Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The tread about how awesome Chrome's "Half Machine Lip Moves" is
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.04.2009, 06:19 PM   #21
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Law of Ruins is definitely one of my favorite albums ever. Interesting.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2009, 07:14 PM   #22
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Well if it makes you feel better, I did give them a go on several occasions. I hope this wont be one extra reason that will appear on your suicide letter, if what you wrote on that other thread turns out to be true.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2009, 08:03 PM   #23
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Touch and Go did a cd of Half Machine and Alien Soundtracks together. Easily their two best albums, so well worth grabbing if found. Half Machine was definitely one of the first wave of life changing albums for me in the mid '80s along with Bad Moon Rising and Gone Fishin' by Flipper. "TV As Eyes" is such a cool update of the Stooges song with appropriate Reagan era paranoia-psych thrown in. A shame Creed and Edge had the falling out that led to each of them taking the Chrome name to places that don't measure in the slightest to where they went together.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.05.2009, 07:28 AM   #24
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
It should be noted that Chrome's post Helios Creed material is pretty sucky new-wavey stuff, and I don't know there new stuff at all, so I'd be careful when judging them by their myspace tracks (don't actually know what they have on there). The Chrome everyone's geeking out over here is the Chrome who recorded this, and this. With that in mind, comparing them to Gary Numan is... well just don't OK?

I googled around to see if anyone else on the net mentioned Chrome and Gary Numan in the same breath, and sure enough, I found this:

"Chrome worked from a similar Weltanschauung to Gary Numan's Tubeway Army days -- future horror bio-techno nightmare machine sex robot genocide sci-fi mind control corporate cult ecstacy doom atrocity exhibition Philip K.Dick William S. Burroughs Theodore Sturgeon Clockwork Orange Brave New World ad nauseum -- but musically they spelled it out in a much hollower-sounding, processed guitar-laden, fuzz-mired lower-fi way, which only adds to the sinisteria of it -- like receiving radio broadcasts from that same horrorshow future through an old, cracked, not particularly reliable radio. Tubeway Army meets Hawkind circa "Space Ritual" meets Simply Saucer meets "Hotwire My Heart"-era Crime. But entirely original and their own all the same"
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.05.2009, 07:31 AM   #25
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
And someone else is quoted as saying: "I was a big fan of Tubeway Army (Gary Numan) at the time,which is a good reference point,but Chrome were like their cooler,weirder,older brothers".
Old 10.05.2009, 07:48 AM   #26
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
OK, you've caught me out there I guess. Admittedly, the only Gary Numan I know, and thus the reference point I was using, is Cars.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.05.2009, 08:04 AM   #27
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
OK, you've caught me out there I guess. Admittedly, the only Gary Numan I know, and thus the reference point I was using, is Cars.

It's amazing to think a bunch of guys in San Francisco, California, had roughly the same ideas for a sound and were highly influenced by stuff to that of a guy in Hammersmith, London.
Old 10.05.2009, 09:44 AM   #28
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Well I don't know about influenced, considering they released their debuts in the same year. If Gary's early stuff does have the same sound though then that would be a remarkable coincidence.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.05.2009, 09:50 AM   #29
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
I checked out the band's MySpace page. What I heard didn't appeal to me. In 1979 Gary Numan released "Replicas"(with Tubeway Army) and "The Pleasure Principle". You could arguably lump Chrome and Gary Numan together as they both mixed synths and guitars into their sounds. Plus they both had a fascination with science fiction.

Numan is much more clinical and reserved in his approach...Edge and Creed were way more visceral, and got to that turf a few years before Numan did anyway.
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.05.2009, 12:40 PM   #30
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

According to Chrome's Wikipedia entry, they were inspired by mid-70s punk rock, Hawkwind and Black Sabbath. One could pedantically argue Hawkwind beat them to it by seven years.
Old 10.05.2009, 12:53 PM   #31
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
i can't say that i'm too familiar w/ Hawkwind's stuff (yeah, I've heard "silver machine" a billion times but not much else), but to my ears Chrome is a lot edgier than anything Hawkwind did.

mid-70s punk rock eh? wiki needs to get better editors.
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.05.2009, 01:02 PM   #32
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Wikipedia does have a habit of misleading people.
Old 10.05.2009, 06:07 PM   #33
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
I hadnt heard the record in years since hearing that the butthole surfers looked to them as idols. No im remembering all the craziness and i like the taste! This record really is right up the alley for any SY fan, it should just be a given that everyone here knows them.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.06.2009, 08:20 AM   #34
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
I googled around to see if anyone else on the net mentioned Chrome and Gary Numan in the same breath, and sure enough, I found this:

"Chrome worked from a similar Weltanschauung to Gary Numan's Tubeway Army days -- future horror bio-techno nightmare machine sex robot genocide sci-fi mind control corporate cult ecstacy doom atrocity exhibition Philip K.Dick William S. Burroughs Theodore Sturgeon Clockwork Orange Brave New World ad nauseum -- but musically they spelled it out in a much hollower-sounding, processed guitar-laden, fuzz-mired lower-fi way, which only adds to the sinisteria of it -- like receiving radio broadcasts from that same horrorshow future through an old, cracked, not particularly reliable radio. Tubeway Army meets Hawkind circa "Space Ritual" meets Simply Saucer meets "Hotwire My Heart"-era Crime. But entirely original and their own all the same"

That's all fine and dandy, but the Chrome records I was referring to still don't sound like Gary Numan.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.06.2009, 11:01 AM   #35
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
z-z-Z-Z-ZZZZOMBIES!

Just listened to my entire Chrome collection this week. Gotta love them. I was playing Plants vs. Zombies while listening to them and it was the most suitable
Inhuman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.07.2009, 08:04 AM   #36
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
thre isnt one chroe or helios record i dont like/love, wierd ass space punk with actually amazing musicianship for the most part, a rarity. one of my long tme favorit bands.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth