Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

 
Thread Tools
Old 09.22.2017, 10:20 PM   #21561
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,647
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
rewatching Dark Knight Rises with the wife who had not seen it but is a big Hardy fanatic. halfway through. and will finish it tonght. I recently rewatched the one with ledger, and while the Joker scenes and plot were awesome, the harvey dent shit was lame.

I really am enjoying this one a lot more than when I first saw it. At the time I had not read the Bane storyline in the comics so I found the movie a bit lame, but I am digging it now. plus, between Julie Newmar and Anne Hathaway that really brings my Catwoman sexual obsession full circle. oh yeahhhh.......

Dark Knight is a better picture but Dark Knight Rises ain’t nothing to sneeze at.

Best mainstream film trilogy ever, probably.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.23.2017, 09:46 AM   #21562
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 34,433
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Dark Knight is a better picture but Dark Knight Rises ain’t nothing to sneeze at.

Best mainstream film trilogy ever, probably.
where's the family guy batman meme!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.23.2017, 04:01 PM   #21563
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,647
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
where's the family guy batman meme!

Don’t think there is one. But there should be.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.23.2017, 04:06 PM   #21564
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,647
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Maybe there is a Family Guy Batman thing...

 
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2017, 11:49 AM   #21565
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 34,433
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
just watched for the first time ever THE TRUMAN SHOW

 


i purposefully avoided it during its heyday somewhere in the late 90s

i see as its ancestors both "the prisoner" (the 60s tv show) and "pleasantville" and obvious reality shows like that mtv one i can't recall the name.

but i think that, more interestingly, it probably begat "the matrix" -- not in its ideas which are as old as the human ape ("what's real?" "is there another world?") but in probably making it possible for hollywood executives to greenlight such a story. or... i don't know. only 1 year apart? but it feels to me like 2 different eras.

i didn't know that truman show had been directed by peter weir. if i had, i probably would have watched it earlier. o well! looks like i missed out ha ha. tuff titties. caught up eventually. also the writer of this directed gattaca? hmmm...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2017, 12:35 PM   #21566
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,647
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
just watched for the first time ever THE TRUMAN SHOW

 


i purposefully avoided it during its heyday somewhere in the late 90s

i see as its ancestors both "the prisoner" (the 60s tv show) and "pleasantville" and obvious reality shows like that mtv one i can't recall the name.

but i think that, more interestingly, it probably begat "the matrix" -- not in its ideas which are as old as the human ape ("what's real?" "is there another world?") but in probably making it possible for hollywood executives to greenlight such a story. or... i don't know. only 1 year apart? but it feels to me like 2 different eras.

i didn't know that truman show had been directed by peter weir. if i had, i probably would have watched it earlier. o well! looks like i missed out ha ha. tuff titties. caught up eventually. also the writer of this directed gattaca? hmmm...


Gattaca has been called the most underrated science fiction film of all time. I forget by whom. Some website. Anyway, I’ve never seen Gattaca, but I kinda doubt this is true.

Truman Show is a good movie. You might be onto something with the Matrix comparison. Remember too that Blair Witch Project came out around this time, so the “meta-narrative” was starting to seep into film on a mainstream level.

I didn’t know it was directed by Peter Weir either. Why didn’t I know that?

Truman Show was up for Best Picture. Just sayin’. I retain trivial shit.

ETA: OH MY GOD THIS IS WHY I RECOGNIZE STAN BEEMAN FROM “THE AMERICANS”!!!
Noah Emmerich was in the Truman Show! Shit! I’ve been puzzling about this for WEEKS.

I Googled the Peter Weir thing, and BAM! the question that’s been tickling the back of my brain was just answered. Jesus, Slambang, get out of my subconscious or whatever!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2017, 01:09 PM   #21567
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 34,433
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
YES. THIS MORNING I WAS LIKE: AGENT BEEMAN UNDERCOVER LYING BASTARD!!!

true about the meta stuff. all so meta now. later we had inception, etc.

it's a gen-xer thing i think.

at least as far as obsessions go. holy mountain did it first with the zoom out showing the crew. but it wasn't a norm then.

gattaca was alright. i liked it. i didn't think it was O MAMA DIS GREAT DIS BESTEST MOOBY YESS. no. it was a nice movie. sort of pkdickish. well done, well shot, good actors, a little sad, just right for its time even with ethan hawke and uma while they were married (see, very gen-xer). as for underrated dont know anyone who said it was bad?

anyway checkit if you wanna. it's pretty, pretty good...

"of all time." lol.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2017, 01:58 PM   #21568
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 34,433
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
forgot to say, last night rewatched MANHATTAN, which i had not seen in ages.

first i thought it was older than annie hall, but no--it came right after. it's just that it's shot in black and white that makes it look older.

and it's a pretty great movie! BUT-- this time i could not get over the creepy aspect of a 42 year old dating a high school kid. i kept detaching from the story repeatedly because of it, and thinking "this is so fucking wrong."

so yes like ebert says it's not a love story, it's a story of loss and dysfunctional relationships, sure, and it's great black and white cinematography and those scenes with gershwin were fantastc, and little mariel heming way was great in it, but seeing how she was actually 18 at the time and woody allen slobbering over her in a horse carriage it was a bit gag-worthy.

i wanted to like it more but it was like a harsh staticky noise or worse, like a needle skipping on a scratched vinyl record and you're like "this is a great tune!" and then "akkkkhhhhhhh, my ears!"

 


ewwww! creeptastic!

but otherwise a really good movie about neurotic intellectuals/pseudointellectuals in new york at its cultural peak
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2017, 05:07 PM   #21569
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,647
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
forgot to say, last night rewatched MANHATTAN, which i had not seen in ages.

first i thought it was older than annie hall, but no--it came right after. it's just that it's shot in black and white that makes it look older.

and it's a pretty great movie! BUT-- this time i could not get over the creepy aspect of a 42 year old dating a high school kid. i kept detaching from the story repeatedly because of it, and thinking "this is so fucking wrong."

so yes like ebert says it's not a love story, it's a story of loss and dysfunctional relationships, sure, and it's great black and white cinematography and those scenes with gershwin were fantastc, and little mariel heming way was great in it, but seeing how she was actually 18 at the time and woody allen slobbering over her in a horse carriage it was a bit gag-worthy.

i wanted to like it more but it was like a harsh staticky noise or worse, like a needle skipping on a scratched vinyl record and you're like "this is a great tune!" and then "akkkkhhhhhhh, my ears!"

 


ewwww! creeptastic!

but otherwise a really good movie about neurotic intellectuals/pseudointellectuals in new york at its cultural peak

All true, all true.

Still, “Manhattan” is a great film. It really is. It’s defintiely super fucked up, and nobody should EVER act like it’s not. Woody is fucked up. But it’s a great movie from several different angles. Acting, cinematography, screenwriting, MUSIC OH MY GOD!! It’s just one of those movies.

It’s not even his best. “Annie Hall” is his best, in my dumb opinion, but I dig “Manhattan” big time. Used to have a huge framed poster from the movie in my first apartment.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2017, 05:10 PM   #21570
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,647
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
YES. THIS MORNING I WAS LIKE: AGENT BEEMAN UNDERCOVER LYING BASTARD!!!

holy mountain did it first
...
gattaca was alright. i liked it. i didn't think it was O MAMA DIS GREAT DIS BESTEST MOOBY YESS.
...
it's pretty, pretty good...

"of all time." lol.

BAAAA HAHAHA
I seriously think you and I would get along really well in dumb real life.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2017, 12:02 PM   #21571
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo
 
Rob Instigator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In the land of the Instigator
Posts: 27,437
Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
all pedophile relationships are dysfunctional by definition. someone kill boring ass woody allen finally...
__________________
RXTT's Intellectual Journey - my new blog where I talk about all the books I read.
Rob Instigator is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2017, 12:13 PM   #21572
evollove
invito al cielo
 
evollove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,611
evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Manhattan: I don't know if they are being honest or not, but he and the co-writer Marshall Brickman thought the relationship was supposed to be funny. And c'mon, it IS sorta funny. Ever see a couple like that and not laugh?
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2017, 12:25 PM   #21573
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 34,433
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
all pedophile relationships are dysfunctional by definition. someone kill boring ass woody allen finally...
well i dont know if mariel hemingway at 18 qualifies as a "child"

at the rate we're going soon pedophilia will mean fucking a 26 year old

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Manhattan: I don't know if they are being honest or not, but he and the co-writer Marshall Brickman thought the relationship was supposed to be funny. And c'mon, it IS sorta funny. Ever see a couple like that and not laugh?
maybe it was funny in '79 but these days just looks gross.

which is kinda my point... times and mores change because first time i saw this i paid it no mind (no it wasn't the 70s... more like the 90s...)
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2017, 02:51 PM   #21574
evollove
invito al cielo
 
evollove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,611
evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Are you sure it's not just Woody's personal life which is coloring your perception? As I look at that pic, I still think they are a silly-looking combo. I want to chuckle, not barf.

Did you know: Woody hated the film so much, he begged the company to not release it. Said he'd make them another one for free.

Meanwhile, he insists Hollywood Ending is one of his best.

What a weirdo!
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2017, 03:29 PM   #21575
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 34,433
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Are you sure it's not just Woody's personal life which is coloring your perception? As I look at that pic, I still think they are a silly-looking combo. I want to chuckle, not barf.

Did you know: Woody hated the film so much, he begged the company to not release it. Said he'd make them another one for free.

Meanwhile, he insists Hollywood Ending is one of his best.

What a weirdo!

well yes kinda sorta but not really

there's scene in a... gallery? boosktore? i forget where-- woody and diane keaton run into INCONCEIVABLE! (from the princess bride) who turns out to be her ex husband (lawrence or something?) and isaac (woody) says that homunculus was the gread ladies man? and she says yea.

of course inconceivable looks alot like isaac but... worse!

so it's either 2 jokes or it's confirmation that homunculi can be great in the sack.

but see, i used to have this diminutive college friend who drove this hot curvy woman into stalking him. when she approached me to cooperate in her stalking enterprise i refused but asked her what she saw in him she told me some obscene details i'd rather not repat.

so yes homunculi can be viable sex partners for beautiful women i say. why--you gotta ask them

soi don't know. i gotta get back to work so i must cease for the moment.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2017, 07:03 PM   #21576
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,647
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Homunculus as small person or homunculus as ghost in the machine-type-thing/phantom dude chillin’ in one’s prefrontal cortex?

Based on context clues, I’m guessing small person. But i don’t remember this part of the movie. Whatever.

Anyway, the relationship in the movie is creepy. It’s also funny, but it’s creepy and fucked up, and it was creepy and fucked up when the movie came out. At least a little bit.

But time has definitely had an impact on it. It’s kinda like... well, most romance films from the ‘50s and ‘60s, that have an air of casual but still pretty brutal sexism. Or, like, have you ever seen the “White Christmas” pre-quel/inspiration “Holiday Inn?” It’s kinda like that. Like, I’m sure it was adorable to have Bing Crosby perform in blackface in 1952, signing about how Lincoln freed them slaves, but it’s hard to watch that shit now and see it as anything other than totally fucked up.

Technically not pedophilia if she was 18 though. Still gross.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2017, 07:40 PM   #21577
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 34,433
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
right. exactly.

except for the pedophilia part-- pedophilia applies to prepubescent children. no?

fucking a willing, sexually developed teenager might be statutory rape per our social mores, but it's not the same as fucking a (brrrrr!!) an actual-actual *child.*

there's a serious biological difference between those two things, i don't know how we can conflate them or think they're one and the same. they're both wrong-- but theyre not the same.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2017, 10:04 PM   #21578
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,647
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
right. exactly.

except for the pedophilia part-- pedophilia applies to prepubescent children. no?

fucking a willing, sexually developed teenager might be statutory rape per our social mores, but it's not the same as fucking a (brrrrr!!) an actual-actual *child.*

there's a serious biological difference between those two things, i don't know how we can conflate them or think they're one and the same. they're both wrong-- but theyre not the same.

Yah yah you’re right.

Pretend I said “illegal” instead of “pedophilia.” Pedophilia is, clinically, a *child*-specific sexual impulse. Jesus, even typing that makes me feel like I belong in Hell.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2017, 12:29 AM   #21579
tw2113
the end of the ugly
 
tw2113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,128
tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Mortal Kombat.
__________________
Shake shake
tw2113 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2017, 05:58 AM   #21580
tesla69
invito al cielo
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,387
tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Distant Drums - Raoul Walsh
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
79
57997910291069107610771078 1079 1080108110821089 > »
-->

Thread Tools

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth