Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sonic Youth: The Beatles of Our Generation
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.10.2008, 04:39 PM   #41
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePuppetBoy
You mean in comparison to Red Krayola, Velvet Underground, the Monks, Beefheart......?

HELL YES in comparison to red krayola, beefheart, and the velvet underground they were fucking experimental in the utmost.

the velvet underground, as great and innovative as they were, had TWO sounds, droney dirge and dreamy floating rock.
Old 03.10.2008, 04:43 PM   #42
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
HELL YES in comparison to red krayola, beefheart, and the velvet underground they were fucking experimental in the utmost.

the velvet underground, as great and innovative as they were, had TWO sounds, droney dirge and dreamy floating rock.

Yeah, the Beatles' music was so varied. Helter Skelter is practically punk/metal, Revolution 9 is musique concrete.
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2008, 04:47 PM   #43
nature scene
100%

nature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnywinternoshow
I always think Ween sound a lot like a modern Beatles

I'm glad somebody else said what I was thinking. Both have great songwriting duos. Ween songs vary stylistically in the same way that Beatles songs did. However, I'd say the Beatles were a lot more influential than Ween is.

So in that aspect, I agree with the comparison of SY to the Beatles. Both are widely influential bands which pushed and melted the boundaries of rock, pop, and experimentalism and opened the ears of a generation.
nature scene is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2008, 05:00 PM   #44
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
and remember, the beatles broke up almost 40 years ago.

that's a LONG time in popular music terms, and an eternity in rock n roll terms
Old 03.10.2008, 05:03 PM   #45
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
The Beatles have been the most influential rock band.
Old 03.10.2008, 08:58 PM   #46
tasteinmen
bad moon rising

tasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's asses
People used to say Britney is the new Madonna, but that's gone out of the window.
tasteinmen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2008, 09:52 PM   #47
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
the statemen t the beatles of our generation" has less to do with the sound of their music than with their influence and wide ranging compositions. dumbasses.
Okay, to adjust my point, Beatles had a more top down influence while Sonic Youth have a more bottom up. In this way it would be easier to compare Sonic Youths influence with the Velvet Underground.

Also in today's self-conscious indie rock world, there is a lot of Sonic Youth backlash be it deserved or not. I wouldn't know if the Beatles had to deal with this but I would doubt it to SY's extent. I still know a number of people that hold my Sonic Youth enoyment against me.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2008, 09:03 AM   #48
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

swa(y) the voiced of reason? This IS a golden age!
Old 03.11.2008, 11:36 AM   #49
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
nirvana are nowhere near parallel the awesomeness of the stones.

The Stones? Awesome?

Are you and GMKU fucking by any chance?
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2008, 11:37 AM   #50
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Anyways I'd say Sonic Youth are the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Velvet Underground, The Stooges, T. Rex, Pink Floyd, and the Kinks all rolled up into one of our generation.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2008, 12:00 PM   #51
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Anyways I'd say Sonic Youth are the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Velvet Underground, The Stooges, T. Rex, Pink Floyd, and the Kinks all rolled up into one of our generation.

MAD REP!
Old 03.11.2008, 04:39 PM   #52
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature scene
However, I'd say the Beatles were a lot more influential than Ween is.

i fucking love this board!
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2008, 05:16 PM   #53
Lurker
invito al cielo

Haha, that's hilarious. How did I not spot that before.
Old 03.11.2008, 05:48 PM   #54
nature scene
100%

nature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard sucka
because no one ever reads my posts... I'd say.

me = captain obvious.
Old 03.11.2008, 06:09 PM   #55
Lurker
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature scene
because no one ever reads my posts... I'd say.

me = captain obvious.

No, I read it. It just didn't click how funny it was.
Old 03.11.2008, 06:13 PM   #56
nature scene
100%

With insights like that, I should be crowned Board Sage.
Old 03.11.2008, 06:15 PM   #57
Lurker
invito al cielo

Yes!
Old 03.12.2008, 09:50 AM   #58
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
remember when blur and oasis kept getting compared to the beatles and the stones? now that was funny!
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2008, 09:51 AM   #59
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBebs
remember when blur and oasis kept getting compared to the beatles and the stones? now that was funny!

hahahah! yeah! fucking shit ass Blur and fucking redundant and stupid Oasis!
Old 03.13.2008, 02:55 AM   #60
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
TBH I didn't think Blur were all that bad. Damon's voice irritates me sometimes but I really enjoy listening to Modern Life is Rubbish.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth