Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Boycott The White Stripes
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.28.2007, 12:36 AM   #101
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I'm in my 40s, and the number of times I've seen bands play shows that I wasn't impressed with is countless, but I've always taken it as being part of life. "Rock 'n' roll" isn't about value for money, it's about the moment.

sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2007, 12:39 AM   #102
Concrete Abutments
bad moon rising

Concrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's asses
Norma! I'm pretty much done with the White Stripes show angst. I just thought it was a good time to let out some more steam as far as this board goes. It's nothing but absolute BULLSHIT most of the time which is why I stay away. I'm not here that often.

Starting this thread was sort of a test. The board failed. I am amazed at how much bashing and name calling and utter stupidity is on here. I expected a community of music minded people (apparently most of the ones with brains aren't here like myself) to look at my story and most of you to come back with replies like "WOW yeah that is a short set. Fifty bucks is a little much for under an hour and a half." Or maybe something like; "I guess it could've been a bit longer considering they had never played in Connecticut before and this was a lot of the audience's first time seeing them." Or possibly; "It's good that you finally got to see them at all, but YEAH under 90 minutes is somewhat under par for the price of a concert ticket now." Or even; "WOW I'm envious that you were even in the same room as them! I wouldn't complain but it is your money."

Instead all I read was bashing and name calling. Pitiful.

OH and when you hit 40, you just get so SICK of getting ripped off at every turn in your life, from a gallon of milk to the electric bill, that you either snap every once in awhile or go INSANE! Especially when you know the raised price is just giving some CEO another downpayment on his next SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
I hope when I'm in my 40s I can get over things alot easier than you seem to.

But I'm not jumping on the bash CA bandwagon. you have your reasons for being pissed, I just don't see them that way.
Concrete Abutments is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2007, 12:51 AM   #103
Concrete Abutments
bad moon rising

Concrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah absolutely Sonicl! It's ALL about the moment! I'm totally with you on that. An intangible high of emotion that's yanked out of you by the art. I'm addicted to it always looking for the next rush or I wouldn't go to shows or buy music at all! And you don't always get that "moment" either!

But the getting bilked part is explained in my response to Norma. I'm always on the alert for it. Can't help it. I don't have money to burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
I'm in my 40s, and the number of times I've seen bands play shows that I wasn't impressed with is countless, but I've always taken it as being part of life. "Rock 'n' roll" isn't about value for money, it's about the moment.
Concrete Abutments is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2007, 12:58 AM   #104
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
To be honest, if it's intelligent discourse you want, you're in the wrong place, not because we can't have it but because this isn't where we come to do so.

Old 07.28.2007, 03:12 AM   #105
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete Abutments
Norma! I'm pretty much done with the White Stripes show angst. I just thought it was a good time to let out some more steam as far as this board goes. It's nothing but absolute BULLSHIT most of the time which is why I stay away. I'm not here that often.

Starting this thread was sort of a test. The board failed. I am amazed at how much bashing and name calling and utter stupidity is on here. I expected a community of music minded people (apparently most of the ones with brains aren't here like myself) to look at my story and most of you to come back with replies like "WOW yeah that is a short set. Fifty bucks is a little much for under an hour and a half." Or maybe something like; "I guess it could've been a bit longer considering they had never played in Connecticut before and this was a lot of the audience's first time seeing them." Or possibly; "It's good that you finally got to see them at all, but YEAH under 90 minutes is somewhat under par for the price of a concert ticket now." Or even; "WOW I'm envious that you were even in the same room as them! I wouldn't complain but it is your money."

Instead all I read was bashing and name calling. Pitiful.

OH and when you hit 40, you just get so SICK of getting ripped off at every turn in your life, from a gallon of milk to the electric bill, that you either snap every once in awhile or go INSANE! Especially when you know the raised price is just giving some CEO another downpayment on his next SUV.

Fair enough.

Unfortunately I've hit that "fuck this" wall and I'm only 24. I truely believe the statement "It's all downhill from 21". Sounds negative but I try to look up. I got pissed off during a game of Monopoly the other night, haha, because I couldn't catch a break. Sounds funny and I laugh at it too, but it seems like life is one big Monopoly game. I dread to think of what I'll be like at 40. I'd like to think I'll have found a way of accepting it by then though.

As for the thread, I didn't give you shit.
But to me, $50 seems fair for an hour show - fair for a name such as the White Stripes anyway. We'd pay like $80 for them here, and then I'd have to travel a few hours as they wouldn't come to my town. Although I wouldn't pay $50 for them guys, even though I own a few of their records and think they're pretty cool.
Old 07.28.2007, 05:52 AM   #106
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
i saw the Stripes live twice. i could never boycott them. they are fuckin class live. that Jack lad is a genius on the geetar
Old 07.28.2007, 06:04 AM   #107
SonicSam
children of satan

SonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's asses
Wah wah only 70 minutes. Most of the gigs I go to you'll be lucky if the main band playes for 35 minutes. I'd be bored as shit watching the white stripes for 2 hours. Or any band really.

SonicSam is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2007, 08:22 AM   #108
ScreamingSchool
little trouble girl

ScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not sure if everyone's angle here is to bash the starter of this thread, although I also havent read through all six pages. I think the overall vibe here is that to tell music fans to straight up BOYCOTT the White Stripes is a little harsh for something that is a VERY common event in rock and roll: The short set. And as others have said, by today's standards 70 mins is safely outside the parameters of what a short set is. I'd say 45 mins or less. As for the shoe thing, I see it like this: A band is a service employee just like a waiter is. If you treat a waiter like shit, do you think they are going to keep the refills comin' at lighting speed? How about you leave them a shitty tip then come back the next day? Same thing with a show. Somebody throws a shoe at the band then that person has violated the server-servee code. They are now no longer obligated to encore or go that extra mile. I mean, they weren't in the first place, but you know what I mean.
Now I agree, if you are just blowing off some steam after a frustration then of course you'll be speaking in absolutes and be like "Boycott this band" and say that you were ripped off and such, but on a public forum like this you GOTTA expect people to see that as one-sided, and then reply with equally one-sided responses in order to kind of even out the absolute statements you made. I think it was the wording that seemed extreme and was therefore met with extreme responses. But yeah I'm like hardly on this site either but I do enjoy alot of the discourse. I've had some of my posts called 'rubbish' and such but it's no big deal. You know what they say about opinions and assholes.
ScreamingSchool is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2007, 09:01 AM   #109
soapbars
the destroyed room

soapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's asses
well $50 is just less than 25 GBP,

which id pay for entry to venue/travel/1 or 2 drinks for me and the lady, to see a small unheard of band play for 30 minutes and i wouldnt winge,

the really issue here is you wasted money on the shite wipes
soapbars is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2007, 11:32 AM   #110
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
You're in your 40's?

My dad is in his 40's...

And if my dad was complaining about something so stupid as this, I'd punch him in his balls while he was boning my fat mom.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2007, 11:55 AM   #111
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
I sense angst in you astonic.

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2007, 12:22 PM   #112
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
nah, i'm not angst-filled.

i'm actually a really nice person. i've only been in one actual fist fight, and i didn't start it, though i won, which is ridiculous, since i'm 5'2 118 lbs and he was probably 5'4 and he worked out. but yeah. i actually won my only fight. not that i wanted to fight. i'm somewhat of a pacifist. and everyone around here likes me and thinks i'm really cool, which is why i kind of hide from people, because i hate being well-liked by methed out idiots.

but yeah. no angst for me!

Old 07.28.2007, 02:24 PM   #113
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Yup K-Krack I see your point. I don't blame Jack and/or Meg for getting pissed about it. HOWEVER, the BIGGER person would realize that there ARE 15,599 other people waiting for them to return. And they can't slip out on this one because most people KNOW they habitually play longer.

I mean come on; Jack didn't even acknowledge the fact that the shoe pissed him off. SAY SOMETHING TO THE FUCKING CROWD! Have some balls and stay in good graces with everybody else that's there enjoying themselves. We'll back you up and lynch the fucker that threw it if you open your mouth!

Look, they can do whatever they want obviously, but when you're as big as they are or bigger you're basically running a business. You piss off the customers and you're shooting yourself in the foot!

I can't WAIT to see what the newspaper is going to say about this tomorrow.

SOMETIMES i LIKE to CAPITALIZE totally random WORDS that i PLACE in SENETENCES! Seriously THOUGH, i DON'T care at all ABOUT the white STRIPES gig, but THESE kinds of POSTS are JUST really annoying TO read.
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2007, 06:18 PM   #114
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

hahahha.,

rep'd.

Old 07.28.2007, 11:45 PM   #115
ThePits
stalker

ThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Hey Adam! That is your name right? I'm in my 40's and I KNOW I have more life experience under my belt than any of the snotty, stupid kids on this friggin' board. Spoiled kid with rich parents sounds more like 90% of the jerks that post here and use this board for BS instead of real information. Which would explain a LOT since several postings express a complete disregard for forking over $50 for barely a full concert.

I've been collecting music since before you were born! And I know a LOT more about the industry and how it's turned into more of a corporate scam over the course of my life. Getting screwed at a White Stripes show is about much more than Jack and Meg deciding they just couldn't finish the show.

A lot of you kids are NOT getting it and that's REALLY scary!

Just to make a few salient points clear

I am in my 40's

I come from a working class background and didnt have rich parents

I have worked in the music industry for 24 years

I am involved in 2 - 300 shows per year not including major and minor festivals

Guess that means I aint a kid and might, just might, know a little about live music and the music industry

You didnt get ripped off by the White Stripes, on one of your own posts you state the reason given for the shortened set was an injury

If you feel that agrieved, look up the bands agent or management in the White Book and complain

As you are in your 40's I am kind of disturbed by the fact that because you started this thread and received dissenting opinions you dismiss the whole board as "bullshit" and "apparently most of the ones with brains aren't here like myself"

Why start a thread if you simply want to dismiss or belittle any opinion that differs from what you want to hear?

Wouldnt you be better off simply unplugging your computer and sitting there talking to yourself?

More to the point, isnt it time to get over it and move on?
ThePits is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2007, 01:36 AM   #116
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePits
Just to make a few salient points clear

I am in my 40's

I come from a working class background and didnt have rich parents

I have worked in the music industry for 24 years

I am involved in 2 - 300 shows per year not including major and minor festivals

Guess that means I aint a kid and might, just might, know a little about live music and the music industry

You didnt get ripped off by the White Stripes, on one of your own posts you state the reason given for the shortened set was an injury

If you feel that agrieved, look up the bands agent or management in the White Book and complain

As you are in your 40's I am kind of disturbed by the fact that because you started this thread and received dissenting opinions you dismiss the whole board as "bullshit" and "apparently most of the ones with brains aren't here like myself"

Why start a thread if you simply want to dismiss or belittle any opinion that differs from what you want to hear?

Wouldnt you be better off simply unplugging your computer and sitting there talking to yourself?

More to the point, isnt it time to get over it and move on?

That needed repped.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2007, 02:27 AM   #117
sonicl
invito al cielo

The guy seems to have deserted us as a punishment for our failing is test. Which is a shame, as I saw Scissor Sisters last night and they were excellent, AND they played over ninety minutes. I was going to recommend that he goes to see them next time. They were probably a damn sight more fun than Jack 'n' Meg too.

There a bright stage light that shone in my eyes sometimes though, which spoiled my enjyment a little bit, and I did wonder about asking you all to boycott Scssor Sisters because of that. But, hey, they's the breaks.

Old 07.29.2007, 02:35 AM   #118
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
The guy seems to have deserted us as a punishment for our failing is test. Which is a shame, as I saw Scissor Sisters last night and they were excellent, AND they played over ninety minutes. I was going to recommend that he goes to see them next time. They were probably a damn sight more fun than Jack 'n' Meg too.

There a bright stage light that shone in my eyes sometimes though, which spoiled my enjyment a little bit, and I did wonder about asking you all to boycott Scssor Sisters because of that. But, hey, they's the breaks.

Yeah we should boycott them, it will make us smart, according to this dimwit.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2007, 02:38 AM   #119
sonicl
invito al cielo

So it's the expeiences we don't have that make us smart? Shit, I could be so much more intelligent if I hadn't spent all that time at school!

Old 07.29.2007, 02:39 AM   #120
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Hey now, come on. Let's not start a shit fight. Put down and step away from the shit people.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth