Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café II
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.13.2013, 06:41 AM   #881
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
hey Sev! i know you and i don't converse that much or anything but i was just wanted to know what are your top 15 hip hop albums? top 15, 20, or 25. don't matter really. just looking for some classic new shit i haven't heard.

both louder and NR have pitched in.

that new Killiah Priest album is psychedelic to the bone!!! if i wasn't some kind of responsible adult i would go crusin for some country ga shrooms.

I was supposed to put a list together like a year and a half ago when louder did his. I'm still thinking about it. I doubt I'd have much on there that was new to you, because many of my faves are classics from the 90s and early 2000s.

I'll send you a message though or something.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2013, 09:34 AM   #882
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Wow, I just bought the reissue of Ready to Die, replacement copies of Midnight Marauders & Liquid Swords, AND Sun Rises in the East by Jeru the Damaja while picking up my 5 dollar promotional copy of the Body/Head "Coming Apart" album for just over $20.00 with tax.

I feel like I must have done something illegal. The record store may have, but I consider myself clean.

Sometimes you just gotta live in the '90s, if only for a drive home. I feel satisfied.
some of the greatest of all-time albums (hip-hop wise.. haven't heard that new K Gordon yet).
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2013, 09:36 AM   #883
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Yeezus' EPIC rant @ Pusha's album listening party last night (WATCH THIS YOU BASTARDS! ) - https://youtube.com/watch?v=szM0WPWt_8o

hype for Pusha's album just increased 200%. WOW.
Pitchfork just called it a "classic" rant.. are they lurking this thread? if so, please review Nostalgic 64. haha.
Old 09.13.2013, 09:41 AM   #884
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
hey Sev! i know you and i don't converse that much or anything but i was just wanted to know what are your top 15 hip hop albums? top 15, 20, or 25. don't matter really. just looking for some classic new shit i haven't heard.

both louder and NR have pitched in.

that new Killiah Priest album is psychedelic to the bone!!! if i wasn't some kind of responsible adult i would go crusin for some country ga shrooms.
my list would be slightly different now. for instance i tend to prefer late-era Kanye now. and i'd probably have Good Kid M.a.a.d City thrown somewhere there too.
Old 09.13.2013, 01:12 PM   #885
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
my list would be slightly different now. for instance i tend to prefer late-era Kanye now. and i'd probably have Good Kid M.a.a.d City thrown somewhere there too.

I'm sure my list is diff too. I'd prob make a diff list each year haha.
Old 09.13.2013, 09:12 PM   #886
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
yeah, believe it or not. Graduation and MBDTF is up there for me. Yeezus is of course pretty low. ha.

Ok, in all honesty, do you need/ want an ordered list of my personal favorites, made from the present with the present in mind, or do you want a definitive all time thing? So, probably zero 2013 albums, and a fair amount of classics, with an oddball here and there?

Because I'm gonna give it to you straight: I will go nuts over the latter, and probably miss actual work time for the former.

Can I just shoot you an unordered list of the first albums that I think of when I think of hip hop? That I might be able to have to you by tomorrow.

I take lists so seriously that I haven't actually completed one in ten years. That's why I have the same ten favorite bands now as I did when I was in my 20's.

You want this in a pm or what? Don't write checks your ass can't cash, Asskiss.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2013, 10:04 PM   #887
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Top 15 albums all-time (in ranking order by overall musical and cultural impact, not necessarily reflects my preference or taste, I don't even like many of these artists but their impact is undeniable)

(1) Dr Dre "The Chronic"
(2) Run DMC "Sugar Hill Gang"
(3) Tupac "Me Against the World"
(4) LL Kool J "Bigger and Deffer"
(5)Tribe Called Quest "Midnight Marauders"
(6) Geto Boys "The Geto Boys"
(7) Nelly "Country Grammar"
(8) Fugees "The Score"
(9) NWA "Str8 Outta Compton"
(10) Wu-Tang "Thirty-Six Chambers"
(11) Beastie Boys "Licensed to Ill"
(12) Outkasts "Aquemini"
(13) Kanye West "The College Drop Out"
(14) Jay Z "Vol 2.. Hard Knock Life"
(15) Nas "Illmatic"

explanations forth-coming..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2013, 10:35 PM   #888
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
(1) Dr Dre "The Chronic"

I think this album had the biggest impact on music, culture, and two entire generations of Americans, its almost like the Beatles of rap music. The 1990s might not have existed with The Chronic and Nirvana's Nevermind, its the Hendrix and Beatles of the 1990s.

Quote:
(2) Run DMC "Sugar Hill Gang"

There might not be rap music with out this, its only ranking bellow The Chronic in terms of over-all impact.

Quote:
(3) Tupac "Me Against the World"

Not necessarily Tupac's greatest album, neither one of the greatest albums on its own merits musically, but this is Tupac's first popular album, it solidified his impact as perhaps the most widely known rapper, I'm talking worldwide. You could ask BILLIONS of people and they will all unanimously know these three artists: (1) Michael Jackson (2) Bob Marley and (3) Tupac.

Quote:
(4) LL Kool J "Bigger and Deffer"

I don't particularly dig LL, but this record put him into the mainstream American narrative. Rap music was elevated out of a street scene to the night club scene. This is critical evolution of rap music, it puts rap music on the radio in a way much different than Run DMC did. Run DMC put street music on the radio, LL Cool J put out pop-rap music. The "hearthrob" rapper originated with him, and his career had surprisingly longevity for what seems to be such a shallow artist.
Quote:
(5)Tribe Called Quest "Midnight Marauders"

Tribe invented their own genre of rap music, they made it fresh, and there have been dozens of inspired groups after the fact, but these were the first, and this is their most widely recognized albums (my favorite is still The Love Movement)

Quote:
(6) Geto Boys "The Geto Boys"

These guys were more notorious than renowned, but they are the pioneers of what would become 1990s gangsta rap.
Quote:
(7) Nelly "Country Grammar"

I'm giving late 1990s Nelly the credit for making the Down South sound become the dominant sound in rap music for the past 15 years running. Where ever rappers come from, the beats and the flow reflect that Down South. Geto Boys usually get this credit, but I don't think Down South rap took off until the late 1990s early 2000s..

Quote:
(8) Fugees "The Score"
This might be the most substantive and intellectual of rap groups to dominate the mainstream radio. This album is noticeably subversive, and yet it spawned top-40 radio hits? Lauren Hill paved the way for the Beyonce era, and she did without having to shake her ass, rather by speaking her mind. Too bad it got to her head. I think Fugees paved the way for Roots/Hieroglyhics/Outkast/Black Eyed Peas era in the early 2000s when for a brief window, actual HIP-HOP rather than rap took over the radio. I think that was actually a better era than the 80s or 90s, even if those aren't my favorite groups. Intelligent and well-crafted hip-hop had heavy rotation and radio airplay. It ain't been revived either..

Quote:
(9) NWA "Str8 Outta Compton"

Eazy-E had lunch at the White House with George Bush just a few short years after the Reagan White House tried to shut N.W.A down, for this record alone. Seriously, can you think of a more subversive, obscene, and not-give-a-fuck superstar groups of any kind of music ever? N.W.A. was like the sports team that has a new technique nobody knows about yet, and nobody is prepared to compete against yet, so they catch everybody slipping way off the radar. That record changed the world, even though it is essentially NOT for the mainstream, never for the radio.

Quote:
(10) Wu-Tang "Thirty-Six Chambers"

East-coast rap almost died until the Wu revived it. Further, these guys spawned a hundred rappers just in their OWN FUCKING GROUP, let alone the magnitude of their cultural and social impact. Plus, they are actually hip hop with a rap tinted flavor. Just gritty enough for low-lifes, just intelligent and substantive for art-rap freaks, just mainstream enough for everybody else, all at the same time?

Quote:
(11) Beastie Boys "Licensed to Ill"

Turns out this was the biggest selling rap album of the entire 1980s. That stands on its own to make this list, let alone the multi-genre impact of these guys. They changed rap, pop, AND rock music in epic ways.

Quote:
(12) Outkasts "Aquemini"

Outkast have evolved into becoming part of the fabric of America, for better or worse. They were honestly way to ecclectic, almost esoteric, for the mainstream, but America was charmed. This album had the radio singles which first introduced America to Outkast, its the honeymoon.

Quote:
(13) Kanye West "The College Drop Out"

Jesus Walks was pimping so many elements it was like a perfect poker hand. It persuaded the conscious hip hop people. It had the Christians interested. It had the party crowd dancing. It was all over the radio, so peoples' mama was digging it. This is how Kanye became the dominant name of the 2000s

Quote:
(14) Jay Z "Vol 2.. Hard Knock Life"

Same with Kanye, this record introduced Jay-Z to the mainstream American audience, and they embraced him in a pendulum swing from the whole Tupac/West Coast era of the 1990s. Between Jay-Z and Nelly, the rap world completely reoriented its radar from polar west to polar east.

Quote:
(15) Nas "Illmatic"

This is essentially the Run DMC record of the 1990s. Just about EVERYBODY in rap music was inspired by this album, just about everybody who listens to rap music has this album in rotation. Makes the top-15 easily, though just underground to stay at the bottom of America's radar.
explanations forth-coming..[/quote]

Old 09.13.2013, 10:36 PM   #889
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
i like yr list Such. "36 chambers", "Licenced to Ill", and "Aquemini" would be higher on my list, because of party reasons.

Nelly?? really? thats seems strange associated with you. never heard that album just the singles. don't like that dude.

remember, its not my list by taste, its my list by cultural and musical impact. See my explanation about Nelly above. I could have just as easily put in 36 Mafia but I think Nelly had more of a club popularity. He is the LL Kool J of the 1990s

Old 09.13.2013, 11:00 PM   #890
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Outkast just represents everything good aboug GA. heat in august, humidity, thunderstorms, horniness, culture, soul, roots and reaching out, dirty strip clubs, true outkast differentiators.
Agree completely, I can't express my love for Outkast enough. They're like the polar opposite of Kanye West

Old 09.14.2013, 12:17 AM   #891
louder
invito al cielo

"TMZ reports that Kanye West has been charged with the misdemeanors of criminal battery and attempted grand theft for his alleged attack against a paparazzo at Los Angeles' LAX airport on July 19. His arraignment is scheduled for October 10 (a little under two weeks before his tour with Kendrick Lamar kicks off); if convicted, he faces a maximum of 1 year in jail".

ugh, so much bullshit. i saw the vid, Kanye didn't even hit him. that Paparazzo bitch just wants the $$$!
Old 09.14.2013, 12:22 AM   #892
louder
invito al cielo

Drake's performance on Jimmy Fallon was AMAZING - http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon....o-much/n40731/

so hyped for the album of the year!!
Old 09.14.2013, 12:58 AM   #893
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Drake's performance on Jimmy Fallon was AMAZING - http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon....o-much/n40731/

so hyped for the album of the year!!

We already discussed this, Killah Priest shit on everybody else this year, and I'm seriously all the more feeling like may the best rap album of all time. I keep listening to it, every day, and it only gets deeper and more engaging every time. Its like, I don't WANT to know all the words yet, I'm have an esoteric experience discovering them random moments at a time.

Quote:
ok. top ten of the top off ..... this is a quirky quick off the top off my head.

1. Wu Tang- 36 chambers (Black Knights "Every Night is a Black Knight") There, fixed that for ya, Northstar is the shit, a westcoast killah priest)

2. Public Enemy- It takes a million to hold us back
3. GZA- Liquid Swords
4. Beastie Boys-Paul's Boutique/Licensed toi Ill...(cheated)
5. ODB - return of the 36 chambers
6. Outkast- ATLiens
7.Outkast- Aquemini
8. Kayne- My beautiful dark twisted fantasy/ Graduation. (cheated again)
9. Nas-Illmatic
10. Raekwon- only built 4 cuban linx

Do you listen to anything from the West Coast at all?

Old 09.14.2013, 01:02 AM   #894
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
no. i guess NWA is ok. but, NO!!

Yet you like Outkast, which is very close to a lot of grooving west coast rap. interesting. We have similar tastes, yet not.

Old 09.14.2013, 01:07 AM   #895
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
^^^ yeah i was thinkng about that. there's that vibe and all but, NO. maybe some NWA.

Which is even wilder, because NWA is particularly westcost music. Well, wait, which NWA, Straight Outta Compton NWA or EFIL4ZAGGIN?

The earlier albums are more 80s East Coast style of rapping, but with 80s westcoast beats, but the 1990s NWA is straight up classic west-coast beats and flow, EFIL4ZAGGIN inspired about most of the west-coast beats from 1991-1995

Old 09.14.2013, 01:18 AM   #896
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
^^^yeah but they had that southern slang that i took a ear too.

That is just how we talk in Hood LA. In fact, I have a noticeable drawl which I picked up in part from my grandparents (who are all from the South) and in part from LA. The most common question I get asked like on a daily basis is, "Where are you from? Where is that accent from?"

Old 09.14.2013, 01:40 AM   #897
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
i don't believe you have a drawl Such.

i'm bout as redneck talking as they come.

did they all head to LA or Harlem? Chicago, maybe.

Yes, I indeed have a very noticeable drawl, and also prefer to word "y'all" in the Missouri tradition. My folks come from Missouri, Texas, West Virgina, and North Dakota and a grew up in Baptist community transplanted straight out of Appalachia, which networked with all kinds of other Appalachian Baptists so I just essentially grew up around the drawl and picked it up.. Not EVERYBODY in LA has a drawl, but there are enough to have reenforced my own which I picked up from being so close to my grandparents (all four have/had strong drawl even after living in California for the past 50 years)

Old 09.14.2013, 11:16 AM   #898
louder
invito al cielo

"Wu-Tang Forever" remix featuring the Wu themselves coming out soon. sweet!
Old 09.14.2013, 11:18 AM   #899
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
ok. top ten of the top off ..... this is a quirky quick off the top off my head.

1. Wu Tang- 36 chambers
2. Public Enemy- It takes a million to hold us back
3. GZA- Liquid Swords
4. Beastie Boys-Paul's Boutique/Licensed toi Ill...(cheated)
5. ODB - return of the 36 chambers
6. Outkast- ATLiens
7.Outkast- Aquemini
8. Kayne- My beautiful dark twisted fantasy/ Graduation. (cheated again)
9. Nas-Illmatic
10. Raekwon- only built 4 cuban linx
cool list.

how do you feel about Check Your Head?
Old 09.14.2013, 02:31 PM   #900
louder
invito al cielo

yeah, i fuck with the Beasties. on the other hand, can't Eminem just go away?

i mean this video is pretty cool, but the song itself is just the worst thing i've heard all year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab9176Srb5Y

why do the masses love this guy so much? he's such a bore. it pisses me off when people call this bullshit "real hip-hop".. his voice makes me wanna throw up, and his bars are just as dumb as every grade C mainstream rapper (maybe even worse). MMLP2 is gonna sound more like Linkin Park than the Beastie Boys.
424344 45 46474855 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth