Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Last Gig You Went To And What Was It Like Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.12.2015, 03:18 AM   #161
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
I went to God's Pee on the 8th. They played two new new songs, and no oldies. So I was a bit disappointed. But after listening to the new ones, I'm starting to like them a lot. One sounds like Ennio Morricone, the other perhaps like Branca for a bit. And my recording sounds mighty fine

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2015, 02:47 PM   #162
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
Saw Thurston @The Cluny last night. Enjoyed the new songs and the extended noise jams. Michael Chapman supporting was oodles of melodic greatness.
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2015, 01:03 AM   #163
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Swans in Glasgow last night. Incredible.
Old 05.24.2015, 06:58 AM   #164
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
I went to God's Pee on the 8th. They played two new new songs, and no oldies. So I was a bit disappointed. But after listening to the new ones, I'm starting to like them a lot. One sounds like Ennio Morricone, the other perhaps like Branca for a bit. And my recording sounds mighty fine
saw them in Paris recently and they did the same thing - Rockets Fall and Moya were the only old tracks, was only the new album and new tracks apart from that (nothng from Allelujah Don't Bend Ascend either). I thought it was great though - saw them playing shows of oldies when they reunited a few years ago, but this last concert was definitely the best I saw from them, it really felt as if they were a band that was alive and kicking and not only doing reunion shows

also saw Clark + Battles + Vessel + Awesome Tapes From Africa + Cheveu yesterday, and Sherwood, Pinch and Mad Professor the night before that, great weekend!
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2015, 07:05 AM   #165
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
I went to Villette Sonique Festival two days ago.
Kevin Morby played (not too enthusiastic about it, two songs I dug, Pavement-like; I don't appreciate his voice).
Then came Ausmuteants; apart from the first song, I couldn't stand their low IQ.
Came back for the Gories; Mick Collins is some showman for sure; fine cover of Ghost Rider.

And then came Thee Oh Sees, and I wonder why I don't read more about them here when I pop from time to time.
They are a really really good live band.
Plus this time, John Dwyer said bye-bye to the young drummer who played for him last year, and replaced him with a double drumming team.
That was awesome!
Except I'm too old now to appreciate being pushed, I went to a corner so that I could see the show without being bruised by drunken wannabe-teenagers. Alas, the music is so entertaining that many people took the stage over and over.
Old songs, if a less than 5 years song can be old, gathered even more power with this line up and new songs such as Web were incredible.

The whole thing can be viewed on Arte Concert till 31-05; if it works (it doesn't really work much for me; I get The Dream anyway, which I love).
http://concert.arte.tv/fr/villette-s...du-22-mai-2015
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2015, 03:59 PM   #166
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand
I went to Villette Sonique Festival two days ago.
Kevin Morby played (not too enthusiastic about it, two songs I dug, Pavement-like; I don't appreciate his voice).
Then came Ausmuteants; apart from the first song, I couldn't stand their low IQ.
Came back for the Gories; Mick Collins is some showman for sure; fine cover of Ghost Rider.

And then came Thee Oh Sees, and I wonder why I don't read more about them here when I pop from time to time.
They are a really really good live band.
Plus this time, John Dwyer said bye-bye to the young drummer who played for him last year, and replaced him with a double drumming team.
That was awesome!
Except I'm too old now to appreciate being pushed, I went to a corner so that I could see the show without being bruised by drunken wannabe-teenagers. Alas, the music is so entertaining that many people took the stage over and over.
Old songs, if a less than 5 years song can be old, gathered even more power with this line up and new songs such as Web were incredible.

The whole thing can be viewed on Arte Concert till 31-05; if it works (it doesn't really work much for me; I get The Dream anyway, which I love).
http://concert.arte.tv/fr/villette-s...du-22-mai-2015
ha! was actually at Villette Sonique yesterday and today, but missed Thee Oh Sees unfortunately - would have loved to see them, great live band. saw Ought today, really enjoyed their show though I was mostly sitting in the grass a bit further
Old 06.06.2015, 01:30 PM   #167
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
ufomommaut, pretty great!
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2015, 04:34 AM   #168
SYRFox
invito al cielo

saw Princess Chelsea live this week - wasn't really expecting much but it was actually one of the best shows I've seen in the past few months, great pop music
Old 06.09.2015, 06:39 AM   #169
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
We played this most awesome festival last weekend in a huge park.

some of my highlights were
katie o'neill from dublin

sweet acoustic melodies
drink my blooooood
from the dagger in my heartttttt
haha

least carpet from würzburg

sweet drone set on the instrument i can't ever remember the name of

other cool stuff:

Helvette
Battle-ax

my man roy culbertson putting around 20 contact mics on a huge tree

A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2015, 02:54 PM   #170
Gulasch Noir
the end of the ugly

Gulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's asses
^^Last gig I went to was the one the gent who posted above also played (as Torùn). It was great.
https://soundcloud.com/madame-tor-n
Gulasch Noir is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2015, 07:03 PM   #171
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Selvhenter tonight in London, a drummer down but still SICK AS FUCK
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2015, 01:10 AM   #172
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Selvhenter tonight in London, a drummer down but still SICK AS FUCK
Agreed. They make me want to move to Denmark.
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2015, 07:05 PM   #173
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulasch Noir
^^Last gig I went to was the one the gent who posted above also played (as Torùn). It was great.
https://soundcloud.com/madame-tor-n

i delete if you want
or you punch me in the face next time

A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2015, 09:52 AM   #174
Drjohnrock
children of satan

Drjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's asses
On Thursday night, I caught the Shonen Knife/C J Ramone tour. In addition to his own tunes, C J is keeping the Ramones spirit alive. And after years of not being able to make Shonen Knife gigs, I finally got to see them. They're no novelty act folks--they can rock with the best of them. And as an added treat, the lead singer/guitarist's sister is back in the band, at least temporarily. A fine evening of music all around.
Drjohnrock is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2015, 04:52 AM   #175
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Saw Alice Cooper yesterday. It was hell of R´N`R-show! He´s same age as Chris Squire was, he´s not seem to die in many years! Opeth was also really great.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2015, 07:44 AM   #176
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Lesbian and Hungers, new vocalist with Lesbian with an incredible range, another good metal band from Oakland upcoming here is Dispirit, west coast metal is real creative these days!
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2015, 01:52 PM   #177
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Was at the opening night of the Grateful Dead 50 in Santa Clara.. wow. I mean, i was hesitant to go initially because i didn't think itd be anywhere near as good as it was. A rainbow broke out directly over the entire stadium on the closing song of the first set just as the sun was setting and the clowdy sky turned burned orange and red... they Phil take over and it was a psychedelic jam session.. when they played dark star fireworks went off and so did the crowd. Worth the drive up from LA..

I was worried it was just gonna be a nostalgia show but no.. they created something new

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2015, 09:48 AM   #178
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion yesterday in Paris.
He's been around for a while, but he doesn't look like he's fed up.
The performance was really good, a fluent stream of music til the encore. Some tracks keep differing from what's been recorded, so that's appreciated.
He's had a video played on a screen behind him. Pictures as pulsating as the music.

Quite a good time.
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.24.2015, 10:47 AM   #179
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
I went to see Bern NIx Quartet at Shapeshifter, they were listed at 7:00 and then some other group at 8:15. I got there at 7:20 and nothing was happening, other than a wall sized video of some authoriatrian black woman speaking in that incontrovertible voice about how everything is the fault of white privilege. At 8:30 the other band started to play, meaning Nix wouldn't be playing until 10 pm and I had to leave, as I had an early am wakeup, the only reason I went is they were advertised to play at 7:00. They shouldn't be called shapeshifter, they should be called time vampire. This is why I don't go to shows anymore, the whole alcohol based music culture is a series of time vampires, stealing my life.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.23.2016, 04:52 PM   #180
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
Jesu
Sun Kil Moon
Steve Shelley
and another guy on guitar

in Paris, Divan Du Monde, last Monday. Tiny place with many couches in the balcony area. Didn't see the balcony though, I stood front row. Mostly because my back starts to ache after standing for more than 30 minutes in a row, yep getting old....
Support act was pretty good as well, A Guy Called Nobody or something like that. Sounds sorts of like a solo slowcore act, and his voice and guitar playing reminded me of a Belgian band named Krakow that used to open for Low a couple of times. I think he was French, but his singing voice didn't have a French accent, so that was good (no offense to the French but hey)

Main act was very good, I seriously nearly cried during two songs, Exodus and the over 20 minutes extra extra long version of Beautiful You which featured some extra pages of lyrics, especially written for the occasion.
Not all was good though, but what was good was very good ;-)
The other guy played on two different guitars, the songs he played on the Les Paul sounded strange / out of tune / something like that. But whenever he played the other guitar it matched perfectly with what Jesu played.

Unfortunately I once again *^&%cked up the recording. Should have turned of my mobile phones, the recording is filled with interference noises.... Bummer, I think it's not good enough to share. But I might change my mind over time ...

Anyways I feel very fortunate that I was there
Only bummer was that they had already sold out on the new album, as well as the cool shirt. In fact the guy in front of me walked away with both

If anyone really cares for watching that video, you can spot me in the bottom right corner.

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth