Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Throbbing Gristle (photos/short review)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.07.2010, 02:06 AM   #41
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I've used ''his'' in a very loose, clueless way.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.07.2010, 02:13 AM   #42
space
expwy. to yr skull

space kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's asses
I have no criticism of he(r) other than the choice of footware and those gawdawful stockings. they're far too orangey.

that said, sex-magic and transformation has always been he(r) gig. nothing new here really.

(s)he's, artistically, a genius; frankentits or not.
space is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.07.2010, 04:21 AM   #43
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
An example is how anti-transphobia posters/leaflets have started making a more regular appearance in, guess where, gay bars, where most of it found a natural habitat by having transgender issues forced to co-exist with homosexual issues.

There was a girl in one of my dykey circles who was recently 'outed' as transgender, and it was fascinating (and slightly disturbing) that a few of them simply couldn't deal with it. Not many, and no-one I'm close too, but still enough to make me worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.07.2010, 08:02 PM   #44
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by space
if Genesis didn't want people to wax on and on about whatever sexuality s/he's currently expressing, s/he wouldn't have made such a big deal of it (my same point about those gawdawful socks and shoes). so far, it seems to be working. how many times have people used the preferred 's/he' moniker in this thread?

Genesis has alway got off on this stuff. how many other "fanclubs" made near constant requests for their members to masturbate onto a bloody sigil? certainly not sonic youth (but that's never stopped me from masturbating to Kim).

ps: fucking christ, those SOCKS.

There's something very contradictory here, but I'm tired, and I can't quite put my finger on it.
Old 10.07.2010, 08:12 PM   #45
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
There was a girl in one of my dykey circles who was recently 'outed' as transgender, and it was fascinating (and slightly disturbing) that a few of them simply couldn't deal with it. Not many, and no-one I'm close too, but still enough to make me worry.

There are of course as many different types of lesbians as there are within any preference. However, I've definitely known some butch dykes to take the male emulation to some disgusting extremes, up to and including wife beating. We always want to think that "liberal" circles are going to be more open minded, but it is sadly often not the case.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.08.2010, 05:24 AM   #46
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I think it's a problem for heterosexuals to assume that merely fancying the same sex is synonymous with being liberal. There was a thing in some paper or other earlier this year about the 'surprise' that gay people would vote for the Tories (our right-wing party). The surprise to me was that people were expected to vote with a very antiquated stereotype of their sexuality. "Just because I stick my dick in men doesn't mean that I don't want those nasty brown people out of my country". I think Herr Death has had some run-ins with some far-right, Nazi-sympathising gays in London, so he can probably comment on this more than myself.

I don't think spouse-beating in bulldog dykes is male-emulation though; being a cunt isn't the exclusive domain of heterosexual men - having worked in places dealing with partner abuse, there's a surprising amount of woman-on-man abuse goes on, and probably an even greater amount unreported - anecdotally, I know of quite a few men who've been battered by their women, but who'd never report it.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 10.08.2010, 06:03 AM   #47
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
The 'tough male' stereotype that men try to rise to is probably why so much of it goes unreported, it's seen as embarrassing and makes the person less of a man. Which I think personally is bullshit, I've never tried to uphold some old fashioned thinking of 'boys don't cry'.

It's no wonder that males are more likely to commit suicide, even though it's females which deal with the breadth of depression.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.11.2010, 05:58 PM   #48
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Do they still perform Discipline at all? That'd be such a treat to see live!

TG are cool, but I've always been much more of a Psychic TV fan.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.13.2010, 08:17 PM   #49
washer
bad moon rising

washer cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard sucka
New site for the X-TG project: http://x-tg.com/

Seems like they're serious about it. I loved what I heard on the Porto gig (which was recorded, there's two songs from it on the X-TG Free section), but I don't know how well it would work outside of a live setting. Still really curious about it, anyway.
washer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.13.2010, 08:32 PM   #50
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis P Breyer-Orridge
GENESIS BREYER P-ORRIDGE – HAS NOT QUIT TG !

Dear Friends,

We have seen and heard various inaccurate, erroneous, even sometimes libelous speculations about why we felt compelled to drop out of the current Throbbing Gristle tour. As a result we intend to address these matters in full as soon as possible. We hope that what we state now, and later, will be clear, will not fan the flames of destructive gossip, will not seem negative and will reduce an somewhat dramatic situation into a simpler story. We want to make it clear right now that we did not, and have no wish to quit TG. Obviously there is more involved than just that simple statement. Personally, at this point of my life, my position is that the inner workings and dynamics of any band, but especially of TG, are as intimate, unique and most of all complex as they are within any family. Unfortunately, even at the level TG occupy in popular culture, band business becomes potentially everyone’s business. We all know the internet has amplified the speed of distribution of “information” almost as fast as it has accelerated the decline of accuracy worldwide. We have no interest in pointing fingers (or is it claws?) at various people or sites and accusing them of letting the cat out of the bag. Bickering is never attractive, not one on one nor within the realms of an ever expanding media fueled by smart phone technologies and laptops. As soon as we have composed a written version of what series of events we believe led to my feeling unable to remain part of THIS short tour by the re-grouped TG that feels acceptable we will post it here.

Genesis Breyer P-Orridge

http://www.genesisbreyerporridge.com/homepage.html

Quote:
Old 11.13.2010, 08:40 PM   #51
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2010, 07:03 AM   #52
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice

Well it's about time they left him/her.
It's pretty obvious that he's flounced off in a huff and then thought better of it when he got home. He's done it before and he'll do it again.
Sleazy flew all the way from Thailand for this tour, the last thing they need is to be saddled with a fucking diva. Sack him.

listening mirror @ Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/listening-mirror

Florya is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2010, 03:52 PM   #53
Ghostchase
100%

Ghostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's asses
whoa whoa.. let's not get outta hand here. There is no TG without Gen. There is no TG without Sleazy. There is no TG without Cosey. There is no TG without Chris.
Ghostchase is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2010, 05:03 PM   #54
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Man... throbbing gristle are definitely one of those bands I've always really went back and forth on, when I first heard them.. oh.. 12 years ago, when I was first getting into experimental music of any type, I hated them. Then, over the past decade-plus, I've went back to them constantly; it actually took me listening to TG24 back when it came out for me to really appreciate them. Also, reading some of P-Orridge's writings helped... for the longest time, I just dismissed them as "cool farty noises swirling around" .. One of the things me and one of my good friends have went back and forth on (since TG is his favorite band) is my use of electronics and stuff in scissorshock (which I've been doing nearly 9 years now) and some of the darker filthier robe. stuff, he said he doesn't believe I dislike throbbing gristle since he said my music is so similiar to tg (I've never made anything that sounds similiar to throbbing gristle). He's argued with me for years, saying I HAVE TO like TG... anyway, eventually, lo and behold, I did end up liking them a lot, but not until about two years ago, when I finally got into them (funnily enough, I used the GRISTLEIZER on psychic... and hole in the head of god! haha. No kidding!). Anyway, D.O.A. is such a masterpiece, really.. sick ass grimey nasty ass sounds.. just amazing atmospheres... I think they're one of the best bands ever but it took me a long long long time to get into them (Einsturzende Neubuten and Nurse With Wound also took me a long long time to really get into in any way -- besides A SUCKED ORANGE by NWW which is one of my favorite albums ever -- though somewhat similiar groups like Current 93 and Coil I loved immediately). I consider them mood music now, and I mean that in the nicest way possible... I like to put them on at parties. Actually y'now what, I actually love Throbbing Gristle, they're one of my favorite bands, but I really have to be in the proper mood for em.

Does anyone have TGV, the 7 dvd set? Would love to see that.

*EDIT: OH GOOD!
http://www.demonoid.com/files/?uid=0&category=13&subcategory=0&language=0&seeded =0&quality=0&query=throbbing+gristle&sort=

(hopefully that shows up for y'all. It's got all of TGV in avi format. I'm going to download all 11 files, slowly, each one is 700mb or more! Can't wait to see these!!!)

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2010, 05:11 PM   #55
Ghostchase
100%

Ghostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's asses
I will own TGV very soon, I must. I've been drooling over that for too long.
Ghostchase is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2010, 05:19 PM   #56
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
If you guys get a chance and have netflix, rent a dvd called monitorpop 01. It's hilarious, it has about 10 minutes of a new throbbing gristle live performance. The camera captures tons of people walking out. What strikes me is how BRIGHT the performance was and how bored they seemed, just up there pressing buttons and turning knobs as Genesis looked like he/she was about to fall asleep. Very unexpected, since TG always gets this reputation as this "dark" band, but they clearly have a great sense of humor. And obviously their music is great.

I own this now, my friend gave me his copy, I should totally rip the throbbing gristle performance.. it's like a 20 minute excerpt of a TG set, and every minute, people walk out, despite TG not really doing anything too confrontational or controversial. In fact, with a constant electronic machine pulse and slidey guitar, they sounded downright musical for the most part compared to some of their more noisey filthy stuff. Like I said, and lemme reiterate.. it's BRIGHT as hell, for some reason, so bright you can't see shadows, haha.

Old 11.14.2010, 06:42 PM   #57
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostchase
whoa whoa.. let's not get outta hand here. There is no TG without Gen. There is no TG without Sleazy. There is no TG without Cosey. There is no TG without Chris.

TG is dead.
Long live X-TG

Old 11.14.2010, 06:44 PM   #58
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostchase
I will own TGV very soon, I must. I've been drooling over that for too long.

Got it as a birthday present this year.
You need it.

Old 11.14.2010, 10:39 PM   #59
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
It's an interesting side effect of Gen as a phenomena that while people on this board can't seem to discuss a bass pick or picking a nose without descending into a flame war of cunt calling, somehow when we discuss the queen of shocking and anti-social behavior it is all completely cordial and well though out.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2010, 03:14 AM   #60
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Been listening to THIRD MIND MOVEMENTS and I find it absolutely startling how amazing this album is. I've never heard anything like it... one of the great "studio as an instrument" albums of the past decade.

Check out..
Throbbing Gristle live at Kezar part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AOc0VL7L7I

all 5 parts are amazing.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth