Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Thurston's ATP: YOUR ideal line-up
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.06.2006, 09:58 PM   #1
Katy
the destroyed room

Katy kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's asses
I'm going to Thurston's ATP because The Stooges are playing and because I love All Tomorrow's Parties. (Oh and I suppose for SY too. )

I'm going to buy a ticket without knowing who else will be on. ATP (cool!) @ Butlins (fun!) in Somserset (lovely!) with The Stooges (GODS!) and Sonic Youth (yeah!) is worth £115 (pittance!) to me. The rest will just be... bonus material.

But. That won't stop me from making up my own fantasy festival line-up. I hope it won't stop you either.

So. WHO would you want to see at Thurston's ATP weekend?

I haven't given it too much thought yet, but I hope for Peaches. She's an ATP stalwart, I always have fun at her shows, she's got a new record out in July and, hey, if Iggy's gonna be around.. she won't have to use the projector for that one song.

Vincent Gallo put together a really nice eclectic mix last year; old and new, loud and quiet, boys and girls, prog and pop, funny and serious, obscure and not-quite-so-obscure. It was great. Even the in-chalet TV programming was great. Without specifics, I hope for that. Mixed like a tornado and great like ice cream.

The Stooges, Sonic Youth, Peaches, Antony & The Johnsons, Mike Watt (Dos would be cool.. or the Secondmen. Hellride would perhaps be wrong/weird, but I'd still love it.) John Frusciante, Lydia Lunch, Diamanda Galas, The Tiger Lillies, Ari-Up, !!!, Regina Spektor, Patti Smith (singing, reading, just walking around.. I don't care), Selfish Cunt, Joanna Newsom, Sparks, Suicide, Eels, Deerhoof, The 5678's, Ellen Allien, Richard Hell...
Katy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2006, 10:13 PM   #2
soapbars
the destroyed room

soapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's asses
our management are trying to get us on, so having my band on the line up would have to be my fantasy,

other than that,

tiger force, art brut, the yell, das wanderlust, liars, 65 days of static, help she cants swim,

dunno who else, itll end up that none of those bands are playing proberly, oh well
soapbars is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2006, 11:43 PM   #3
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
considering thurston's tastes i would love to see this kind of line up

Rhys Chatham , Loren Mazzacane Connors, Mats Gustafsson , Keiji Haino , Zeena Parkins, Text of Light,
The Boredoms, Borbetomagus, XBXRX, Magik Markers, Sun City Girls, Sunburned Hand of the Man, Nautical Almanac, Bardo Pond, Double Leopards, Can't, 16 Bitch Pile Up, Metalux, Sunn 0))), No Neck Blues Band, Boris, Kim Gordon And The Sweet Ride, To Live and Shave in L.A., Burning Star Core, Cat Power, Erase Errata, Sleater-Kinney, Les Georges Leningrad, White Magic, Patti Smith, Peaches, Mike Watt, College Girl Gone Wild, Jim O'Rourke, Stereolab, The Believers, Mirror Dash, Pagoda, and Flaherty/Corsono Duo among others
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2006, 11:44 PM   #4
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
thurston should get journey reunited with steve perry for atp

that's pretty much the only way i would be impressed with any of his choices
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2006, 11:47 PM   #5
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
don't stop believin'. hold on to that feelin'.
jennthebenn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2006, 07:12 AM   #6
doctor dan
bad moon rising

doctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's asses
im guessing the lineups gonna be mostly based around ecstatic peace type stuff, prolly with magick markers, chris corsano, maybe some wolf eyes or aaron dilloway, black dice etc

itd be great to see animal collective
Old 04.07.2006, 07:21 AM   #7
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
As i cant go, i hope its an exact replica of the last day of Reading festival 2002 (It was so bad i left a day early) so as to lessen the blow.

I thought the other day "I bet he gets Pavement to reform". That would officially crush me.
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2006, 07:23 AM   #8
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapbars
65 days of static

It would be wicked if they were playing, One Time for all time is a brilliant album.
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2006, 09:44 AM   #9
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't read anyone else's yet 'cause I didn't want to be influenced.
Ok here goes...

Stereolab
The Believers
Dean Roberts
Tarpis Tula
Charalambides
Blood Stereo
Magik Markers
Silver Jews
Carlos Giffoni
Prurient
Jessica Rylan
Double Leopards
The Angels Of Light
AIDS Wolf
Neil Michael Hagerty
Kites
Jim O'Rourke
Matt Valentine
Mouthus
Birchville Cat Motel
Espers
Black Dice
Dead C
(reformed) Germs (would be amusing)
Hototogisu
Ikue Mori
No-Neck Blues Band
Richard Hell (spoken word)
Sightings
Wooden Wand
Aaron Dilloway
Burning Star Core
Will Oldham
If he could get UT to reform and play that would be awesome
White Magic

Oh and as many SY side projects that they can squeeze in would be sweet... Diskaholic's, Text Of Light, Two Dollar Guitar, Kim,Ikue,DJ Olive etc. etc.

Just a few of the above would be amazing

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2006, 10:56 AM   #10
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

johnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's asses
i'd like
sy
dino jr
malkmus
stooges
dead meadow
boris
reformed pavement
reformed mr bungle
johnnywinternoshow is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2006, 11:04 AM   #11
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Realisticly i'd love to see Ampri Rampo playing, oh also Wolf Eyes even though I dont like the they supposedly do a bloody good show.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2006, 11:07 AM   #12
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
I'd like to see some Chocolate Monk action going on. Decaer Pinga and Blood Stereo for starters...Those guys always seem to play in places miles away from me like Brighton (where they are based), Leeds or Glasgow or something.

Also, No Neck Blues Band would be sweet.

I'll think of some more in due course.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2006, 07:43 PM   #13
Katy
the destroyed room

Katy kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Realisticly i'd love to see Ampri Rampo playing,

Yeah Afrirampo! I saw them at ATP last year. And I'm going to see them again next week! (They're playing Cargo on Wednesday..)

I do hope they play Thurston's party.

Some cool names being checked here, btw...

(PS - Latest thiing I've heard? Gossip-wise.. The Stooges are going to be playing TWICE.)
Old 04.07.2006, 07:57 PM   #14
chabib
Administrator

chabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapbars
our management are trying to get us on, so having my band on the line up would have to be my fantasy,

other than that,

tiger force, art brut, the yell, das wanderlust, liars, 65 days of static, help she cants swim,

dunno who else, itll end up that none of those bands are playing proberly, oh well

management usually has no bearing on ATP--except to reject an offer. the decisions will be thurston's.
chabib is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2006, 08:58 AM   #15
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
if you look at the line up for last years Nightmare Before Christmas, it seemed to be a lot of noise and stuff and Thurston Moore would be an ideal curator for such a festival...
whorefrost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2006, 09:26 AM   #16
Katy
the destroyed room

Quote:
Originally Posted by whorefrost
if you look at the line up for last years Nightmare Before Christmas, it seemed to be a lot of noise and stuff and Thurston Moore would be an ideal curator for such a festival...

Well, of course. It's All Tomorrow's Parties, it's The Noise Festival. I expect noise, lots of noise. But hopefully not JUST noise.

Some tunes would be nice too. What made Vincent Gallo's ATP (last April) so great was that he had acts like Merzbow right next to The Zombies.

Same with The Mars Volta's weekend (last December), they had plenty of noise and prog and undergroundexperimentalavantgarde stuff, but also Antony & the Johnsons and CocoRosie.

If he can get that mix right, it'll be fantastic. Like a good mix-tape should be. Get the mix wrong and it'll be... Metal Machine Music. (Which I personally like.. but maybe not for 3 days.)
Old 04.08.2006, 10:01 AM   #17
next step
the destroyed room

next step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's asses
I havent a fave line up, I'm trust in Thurston and Iggy
next step is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2006, 10:26 AM   #18
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Can I just ask about this. So i've got a few mates coming but they'll probably be paying at different times. Can we stay in the same chalet even though tickets have been bought at different times?

Old 04.08.2006, 01:24 PM   #19
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Oh right I think I do. Thanks alot man.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth