Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Mighty Baseball Thread?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.08.2016, 10:57 AM   #1
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Why is there no mighty baseball thread?

I know a lot of people (specifically those ungrateful snot-nosed kids with their video games) think baseball is "boring," but it was THE sport in my home growing up. It was the only sport my nerd ass academic parents followed, and the only I played that they watched.

It's been an exciting year for the MLB. Some long time underdogs are shining, some interesting trades are taking place. Does no one care, or wish to talk about it?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2016, 11:14 AM   #2
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i think krastian, if you can find him, liked baseball
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2016, 04:46 PM   #3
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i think krastian, if you can find him, liked baseball

Well... that's something.

Anyway, GO M'S! And, conversely, GO RED SOX!

I'll take an Angels upset in AL West as a second choice if the M's continue to fizzle.

I have to support the Cubs in NL Central... it's a family thing.
NL East is all Nationals

And fuck everyone else especially the Yanks and Rangers!

*drops mic, silent crowd*
Old 07.08.2016, 04:47 PM   #4
Severian
invito al cielo

Best thing about the New York Skankeys is HOV wearing their bitchass hat.
Old 07.08.2016, 04:55 PM   #5
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i went to the orioles... camden park? once.

watery overpriced beer and too many "waves" for no particular reason

sorry i have nothing else to contribute

summer in baltimore was nice though
Old 07.08.2016, 06:10 PM   #6
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
I'm a big MLB (Astros) fan! I've attended more MLB games than NFL/NBA combined. Astros were horrid over first month and a half of the season. By the middle of May, the Astros were 11 games behind the Texas Rangers. Today, the Astros are only 6.5 games behind Texas and just one game out of the Wild Card.

I would welcome some MLB discussion.
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2016, 06:17 PM   #7
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
nobody follows baseball and i live in Dodgers country so obviously i have nothing to contribute

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2016, 09:12 PM   #8
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
I'm a big MLB (Astros) fan! I've attended more MLB games than NFL/NBA combined. Astros were horrid over first month and a half of the season. By the middle of May, the Astros were 11 games behind the Texas Rangers. Today, the Astros are only 6.5 games behind Texas and just one game out of the Wild Card.

I would welcome some MLB discussion.

I was initially happy to hear that the Astros were coming to the AL West, because I figured, hey, at least the M's can beat SOMEONE in the division. Then the Astros clobbered the hell out of the M's in 2015, and I was embarrassed as hell.

M's had an excellent start to the season, but now they're barely breaking even. Goddamn shame is what it is.

Oakland consistently throws a wrench into the AL West standings.
Old 07.08.2016, 09:15 PM   #9
Severian
invito al cielo

I've also been to more MLB games than NFL/NBA and NHL games combined.

I've always been a baseball guy. I even watch Ken Burns' Baseball every few years. Like... for fun
Old 07.08.2016, 09:18 PM   #10
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Severian i would have never in a million years believe you to be a baseball fan. the ken burns thing waa really really good, did you see the PBS Jackie Robinson?

Old 07.09.2016, 12:38 AM   #11
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I was initially happy to hear that the Astros were coming to the AL West, because I figured, hey, at least the M's can beat SOMEONE in the division. Then the Astros clobbered the hell out of the M's in 2015, and I was embarrassed as hell.

M's had an excellent start to the season, but now they're barely breaking even. Goddamn shame is what it is.

Oakland consistently throws a wrench into the AL West standings.

I dreaded the Astros move to the American League. I was a NL Central Die-Hard, thoroughly enjoying the rivalry the Astros had with the Cardnials. However, when I first became an Astros fan in the late 70's / early 80's, the Astros were a staple of the NL West and staying up late to watch the ends of games between the Dodger and Giants were a way of life that oftentimes got me in trouble : ) So, I'm now enjoying life in the ALWest and so far, it hasn't been that tough.

I've had an eye on your M's ever since the Astros traded King Felix and a boatload of other players for Randy Johnson. I love the fact that most of the M's coaching staff are ex-Astros:

Scott Servais - Head Coach
Tim Bogar - Bench Coach
Casey Candele - First Base Coach
Mike Hspton (nails) - Pitching Coach

The Astros now have three players with at least 50 RBI before the All-Star Break:
Correa 54
Springer 51
Altuve 50 (lead off first 6-7 weeks of season)

Last time Astros had three players with 50+ RBI's at the All-Star Break was 2003:

Lance Berkman 59
Richard Hildalgo 50
Jeff Kent 50
Old 07.09.2016, 12:14 PM   #12
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
I dreaded the Astros move to the American League. I was a NL Central Die-Hard, thoroughly enjoying the rivalry the Astros had with the Cardnials. However, when I first became an Astros fan in the late 70's / early 80's, the Astros were a staple of the NL West and staying up late to watch the ends of games between the Dodger and Giants were a way of life that oftentimes got me in trouble : ) So, I'm now enjoying life in the ALWest and so far, it hasn't been that tough.

I've had an eye on your M's ever since the Astros traded King Felix and a boatload of other players for Randy Johnson. I love the fact that most of the M's coaching staff are ex-Astros:

Scott Servais - Head Coach
Tim Bogar - Bench Coach
Casey Candele - First Base Coach
Mike Hspton (nails) - Pitching Coach

The Astros now have three players with at least 50 RBI before the All-Star Break:
Correa 54
Springer 51
Altuve 50 (lead off first 6-7 weeks of season)

Last time Astros had three players with 50+ RBI's at the All-Star Break was 2003:

Lance Berkman 59
Richard Hildalgo 50
Jeff Kent 50

Well, the M's were just swept clean by the Astros yet again. Put up a good fight — after a time — on the 7th, once we snagged those 4 runs. But it's clear that the stars were not aligning for the M's, and the Astros just plain cleaned their clock.

I'm thinking we need to lose Lind, unfortunately. Hard data aside, he's still having a hard time not screwing up perfect, gift wrapped pitches right down the middle. If a hitter can't hit a beautiful pitch, it doesn't matter how fast his swing is, or how what his connection rate is.

I kinda hate that cold blooded "take him out back and put him out of his misery" approach to ball analysis that a lot of writers use, but if the guy keeps this up he's gotta go.

On to Kansas City.

Astros are looking good man.
Old 07.09.2016, 12:24 PM   #13
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Severian i would have never in a million years believe you to be a baseball fan. the ken burns thing waa really really good, did you see the PBS Jackie Robinson?

Yeah, I'm definitely a baseball fan. Not a hard-core type. I just love the game, and I love going to games. I love the history of the game. I've got a special connection to four teams across the country, and I root for those teams in their respective divisions, but I'm not one to watch a Giants/Diamondbacks game (two teams I have no love for whatsoever) just because it's on. But I definitely love the game.

I haven't seen Jackie Robinson yet. What did you think?
Old 07.11.2016, 02:52 AM   #14
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I'm thinking we need to lose Lind, unfortunately. Hard data aside, he's still having a hard time not screwing up perfect, gift wrapped pitches right down the middle. If a hitter can't hit a beautiful pitch, it doesn't matter how fast his swing is, or how what his connection rate is.

Astros are looking good man.

If your M's were to lose Lind, who would you like to see at 1st? Astros open at Seattle after the break, so I'll be watching for his "fast" swing. Astros outfielder, Carlos Gomez, usually swings too fast for my liking. His batting helmet usually falls off and he appears to have no balance......but those times he somehow gets everything to sync up - WOW - his shots are usually scalded off outfield walls.

I was listening to a baseball gambling podcast yesterday about first half trends. A unique wager in baseball is who wins the first 5 innings. Anyway, your M's had the 3rd highest winning percentage of all MLB teams through the first 5 innings.

Thanks for noticing my Astros. Currently the Astros are two full games behind Red Sox and Blue Jays for the final Wild Card slots. With the Texas Rangers losing today, Astros are now 5.5 games behind them.

Speaking of the Rangers:

Rangers will enter All-Star Break with largest division lead in team history. Previously, largest lead had been 5 games in 1999.

However, the last Rangers starter to be credited with a victory was Cole Hamels on June 28th. Since then, zippo.

Rangers 9-1 vs Astros, 45-34 vs all others.

Astros 46-32 vs others, 1-9 vs Rangers.
Old 07.11.2016, 04:51 PM   #15
Bytor Peltor
Banned

AL starting lineup for tomorrow nights All-Star Game in San Diego:

Old 07.11.2016, 04:53 PM   #16
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
i live in Dodgers country

what's a dodger

is that like a badger? or more like a prairie dog?
Old 07.11.2016, 06:20 PM   #17
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I am here!! Go O's!

Hopefully we can trade for a decent starting pitcher. We have been scouting Sonny Gray, but to get him we'll have to give up a ton.
Old 07.30.2016, 12:59 PM   #18
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

i need a translator

http://deadspin.com/nationals-turn-f...ory-1784576615
Old 07.30.2016, 03:14 PM   #19
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
what's a dodger

is that like a badger? or more like a prairie dog?
its a team that was really really good at baseball in the 1980s, since then? not so much.

Old 07.30.2016, 05:14 PM   #20
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
its a team
yes but what animal did they name themselves after

ive never seen a dodger and i live in the woods

is it like a jaywalker?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth