Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page What happened to all the rock gods?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.19.2008, 05:44 PM   #121
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I expect there's a 40+ year old chap reading this going, "Ah, I remember that. I hope that jumped up little twat doesn't think he's old enough to listen to Chris Rea. That's for people my age".

No, I'm not quite ready for Rea yet. That usually comes with a fascination for patio flooring. Dire Straits (and I must stress that it's just their first album I'm referring to here - although Making Movies isn't too shabby either) are more the feet up in front of a good episode of CSI, ignoring the telephone after nine o'clock, type of an affair.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2008, 08:29 PM   #122
viewtiful_alan
invito al cielo

viewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I think the shock of a lot of youth music is that the older generation simply don't get it. And you, my dear, clearly don't get Soulja Boy. Not that I do myself. I'd be surprised if anyone over 18 did. And that's why a lot of kids love it. Because it really, really pisses people older than them off. Maybe the big change since the late 70s is that by now people are expecting young people's music to be different from theirs.

I'll tell you one thing that pisses me off. Kids no more than 17 going on about fucking Clapton. I'd prescribe them all masses of gurners and a visit to Helter Skelter. Your teen years are the time to listen to music that is deeply regrettable in years to come. It's a time to wear clothes that you'll never be able to pull off in maturity. Look at the nu-ravers. I would look... actually, I'm fucking amazing at clothes, so let's assume the 'I' is someone other than me... 'I' would look fucking awful dressed like a nu-raver, because I'm not a lithe and slightly spotty, bad-haircutted 17-year-old.

To summarise - if the music you're listening to doesn't piss off your parents, you're doing something wrong.
Soulja boy doesn't piss off parents as much as it just annoys them because it is genuinley awful shit, its not making parents angry because they don't understand it, its making them mad because its repetitive and fucking annoying.
Bad music is bad music, what age you are doesn't make it good...
Why should I listen to regrettable music?

viewtiful_alan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2008, 08:31 PM   #123
viewtiful_alan
invito al cielo

viewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's asses
Well I'm done with this thread.

viewtiful_alan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2008, 09:08 PM   #124
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan
Soulja boy doesn't piss off parents as much as it just annoys them because it is genuinley awful shit, its not making parents angry because they don't understand it, its making them mad because its repetitive and fucking annoying.

I agree.
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2008, 04:44 AM   #125
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan

The thing is, parents since the invention of the teenager (which is a 20th-Century phenomenon, to a degree) have always dismissed what the kids like as 'repetitive' and 'annoying'. It's really splitting hairs to suggest that there's some sort of 'quality' to youth music. I'm not saying there inherently is or isn't any sense of quality, but kids will enjoy what kids want to enjoy.

When Cliff Richard first came on the pop scene, he was considered rebellious. Early Jazz wasn't understood by a great many of the older generation. 80s rave culture was often dismissed as 'repetitive nonsense' by parents. My parents still think hip-hop is a load of shouting. Elvis wasn't approved of for his hip-shaking. It doesn't really matter about the music itself, what's important to young people's music is that it seperates this generation from that.

This isn't an absolute separation, obviously - the idea of a (particular) individual teenager or parent who fulfills the stereotype entirely is a phantom.

Actually, maybe I should address the parents of this board. Would they agree with me that their kids listen to music that leaves them cold/ aggravates them?

Oh, and to the above - without having paid any attention to your tastes, I'm entirely certain that you listen to music, probably a majority of it, that I (and doubtless a few others on this board) think is 'genuinely shit'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2008, 04:45 AM   #126
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Fucking NIN! Easily one of this shittest things imaginable! I like it when my unverified, rash claims turn out to be true on the first post I find.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 07.20.2008, 04:56 AM   #127
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Blimey Glice, I call you to be my rock god, and you haven't even driven your first Rolls Royce into the nearest swimming pool. How much longer am I going to have to wait for that? *drums fingers impatiently on table*

Nine Inch Nails are about as much use as a limp erection, so I'm with the playa haters on this one.

I find myself getting annoyed when I see & hear some of the youth playing tinny bassline/r&b on their mobile phones. As you and demonrail say, this can only be a healthy thing - each young generation needs to have it's own music, culture etc that is defiantly theirs, and which stands as little danger as possible as being co-opted by the "normal" world. Funny to think that mindless violence was also heavily associated with the Teds in Britain, particuarly with their use of flick knives - a case of certain things repeating themselves within each generation?
Old 07.20.2008, 05:03 AM   #128
Glice
invito al cielo

I do wonder about the kids of record collecting parents though. I was lucky enough to have a proper Dad who hated everything I listened to on spec. I'm going to have a hard time pretending I'm annoyed if my offspring started listening to the (third of fourth) HHC revival.

My worst fear is raising a child that ends up listening to the Rolling Stones.

EDIT: incidentally, I found out recently that I can very much tolerate, and perhaps enjoy, up to one hour of music by the Stones.

Quote:
Old 07.20.2008, 05:10 AM   #129
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
My Mum and Dad didn't have huge musical collections, but they definitely got me into listening to music, my Mum with the Carpenters, my Dad with Pink Floyd (and my Stepdad with Led Zep). My Stepdad correctly surmised that the Sisters of Mercy were Rolling Stones retreads in a way, which was nothing to what he thought of me listening to the Buttholes etc all, ha ha. As I was saying to Cantanky a few days ago, my Mum actually liked the Buttholes (weird, eh?), but she HATED the Caspar & Peter Brotzmann album. My Dad thinks Masonna's taking the piss ("sounds like a fucking Hoover, Melly!), but likes Radiohead etc. I've not had the nerve to ever play the Melly parents (holds up wank card) Whitehouse...

Having kids and genuinely liking their music is most cool - I'm sure (being kids and all that) it would horrify them, though....I could babysit them for you and Mrs Glice and send them to sleep with my "I saw the band God loads of times, I did" anecdotes.
Old 07.20.2008, 05:24 AM   #130
Glice
invito al cielo

I think the missus is going to be the one who does all the 'turn that racket down'-ing, hopefully. I may play them nothing but Bach until they're 6, I think that's probably the best way to indoctrinate them so they grow up to be troubled virtuosos whose father sponges off them like there's no tomorrow.

Quote:
Old 07.20.2008, 05:31 AM   #131
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

You've got it worked out nicely. Get them to play really complicated stuff a la Dumitrescu - you could all go on tour and rip the joint up, in a respectfulo and polite manner - demonrail, sarramkrop and I will come to all of your performances, beered up and calling up for requests of "Freebird" and "Dancing Queen".

Ta for the PM response - totally understand about the hectic Glice life. Let us know when you're back up here, it'll be good to catch up again
Old 07.20.2008, 05:39 AM   #132
Glice
invito al cielo

'The Carter Family of neo-Spectralism', I can see the billboards now...

Quote:
Old 07.20.2008, 05:55 AM   #133
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I want my kids to wear KFC buckets on their heads and start shredding from a really early age. The fact that I want that though, means that what they should really do is listen to The Verve. Which is exactly why I won't have kids.
Old 07.20.2008, 06:11 AM   #134
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

^^ No, no, no! It has to be Girls Aloud or nothing for the kids? How else are they going to appreciate rampantly gay (in the "Glice definition" sense) tunes, and thus sneer at the Verve and all those dadrock groups?
Old 07.20.2008, 06:41 AM   #135
Glice
invito al cielo

Hmm. You make a good point. Maybe Bach for the first few years, then a crash course in gay, then I'll start playing them all the music I hate just about the time they start wanting to rebel...

Quote:
Old 07.20.2008, 06:47 AM   #136
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Play the Midnight Express at the birth. It'll introduce them to Moroder, and hopefully encourage them not to traffic drugs.
Old 07.20.2008, 06:50 AM   #137
Glice
invito al cielo

Why would I want to inhibit their growth by warding them off of a fine, and lucrative, career?

Quote:
Old 07.20.2008, 06:51 AM   #138
demonrail666
invito al cielo

You're sounding worryingly like a liberal there.
Old 07.20.2008, 06:52 AM   #139
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

Play them a Burroughs spoken word LP. Hearing his croaking voice talking about junkies being schlupped up will make them as straight edge as Ian McKaye.

Hmm, I think Ian MacKaye's a humorless cock. Scrap that idea then - play them "Sheela-Na-Gig" by PJ Harvey instead. Yes, that'll work.
Old 07.20.2008, 06:59 AM   #140
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
You're sounding worryingly like a liberal there.

I know this is the internet and all, and people run their mouths off all the time... but that was uncalled for, and you've hurt my feelings.

Quote:

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth