Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page the constantly-bumped "great releases of 2014" thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.02.2014, 11:09 AM   #161
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I have been listening to the Glitter & Doom live album a lot lately, and I'm reminded of how much I adore that crazy motherfucker.

I really respect him. He is a truly experimental artist, in every way. Ever since Swordfishtrombones he's been pushing the envelope and doing his own thing. I love artists who have a totally unique sound (hence my love of SY, who despite being as influential as a band can be, have never truly been successfully imitated. I guess that makes them inimitable, like Charles Dickens... Eh?); Tom Waits is similarly without peer. He will always rank among my top artists of all time. Also, he's just an awesome fucking dude.

Who better to play the Devil?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2014, 10:48 PM   #162
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I have been listening to the Glitter & Doom live album a lot lately, and I'm reminded of how much I adore that crazy motherfucker.

I really respect him. He is a truly experimental artist, in every way. Ever since Swordfishtrombones he's been pushing the envelope and doing his own thing. I love artists who have a totally unique sound (hence my love of SY, who despite being as influential as a band can be, have never truly been successfully imitated. I guess that makes them inimitable, like Charles Dickens... Eh?); Tom Waits is similarly without peer. He will always rank among my top artists of all time. Also, he's just an awesome fucking dude.

Who better to play the Devil?
I agree fully. Of course heīs got influences from Beefheart, Harry Partch & Howlin Wolf, but heīs anyway make the mixture of his own. I really love Waits, Beefeheart, Nick Cave & Dr. John, hard to say which of them is best. Also have to mentioned Jon Spencer with this blues based, personal musicmaking mengroup.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2014, 03:17 PM   #163
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I was going to mention Beefheart, but it didn't seem necessary. Yeah, Captain Beefheart was a stylistic influence for Waits, and both artists were experimentalists (an understatement, that) but I think Waits became his own sound long ago. He's managed to pretty much sever all ties with his peers and influences, which is a good thing, and something Beefrheart did as well. In doing so he seems to have become a truly a unique voice in music, and that's why I love him.

When Lou Reed died, I pulled out a shit ton of old albums & CD's and listened to his voice fight the very notion of "evolution" for 50 years, maintaining the same gritty, ironic, off-key timbre, whether he was talking, singing, reciting, attempting to croon (god I love his cover of "This Magic Moment") or screaming... I listened until I cried. Then I listened until I couldn't cry. Then I listened some more. Lou Reed's my favorite solo artist in the history of rock. I can't say that anyone will ever have a shot at taking that spot from him, but if anyone can it's Tom Waits.

(I had an odd premonition that he was going to die in 2013... Glad to see I was wrong, but the man can't live forever. If I outlive him, and get a chance to sit down with all my LP's, CD's, playlists and make my way through them like a crucible, sobbing and laughing-- cause y'know, it's Tom Waits, and he is hilarious at times-- I may find myself with a difficult decision to make.)

Just sayin', the man's importance to me is of Lou Reed level magnitude. My favorite albums are Swordfishtrombones, Real Gone, Alice/Blood Money, Rain Dogs, pretty much every album, because that's how much I love him... Like, even Heart of Saturday Night is a gem in my opinion, and I've been hearing that fucker since I was in diapers.

Long story short: Tom Waits is the genuine article. I have never seen the man perform live, and yes I'm ashamed about it and yes I have definitely lied about it in the past.... I've probably lied about it on this very board, because of the circumstances that surrounded my missing his first UK show in ten years, back when he was touring in support of Real Gone... (It's complicated- I had every intention of going, and I heard a few songs, but I spent that night drinking and being far too rowdy to have been allowed in anyway )

But yeah. Waits is the shite.
Old 09.03.2014, 11:03 PM   #164
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I was going to mention Beefheart, but it didn't seem necessary. Yeah, Captain Beefheart was a stylistic influence for Waits, and both artists were experimentalists (an understatement, that) but I think Waits became his own sound long ago. He's managed to pretty much sever all ties with his peers and influences, which is a good thing, and something Beefrheart did as well. In doing so he seems to have become a truly a unique voice in music, and that's why I love him.

When Lou Reed died, I pulled out a shit ton of old albums & CD's and listened to his voice fight the very notion of "evolution" for 50 years, maintaining the same gritty, ironic, off-key timbre, whether he was talking, singing, reciting, attempting to croon (god I love his cover of "This Magic Moment") or screaming... I listened until I cried. Then I listened until I couldn't cry. Then I listened some more. Lou Reed's my favorite solo artist in the history of rock. I can't say that anyone will ever have a shot at taking that spot from him, but if anyone can it's Tom Waits.

(I had an odd premonition that he was going to die in 2013... Glad to see I was wrong, but the man can't live forever. If I outlive him, and get a chance to sit down with all my LP's, CD's, playlists and make my way through them like a crucible, sobbing and laughing-- cause y'know, it's Tom Waits, and he is hilarious at times-- I may find myself with a difficult decision to make.)

Just sayin', the man's importance to me is of Lou Reed level magnitude. My favorite albums are Swordfishtrombones, Real Gone, Alice/Blood Money, Rain Dogs, pretty much every album, because that's how much I love him... Like, even Heart of Saturday Night is a gem in my opinion, and I've been hearing that fucker since I was in diapers.

Long story short: Tom Waits is the genuine article. I have never seen the man perform live, and yes I'm ashamed about it and yes I have definitely lied about it in the past.... I've probably lied about it on this very board, because of the circumstances that surrounded my missing his first UK show in ten years, back when he was touring in support of Real Gone... (It's complicated- I had every intention of going, and I heard a few songs, but I spent that night drinking and being far too rowdy to have been allowed in anyway )

But yeah. Waits is the shite.
To me Waits is more important than Reed, although Lou has been important to me specially in his Velvet albums and now become even more important when I have just listened all his solos. I think it was 1989 when I bought Swordfishtrombones and after that I have been really big fan. My fav albums are Swordfishtrombones, Rain Dogs, Franks, Bone Machine, Black Rider (I think this is his best), Alice/Blood, Real Gone and also the last Bad as Me. But also I love all his albums, even the seventies production.

Havenīt also never seen him (he was nineties in Stockholm, I think after that heīs never been in Europe). I really wish he come someday even some near country to me!
Old 09.04.2014, 12:04 AM   #165
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
yo, you two should start a new thread
oh and it looks like the last time he was in Europe was 2004, there's a Berlin set on Dime.

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2014, 07:00 AM   #166
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
oh and it looks like the last time he was in Europe was 2004, there's a Berlin set on Dime.
Oh, I didnīt know. Well anyway he performed too far away from me.
Old 09.05.2014, 08:32 PM   #167
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

Tom Waits, Nov 2004 Setlist

This was the one unless I fucked the link up. After reading the comments, I kinda want to remove my eyeballs with spoons.
Old 09.10.2014, 01:08 PM   #168
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
EARTH - PRIMITIVE AND DEADLY

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2014, 09:00 PM   #169
chocolate_ladyland
children of satan

chocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asses

chocolate_ladyland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2014, 12:35 AM   #170
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
^
cool sleeve! what is it?

Mono's new albums will be the greatest releases of this year:

Rays of Darkness is the first MONO album in 15 years to feature no orchestral instruments whatsoever. That fact alone is remarkable given the band's reputation for sweeping, dramatic instrumentals that recall Oscar-worthy film scores. Instead, Rays of Darkness more closely resembles a jet engine taking off inside a small, crowded auditorium. It is MONO's blackest album ever, a collection of scorched riffs, doom rhythms, and an unexpected contribution from post-hardcore pioneer Tetsu Fukagawa of Envy. The album ends with the smoldering wreckage of distorted guitars and ominous drones playing out a eulogy to the days when MONO shot blinding rays of light through seemingly endless darkness.

The Last Dawn is the first of these two companion albums, and is the "lighter" of the two, thematically and melodically. It contains undoubtedly some of MONO's strongest songs ever, drawing on an array of influences from minimalist film score to vintage shoegaze. It is MONO at their absolute purest, executing an uncanny, unspoken dialogue with each other without the dozens of stringed instruments that have been so prominent throughout their catalog. The songs are also noticeably more efficient – there hasn't been a MONO full-length record to fit on a single slab of vinyl since 2003's One Step More And You Die – and the album benefits immeasurably from this streamlined approach. MONO have always been masters of telling compelling stories without words. But now they've proven they can do it without frills, too.

here's a teaser video, and there's two songs already on their soundcloud

Old 09.26.2014, 07:34 AM   #171
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
This is also coming soon:
Lou Reed: Hassled in april
http://www.levykauppax.fi/artist/ree..._in_april/#2lp
This is the greatest let them eat vinyl-release I have! Covers are good work, vinyls are beautiful blue & sound quality is great. There isnīt again very much information (for example band members are missing), but all the information is correct. In Reed liveīs this is also one of the greatest, lot better than Rock`n Roll Animal or Lou Reed Live. Naturally itīs quite related album to Live-Take No Prisoners (both were recorded inside a month), but this hasnīt got those long talking sessions.
Old 09.29.2014, 01:44 PM   #172
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
cant wait for this. out in a week

Old 09.29.2014, 02:07 PM   #173
_tunic_
invito al cielo

wow, that's a very fine singer indeed. I'm listening to this clip now, it's as if I'm listening to some guy from the sixties like Tim Buckley. He was on my "might be interesting to see live in November"list, now he's on my "will almost definitively see this"list

Old 09.29.2014, 07:51 PM   #174
foreverasskiss
Banned

foreverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's asses
their not out yet: but im pretty sure the releases of Bob Dylan bootleg series vol. 11( great christmas gift), Kayne, and the new Melvins will be pretty good( <<<this might or might not be all that, but still the only rock band i get psyched about, whether seeing them live or new album...... though that dwindled years ago excluding SY, which is sad). i hope. not excited about anything else besides havin kinky sex.
foreverasskiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2014, 01:39 AM   #175
Bal
the end of the ugly

Quote:
wow, that's a very fine singer indeed. I'm listening to this clip now, it's as if I'm listening to some guy from the sixties like Tim Buckley. He was on my "might be interesting to see live in November"list, now he's on my "will almost definitively see this"list

Steve Gunn is my absolute favourite right now. And live he seems to be even better than on record.

Old 09.30.2014, 02:38 AM   #176
sirki
bad moon rising

sirki kicks all y'all's assessirki kicks all y'all's assessirki kicks all y'all's assessirki kicks all y'all's assessirki kicks all y'all's assessirki kicks all y'all's assessirki kicks all y'all's assessirki kicks all y'all's assessirki kicks all y'all's assessirki kicks all y'all's assessirki kicks all y'all's asses
Steve Gunn is really really good. Been listening to 'Time Off' a lot lately. Can't wait for the vinyl of 'Way Out Weather' to arrive sometime next week ...
sirki is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2014, 11:40 PM   #177
chocolate_ladyland
children of satan

chocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asses

this 1000000x. What a year for music

Old 10.06.2014, 05:27 AM   #178
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate_ladyland

this 1000000x. What a year for music

People, please, can't you just simply write down the name of the artist and the album title beside the album artwork?

Is that really that difficult?

I know that this is the (btw, brilliant) new Flying Lotus, but other folks here might not.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.08.2014, 02:44 PM   #179
chocolate_ladyland
children of satan

Iceage - Plowing into the Field of Love
Probably my favorite guitar band right now. Unbelievable stuff and really consistent (including the VAR releases). They aren't afraid to do something different and really put their own mark on the post-punk sound.

Old 10.08.2014, 06:16 PM   #180
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate_ladyland

They aren't afraid to do something different and really put their own mark on the post-punk sound.

I'm pretty sure there's a paradox there. Maybe they aren't afraid to do something different and really put their own mark on the neo-post-punk sound. Not much of an innovation on their band's name, certainly...

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth