Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Kim Gordon's memoir Girl in a Band: 10 things we learned
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.02.2015, 05:47 PM   #1
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.theguardian.com/music/mus...band-10-things
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2015, 06:51 PM   #2
halgreen
stalker

halgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asses
spoiler alerts
halgreen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2015, 03:43 PM   #3
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.stereogum.com/1733304/wha...nchises/essay/
Old 02.04.2015, 03:46 PM   #4
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

The last song on The Eternal is “Massage The History,” the only song Gordon admits is about her marriage. “It has the line ’I dreamed’ in it, maybe because I was dreaming of the first record we ever made. It was before I found out what the dark cloud following Thurston around consisted of, but I already felt it.” On the song, Gordon sings, “Here’s wishing you were with me/ Here’s wishing we could massage history.” Having detected a downward slope in the marriage, Gordon chalked it up to normal relationship valleys, saying also that, “when a marriage ends … little things you never noticed before practically make your head split open … I was aware of his unhappiness, but I made excuses, too. I had my doubts about our relationship, but I pushed them under, reasoning that every long-term relationship has its pitfalls.” Her hope was evident in the song, which now plays like the dying gasp of Sonic Youth’s career.
Old 02.04.2015, 05:05 PM   #5
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
“During rehearsal, and all that week, I remember Thurston making a point of telling the band he didn’t want to perform this or that Sonic Youth song. It suddenly hit me that certain songs he wanted to leave out were about her.”

Dang
Old 02.05.2015, 12:58 AM   #6
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Which is totally understandable. While I'm a fan of Kim the musician (Sonic Youth would not be the band they are without her), I could more or less care less about her as a person. By her own account, she was aware of this affair for a long time before she decided it was best for them to split. I can understand her disrespect and ill-emotions toward his actions. I can't understand, nor appreciate, the fact that she could care less about tarnishing the legacy (one mostly full of music, and not the sort of "behind the scenes VH1 Special gossip I expect with Hole and Motely Crue) of something that was quite beautiful for a long while. I view Thurston's actions as being normal (they are). I suppose the emotions she's expressing are normal, too. I'm just not a fan of that shit. Their business is not the world's business.

And seriously..."he threw a stapler and I was scared". OMFG give me a break. Bitching NOW about some shit that happened nearly 30 years ago. Tacky, tacky, tasteless.

Lifetime movie in the making.
Old 02.05.2015, 06:15 AM   #7
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
"I don't pay attention to what my favorite artists do outside of music. If I did, I'd just hate all of them" - - < heard a friend say that once, + I couldn't, especially at my current age, agree more.
Old 02.05.2015, 06:49 AM   #8
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
“Tom had moved across the country to escape her.” This move may or may not have been the catalyst for O’Rourke’s departure from Sonic Youth in 2005; O’Rourke set his sights for Japan around that time. One year later, Prinz and Moore started a publishing company together, Ecstatic Peace Library."

whaaa? so Prinz stands behind Jim leaving SY as well? unbelievable! if that is true, that means she is to blame for everything bad that happened with SY!?

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2015, 09:03 AM   #9
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
yep. she was married to some rich rich super rich fuck and had an affair with O'Rourke.
Old 02.05.2015, 09:08 AM   #10
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
"I don't pay attention to what my favorite artists do outside of music. If I did, I'd just hate all of them" - - < heard a friend say that once, + I couldn't, especially at my current age, agree more.

haha.
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2015, 10:00 AM   #11
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

My wife put it well. she said "well, then Thurston turned out to be a straight poser." and I asked what she meant and she said that Sonic Youth and it's members have always stood for authenticity and earnestness and a desire to be as un-fake as possible but only a fucking liar poser would pretend nothing is wrong for over a year after his wife caught him cheating and continue with the cheating. a real man would have kept his dick in his pants, explained to his wife that he wanted a divorce, and then go on with his life.

I said "Dang."
Old 02.05.2015, 10:06 AM   #12
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight

whaaa? so Prinz stands behind Jim leaving SY as well? unbelievable! if that is true, that means she is to blame for everything bad that happened with SY!?
Thurston Moore is to blame, not Eva Prinz. She wasn't in the band to start with, he was.
Old 02.05.2015, 10:31 AM   #13
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

yep.
Old 02.05.2015, 10:36 AM   #14
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Old 02.05.2015, 10:41 AM   #15
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death

Um... OK?

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2015, 10:51 AM   #16
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

that is too cool
Old 02.05.2015, 10:57 AM   #17
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death

cronenberg!!!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2015, 11:17 AM   #18
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
It's weird, I remember when Demolished Thoughts came out, thinking it sounded like a young man in love had written it. You could tell he was completely besotted. That impression became more amplified to me as soon as the separation was announced later that same year...
Old 02.05.2015, 11:27 AM   #19
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
sad story, feel bad for all sides.

not to be a dick but -
eva yoko fucking prinz REMOVED JIM then split sy up.

yoko at least made cool music. but noone needs any more shitty beat poetry.

we could have used jim on every post nurse record though.

t-dogs mind was clouded by the judgement of his roving wang, and maybe also all the money that eva must have got from divorcing that rich dude. pity she couldnt settle for that instead of fucking up sy too.

anyway, what matters is that kim is happy.
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2015, 01:32 PM   #20
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
Which is totally understandable. While I'm a fan of Kim the musician (Sonic Youth would not be the band they are without her), I could more or less care less about her as a person. By her own account, she was aware of this affair for a long time before she decided it was best for them to split. I can understand her disrespect and ill-emotions toward his actions. I can't understand, nor appreciate, the fact that she could care less about tarnishing the legacy (one mostly full of music, and not the sort of "behind the scenes VH1 Special gossip I expect with Hole and Motely Crue) of something that was quite beautiful for a long while. I view Thurston's actions as being normal (they are). I suppose the emotions she's expressing are normal, too. I'm just not a fan of that shit. Their business is not the world's business.

And seriously..."he threw a stapler and I was scared". OMFG give me a break. Bitching NOW about some shit that happened nearly 30 years ago. Tacky, tacky, tasteless.

Lifetime movie in the making.

I'm inclined to agree. Whilst what Thurston did just smacks of mid-life crisis at least he's pretty much kept schtum about the whole thing. Kim isn't doing anyone any favours writing a book about the whole thing.

However, me being the stupendous hypocrite I am, I'll be reading it.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth