Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page RIP Robin Williams
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.11.2014, 06:38 PM   #1
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
63 years old, felled by the twin demons addiction and depression.

We hated him in some things, made fun of him, took him for granted. But we all, all loved him at one point, and that's something special.

I can't tell if this clip is highly inappropriate or not, but I think it is, ironically, sadly, one of his best acting moments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piQ2-mNeTZM
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2014, 06:46 PM   #2
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
It really sucks when someone is sober for years/decades and they relapse. In some ways Robin Williams was an underrated actor, he really shined in dramatic roles, and he really took on some interesting roles in the past few years. Sad news.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2014, 07:00 PM   #3
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
This totally fucking sucks.. Robin Williams, while often annoying, was probably one of the few sincerely decent human beings in the Hollywood circle. He was also funny at many levels, and probably navigated the world of "funny for kids while being funny for adults" better than ANYONE ever even tried..

We will miss this guy! This also comes a total shock, hopefully it can be a teachable moment for people to pause and reflect that just because people look like they have their lives together on the outside doesn't mean they have it altogether on the inside.

Also, as is always the case with suicide, we need to ALL pause and reflect on how we can literally save a person's life just by being nice to them one day. This shows how there are people walking around with crippling pain inside and are helpless to the point of hurting themselves, and if the people in their lives were to almost randomly take notice, it can save that life.

If you notice ANYTHING remotely troubling about ANYONE in your life, NEVER be nervous or apprehensive to ASK them about it. Suicide is a desperate act, one which quite often is prevented simply by giving the person a chance to talk it out with a sympathetic listener

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2014, 08:43 PM   #4
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Wow. Just heard. That's awful. Always thought he should've played Willy Wonka in the Tim Burton remake.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2014, 12:43 AM   #5
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Greatest actor of all-time. I'll stand by that wholeheartedly.

I'll miss ya duder.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2014, 01:23 AM   #6
Nefeli
invito al cielo

Nefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's asses
i love life soo much...but the worst thing i can listen when someone commits suicide, is that 'the hard thing is to choose to live and not to choose to die'. there are emotional states, most of us, the lucky ones, cant even begin to comprehend. i really wish all the people who feel that way can be saved somehow.

love to robin williams.
Nefeli is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2014, 01:33 AM   #7
ALIEN ANAL
invito al cielo

ALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's asses
So sad and frustrating at the same time. horrible news.
Old 08.12.2014, 07:48 AM   #8
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
i love life soo much...but the worst thing i can listen when someone commits suicide, is that 'the hard thing is to choose to live and not to choose to die'. there are emotional states, most of us, the lucky ones, cant even begin to comprehend. i really wish all the people who feel that way can be saved somehow.

love to robin williams.

it's a rough process to say the least

He shared a birthday with me, July 21st, Cancerian, the motto of those born under this sign is "I Feel", it is very apt, you tend to feel everything to an extreme: the highs and the lows, the greatest of joy and the deepest of sorrow, it's something that doesn't ever leave you
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2014, 11:59 AM   #9
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
this is sad. love him or hate him, the guy was one of the few actors/celebrities/whatever who seemed to have a real soul. i don't mean by this some kind of ghostly ectoplasm attached to the body meat-- i mean a depth of feeling and sensibility that made him come across as very human-- yes, even when he was being annoying, he was probably annoying because you could actually feel his pain.

personally, i loved him in "the fisher king." it's been ages, so i can't make a critical appreciation of it from memory, but i really liked that movie when i saw it, and he was particularly great in it.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2014, 12:15 PM   #10
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I am surprised at the amount of praise his acting and comedy are getting now that he's dead. Never cared for his ''talent'' myself. RIP anyway.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2014, 12:43 PM   #11
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
i got swept up in the necro culture senitmentalism earlier

everyones really enjoying it.
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2014, 12:48 PM   #12
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I'll join in then. Mork and Mindy was my 2nd favourite American TV show when I was a kid.
Old 08.12.2014, 12:50 PM   #13
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
in a country of fake tough guys with fake emotions, he had the balls to show pain

it wasn't always comfortable
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2014, 01:26 PM   #14
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Once again (oh surprise), the media got it all wrong. "Ooooh, he was the funny man, how shocking". Do you, ignorant media fucks who couldn't come up with an original thought if your sorry-ass lives depended on it, even realize what Williams' supernatural gift was? Speed. Not the drug - unfuckingbelievable mental speed. You can't always appreciate it, what with some lame scripts in some of his movies and whatnot. One-on-one, however, in an interview or something similar, guy was mind-blowing, and NOBODY has ever come close, including Carrey and others.

Al Pacino said years ago that whenever he felt in a tough sport regarding a character, he would ask himself: "What would Robin Williams do?" Such an ability, as it usually happens (who's free of this curse? Paul McCartney?), comes coupled with a fucked up mental wiring. I don't and never will have the guy's powers, but what can I tell ya, I do relate to this.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2014, 02:25 PM   #15
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Once again (oh surprise), the media got it all wrong. "Ooooh, he was the funny man, how shocking". Do you, ignorant media fucks who couldn't come up with an original thought if your sorry-ass lives depended on it, even realize what Williams' supernatural gift was? Speed. Not the drug - unfuckingbelievable mental speed. You can't always appreciate it, what with some lame scripts in some of his movies and whatnot. One-on-one, however, in an interview or something similar, guy was mind-blowing, and NOBODY has ever come close, including Carrey and others.

Al Pacino said years ago that whenever he felt in a tough sport regarding a character, he would ask himself: "What would Robin Williams do?" Such an ability, as it usually happens (who's free of this curse? Paul McCartney?), comes coupled with a fucked up mental wiring. I don't and never will have the guy's powers, but what can I tell ya, I do relate to this.
I don't know, I think the idea that an individual has the capability of having some supernatural powers in terms of creativity that lasts throughout their lifetime doesn't have any proof other than media obituaries and journalists (who else?) trying to ride on their subject's peaks to make a name for themselves. Robin Williams' acting abilities were poor but entertaining. I can't get out of my head that he was entertaining because he was there anyway and you couldn't get rid of him. He was on TV, he was in films that you're often told you should go and watch if you're taking the girlfriend out and can't be bothered to watch your dog having a shit on the pavement instead. Regardless, it’s tragic that anyone feels this is a natural way to die and it hurts no matter what to the people who were close to him as human being.
Old 08.12.2014, 02:33 PM   #16
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Btw, I think Al Pacino sucks too.
Old 08.12.2014, 02:37 PM   #17
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Robin Williams' acting abilities were poor but entertaining.

Poor?

Have you seen films like Good Will Hunting, Awakenings, One Hour Photo, or Insomnia? Williams may have hammed it up in his family comedies, but that was part of his charm in those films.

Quote:

Oh, okay.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2014, 02:45 PM   #18
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I don't know, I think the idea that an individual has the capability of having some supernatural powers in terms of creativity that lasts throughout their lifetime doesn't have any proof other than media obituaries and journalists (who else?) trying to ride on their subject's peaks to make a name for themselves.

I was using the term "supernatural" the way Morrissey used it to describe Sandie Shaw's beauty - a hyperbole, not a believe in anything actually supernatural which sure as hell I don't have.

Quote:
Robin Williams' acting abilities were poor but entertaining.

Strongly disagree.

Quote:

I stopped caring about Pacino when he got addicted to tanning (DUDE, you're ORANGE), but that was one solid performance by him on Phil Spector.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 08.12.2014, 02:57 PM   #19
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
I was using the term "supernatural" the way Morrissey used it to describe Sandie Shaw's beauty - a hyperbole, not a believe in anything actually supernatural which sure as hell I don't have.

Have you read his Autobiography? The way he writes about her is not as ''dreamy'' as you would think considering his initial adulation of her pop persona. She wasn't a Smiths fan to start with and the band's crusade didn't mean much to her other than top chart positions.
Old 08.12.2014, 03:08 PM   #20
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Have you read his Autobiography? The way he writes about her is not as ''dreamy'' as you would think considering his initial adulation of her pop persona. She wasn't a Smiths fan to start with and the band's crusade didn't mean much to her other than top chart positions.
I've read it, yes; that's where I took the adjective from. Several (but by no means all) people initially admired by Morrissey end up getting a good jab (or many) by the author - the pages on Siouxsie are particularly hilarious in that regard. Too bad the book was finished before the "Kristeen Young Contagious Disease" incident...

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth