Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Mixtapes! do you make them, what do you think about them etc.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.04.2020, 08:10 AM   #21
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
In 2020, I've got you guys (and many other sources) to point me towards good music, and Spotify to enable me to listen to it all.

In 1990, I'd have 'whatever I can find from my friends' and 'whatever's on sale at JB Hi-Fi, where I can blow a full shift's pay on a shit record'.

Records were a lot cheaper back in those days, also there was mail order. Although i suppose if you're in Australia or wherever I imagine a lot of stuff would only be available as import, i.e. expensive.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2020, 10:34 AM   #22
NYCgaf16
stalker

NYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
A CD can fit 80 mins, the average tape 45 mins each side. 10 songs is about 30 mins or 35 mins. So there.
Actually the songs on the first mixtape were pretty long (i hlgave links to the songs you can count yrself). the second one has less songs becuz i didnt knew what songs to put there.
NYCgaf16 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2020, 11:12 AM   #23
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
another horrible curse before digital streaming was high dependence on local radio stations, which could be great if you lived in a great town, could be awful if you lived in a hick town, could disappear or change format, etc

e.g. the university of the district of columbia has a jazz studies program to this day, but up until 1997 they also ran a radio station, “jazz 90”, which was a beautiful thing because they wouldn’t just play great jazz, they would also tell stories and explain things and theory in a way you could not know before wikipedia and they played great great music and brought amazing guests. dc is still a jazz town.

then one day due to city budget cuts the university was forced to sell the fucking radio station! and dc got... cspan radio [insert suicide emoji]. could have been worse because a religious station wanted to buy the frequency. cspan is boring as fuck but makes sense in what’s basically a government town. still... huge loss.

now, thank fuck, not only do you not need radio per se, but you can listen to radio stations from around the world without having to operate a shit-ass shortwave set.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2020, 01:17 AM   #24
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
Totally offtopic, but reading about Bytor's tape mixing technique, it reminded me of this album that was made in the seventies by a German guy named Gόnter Schickert. The album is called Samtvogel and you can read about it here (see especially the last paragraph), and listen to it here on YT. Especially the last song (that lasts 20 minutes) is very cool, ultra-trippy krautrock [edit: it's even on bandcamp]

Thanks for sharing the Gόnter Schickert album. I’ve listened to it three times since you posted BandCamp link and I find it fantastic!

And very cool approach to making your sisters mix......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
The thing about mixtapes is you never really knew if the songs you selected would fit on the tape. Then you would end up with either minutes of silence at the end or a song that had the end chopped off.

This caused me aggravation when I was younger and eventually led to my technique/mix being live. Even when keeping track of song lengths, you can’t always have it work out perfect. But when you end with thunderstorms, mandible chatter or whatever, fading out or abrupt endings are okay......and sometimes preferred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
In 1990, I'd have 'whatever I can find from my friends' and 'whatever's on sale at JB Hi-Fi, where I can blow a full shift's pay on a shit record'.

Way back then and even today, this was why mixtapes were so important. Receiving a mixtape from someone from another city or somewhere around the world, being exposed to local music and bands you would otherwise never hear about: remixes, demos or alternate takes, live versions or a unreleased track not available everywhere......that’s the power of a mixtape!
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2020, 06:53 PM   #25
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Since actual physical parties/events might not be thing for a while and because I wanted to ward off the daily blues, I decided to create a few playlists representative of the type of stuff I'd play during my events. Not exactly mixtapes in the conservative sense of the term, but similar in spirit. If anyone's interested: Scary Monsters: Remote Comforts vol.1

It's pretty post-punky/gothy, but I tried to keep it as eclectic as possible.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2020, 12:05 AM   #26
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagon
Since actual physical parties/events might not be thing for a while and because I wanted to ward off the daily blues, I decided to create a few playlists representative of the type of stuff I'd play during my events. Not exactly mixtapes in the conservative sense of the term, but similar in spirit. If anyone's interested: Scary Monsters: Remote Comforts vol.1

It's pretty post-punky/gothy, but I tried to keep it as eclectic as possible.
thanks for this! im in quiet hours right now but i’ll attend this virtual party ASAP
Old 03.30.2020, 04:21 PM   #27
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
thanks for this! im in quiet hours right now but i’ll attend this virtual party ASAP

You're welcome. I uploaded Volume 2 yesterday if anyone's interested.

I also started doing a lo-fi podcast with a (probably) weekly theme. If anyone wants to hear me ramble about music, here's your chance. And don't mind my flub about the extent of Eno's involvement on "Souvlaki", I already put out a correction in the description

Anyway: Nocturnal Transmissions: Spring Is Upon Us

Old 03.31.2020, 04:54 AM   #28
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I also started doing a lo-fi podcast with a (probably) weekly theme. If anyone wants to hear me ramble about music, here's your chance. And don't mind my flub about the extent of Eno's involvement on "Souvlaki", I already put out a correction in the description

I’m finishing up Nocturnal Transmissions as I type. A nice variety and a few bands I’m unfamiliar with. The New York NoWave and the track before you played, Clan Of Xymox (?) were my favorites......looking forward to your themes!!!
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.31.2020, 10:15 PM   #29
Antagon
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
The New York NoWave and the track before you played, Clan Of Xymox (?) were my favorites......looking forward to your themes!!!

That would be "Homebled" by Ut and "This Side Of Nowhere" by Lydia Lunch, respectively. The Clan Of Xymox track was "After The Call".

Old 03.31.2020, 10:20 PM   #30
Antagon
invito al cielo

Now episode out today:

Nocturnal Transmissons: About Time

This time, there's a blend of different kinds of 90s Alternative Rock, a few gothy Post-Punk tracks, some Art-Pop, a minimal Wave track, a bit of Neo-Psychedelia and a dash of Avantgarde Jazz. Spent a few hours on the recording sessions in the very late night hours after quite a few lengthy phone conversations throughout the day, hence I sound a bit hoarse from time to time.

Old 04.04.2020, 11:29 AM   #31
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:

i am a little behind on this but listened to vol1 thursday evening and it was excellent! i really liked it because while every track is different they all fit into your aesthetic.

any chance to get a playlist? because it wasn’t available in the thing (web version)

will catch up with rest this weekend or as time allows

funny thing is, i have less time with quarantine than before...
Old 04.05.2020, 11:52 AM   #32
Antagon
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
any chance to get a playlist? because it wasn’t available in the thing (web version)

funny thing is, i have less time with quarantine than before...

Sure thing (song titles listed first):

1 Chrysanthθmes - Oberkampf

2 Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun - Trance To The Sun

3 Skyscraper - The Grinning Plowman

4 Ostrich - Danielle Dax

5 Fats Terminal - Bone Orchard

6 The Yo Yo Man - Echo & The Bunnymen

7 Drop Dead/Celebration - Siouxsie & The Banshees

8 Camera Girl - Material Girls

9 Me, Myself & I - Dark Day

10 Around The Room - Blank Dogs

11 Gravesand - Cyan Revue

12 Black Juju - Lydia Lunch & Rowland S. Howard

Glad you liked it.

Old 04.05.2020, 07:45 PM   #33
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I dropped out of the analog lifestyle and use a Numark NS6. I haven't made a mix in about a year though. A minor mishap between four tracks of mixed sound at 35 minutes in is usually enough to trigger me into never letting anyone else listen to it.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2020, 04:34 PM   #34
Antagon
invito al cielo

Out now:
Nocturnal Transmissions: "Sounds Of The Big City"

This week's transmission is dedicated to the bustle, the hustle and the rumble of the big city. Get ready for an eclectic blend of Post-Punk, Funk, Mutant Disco, Jazz-Fusion, Trip Hop, Hip Hop, New Wave and a bit of 90s Alternative Rock.

Old 04.22.2020, 10:44 AM   #35
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Do virtual mixtapes count or does a cassette tape need to be involved? Years ago I made a virtual mixtape to a friend who turned 44. I set myself a number of rules:

—One song per each year of his life. The song had to have been released on that year, evidently.
—No repetition of artists (there's some slight cheating, though - see if you spot it).
—Each song had to be part of my physical collection and be absent from his.
—The sequence had to be wicked bitchen and suggest a natural flow, or a necessary break to cleanse the palate, or some kind of link/contrast - anyway this was kinda subjective , but there was a reason behind it.

It went like this:

00 — 1967 — Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels — "I'd Rather Go To Jail" (Rev Up: The Best Of Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels)
01 — 1968 — The Velvet Underground — "White Light/White Heat" (White Light/White Heat)
02 — 1969 — The Rolling Stones — "Monkey Man" (Let It Bleed)
03 — 1970 — The Stooges — "1970" (Fun House)
04 — 1971 — Can — "Mushroom" (Tago Mago)
05 — 1972 — Neu! — "Negativland" (Neu!)
06 — 1973 — Roxy Music — "Do The Strand" (For Your Pleasure)
07 — 1974 — Brian Eno — "Third Uncle" (Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy))
08 — 1975 — Patti Smith — "Break It Up" (Horses)
09 — 1976 — Friction [Peter Laughner] — "Don't Take Your Love Away (Take The Guitar Player For A Ride)
10 — 1977 — David Bowie — "Be My Wife" (Low)
11 — 1978 — Wire — "I Am The Fly" (Chairs Missing)
12 — 1979 — The Slits — "Instant Hit" (Cut)
13 — 1980 — The Only Ones — "Telescopic Love" (Darkness And Light: The Complete BBC Recordings)
14 — 1981 — Lester Bangs and the Delinquents — "Kill Him Again" (Jook Savages On The Brazos)
15 — 1982 — Richard Hell and the Voidoids — "Lowest Common Dominator" (Destiny Street)
16 — 1983 — R.E.M. — "Sitting Still" (Murmur)
17 — 1984 — The Verlaines — "Joed Out" (You're Just Too Obscure For Me...)
18 — 1985 — Johnny Thunders — "I Only Wrote This Song For You" (Que Sera Sera)
19 — 1986 — Prince and the Revolution — "I Wonder U" (Parade: Music From The Motion Picture 'Under The Cherry Moon')
20 — 1987 — Dinosaur Jr. — "Little Fury Things" (You're Living All Over Me)
21 — 1988 — Sonic Youth — "The Sprawl" (Daydream Nation)
22 — 1989 — The Vulgar Boatmen — "Drive Somewhere" (You And Your Sister)
23 — 1990 — Neil Young & Crazy Horse — "Farmer John" (Ragged Glory)
24 — 1991 — Matthew Sweet — "Divine Intervention" (Girlfriend)
25 — 1992 — Television — "Call Mr. Lee" (Television)
26 — 1993 — Barbara Manning and the San Francisco Seals — "Joed Out" (No Alternative)
27 — 1994 — Sugar — "Gee Angel" (File Under: Easy Listening)
28 — 1995 — Kevin Salem — "In A Whisper" (Soma City)
29 — 1996 — Tommy Keene — "If You're Getting Married Tonight" (Ten Years After)
30 — 1997 — Built To Spill — "Made-Up Dreams" (Perfect From Now On)
31 — 1998 — Spiritualized — "I Think I'm In Love" (Royal Albert Hall October 10 1997 Live)
32 — 1999 — The Spells — "Octaves Apart" (The Age Of Backwards E.P.)
33 — 2000 — Morphine — "Slow Numbers" (The Night)
34 — 2001 — Bob Dylan — "Sugar Baby" ("Love And Theft")
35 — 2002 — Jimmy Scott — "Jealous Guy" ('Chelsea Walls' Original Soundtrack)
36 — 2003 — Yo La Tengo — "Don't Have To Be So Sad" (Hear Music Volume 10: Reveal)
37 — 2004 — Wilco — "I'm A Wheel" (A Ghost Is Born)
38 — 2005 — Sleater-Kinney — "Entertain" (The Woods)
39 — 2006 — The Hold Steady — "Chips Ahoy!" (Boys And Girls In America)
40 — 2007 — Stephen Malkmus and the Million Dollar Bashers — "Ballad Of A Thin Man" ('I'm Not There' Original Soundtrack)
41 — 2008 — Cat Power — "Song To Bobby" (Jukebox)
42 — 2009 — St. Vincent — "Marrow" (Actor)
43 — 2010 — Spoon — "Trouble Comes Running" (Transference)
44 — 2011 — Wild Flag — "Glass Tambourine" ("Future Crimes" b/w "Glass Tambourine" 7")

Considering what I've learned in the subsequent nine years, perhaps today the list would be richer, less predictable... but all in all it came out pretty decent, I think. Comments are welcome.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2020, 11:01 AM   #36
NYCgaf16
stalker

NYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's asses
nice mixtape!
NYCgaf16 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2020, 08:01 AM   #37
Antagon
invito al cielo

A new podcast will be up tonight, will post it when it's on Mixcloud. This week's theme is "Collect Call" - a tribute to the telephone in musical pop-and-subculture.

Old 04.25.2020, 09:13 AM   #38
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
A new podcast will be up tonight, will post it when it's on Mixcloud. This week's theme is "Collect Call" - a tribute to the telephone in musical pop-and-subculture.
I will give you two recommendations

Telephone - un autre monde
Philippe Katerine - Telephone

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2020, 08:38 PM   #39
Antagon
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
I will give you two recommendations

Telephone - un autre monde
Philippe Katerine - Telephone

Thanks for the recommendations. I had the podcast pre-recorded already, so there's not much I could have changed. But I'm thinking about doing followups to certain themes in the future. Philippe Katerine certainly fits the bill (my choices were based on the song-content and song-titles) and if I do a follow-up, I'll make sure to include the song. Thanks again. Must spread some rep around, you know the drill...

Old 04.25.2020, 08:40 PM   #40
Antagon
invito al cielo

So, without further ado: Nocturnal Transmissions: Collect Call

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth