Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Ten all time albums
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.29.2010, 08:46 AM   #121
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhb
ALSO if youre into the Miles first quintet (with Coltrane, Garland, Chambers, Jones) then get the album MILESTONES.. it's the natural progression of all the work that band had done plus Cannonball Adderley is in the group with Coltrane and they basically battle for the whole album.

hell yeah. I have a copy of this but have yet to find a decent vinyl version
Old 07.29.2010, 08:49 AM   #122
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
I implore you to get 'John Coltrane Plays' (the album after 'A Love Supreme'). It's possible my favourite Trane, and is depressingly underloved. Seriously fantastic. At the very least, 'Song of Praise' would likely be my single favourite Trane track if I was forced to pick. Oh, and how do you not have the Monk/Coltrane at the Carnegie hall record?! That's beyond ace.

adding to the list!
Old 07.29.2010, 11:33 AM   #123
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkaspoo
I don't know why it came as a bit surprise to someone here to mention wigwam, not that I'm a big fan of theirs, only familiar with some stuff

I´m a big fan of Wigwam. I really think Fairyport is best album of the world. I prefer the "first Wigwam" (there were Gustavson-Pohjola-Pembroke-Österberg) but I like a lot also the second company. And their comeback album "Light Ages" is also quite good, after that they haven´t made anything that is about to mention.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2010, 11:53 AM   #124
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
It´s wonderful, that so many could mention only ten albums and leave many "love-ones" out. Because somebody have made new lists, I also mention the albums, that I have to leave out with big pain:

Pink Floyd: Atom Heart Mother
the Who: the Who Sell Out
The Velvet Underground and the Nico
Joy Division: Unknown Pleasures
Jethro Tull: Thick As a Brick
the Rolling Stones: Beggars Banquet
The Beatles: Revolver
The Pretty Things: S.F. Sorrow
Bauhaus: Mask
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion: Orange
Sielun Veljet: Suomi-Finland (somebody already mentioned this, it´s really great album)
Jimi Tenor and His Shamans: Diktafon (another great Finnish album)
Gun Club: Fire of Love
the Cramps: Psychedelic Jungle
Amon Duul II: Tanz Der Lemminge
Hawkwind: Warrior on the Edge Of time
Traffic: Mr. Fantasy
the Doors: Strange Days
Björk: Medulla
Kate Bush: the Kick Inside
Country Joe and the Fish: Electric Music for the Mind and the Body
Cream: Disraeli Gears
Osibisa: Heads

There are still many more, but maybe I have to finish this.
Old 07.29.2010, 04:48 PM   #125
Massassinated
bad moon rising

Massassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I started thinking about a classical 10 and I got so far as going 'there is no fucking way I'm picking just one Feldman piece' before I gave up. What recording of the Bartok do you have? Only I have a 1950s recording that's not the best.
Can't check it right now, but I think I have the one with Reiner and the Chicago symphonic orchestra. Fricsay's rendition is supposed to be really good, but I haven't heard it.

But yeah, a classical top 10 is basically sth infeasible.
Old 07.30.2010, 06:39 AM   #126
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFoxBen
Dude, your top is really interesting. "The Black Rider" is rarely a favorite, weird...

It was really hard to choose best Tom Waits album, cause I love all he has made after Heartattack and vine (though the seventies album are also very great, but I think something good happen in swordfishtrombones and luckily it´s going still). I think the Black rider is strongest entity in his production. I like the Burroughs story. Albums´s music is also so versatile, there are some elements that are not in any other Waits album. To me it is very hard to understand, why Black Rider couldn´t be a favourite.
Old 07.30.2010, 07:01 AM   #127
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massassinated
Can't check it right now, but I think I have the one with Reiner and the Chicago symphonic orchestra. Fricsay's rendition is supposed to be really good, but I haven't heard it.

But yeah, a classical top 10 is basically sth infeasible.

Thanks for the heads up.

I had another little think about my classical top 10. Again, something like Bach's Sonatas and Partitas for solo violin - I could almost do a top 10 featuring only that. It'd definitely feature well up on my favourite CDs ever, but it'd be a bloody nightmare picking between renditions (or, essentially, between Heifetz and Kremer), especially as there's usually another four released each year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2010, 07:19 AM   #128
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Ten 'symphonies' (cheating).

Beethoven 3
Schnittke 6
Mahler 3
Strauss Ein Heldenleben [I'm allowing myself tone poems]
Shostakovich 13
Saint-Saens 3
Tchiakovsky 6
Sibelius 6
Mozart 38
Ligeti Atmosphéres [See 4]

3 and 6 are good numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2010, 04:14 PM   #129
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

shabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Trane-wise please tell me you have MY FAVORITE THINGS???

live at birdlands (as in my list) is just the perfect trane cd (set) I think

shabbray2.0 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2010, 04:39 PM   #130
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Five Great 'Best Of's by bands that never recorded truly great albums:

Blondie - Best of Blondie
Abba - Gold
The Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady
The Carpenters - Gold
Phil Spector - Back to Mono

Five great label or genre compilations not known for producing great stand alone albums by individual artists:

Tamla Motown Gold: The Sound of Young America (although there obviously have been some great Motown albums by individual artists)
Street Sounds Electro, volumes 1 - 22
Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the First Psychedelic Era 1965-1968
Pebbles:
Original Artyfacts from the First Punk Era, volumes 1 - 28
Greensleeves Sampler, volumes 1 - 23
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2010, 04:58 PM   #131
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Five Great 'Best Of's by bands that never recorded truly great albums:

Blondie - Best of Blondie
Abba - Gold
The Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady
The Carpenters - Gold
Phil Spector - Back to Mono

Five great label or genre compilations not known for producing great stand alone albums by individual artists:

Tamla Motown Gold: The Sound of Young America (although there obviously have been some great Motown albums by individual artists)
Street Sounds Electro, volumes 1 - 22
Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the First Psychedelic Era 1965-1968
Pebbles:
Original Artyfacts from the First Punk Era, volumes 1 - 28
Greensleeves Sampler, volumes 1 - 23

No...just, no.
Old 07.31.2010, 06:00 PM   #132
jetengine
children of satan

jetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's asses
Okay, here goes--the extremely truncated version:

John Coltrane, Giant Steps (1960)
Connie Smith, Connie Smith (1964)
The Doors, The Doors (1967)
The Velvet Underground, The Velvet Underground & Nico (1967)
The Pink Floyd, The Piper At The Gates of Dawn (1967)
The Dubliners, Drinkin' and Courtin' (1968)
MC5, Back In The USA (1970)
Black Sabbath, Black Sabbath (1970)
Rachel Sweet, Fool Around (North American version, 1979)
Sonic Youth, A Thousand Leaves (1998)

Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?--Johhny Rotten, 1977
jetengine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2010, 06:16 PM   #133
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
What, no Hasil Adkins?

Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2010, 06:34 PM   #134
jetengine
children of satan

jetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's asses
No, no Adkins, I'm afraid.
jetengine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2010, 06:42 PM   #135
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNZGZv5IbYI Does this song not want you to just throw it on there without even hearing the full thing because it's THAT good?
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2010, 12:56 AM   #136
ben
empty page

ben has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
jane's addiction - nothing's shocking
SY - thousand leaves
galaxie 500 - today
pavement - CR/CR
MBV - isn't anything
animal collective - feels
wilco - a ghost is born
floyd - dark side of the moon
broken social scene - you forgot it in people
flaming lips - priest driven ambulance
ben is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2010, 07:33 AM   #137
Guest Informant
little trouble girl

Guest Informant kicks all y'all's assesGuest Informant kicks all y'all's assesGuest Informant kicks all y'all's assesGuest Informant kicks all y'all's assesGuest Informant kicks all y'all's assesGuest Informant kicks all y'all's assesGuest Informant kicks all y'all's assesGuest Informant kicks all y'all's assesGuest Informant kicks all y'all's assesGuest Informant kicks all y'all's assesGuest Informant kicks all y'all's asses
The Madcap Laughs - Syd Barrett
Daydream Nation - SY
Loveless - My Bloody Valentine
69 - AR Kane
The Modern Dance - Pere Ubu
Today's Active Lifestyles - Polvo
Low - David Bowie
Metal Box - PiL
Flying Doesn't Help - Anthony Moore
Witch Cults Of The Radio Age - Broadcast & Focus Group
Guest Informant is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2010, 10:56 AM   #138
frades
children of satan

frades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's asses
1 pink floyd - dark side of the moon
2 sonic youth - sonic nurse
3 dire straits - on every street
4 the beatles - sgt pepper's lonely hearts club band
5 michael jackson - thriller
6 les thugs - strike
7 claude francois - magnolia for ever
8 sonic youth - dirty
9 les thugs - nineteen something
10 nirvana - bleach
11 the beatles - magical mystery tour
12 pennywise - reason to believe
13 sonic youth - a thousand leaves
14 cast - beetroot
frades is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.24.2010, 08:01 AM   #139
Cooking With Satan
little trouble girl

Cooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's asses
This is forever changing, and so I can't even put it in an order:

Sun City Girls - Grotto of Miracles
The Beatles - The Beatles (White Album)
Mr Bungle - Disco Volante
Erkin Koray - Elektronik Turkuler
Boredoms - Chocolate Synthesizer
Piero Umiliani - 5 Bambole Per La Luna D'agosto
v/a - Cambodian Rocks
Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood - Nancy & Lee
Miles Davis - Live at the Fillmore East (March 7, 1970): It's About That Time
Caroliner - Cooking Stove Beast
Cooking With Satan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.24.2010, 08:31 AM   #140
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Have probably done this before but eh.. here's my top 20.

1. boredoms - vision creation newsun
2. john fahey - god time and causality
3. captain beefheart - ice cream for crow
4. wire - pink flag
5. joy division - unknown pleasures
6. slint - spiderland
7. slowdive - pygmalion
8. cerberus shoal - chaiming the knobblessone
9. glenn branca - the ascension
10. autechre - draft 7.30
11. sonic youth - confusion is sex
12. sun city girls - torch of the mystics