Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Famous Dead Rockstars
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.30.2009, 07:59 PM   #1
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Who of all the famous dead rockstars do you think would've made the greatest contribution to music had they not died when they did?

I was going to do a poll but I'm sure I would've missed someone key. So ...
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2009, 08:13 PM   #2
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Hard to point out one but I'd probobly go with Bob Marley

Reggae music has been put into every other kind of genre of modern music in some capacity since his death, be it rock or hip-hop, or some other style.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2009, 08:22 PM   #3
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
He made his mark and was gone. I may be wrong, but reggae is reggae is reggae, not much diversity in sound (cue flaming by Suchfriends (and possibly others) in 3....2...1....)
Old 06.30.2009, 08:31 PM   #4
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Thinking about those that are still alive, Clapton, Macca, Page, Townsend, Jagger, Richards, Dylan, etc, none of them have really contributed much past the seventies, making me think it's unlikely that any of those that died so relatively early in their careers would've done that much of any interest. I'm not sure point I'm trying to make here, if any. Maybe that the death of someone like Lennon or even Hendrix was obviously a tragedy for him and those around him, but probably no great loss to music after that point.

That's obviously not taking into account post-60s figures like Ian Curtis, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Kurt Cobain, Dimebag Darrell, etc.
Old 06.30.2009, 08:32 PM   #5
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Buddy Holly?
Old 06.30.2009, 09:07 PM   #6
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
Coltrane, Hendrix, Curtis, D Boon, Sam Cooke, Jhonn Balance, Elliott Smith...basically a bunch of people that died when they were still producing great music and probably had a shit ton more worthwhile releases to give to the world.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2009, 10:12 PM   #7
Shifty Prophet
100%

Shifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's asses
Thing about Hendrix is that by all accounts (his included) he was really getting burned-out with his career. He wasn't happy with the majority of the records he put out and was hoping to go into another direction. of course, when you listen to his final recordings you can obviously tell he wasnt at the same place he was at for axis or electric ladyland. This new direction that he was heading, while perhaps in the end would have been cool, at the time and now, doesn't sound that good.
Shifty Prophet is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2009, 10:38 PM   #8
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty Prophet
Thing about Hendrix is that by all accounts (his included) he was really getting burned-out with his career. He wasn't happy with the majority of the records he put out and was hoping to go into another direction. of course, when you listen to his final recordings you can obviously tell he wasnt at the same place he was at for axis or electric ladyland. This new direction that he was heading, while perhaps in the end would have been cool, at the time and now, doesn't sound that good.

Really? "Machine Gun" on Band of Gypsies is a totally awesome foray into heaviness in my book. Hendrix had set some rather high standards for himself to top, but given the time to do it, he might have invented whole new genres of music.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 12:57 AM   #9
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
Hendrix going into a more free jazz direction/hooking up with Miles Davis would have been amazing. Worst case scenario would be if he turned into Santana or something.

Not a rockstar, but I really think Albert Ayler could have reached even greater heights.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 01:17 AM   #10
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
michael jackson
Old 07.01.2009, 01:57 AM   #11
viewtiful_alan
invito al cielo

viewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's asses
Biggie

viewtiful_alan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 03:04 AM   #12
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
He made his mark and was gone. reggae is reggae is reggae,

Bob Marley introduced regaee to America and that music like I said has influence both the rock genre and the hip-hop genre. Nobody can't deny that Bob Marley's music influenced bands like The Clash, and pretty much any other politically minded artist like Public Enemy. You say reagee is regaee is reggae. So many artists have taken elements of reggae music and incorporated them in rock and hip hop music. And have Bob Marley to thank for introducing them to that type of music. Certainly he's not the only one who was making that kind of music at the time but you can't deny that he introduced it to the wider world.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 04:11 AM   #13
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Bob Marley introduced regaee to America and that music like I said has influence both the rock genre and the hip-hop genre. Nobody can't deny that Bob Marley's music influenced bands like The Clash, and pretty much any other politically minded artist like Public Enemy. You say reagee is regaee is reggae. So many artists have taken elements of reggae music and incorporated them in rock and hip hop music. And have Bob Marley to thank for introducing them to that type of music. Certainly he's not the only one who was making that kind of music at the time but you can't deny that he introduced it to the wider world.

I'd agree with his impact and influence but I'm not sure if he'd have made any great contribution in later years. He'd have more likely been the same kind of figurehead that he is now, only a living rather than dead one.
Old 07.01.2009, 09:40 AM   #14
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses

Old 07.01.2009, 09:52 AM   #15
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses

deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 10:16 AM   #16
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
is steve perry dead?

ha ha ha!
Old 07.01.2009, 10:19 AM   #17
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
My answers

Old 07.01.2009, 11:30 AM   #18
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
is steve perry dead?

ha ha ha!
if only....
Old 07.01.2009, 11:33 AM   #19
Zombie Robot
expwy. to yr skull

Zombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's asses
Cobain
Hendrix
Cash
Coltrane
Stayley
Lennon
Presley
Mercury
Joplin
Easy E
Curtis
Harrison
Boone
Carptenter
Crash
Nico
Sargent

soooo many
Zombie Robot is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 01:07 PM   #20
sarramkrop

Kurt Cobain
There were hints that Nico could have turned good again before she died, who knows?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth