Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Those 'if only...' bands
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.17.2007, 07:22 PM   #41
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
If only Deerhoof's lyrics weren't so cutesy asian kitch with the lyrics. Too many beep beep's and whatever.
I like that about Deerhoof. You don't really get a whole lot of that in the grand scheme of music, so when Deerhoof does it, it's cool with me.
Alex's Trip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2007, 07:23 PM   #42
LDopa
little trouble girl

LDopa ain't too shabby
Sonic Youth if THEY DIDN'T SUCK
LDopa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2007, 07:35 PM   #43
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Primus if their songs lived up to my expectations that I drew from their cool guitar sounds in the South Park credits.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2007, 02:43 PM   #44
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I'd like Phish a lot more if, rather than playing jam music to stoners, they re-trained as plumbers and electricians and came round to sort my house out, possibly stopping for a cup of strong sugary tea or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2007, 02:46 PM   #45
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I'd like Pavement if Malkmous [sp?] didn't write such piss-awful, pseudo-intelligent, faux-stream-of-consciousness horseshit lyrics and didn't sing like a fucking prick.

Without disagreeing with you per se, I still say, piss off.

I can't elucidate that.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2007, 02:48 PM   #46
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I would like Deerhoof a lot without the squeeky voice deal.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2007, 02:52 PM   #47
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by truncated
Without disagreeing with you per se, I still say, piss off.

I can't elucidate that.

I totally love you.

Oh, and by way of an addition to my previous post - Phish had better clean their filthy pits before they even think about having a go at my shower-head.

That's not a metaphor, in case anyone's wondering.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 06.18.2007, 02:55 PM   #48
sarramkrop

Pavement remind me of a kid who wants to be manly without having developed the body to show it all off. Brilliant sometimes, but generally lacking any of the force that they aspire to.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2007, 02:59 PM   #49
Glice
invito al cielo

I think whoever said they were good at melody was right, that's what makes the UNBELIEVABLY SHIT lyrics stand out. I can listen to Pavement about two days a year, the days when I don't have my ability to hear lyrics head on.

Quote:
Old 06.18.2007, 03:05 PM   #50
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
bands you'd like a lot more, if only...

I'm like that with Shellac. I'd like them a lot more, if only I could get over the fact that Steve Albini seems like a bit of a prick, and they'd stop doing aeroplane impressions on stage.

listen to the music. get over the personalities of the band, and their stage show. It's the MUSIC.
Old 06.18.2007, 03:06 PM   #51
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
If only the Butthole Surfers hadn't considerably sullied their reputation by their court case with Touch & Go. Would yoiu buy a Breadhead Sue-ers album these days?

are you a moron? do you not knwo that gibby and company had NO MONEY and touch and Go were ripping them off and Touch & Go ripped EVETRYONE off?

Long live the buttholes!
Old 06.18.2007, 03:09 PM   #52
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

and malkmus' lyrics are fucking wonderful. I will take them any day over the bullshit boy needs girl lyrics that fill so much of music.

if you don;t like malkmus' lyrics then you don;t like thurston;s lyrics and you don;t like kim;s lyrics. they all flow from the same fount.
Old 06.18.2007, 03:11 PM   #53
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I think whoever said they were good at melody was right, that's what makes the UNBELIEVABLY SHIT lyrics stand out. I can listen to Pavement about two days a year, the days when I don't have my ability to hear lyrics head on.

Classical indie. There you go, I've coined the term for you. Now, go and compose three movements for kebab shop-approaching and getting your butt out of The Garage, and the whole thing will fall into place. Do you fancy a record contract?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2007, 03:13 PM   #54
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Classical indie. There you go, I've coined the term for you. Now, go and compose three movements for kebab shop-approaching and getting your butt out of The Garage, and the whole thing will fall into place. Do you fancy a record contract?

A nice idea, but Comet Gain have made a career out of it already.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2007, 03:19 PM   #55
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
and malkmus' lyrics are fucking wonderful. I will take them any day over the bullshit boy needs girl lyrics that fill so much of music.

if you don;t like malkmus' lyrics then you don;t like thurston;s lyrics and you don;t like kim;s lyrics. they all flow from the same fount.

Obsequious without being intelligent; oblique without being enticing; far too fucking arch; faux-random. Latter-period he can write the odd alright tune.

SY, meanwhile, say nothing in particular very well - their lyrics never jump out and say, "hello, I'm a smart lyric, please admire my smartness". Well, sometimes, but generally not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop

Record contract? I'm so indie I sell my records by psychic connection. I do quite like the Kaiser Chiefs though.

Quote:
Old 06.18.2007, 03:20 PM   #56
sarramkrop

I didn't know. When?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2007, 03:31 PM   #57
Glice
invito al cielo

Pssh. You're obviously not indie enough. Maybe if you'd like, uh, got it you'd like, uh, totally get it? Pssh.

Quote:
Old 06.18.2007, 03:39 PM   #58
sarramkrop

Will you grab my hand? I walk like a child.

She saw you typing Cindy, Mary and Shirley on your typewriter.

So wrong, it was the handkerchief that granddad gave me to prove that i cleaned the car the right way.

It's for you, Glice. Indie.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2007, 03:46 PM   #59
Glice
invito al cielo

I wrote a gay coming out song once that was really gay and indie. The chorus went, "I'm gay, I'm gay and I'm happier this way" and had lyrics like, "my heart skips a beat/ at the sight of his size ten feet". It's quite good.

Quote:
Old 06.18.2007, 06:00 PM   #60
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
are you a moron? do you not knwo that gibby and company had NO MONEY and touch and Go were ripping them off and Touch & Go ripped EVETRYONE off?

Long live the buttholes!

Thank you for the moron comment. It brought a tear to my jap's eye.

I would wager just about every band on Touch and Go, in fact the overwhelming majority of bands on both major and indie lables, could claim the "no money" reason. So what? From my subjective perspective, the Buttholes suddenly became interested in suing Touch and Go once they'd been booted off EMI. Also, the last time I checked, Corey Rusk has an exemplary track record in dealing with his artists, both present and past. With all respect, I do not agree with your comments re. T & G. Could you please provide solid evidence as to who else Corek Rusk and co. ripped off?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth