Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Os Mutantes
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.19.2011, 07:25 PM   #61
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
I'm thinking there are two main things you need to understand:

There isn't ONE Brazilian ethnicity, it's a VERY diverse country: Portuguese, African, Dutch, French, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, German, Polish, Turkish, Lebanese, Russian, Natives, Korean and Chinese are some of the main ethnicities found here, while a great part of the population is mixed, in varying degrees.

Of course there isn't a north american ethnicity either, but I feel silly having to tell you that.

Having a friend doesn't make you any kind of expert, seeing that you were the one who actually believed that Spanish was spoken in Brazil. Which means either your friend hasn't been telling you much or you haven't been listening.

Oh, and also, the Portuguese are caucasian. Does that upset you in any way? Because it's sort of like... a fact. That nobody should care enough about to even say it's not true.

I know americans like to refer to south americans as "latinos", but that completely ignores the history of many south american countries. It's like you're trying to say Gisele Bundchen is not white, lol.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2011, 10:45 PM   #62
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
the majority of the people everywhere i've been to isn't very open minded and is listening to lady gaga and fleet foxes.

and if any of those places aren't majority anglophone then there's plenty of people there who will listen to things that aren't in their own language

like you have to be pretty open to the world to look like this when you aren't american

everyone in the world who isn't a swiss yuppy with a smartcar listens to rap yo, but here in the heart of america's hat nobody wants to listen to people talk fast if they don't speak english
keep poppin pimples is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2011, 10:53 PM   #63
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
like in france most stores would have an os mutantes cd.

it would be in the brazil section

but in america there isn't a brazil section, because if you live in brazil best buy doesn't want to sell yr music, because not alot of people want to hear yr music, because you live in brazil and that means you speak spanish "i hear enough of that language on the bus, i want to put on some keith urban now and forget that not everyone speaks english"

it's ok here to be foreign and play music at the same time, as long as you're an australian who acts american

Old 10.20.2011, 06:08 AM   #64
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
what a romantic view.
i don't know what a think of a brazil section...
is it where they put brazilian hardcore or metal?
weird.

Old 10.20.2011, 07:03 AM   #65
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
I didn't see a thread dedicated to them. I thought that was bullshit.

So here is one.

Who digs them?

I've recently became enamored with them, Ive heard a few songs in the past, but just got their debut on vinyl and it's killing me how good it is.

Better than velvet underground? Maybe.

Who wasn't?
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2011, 01:01 PM   #66
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I'm thinking there are two main things you need to understand:

There isn't ONE Brazilian ethnicity, it's a VERY diverse country: Portuguese, African, Dutch, French, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, German, Polish, Turkish, Lebanese, Russian, Natives, Korean and Chinese are some of the main ethnicities found here, while a great part of the population is mixed, in varying degrees.

Of course there isn't a north american ethnicity either, but I feel silly having to tell you that.

Having a friend doesn't make you any kind of expert, seeing that you were the one who actually believed that Spanish was spoken in Brazil. Which means either your friend hasn't been telling you much or you haven't been listening.

Oh, and also, the Portuguese are caucasian. Does that upset you in any way? Because it's sort of like... a fact. That nobody should care enough about to even say it's not true.

I know americans like to refer to south americans as "latinos", but that completely ignores the history of many south american countries. It's like you're trying to say Gisele Bundchen is not white, lol.

Portuguese are Caucasian, but in terms of ethnic identity, they would consider themselves unique from North American Caucasians. At least my friend does. She gets deeply upset, also, when ignoramuses tell her to "say something in Spanish". You're right that I'm not an expert, but based on experience I can make inferences.

Either way, if an American were to believe that a band from Brazil sucked just because they didn't speak his language, the name for that tendency is ethnocentrism. "Hey, that's not AMERICAN! If it's not AMERICAN it's not GOOD. AMERICAN stuff is the only GOOD stuff!!". That's ethnocentrism.

Anyway weren't we talking about some band at some point?
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2011, 01:31 PM   #67
knox
invito al cielo

But weren't YOU the one who said we spoke Spanish?
Are you trying to confuse me or are you calling yourself ignoramus?
I don't think "they" (Portuguese) would consider themselves "unique" from North American Caucasians (WHATEVER THAT IS). By 'they' I mean 'us'. I think you're confusing the concept of "ethnicity" with the idea of "cultural idendity". But don't worry, I won't explain again.
But I think this entire conversation just illustrates that it's easy to perceive you as the sort of person that you were so concerned about not being perceived as.

Old 10.20.2011, 01:46 PM   #68
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
But weren't YOU the one who said we spoke Spanish?
Are you trying to confuse me or are you calling yourself ignoramus?
I don't think "they" (Portuguese) would consider themselves "unique" from North American Caucasians (WHATEVER THAT IS). By 'they' I mean 'us'. I think you're confusing the concept of "ethnicity" with the idea of "cultural idendity". But don't worry, I won't explain again.
But I think this entire conversation just illustrates that it's easy to perceive you as the sort of person that you were so concerned about not being perceived as.

No, I simply didn't know that Os Mutantes was Brazillian, honestly. I don't speak Portuguese or Spanish.

However, you might be right about everything. However, I'd still say that cultural identity is a huge part of "ethnocentrism", and that"ethnocentrism" does not strictly refer to ethnicity. In fact, I know this. It is a fact.

So unless you're arguing that ethnocentrism is not what it actually is, we have no disagreement.

However, I see every other point you've made as valid. And honestly, I don't see why we need to argue at all.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2011, 01:54 PM   #69
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
please keep going guys, yr debate is super interesting.

who are os mutantes anyway?
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2011, 02:10 PM   #70
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
At least my friend does. She gets deeply upset, also, when ignoramuses tell her to "say something in Spanish".

it must be a really difficult life being in america and getting upset when people don't know about yr country

i love it when people want me to speak spanish because i'm from bolivia hahha
Old 10.20.2011, 03:11 PM   #71
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
No, I simply didn't know that Os Mutantes was Brazillian, honestly. I don't speak Portuguese or Spanish.

However, you might be right about everything. However, I'd still say that cultural identity is a huge part of "ethnocentrism", and that"ethnocentrism" does not strictly refer to ethnicity. In fact, I know this. It is a fact.

So unless you're arguing that ethnocentrism is not what it actually is, we have no disagreement.

However, I see every other point you've made as valid. And honestly, I don't see why we need to argue at all.

Most of us associate "ethno" with ethnicity. I know in the US it has been constantly used to refer to "cultural identity" but I'm willing to bet the people who started it are the same who believe there is such as thing as an "american caucasian". So I would avoid using "ethnos-" it if I were you.

eth·no·cen·trism n.1. Belief in the superiority of one's own ethnic group.
2. Overriding concern with race.

Old 10.20.2011, 03:15 PM   #72
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep poppin pimples
it must be a really difficult life being in america and getting upset when people don't know about yr country

i love it when people want me to speak spanish because i'm from bolivia hahha

When I went to NY people would say things like "no way you're from Brazil, you're too white" but at least they were curious and asked questions, while many Europeans view that idea of finding out more about other cultures more threatening than fascinating.

Old 10.20.2011, 03:36 PM   #73
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
When I went to NY people would say things like "no way you're from Brazil, you're too white" but at least they were curious and asked questions, while many Europeans view that idea of finding out more about other cultures more threatening than fascinating.

do you think the too white thing might be why people are curious instead threatened?

i mean obviously it varies from person to person but i bet if you were a black man who sucks at english people might be more threatened

also there's a big difference between visiting a place and moving to it

like most americans are nice to everybody, in the united states i'm confident most people will put their biases aside and help out anyone who needs them.

but americans might become equally or more biased against other cultures if they payed attention to them

i mean they started paying attention to islamic countries now, and look what happened there

but i mean people also get stabbed for being mexican, and most of the people who do that sort of thing probably think brasil is an island off the coast of mexico so don't feel too tolerated
Old 10.20.2011, 03:43 PM   #74
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

in europe more people will hate you but you can still be weird and have some people like you

in america it's like a full time job to prove you aren't weird and stupid(extra hard when you are lol) and can act just like the locals

and if you fail you're going to run an unprofitable cafe or carry bricks around and never have any friends except that one guy from yr country who you don't like at all
Old 10.20.2011, 04:02 PM   #75
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
lol brown people!!!
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2011, 04:03 PM   #76
knox
invito al cielo

now you're being bias.
and nobody hates me, everybody likes me.
EVERYWHERE.

Old 10.20.2011, 04:12 PM   #77
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

people think brazil is spanish all the time

but i never see anyone say that anywhere near the street where the hot dog guy who always has brasil written on every single piece of clothing he wears works.

the first time i saw that fellow i was like.... yes, next time somebody says they speak spanish in brazil i'll be able to make them a $20 bet and run over to this guy.

but it never happens

and if everyone i knew wasn't such a broke ass we could look stuff like that up on a cellphone and i could win/lose so much money

and at this point that would be my most viable career option
Old 10.20.2011, 04:25 PM   #78
knox
invito al cielo

I know that guy. He's usually a football fan, not a Brazilian. He's not even selling churrasquinho.

Old 10.20.2011, 04:43 PM   #79
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
I know that guy. He's usually a football fan, not a Brazilian. He's not even selling churrasquinho.

no he's brazilian.

i'm sure because nobody who isn't really cares about brazil.

football fans pretty much always like england or italy.

brazil and argentina are popular with foreigners here though

but not many of them are willing to go around in faded green and yellow tracksuits from the 80s.

and most people wouldn't wear a shirt that says "brasil is with "S"

and then have brazil written on their hat,socks,shoes,jacket and swearpants

like if this dude is into brasil to be cool he's not doing well lol
Old 10.20.2011, 04:48 PM   #80
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

i did meet someone like that in romania

she said she got robbed three times in one day and i assumed it was because she was in a neon yellow outfit screaming "i can't talk to anybody and my car and gun are on the opposite side of the world, take my things please"

but then i saw her put a huge pile of money on a bench and then turn her back to it to pull other valubles out of a massive backpack

haha

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth