Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Classic Albums #4: Pussy Galore's Right Now
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.28.2007, 10:10 AM   #21
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
This vid isn't from Right Now, but for those that haven't heard them, you'll get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0fikUrtTTQ

Youtube has some other vids by bands called Pussy Galore, but this is the only one on there by the 'actual' band.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2007, 10:17 AM   #22
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
How the mighty fell part 23:

Jon Spencer in full cool-as-fuck mode. HOT.

The Spencer in Heavy Trash mode - Bads Seeds couture. NOT.
Old 06.28.2007, 10:48 AM   #23
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
How the mighty fell part 23:

Jon Spencer in full cool-as-fuck mode. HOT.

The Spencer in Heavy Trash mode - Bads Seeds couture. NOT.

Hideous! Talk about someone having no idea what was good about them in the first place.
Old 06.28.2007, 11:02 AM   #24
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
I always thought there was a similarity to the bands in that their first albums and collected singles were great and the compilings of each are amazing (Corpse Love and What Was Music respectively) and then they both put out 2nd albums that just sucked. The end.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2007, 08:40 PM   #25
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
On the subject of PG, what's with the Einsturzende-ish symbol on "Sugarshit Sharp"?

NVM, I forgot Yu Guns was an EN cover.
dionysusundone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2007, 09:30 PM   #26
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
one of the best bands ever.

i'm still stuck on corpse love so i can't really say anything.

just that it's a very good call on this neglected by the mainstream critics and fans to discuss.

how about a ravaging of a classic that in turn becomes a classic (and a classic rarity at that)?, of course i'm talking about exile on main street.

anyway, i'm still pissed no one read my post on damaged.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2007, 03:13 AM   #27
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
A funny thing about PG is that they got to play one of their tunes for an East-coast TV channel.
The thing can be seen on "Maximum Penetration", a video on Atavistic that ain't quite good since it shows a black & white gig, the camera directed towards a TV set showing the band, a painful thing to see. And the lyrics are buried too.
Still, in the middle of the tape, you've got that TV host (was it New Brunswick?), introducing the band, about to play one of their tracks from their "Pussy Gold 5000" EP.
Cristina Martinez had already been sacked, and you've got the 4 remaining members :
Neil Hagerty, hidden by his hanging hair, Julie Cafritz, torturing her guitar chords, Bob Bert, eyes closed, happily achieving not to hit any cymbal or drumkit, and Jon Spencer...
Spencer wears a leather coat fit for a tall muscular guy. Spencer, at that period of time, was even slimer that these days, and the coat seems to weigh a ton on his shoulders.
He's got a nice heavy looking guitar he barely touches. The guitar hangs low, and he can't lip-sync the song properly, for it was quite impossible to do so as all came out impulsively or spontaneously on record (same for gigs, regarding material prior to JSBX Acme). All he seems to be thinking of is "when will my recorded voice spurt out? shit, too late", with that weight on his shoulders, and the weight of his guitar bringing him down.
To cap it all, when the music ends, his guitar falls to the ground, its suspender (?) cracking.
This, the falling guitar part, is to be seen in the video Sonic Youth made for Teenage Riot.

As for Right Now, I don't know it; just heard and liked a lot NYC1999 (from the video).

EDIT : "funny thing" I wrote. I didn't mean to laugh at the man. My jaw dropped when I first saw it for Spencer had gathered every single cliché about rock'n'roll when he didn't seem to fit for the part. His desire to become THE number one could be seen and I respected that a lot.
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2007, 04:19 AM   #28
dressedindreams
bad moon rising

dressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant future
any contenders for the next classic album?
dressedindreams is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2007, 06:11 PM   #29
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
the next classic album should be polvo - today's active lifestyles.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2007, 06:12 PM   #30
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
or disco volante. or yank crime. or vision creation newsun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2007, 06:17 PM   #31
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand
A funny thing about PG is that they got to play one of their tunes for an East-coast TV channel.
The thing can be seen on "Maximum Penetration", a video on Atavistic that ain't quite good since it shows a black & white gig, the camera directed towards a TV set showing the band, a painful thing to see. And the lyrics are buried too.
Still, in the middle of the tape, you've got that TV host (was it New Brunswick?), introducing the band, about to play one of their tracks from their "Pussy Gold 5000" EP.
Cristina Martinez had already been sacked, and you've got the 4 remaining members :
Neil Hagerty, hidden by his hanging hair, Julie Cafritz, torturing her guitar chords, Bob Bert, eyes closed, happily achieving not to hit any cymbal or drumkit, and Jon Spencer...
Spencer wears a leather coat fit for a tall muscular guy. Spencer, at that period of time, was even slimer that these days, and the coat seems to weigh a ton on his shoulders.
He's got a nice heavy looking guitar he barely touches. The guitar hangs low, and he can't lip-sync the song properly, for it was quite impossible to do so as all came out impulsively or spontaneously on record (same for gigs, regarding material prior to JSBX Acme). All he seems to be thinking of is "when will my recorded voice spurt out? shit, too late", with that weight on his shoulders, and the weight of his guitar bringing him down.
To cap it all, when the music ends, his guitar falls to the ground, its suspender (?) cracking.
This, the falling guitar part, is to be seen in the video Sonic Youth made for Teenage Riot.

As for Right Now, I don't know it; just heard and liked a lot NYC1999 (from the video).

EDIT : "funny thing" I wrote. I didn't mean to laugh at the man. My jaw dropped when I first saw it for Spencer had gathered every single cliché about rock'n'roll when he didn't seem to fit for the part. His desire to become THE number one could be seen and I respected that a lot.

For the hundredth time, SELL ME THAT VIDEO. P L E A S E !
Old 07.01.2007, 07:38 PM   #32
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
next classic?

misfits - walk among us, i have a good question about them.
or iron maiden's powerslave (hell, i'd accept a number of the beast thread just so i can dismember that album).

or esle, i echo today's active lifestyles and yank crime.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.07.2007, 08:47 PM   #33
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I only like the first couple of Blues Exp. albums. After that JS turned into a right prat.
Old 07.07.2007, 08:56 PM   #34
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
VCN, TAL, or Yank Crime are all CLASSICS.
Old 07.17.2007, 03:07 PM   #35
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
During a particularly pathetic period of my life I did a whole rate-album-tracks -out-of-ten thing, then work out album averages, and so on. It killed some time only to conclude that Big Country were the greatest band of all time. Ah, how periods of non-direction in one's life can throw up such devastating truths.

I'm glad you're so much less "pathetic" now with less "non-direction."

Robert Rauschenberg, Canyon, 1959. Combine on canvas 81 3/4 x 70 x 24 inches.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth