Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page What's up with band's that have Myspace pages?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.15.2006, 07:42 PM   #1
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

EyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's asses
I've been to Butthole Surfers, Meat Puppets, Mong Hang, etc. Are any of them actually on these sites?? I seriously doubt it. It seems like all the myspace pages are just fan pages, and all these people write stuff like " You are one of my biggest influences!! blah blah " Like they're actually gonna read it or even know the site exists.
EyeballGrowth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2006, 07:50 PM   #2
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I think to some extent most of them have permission from the band, they have to in order to have the songs up, but obviously some of the sites are fan-made or illegal or whatever. The ones you mentioned have been up for quite a while, so they almost certainly have permission. I've seen some where the artists are actually the ones who go on.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2006, 08:34 PM   #3
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i think most of the band pages i've seen on myspace are run by the artists themselves. although, i only tend to check out the myspace pages of new or current bands. why bother with the pages of bands that split up?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2006, 08:40 PM   #4
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Alot of bands actually have the Myspace address in the booklet of their albums now. it's a free website, why not. Alot of them are actually run by the labels, though, not necessarly the band.
Old 07.15.2006, 11:51 PM   #5
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

EyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
Alot of them are actually run by the labels, though, not necessarly the band.

That's what i suspected
Old 07.15.2006, 11:51 PM   #6
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
although, i only tend to check out the myspace pages of new or current bands. why bother with the pages of bands that split up?

why bother with myspace period?
Old 07.15.2006, 11:57 PM   #7
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Tour dates, easy access to songs, updates, and information about the band if you've never heard of them before. If you already have a myspace, it's way easier than going to each band's individual site.
Old 07.16.2006, 01:40 AM   #8
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Why? Because everyone else is on there.

It'd be a pretty bad career decision to avoid that extremely viable way of promotion.

I'm not a myspace fan though. I think personal accounts to talk to people you don't know, or to talk to people you do know, and post pics of yourself etc, and be false, is a waste of time. But then I think, without them, there'd be no need for band myspaces either, therefore missing out on free band promotion.
Old 07.16.2006, 01:58 AM   #9
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

Contrary to what I at first thought, they do not automatically assign 200 random Black Eyed Peas fans to your list upon creating an account. It is a good way to keep in touch with people. I finally gave in and got one, and I still only have 6 people on my friend thing. So I have no problem with it anymore.
Old 07.16.2006, 06:45 AM   #10
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Bands that are dead or probably would never have a myspace (shellac..) .. those are fake.

The rest are real. Mong Hang's is probably real.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2006, 07:16 AM   #11
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeballGrowth
why bother with myspace period?

to hear the music of bands i haven't heard yet, of course.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2006, 11:40 AM   #12
noisemachine
100%

noisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, as people said before, the myspace pages of the bigger bands are run and set up by the labels. A lot of them will even say something like "this page is run by the label ... the band doesnt use or run this site (or something like that)" just to let the people leaving messages for the band know that they are probably wasting their time, but people do it anyways.

noisemachine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2006, 11:49 AM   #13
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
people are beginning to think that because of sites like myspace, the term "underground music" no longer has any relevancy, because people from all over the world can check out the music, whereas before the internet, it had to be word from the streets

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2006, 12:22 AM   #14
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
well what's more underground than that? it takes quite a bit to let the world know about your tiny slice of the net.
Old 07.17.2006, 12:40 AM   #15
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
SY have a myspace page

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...dID=315 45506
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2006, 12:50 AM   #16
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePuppetBoy
people are beginning to think that because of sites like myspace, the term "underground music" no longer has any relevancy, because people from all over the world can check out the music, whereas before the internet, it had to be word from the streets

it still is word from the streets, just these streets involve bulletin boards and emails, no different just quicker and kids today don't get the attitude that was around 15 years ago, they were born with these things ready to enter a virtual world, where as those older generations were not.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2006, 02:06 AM   #17
sellouteater
the end of the ugly

sellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard sucka
I FUCKING HATE MYSAPCE. i HATE TOM. I HOPE HE GOES BANKRUPT. MYSPACE WILL DIE A SLOW PAINFUL DEATH.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth