call it the "final" or "official" version) of "True Love Waits." It's the fact that the vocals are so completely front and center. I'd enjoy this interpretation of the song more if the vocal track took on the kaleidoscopic, ocean of sound feel of the background instrumentation. The vox should be turned down at the very least. Ideally, they'd be tweaked in some way to match the canvas.

Something about the lyrics, sung with such clarity and dominance in such a lazy way, makes me want to hear something else. The song would benefit from a "kid a" style vocal scramble of some kind. Done right, that might even put the thing over the edge for me.

it works pretty well as is. the song provides a feeling of relief, breathing easy. a sigh of relief. any additional activity would only clutter it up and disrupt the feeling of ease going on there. diff'rent strokes...
selkcip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2016, 06:00 PM   #204
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XithTcxKqBE

Not horrid recording of the Amsterdam show. Only a few songs in though. Burn the Witch gets going decently enough, but holy crap did it start off pretty horrid.

Ful Stop is not in this recording unfortunately. In searching, I found that they actually played it several times during 2012 tour. I had not seen any performances of it yet, and I have to say, I certainly do not like the live versions from 2012. I certainly hope it has matured live for this tour. I am sure we'll see soon enough.
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2016, 08:04 PM   #205
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by selkcip
it works pretty well as is. the song provides a feeling of relief, breathing easy. a sigh of relief. any additional activity would only clutter it up and disrupt the feeling of ease going on there. diff'rent strokes...

My sentiments exactly. As much as its clear Severian likes this record I'm not as sure that he "gets it" yet

Old 05.20.2016, 09:36 PM   #206
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
My sentiments exactly. As much as its clear Severian likes this record I'm not as sure that he "gets it" yet

Not sure if I should be offended or not.

But maybe I don't get it. Cause while I like it as a whole, parts of it just sound like bleh to me.
Old 05.20.2016, 10:11 PM   #207
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Not sure if I should be offended or not.
Shouldn't be it was an honest reflection not a diss
My personal interpretation of this record is it is meant to be listened to as a composition and the differences between the songs are intentionally trying to set a mood. It all feels even more calculated than usual even for a radiohead album.

I have listened to it every morning on Metro on way to work since i got it and more and more i am convincedthe songs only work in the context of each other. I personally don't enjoy them half as much at random or even just mixed out of original ttack list
Quote:
But maybe I don't get it. Cause while I like it as a whole, parts of it just sound like bleh to me.

Yes that is precisely my point here

Old 05.21.2016, 12:14 AM   #208
Severian
invito al cielo

This is how I feel about all Radiohead records though. I don't think any of them are perfect, from start to finish. Even Kid A and HTTT, where I genuinely like all the songs, don't feel like perfect albums to me. I'm a chronic Radiohead album skipper-arounder.
Old 05.21.2016, 08:31 AM   #209
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpuff
Street Spirit will probably always be the top of my list for the importance it holds on my getting into Radiohead in the first place

Street Spirit
Paranoid Android
Let Down
Everything In It’s Right Place
The National Anthem
Optimistic
I Might Be Wrong
Where I End and You Begin
House of Cards
Morning Mr. Magpie

My list will also be topped by Street Spirit, for the same reason as with you. I was 15 when I first heard that song - 20 years ago, fuck.

Anyway:

1. Street Spirit
2. Permanent Daylight
3. Maquiladora
4. Lurgee
5. Blow Out
6. Pyramid Song
7. Airbag
8. Everything In It’s Right Place
9. Lozenge of Love
10. How To Disappear Completely

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2016, 11:31 AM   #210
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
That is because you are thinking of YOUR dad but haven't processed that we are not merely as old as our parents were when we were born, but many of us are as old as our parents were when we were in HIGH SCHOOL!!

Radiohead first album came out over 20 years ago..

Dad Rock is apt.

yep! I love dad rock. dad rock is cool but maybe dad rock with existential probs is not. you must learn the art of floating before yr 32. otherwise you'll still be begging people for money on a message board. after you've learnt the art you can clown as much as you can.
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2016, 01:13 AM   #211
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
So, is Sonic Youth Dad Rock?

I don't know why I keep punishing myself by reading this thread.
Old 05.23.2016, 07:44 AM   #212
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj

With how old the kiddies are today if we're talking sonic death era sonic youth we're talking grandpa rock

Old 05.23.2016, 10:20 AM   #213
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

Sonic Youth can never be dad rock. Is the Velvet Uderground "dad rock?" What about Can? No. Nobody who isn't awesome could ever appreciate Sonic Youth.

Dad rock refers to music that's bland and tame and really easy to listen to. Played by white dudes. Coldplay, U2, Pearl Jam... all of these bands are "dad rock" for dads of various ages and levels of lameness.

Do some dads listen to Sonic Youth? Certainly. I'm sure some grandfathers do. But they're badass dads and grandpas. Like the members of SY themselves.

No, Sonic Youth is not dad rock or any other kind of "rock." Age has less to do with it than the music itself. Frank Zappa will never be "dad rock," no matter how many dads listen to it.

The Eagles, on the other hand, were dad rock before they even started. Lame, basic, and to use p-green's word, "vanilla" as all fuck.

Just because we're old doesn't mean we have to be lame asses.
Old 05.23.2016, 10:26 PM   #214
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

In my humble opinion, this thread begs to differ.
Old 05.23.2016, 10:43 PM   #215
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

Ok, what the deal is Skuj? You got a problem with something I've said? Something SFAD's said? Something Louder's said? Or are you just pissed at the framers and creepy gentry?

A thread is only as good as you make it. So let's hear your gripe, then you can contribute a bit for the love of Christ.
Old 05.24.2016, 08:35 AM   #216
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
Wow. Radiohead albums in general normally have one decent song on there but this new one has at least double that.
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2016, 10:59 AM   #217
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Sonic Youth can never be dad rock. Is the Velvet Uderground "dad rock?" What about Can? No. Nobody who isn't awesome could ever appreciate Sonic Youth.

Dad rock refers to music that's bland and tame and really easy to listen to. Played by white dudes. Coldplay, U2, Pearl Jam... all of these bands are "dad rock" for dads of various ages and levels of lameness.

Do some dads listen to Sonic Youth? Certainly. I'm sure some grandfathers do. But they're badass dads and grandpas. Like the members of SY themselves.

No, Sonic Youth is not dad rock or any other kind of "rock." Age has less to do with it than the music itself. Frank Zappa will never be "dad rock," no matter how many dads listen to it.

The Eagles, on the other hand, were dad rock before they even started. Lame, basic, and to use p-green's word, "vanilla" as all fuck.

Real.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2016, 12:08 PM   #218
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:

Old 05.24.2016, 12:09 PM   #219
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:

The very fact that you typed like 500+ words counters your argument. In other words you're in denial

Old 05.24.2016, 12:55 PM   #220
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I dunno...I knew a Dad that listen to Zappa...But dood also listened to Pixies.

Are Pixies Dad rock yet?
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth