Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Last Gig You Went To And What Was It Like Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.10.2020, 04:07 AM   #361
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
One more Mering quote, because it's so damn good:

Quote:
You recorded a great version of Soft Machine's "A Certain Kind" for a single [TSN note: backed by a take on Fred Neil's "Everybody's Talkin'", which of course became one of Harry Nilsson's signature tunes]. Have you ever thought of doing a covers LP?

Oh wow! I love the cover song as a format. I would cover King Crimson, "Starless". That song - unbelievable. I would cover the Lemon Twigs. I would cover Julia Holter. I think what she does is just incredibly smart and brave. Who would be my dream collaborator? Paul McCartney. Totally. I'd love to have some crazy jam with the boomers before they die. It would be amazing to meet Robert Wyatt and Robert Fripp. The prog thing is strong with me. I just really appreciate that drama.

So... OK BOOMER, MOTHERFUCKERS!

GADJI BERI BIMBA CLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDE E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2020, 05:23 AM   #362
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
“The prog thing is strong with me.“

Mad respect for that!

And thanks for the tip regarding the Soft Machine cover!
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2020, 10:00 AM   #363
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Took my wife to see Harry Connick Jr. play the songs of Cole Porter with a Jazz octet. super awesome. Great time.
Old 03.12.2020, 10:31 AM   #364
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Took my wife to see Harry Connick Jr. play the songs of Cole Porter with a Jazz octet. super awesome. Great time.

In Houston? How did I miss that??

My wife and I have seen Harry, even got to meet him after the show. He and his band are so talented.
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2020, 12:13 PM   #365
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
In Houston? How did I miss that??

My wife and I have seen Harry, even got to meet him after the show. He and his band are so talented.

At Sarofim Hall of the Hobby Center for Performing Arts. Brought by the Society for the Performing Arts Houston.

Man it was a great show. He never backed away from the JAZZ baby, even when singing the prettiest Cole porter ballads. Great band, great drummer, and just super fucking fun, in this trying time.
Old 06.19.2020, 06:22 AM   #366
Diesel
stalker

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
The last gig I went to was around December time. Southern Spain; working class Leather production town, Ubrique. In what can only be described as a building the size of a shipping container, situated on the outskirts of town, up a mountain in a long since derelict abandoned area. This building unit being the last surviving establishment in a row of about six other buildings. There is no toilet and no structure to build taps.

The band was a punk tribute to Eskorbuto. At one point my partners friend took to the mic flanked by her two pitbulls, joint in hand and got a one woman mosh pit going in the middle of the ten strong crowd inside. I'd previously saw her perform flamenco style on the X factor to a good degree of critical success. Surrealistic. There was copious amounts of weed flowing throughout the day in all of the bars in the town centre thanks to Spains' liberated view on drugs, and lazy cops.

10/10 cuppers.
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.13.2020, 11:52 PM   #367
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
I'm currently watching the A2B2 Night of Fire e-festival, livestreaming mostly hyperpop (currently Alice Gas) on Twitch. Andy Morin, Laura Les, and Dorian Electra are the big headliners, with Sewerslvt and Ariel Pink also being on the bill.
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2020, 04:27 AM   #368
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
The last gig I went to took place a month ago. Mit, the name of the artist.

I had spent the week checking the venue website to see if it was to be another cancelled show (Whispering Sons/Porridge Radio/Big Joanie had during that time morphed into Whispering Sons/Vox Low, then into Zombie Zombie/Vox Low/Cyril Cyril - and I was no longer interested - before being cancelled).

I was surprised to see that the Mit gig could occur and went to see what it'd be like.
It was windy by the sea. There weren't that many people out there at the doors. Mit was not the headliners, and they ain't big names either.
Eventually we came in, there seemed to be more staff behind the doors than audience.
I was the first to enter the place, and felt it seemed so small with the pit stacked with black folding chairs. Mask on my face, I sat down. The ranked scarcely filled in.
The show was good to me, except that I was sitting, and that it restricted my moving to the music. Mit played a new song that felt really good. As there were not too many people in the audience, the clapping and cheering sounded a bit hollow. Plus she wasn't the headliner.
When the headliner came in, it was more cheerful, even though I couldn't grasp why, since it quickly turned out that the blokes on stage, those wearing a guitar, had no idea what rhythm and melody meant. I turned my attention to a guy in the row before me. He was attempting some headbanging moves while being seated like the rest of us. I didn't like at all the music, but wasn't that pissed 'cause I had liked Mit.
This was her first show in quite a while. She felt it was odd too.
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
161718 19
-->

All content 2006 Sonic Youth