Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page The Eternal Streaming Review
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.28.2009, 05:46 PM   #161
Neongod
the destroyed room

Neongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
impressions from one listen: it's MUCH better than RR, and massage the history is as good as anything they've done in the last 15 years, it's a spine tingler for sure. some songs have some cheesey lyrical & vocal moments (a problem that has plagued all their records in the 00s), but over all a pretty decent LP.

It's probably only my third favorite but it's definitely the most important song on the album. I liken it to a status report...it's where they are as a band right now.

(mundane comparison but that's all I've got right now)
Old 04.28.2009, 05:50 PM   #162
harlock_jds
little trouble girl

harlock_jds is a splendid one to beholdharlock_jds is a splendid one to beholdharlock_jds is a splendid one to beholdharlock_jds is a splendid one to beholdharlock_jds is a splendid one to beholdharlock_jds is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer
To all who say it's better than RR, I have to ask, why. What does The Eternal do that is better/different than RR?

Sound like they got their balls back? serously i've kinda liked the past few albums of laid back phishyness but it's nice to hear them rock again.

I no longer have to go and put in KYI or old live boots to hear the SY i grew up with. Old fart SY was cool in it's own way butthis new burst of energy is great.
harlock_jds is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 05:53 PM   #163
rockst_
empty page

rockst_ has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Malibu gas station fuckin blows my mind
rockst_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 05:53 PM   #164
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
how is the quality of the leak?
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 05:55 PM   #165
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by automatic bzooty

Very good.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 05:55 PM   #166
Neongod
the destroyed room

Neongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant future
Quote:
To all who say it's better than RR, I have to ask, why. What does The Eternal do that is better/different than RR?

It has depth and atmosphere. Pink Steam and Jams are the only ones from RR that come to mind at the moment that had those traits.

RR to me, while not their worst album by any stretch, sounded like they had abandoned their sound. It was more of a step back...I think that's my point. The Eternal is where Nurse should have gone. RR was a detour (tho an entertaining one).

I'm not trying to start a war...music is and always will be subjective. However, I hope I've answered your question. My opinion is by no means fact.
Old 04.28.2009, 05:56 PM   #167
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
Quote:
impressions from one listen: it's MUCH better than RR, and massage the history is as good as anything they've done in the last 15 years, it's a spine tingler for sure. some songs have some cheesey lyrical & vocal moments (a problem that has plagued all their records in the 00s), but over all a pretty decent LP.

A favorable review from T&B, that should tell you something.
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 05:58 PM   #168
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Also I'd say Malibu is great just because of that little guitar solo. I was wondering what song that was from in the montage, and when I first heard Malibu I was like this is cool, but when that solo came on and I realized that it was indeed the same song I was pleased. That song seems pretty different and great for Sonic Youth, or maybe it's my Sonic Nurse love showing through.

Rocking
Noise
Songs are better from a composition POV- chord progressions, melodies, structure, and rhythms just seem better
Old 04.28.2009, 05:58 PM   #169
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by automatic bzooty

The stream was 160kbps, but the web rip is @ 128kbps.
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 06:04 PM   #170
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

Quote:

I don't find much of a problem with some of the cheese. In Sonic past a song with cheesy lyrics was usually a throwaway song, but on The Eternal it seems to work. Thurston gets away with "mission control to brain police" because the song is so good. If it was on another SY album it would be on the worst song on the album. Not the case here.
Old 04.28.2009, 06:07 PM   #171
summer
stalker

summer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard sucka
Ugh I swear you all confuse me. They make one poppier album with Rather Ripped, and it's awful. And then they make one album in The Eternal which is "rockier" which.. might I add sounds like RR 2.0 except with their "balls" back.
I mean don't get me wrong The Eternal is not a bad record. But it isn't doing anything different from the two records before, really, so why is everyone so excited for it?
RR wasn't a step backward, it was a step forward. There's only so much you can do as a band. That noise in "What We Know"? I don't think I have ever heard anything so formulaic from them. It's like they're saying "Alright, we're Sonic Youth, we're supposed to be noisy, let's get out our book of how to make typical noise". I don't know it just bugs me how un-genuine it sounds.

summer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 06:07 PM   #172
Neongod
the destroyed room

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
I don't find much of a problem with some of the cheese. In Sonic past a song with cheesy lyrics was usually a throwaway song, but on The Eternal it seems to work. Thurston gets away with "mission control to brain police" because the song is so good. If it was on another SY album it would be on the worst song on the album. Not the case here.

I think another contributing factor is that they can identify the "cheese" now and they keep it to a minimum. I don't feel any of the songs overstay their welcome.
Old 04.28.2009, 06:14 PM   #173
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

Quote:
Ugh I swear you all confuse me. They make one poppier album with Rather Ripped, and it's awful. And then they make one album in The Eternal which is "rockier" which.. might I add sounds like RR 2.0 except with their "balls" back.
I mean don't get me wrong The Eternal is not a bad record. But it isn't doing anything different from the two records before, really, so why is everyone so excited for it?
RR wasn't a step backward, it was a step forward. There's only so much you can do as a band. That noise in "What We Know"? I don't think I have ever heard anything so formulaic from them. It's like they're saying "Alright, we're Sonic Youth, we're supposed to be noisy, let's get out our book of how to make typical noise". I don't know it just bugs me how un-genuine it sounds.

Yr completely ignoring my arguments. I know you can go ooh, ahhh SY type noise to this album, but if you actually listen to the MUSIC under it all, it is very new.
Old 04.28.2009, 06:20 PM   #174
amerikangod
invito al cielo

amerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

What it does that is better: Everything.

What it does that is different:
-With the exception of 'Pink Steam' and 'Jams Run Free,' 'Rather Ripped' offered few well-written songs. Everything is well-written on 'The Eternal.' All of the songs know how to start with awesome effect, just how long an idea should last before moving on, and even when using the Sonic Youth formula, know how to do it and create a fresh product versus a nostalgic one.
-The only song on 'Rather Ripped' that introduced any new musical ideas was 'Do You Believe in Rapture?' Plenty of songs do this on 'The Eternal.'
-Rather Ripped was stripped of noise. There were very few interesting sonic textures. 'The Eternal' is ripe with them.
-'Rather Ripped' tried to be fun, with occassional success. 'The Eternal is effortlessly successful.
-'Rather Ripped' (and 'Sonic Nurse' before it) offered plenty of boring moments. 'The Eternal' doesn't have a single moment that bores me upon the first few listens.

You also noted that it takes time to create the classics. This is hardly true. 'Sister' was written quickly, and in my opinion it's the best Sonic Youth has to offer.

amerikangod is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 06:20 PM   #175
nancykitten
children of satan

nancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's asses
rather ripped vs. the eternal - surely to be an epic feud

nancykitten is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 06:26 PM   #176
summer
stalker

summer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerikangod
You also noted that it takes time to create the classics. This is hardly true. 'Sister' was written quickly, and in my opinion it's the best Sonic Youth has to offer.
Someone else said this, not me. I don't believe that's true, doesn't matter how quickly music is written as long as it's good, Sister is an obvious example. Maybe The Eternal won't be boring after a while. 'Massage the History' was better on second listen.

summer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 06:26 PM   #177
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by marleypumpkin
The stream was 160kbps, but the web rip is @ 128kbps.

I am intrigued guys

PRETTY INTRIGUED
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 06:27 PM   #178
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
the trouble with RR wasn't that it was poppy, EJST&NS was poppy and great, the problem with RR was that it sounded like duran duran or the killers, boring and normal sounding, none of the peculiarities, reflectiveness or dark tranquility one would hope for with an SY record. those qualities are apparent on this record, particularly in the last track. maybe if RR was the first SY record you heard then your expectations and emotional ties to their music are different but for those of us who have been listening to SY for 15, 20 or 25 years then there are certain reasons we have grown to love them, and it seemed with RR they abandoned all those qualities in a single album, only to replace them with things most of us dislike.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 06:32 PM   #179
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mil_pl
yup, kinda.
Yeah, not the whole song, but the "when she's faaar away" etc. parts of the song.
Old 04.28.2009, 06:34 PM   #180
mysonichaircut
children of satan

mysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
It's like they're saying "Alright, we're Sonic Youth, we're supposed to be noisy, let's get out our book of how to make typical noise". I don't know it just bugs me how un-genuine it sounds.

yes, its obviously somehow cleverly devised. "what we know" sounds like the basic design of any rock song. but dont forget - they werent able to write a well thought-out song back in the 80's - and that was a good thing then. now they are professionals, and thats how they sound - can be boring, can be impressing. "do you belive in rapture" is stroke of genius concerning the structure - and so is "what we know"

and: there are also few more songs on the album.
mysonichaircut is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth