Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Brick (Praise For a Great Film!)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.27.2006, 03:53 PM   #1
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
My friend suggested i rent this movie so this weekend I did and I love it. Its such an interesting movie.

Brick is a film noir movie but first what's interesting about it is that it's set in modern times. All the character are teenagers but they act and talk like adults.No dumb teen slang.

The plot, characters and dialogue throughout the movie are really intense.The story is about this guy Brendan(junior in high school) who gets a call from his ex-girlfriend Emily (whom he still deeply cares for) that she's in trouble.He find her dead a day later and the movie is about him searching out what happened. To find out he has to infiltrate the drug culture of his town and discovers a piles of lies, corruption and distrust on his way to find the truth.

The soundtrack to the movie is also very chilling and leaves a great effect making you feel for the main character's (brendan) pain about losing his one devotion in life.

The movie is called Brick in reference to a brick of heroin which in the movie is mysteriously taken which cause even further problems.

The movie takes a lot of great turns and also has some funny points in it.Like when The drug dealer still living with a 50s style mother who's oblivious to her son.

I don't want to give too much away.It's got a great twist ending that I'm sure you'll all enjoy

So how many of you saw it? what'd you'd think of it?

If you haven't seen it I highly reccomend it
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.27.2006, 03:59 PM   #2
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
oh i saw the trailer in new york last year and then on a recent dvd

last year i had to pick between birck & tsosi & i picked the south african film which was great.

but now i think i'm going to rent it yes, though it looks a little bit over the top.

i didnt read your post because it seems to have spoilers. spoiler!! :P
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.27.2006, 04:02 PM   #3
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
no i made sure not to give any away for new people.All i was talking about in the film was just the basic plot nothing beyond that really.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.27.2006, 04:18 PM   #4
thewall91
children of satan

thewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's asses
I didn't really like it at all. The fact that they all acted and spoke like adults took away any credibility that the way-off plot had. Maybe that's the point of the noir genre but I didn't feel like it translated well; the crossover into teen movie didn't work for me. There were some pretty laughable parts in it though so it wasn't totally unenjoyable. Just my take. I probably should have seen tsotsi instead
thewall91 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.27.2006, 04:32 PM   #5
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
it was okay.

saw it way back when it came out
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.27.2006, 04:46 PM   #6
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall91
I didn't really like it at all. The fact that they all acted and spoke like adults took away any credibility that the way-off plot had. Maybe that's the point of the noir genre but I didn't feel like it translated well; the crossover into teen movie didn't work for me. There were some pretty laughable parts in it though so it wasn't totally unenjoyable. Just my take. I probably should have seen tsotsi instead

similar reviews did that at the time

but in video, i'll check it out-- i watch movies daily, but no tv for me. so i'm always looking & looking...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.27.2006, 06:44 PM   #7
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
I didn't care for it.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.27.2006, 06:46 PM   #8
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
I rented it, but haven't watched it yet.
Alex's Trip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.27.2006, 06:54 PM   #9
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
I rented it, but haven't watched it yet.

Go watch...oh I don't know...Legally Blonde instead. I watched it again last night when it was on TV. Found it to be as good as ever.

Brick tries too hard. It made me cringe too many times, just the dialogue, and the adult-like posing. Didn't sit well with me.

I can't even remember the last time I saw a movie that I hadn't already seen before. The last five that I watched were ones that I have seen many times (Legally Blonde, Stroszek, The Exorcist, American Psycho, and Dumb & Dumber).

- Sebastian Bach

Old 11.27.2006, 07:02 PM   #10
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxinterior
Go watch...oh I don't know...Legally Blonde instead. I watched it again last night when it was on TV. Found it to be as good as ever.

Brick tries too hard. It made me cringe too many times, just the dialogue, and the adult-like posing. Didn't sit well with me.

I can't even remember the last time I saw a movie that I hadn't already seen before. The last five that I watched were ones that I have seen many times (Legally Blonde, Stroszek, The Exorcist, American Psycho, and Dumb & Dumber).

i love you.

but yeah, this movie is kinda eh
watching it after having 9 vodka-redbulls did not help either
Old 11.27.2006, 07:35 PM   #11
luxinterior
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptowonderdruginvogue
i love you.

but yeah, this movie is kinda eh
watching it after having 9 vodka-redbulls did not help either

Did you puke?

- Sebastian Bach

Old 11.27.2006, 08:23 PM   #12
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Oh Reese Witherspoon...

Poor Felicity Huffman got cheated out of an Oscar...
Alex's Trip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.28.2006, 12:42 AM   #13
Richard Pryor on Fire
100%

Richard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's asses
I thought Brick was amazing, the kids talking all serious was nice, it was done for style and it wasn't supposed to seem realistic it was amazing. It's one of the best movies I've seen in a while, I bought it on dvd as a matter of fact.

http://pissingaway.blogspot.com/
Richard Pryor on Fire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.28.2006, 02:56 AM   #14
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

Quote:
Did you puke?
nope
i was just really hyper and bored

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth