Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM   #47761
Severian
expwy. to yr skull

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Honestly what pissed me off is that I never said I was good at writing about music. I actually expressed a sincere disgust for the generic nature of my write-ups. I need re-read anything O write about music and think, "damn, that's good stuff!"

And I made that clear. I didn't defend my "music writing." I actually said NO ONE was defending it, and in about 3 seconds I'm going to mention (for the third time) that I actually used the word "hate" to express my feelings about things I wrote regarding Knxwledge. So... There's really no reason for anything more to be said. The fact that people are still making snide remarks just makes it seem like I'm surrounded by people who luxuriate in Internet "flame wars."
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM   #47762
Severian
expwy. to yr skull

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Genteel Death does, of course, seem to genuinely enjoy just talking shit and saying negative things without provocation and for no reason. He told me once that he didn't have a "problem with me" (wow, thanks so much for congratulating yourself by assuming that I care), and that he "just likes fucking with me" or some such.

All he had to do was plant a seed, and sit back and watch while others, with whom I've never had so much as a disagreement, practically line up to water the fucker for him.

Mortte, Soup Nazi, whoever else left all reason in their other pants and followed Genteel's lead... You lot are *never* this bloodthirsty. Nobody on SYG is, except for Mr. Death, who's just bored and never outgrew the impulse to point at people and laugh.

I like this board because very few people here get their kicks by shitting on others.

But I don't care if anyone thinks my writing is bad. Say it, if you must, and then shut up. And watch out for assholes who are just trying to stir the pot. Ugliness is ugliness, wherever it takes place. Fighting is stupid, and "ganging up" on people is shameful.

Now for fuck's sake, can we just talk about what we're listening to?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM   #47763
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest

[word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word]
dammit man... needs punctuation!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM   #47764
evollove
expwy. to yr skull

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses

Van Halen - Tokyo Dome Live in Concert (2015)

Original lineup. Technically proficient, morally odious people making thumping songs about fucking. Although there are important differences, it kept reminding me of Led Zep.

I'll give it to Eddie: his playing was/is massively influential. The wankery is mostly not for me, but millions choose to differ.

I wish I liked more than three songs. Seems like a fun band.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM   #47765
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
[IMG]Technically proficient, morally odious people making thumping songs about fucking.
i think the original meaning of the 40's slang term "rock'n'roll" was actually "fucking," and this music at its root was supposed to awaken all kinds of lower instincts, with pedophiles like jerry lee lewis and elvis presley among its earlier stars, but you're right, in the post-minor-threat era they're dinosaurs-- good for places like biker bars maybe.

wait, this is a 2015 album?

i'm gonna play it on spotify due to a case of terminal curiosity

ps- i'm in the first minute of it. starts very boring. sounds horrible. turning it off now.

pps- my wife just walked in and asked "what was that horrible music?" ha ha ha
Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM   #47766
evollove
expwy. to yr skull

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
pps- my wife just walked in and asked "what was that horrible music?" ha ha ha

And it's a DOUBLE album.

I take your point about rock=sex. And I suppose "Hot for Teacher" is an amusing twist. Just gets old. Or maybe I'm a prude.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM   #47767
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
And it's a DOUBLE album.

I take your point about rock=sex. And I suppose "Hot for Teacher" is an amusing twist. Just gets old. Or maybe I'm a prude.

ha ha ha maybe. and yeah it gets old when it's TOO low IQ

here's a funny writeup on that. it's one of the best things i've ever read on the dc music scene-- not because it's 100% correct but because of what it says about the evolution of "rock" in general. i've posted it here many times before but here it goes again:

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/a...on-the-killjoy

the author (i've met him in person) is a baby boomer. mckaye while technically born within boomer years was a sort of gen-x prophet--slightly ahead of his time. on the one hand the author is right about many things he says, on the other hand he's still worshipping rockstars like it's another era. their ideological split is also generational. of course that doesn't make mckaye less of a prude who deserves some of the hilarious criticism hurled at him. unraveling this ultimately irrelevant cultural dialectic turns out to be an entertaining exercise in the end though. have fun with it.

====

well, fuck, i love this album. people call it protopunk and velvet-underground influenced and that is true, but i can't help also hearing the doors all over it-- it's the keyboards and the blues beat in tracks like roadrunner and astral plane and old world and she cracked that make them sound like the happier cousins of the stooges a little bit... then the album changes into the children of european son or something. instant classic! lololol. (that was a good list of hackneyed expressions in that previous post.) but seriously a great album-- if it had been released when it was recorded i wonder if it would have been ignored or if it would have had a greater influence. we'll never know.
Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM   #47768
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
One of my favorites since the 70s, symbol-man. I "discovered" it about 2 years after it came out. I now have five distinct issues of it.
gmku is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM   #47769
stalker

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqLru6WvUyk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itG4Cpjd6CM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xhvTezdBCo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk0HvTplEfo

it is cold and as such I am in the mood for abstract electronic sounds. everyone listen to what I listen to because I am the greatest.

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old Yesterday, 09:57 PM   #47770
stalker

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
whether or not I necessarily agree with what severian says, and regardless of whether I actually like half of what he listens to, or gel with his writing style, this is all irrelevant because the guy obviously has a passion for music that runs a bit deeper than some of us and to shit on him for this reason purely is pretty ridiculous when he seems to be one of the few people with a desire to actually expand what he's listening to rather than harping on about exile on fucking main street like certain self righteous haemorrhoids on here

also mortte pucker yr cheeks cos yr anus is in for some sweet tongue axxion

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old Today, 12:51 AM   #47771
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Guest, have I said something bad to you or whatīs your problem?

The easiest thing is to think "there is Genteel who poisons all and everything else is just beautiful as flowers here". I think the whole SYG (maybe the whole internet) is full of strange attitudes and strange behaviour towards those who are not a part of that mode. I have met the same things here as Severian now did for the difference I didnīt have any friends who defense me like Severian has had.

I know I canīt write about the music like Severian just because my English skills. But can somebody finally tell me why it seem to be "cooler" to listen and write about new music than old music? I havenīt seen lots of writings about Exile, there are lots of great old music nobody has ever discussed here (itīs always the same Velvet, the Kinks, Bowie, Beefheart, Stooges, Modern Lovers & 76-79 punk & new wave are great). Have you all read some "What Sy-fan should listen and what not"-book?

I really have felt almost all of my time here some people seem to be better than the others and those who are not should not be here. And I think Severian has always been in that "better" peopleīs group, this has been first time somebodies say something against him and then there is some guest who is really upset. And I think you will be glad because I am going to continue to be here, the naive myself.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
1889228923392379238623872388 2389
-->

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth