Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page We need user mods. This has gone on long enough.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.12.2006, 01:37 PM   #21
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
I don't. I just move on. It's just pissing contest to see who can hold out the longest. I always lose because I've got shit to do during my day. Not just sit around and annoy people across the world.
Old 07.12.2006, 01:40 PM   #22
chabib
Administrator

chabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
Some are pretty childish.

i am too--by default. a lot of people like that about me. some don't. it's who i naturally am, so that's generally my first impression on the people i meet. if i sense that it makes someone uncomfortable, i meet them half-way.

it's basically my hope that this whole thing serves as an invitation for some people to meet everyone else halfway.
chabib is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2006, 01:41 PM   #23
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
I don't. I just move on. It's just pissing contest to see who can hold out the longest. I always lose because I've got shit to do during my day. Not just site around and annoy people across the world.
It's as simple as blanking entire threads.That fucking simple.To start another one complaing about the thread that is irritating you is involuntarily breathing more life into it.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2006, 01:43 PM   #24
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
It's a double-edged sword.

Blank threads: Ignoring them makes them be even more obnoxious just to get rise.

Attack threads: Makes them be more obnoxious to continue to get a rise.
Old 07.12.2006, 01:44 PM   #25
Daddylikes
the end of the ugly

Daddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's asses
I agree 110 percent. I can't believe people that aren't involved keep talking about it (the same people never post in the actual thread where the "offensive" behavior takes place, ironically enough). If people truly want their board to be a more exciting, on topic and insightful community, they'd admonish outrageous behavior, post exciting, on topic and insightful commentary, while at the same time ignoring all threads that they can easily see that they have absolutely no interest in.

The behavior we've seen in the last few days, however, has been for multiple users to come out of the woodwork AFTER Chris Habib/Sonic Youth exacted "punishments" on offensive parties to admonish peoples behavior, complain about the state of the board, try to introduce new measures to control the board (which probably wouldn't be as user friendly or effective as what Chris is doing) and generally being little whiny biatches (which I find is typical of this board). All of you who are complaining now, if you were truly upset with the way the board was going, SHOULD HAVE COMPLAINED A LOT EARLIER.

If people were all pissed off at assblaster, where was my negative rep? When AssBlaster was banned, I was among the highest rep totals on the board. Now that I'm back, my rep is growing daily. Where were the people complaining TO ME in p.m's as opposed to complaining to SY and Chris Habib? NOWHERE TO BE FOUND. THAT'S WHERE.

I'm sorry, but this board is litterally spoiled.

The vBulletin phish board that I belong to is paid for, moderated and run completely by us fans. While there isn't a "membership fee", the board is completely paid for by paypal donations.

This board is completely free, and moderated by a band insider that actually cares about the discussion forum. Not to mention the fact that some of the people you hate (i.e. me) regularly post links to BRAND NEW s.y. live recordings that aren't otherwise shared here. And yet you complain and want me banned.

That's retarded. Everyone here is retarded. Sure I can be offensive and abrasive, but honestly if I'm making fun of you (or harrassing you if you want to call it that), either you make fun of others or you deserve it because I find you to be idiotic.

When I used racial, religious or sexist slurs, it wasn't because I was a racist, sexist, homophobe, religious stereotyper, whatever, it was because you annoyed me in another way...and in my opinion were totally "asking for it" vis a vis-your idiocy.

As far as the Chris Habib prank call is concerned, it was just boredom and retardedness, and truly wasn't meant to be harrassing or an ongoing thing. And has already been dealt with.

People, lighten up, get over it, and keep on fluffing the horrendous sonic youth release "Rather Ripped" (I still think there is only one decent track on the thing).

Thanks.
Daddylikes is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2006, 01:48 PM   #26
Secret Boys
bad moon rising

Secret Boys cold hard suckaSecret Boys cold hard suckaSecret Boys cold hard suckaSecret Boys cold hard suckaSecret Boys cold hard suckaSecret Boys cold hard suckaSecret Boys cold hard suckaSecret Boys cold hard suckaSecret Boys cold hard suckaSecret Boys cold hard suckaSecret Boys cold hard sucka
I nominate vodka golbin right?
Secret Boys is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2006, 01:49 PM   #27
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

It just seems to me to be a bit absurd to share "new and cool SY music" and at the same time try to rip the very board apart. Thats like walking up to someone, giving them 20 bucks and punching them right in the face. It just doesn't make sense.
Old 07.12.2006, 01:51 PM   #28
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabib
moderation has always seemed odd to me. i try my hardest to believe that people in online communities can more or less police themselves and just conversationally suppress or cold-shoulder problems.

for the most part, i think that's true. this board is more or less a pretty successful experiment in that respect. there's far less moderation here than in most forums. people generally take advantage of the simple forum structure to isolate drama. i have a lot of respect for the members of this board.

most sites would immediately re-ban returning banned users. i think that's absurd. if someone wants to come back and they jump thru the hoops of re-registration, it's apparent that they want to be involved in the community to which they're returning. if that's the case... fine. start over with a clean slate.

in the cases of the users whose profiles i've manipulated... how many moderators would go thru the trouble to do that when it's so much easier to just click the ban/delete buttons? even if people have colluded to irritate me in a personal manner, it's better to just let everyone see that for themselves and let both sides of the conflict express themselves than it is to have one person take some rash action and give the other party no means of responding.

people get carried away sometimes. it's easy to do. it doesn't mean they're incapable of toning things down though. believing that people are incapable of realizing they've pushed things too far and then relieving them of any possibility of proving otherwise is senseless.

Daddy... DaaaAAAAddddyyyyy... why don't you love me? I want to be loved DAaaaadddddyyyYYYy.

The forum may or may not be boring. A vocal minority are being shit. A sub-minority (probably larger than any other group) are whinging about how it's shit, and are therefore perpetuating (and multiplying) the shit-ness. A further sub-sect are being aloof pricks. Ultimately, you shouldn't expect too much from a forum. I still stand by my sig. You shouldn't care, it's just the internet. Yes, I realise I'm posting on the internet, that's because I am bored/ boring and have nothing better to do than to brag about my penis to people who really don't care. I maintain a fidelity to a writing, a presentation, which is something that fascinates me, but generally speaking, people can't/ don't write but continue in their putrid collapse of niggardly force. Moderators is a rubbish idea, and short-sighted - a forum of bored people will always be a forum of bored people, with greater or lesser contributers and greater or lesser shit-ness. Ebbs and tides, if it's boring at the moment, it's probably because you have nothing to add to it. Add something, don't, don't add something by saying nothing. All good options. If that there were a writing, if that we could make sense of it all...No finalities, no judgements, no sweeping generalisations, no nonsensical platitudes, no bitter affections, all in the hinterland of an assumption of a pseudonym of a mask of a series of ones and zeros dashing around in some metaphysical silege dump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2006, 01:51 PM   #29
Daddylikes
the end of the ugly

Daddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's asses
Dude, having fun with your chums is not "ripping the board apart". Most of our damn jokes are about one another anyways and totally retarded and non-offensive (unless you're a catholic grandmother).
Old 07.12.2006, 01:53 PM   #30
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
I dont think we need mods or anything,
but theres one thing I wish chabib would do, change hayden and ass's avatar please! Every other post I see some dude suckin' cock!

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2006, 01:54 PM   #31
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddylikesitintheass
Dude, having fun with your chums is not "ripping the board apart". Most of our damn jokes are about one another anyways and totally retarded and non-offensive (unless you're a catholic grandmother).
Steady on bitch.

Old 07.12.2006, 01:59 PM   #32
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

I would just like for this place to get back to the good old days. When people discussed things worth discussing. Not just a bunch of people gathered around yanking their shanks about being utter assholes.
Old 07.12.2006, 02:02 PM   #33
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
I would just like for this place to get back to the good old days. When people discussed things worth discussing. Not just a bunch of people gathered around yanking their shanks about being utter assholes.
Accidentally a NonSonics section is there.

Old 07.12.2006, 02:03 PM   #34
chabib
Administrator

chabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I would just like for this place to get back to the good old days. When people discussed things worth discussing.

i see that as being the case with a vast majority of posts. there are a million worthwhile things to start threads about or discuss in existing threads. like assblaster says, if that's what the people want, the people have the opportunity to keep those threads bumped to the top of the new posts list.

that's the way the internet should work.
chabib is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2006, 02:05 PM   #35
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

The Non-Sonics section should be renamed the "Those of you who wish to annoy the fucking piss out of everyone and intend to do it constantly, please resign yrself here"

And yet, that is another trouble. It seems that those who would want to carry on the ideas of the old board are gone. And there are none to replace them.
Old 07.12.2006, 02:10 PM   #36
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
I'm a member of other board that has a similar moderation policy to what the thread starter suggests. It's the strictest forum I've visited; I was banned for two weeks for a one message that, maybe, was slightly unappropriate. But nothing, nothing, compared to what is written here daily.
About half of you would be out in a day.
This place, like all boards, is cliqued and therefore that kind of system wouldn't be equally fair, especially on this forum. Plus it would be a hassle.

I mostly don't give a shit about hayden or assblaster, or the alleged downfall of the board. There's still people who contribute to this place, and they've been pretty much the same for the last couple years or so.
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2006, 02:14 PM   #37
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Ok, how about this. A more enforced policy on topics. Designate a part of the board a "moderation-free zone" and allow the nonsense to carry on there, but not allow it to spread.
Old 07.12.2006, 02:15 PM   #38
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Ok, how about this. A more enforced policy on topics. Designate a part of the board a "moderation-free zone" and allow the nonsense to carry on there, but not allow it to spread.
ONLY-IN-AMERICA

Old 07.12.2006, 02:16 PM   #39
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

And only on the internet could stuff like this carry on.
Old 07.12.2006, 02:17 PM   #40
Daddylikes
the end of the ugly

Dude, but what would you moderate?

How would you determine if someone was doing something that required moderation or not?

I think this is really a ghost crisis. All of us must be really freaking bored out of our skulls (even though the weather here in N.C. is sunny and cool (the ozone level is another story) to have to complain about a board that is so informative it gets quoted in highly circulated music publications.

I mean, really

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth