Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page the gossip
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.08.2009, 08:42 AM   #41
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyourfiend
i did so because i've been having conversations with multiple other members of this board who also feel that female artists are discussed on this board is fucked up. if i'm at fault for perpetuating that dialogue, then i'm sorry i guess?

I agree that the way female artists are discussed (if we could you use this term) on this forum is shit. I was not too sure why you'd highlight people's perception of Beth Ditto before your curiousity about the opinions on The Gossip on your first post in the thread, that's all.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.08.2009, 08:43 AM   #42
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Ranting is good. Keep on ranting, please.
Old 10.08.2009, 08:43 AM   #43
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox
I own Standing In The Way Of Control (the album) and like it. I never listened to their other albums though - I don't really like what I've heard of the new one. One album is enough for me. But yeah, I really like this album.

as i mentioned before, that's not what i heard is absolutely incredible.

notyourfiend is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.08.2009, 08:46 AM   #44
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I think there is a second side to the coin that a lot of fans of, I guess, "controversial" bands like the Gossip are just, if not moreso, obsessed with the controversy around the groups image to an equal extent as their music. The group proves something or exposes something that the fans identify with and champion. It's kind of a self-fulfilling banner flung which has faint traces of revolutionary idealism, though be it in a single issue.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.08.2009, 08:47 AM   #45
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
was not too sure why you'd highlight people's perception of Beth Ditto before your curiousity about the opinions on The Gossip on your first post in the thread, that's all.

As I mentioned before, I don't think that i articulated my initial post correctly. I wasn't trying to perpetuate that crap.

Old 10.08.2009, 08:54 AM   #46
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
I think there is a second side to the coin that a lot of fans of, I guess, "controversial" bands like the Gossip are just, if not moreso, obsessed with the controversy around the groups image to an equal extent as their music. The group proves something or exposes something that the fans identify with and champion. It's kind of a self-fulfilling banner flung which has faint traces of revolutionary idealism, though be it in a single issue.

the gossip have always been pretty forward about their politics of gay rights and all. and yes, i can totally admit that one of the reasons i'm a fan is because the music is so queer and i can identify with it.

Old 10.08.2009, 09:09 AM   #47
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Well, I wouldn't say their music is ''queer'', it sounds really conventional to these ears. I think they attract a (certain) gay contingent because she's a dyke more than the music itself.
Old 10.08.2009, 09:22 AM   #48
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

there are bunch of gay mentions in her songs. and, in both shows i've gone to, she's dedicated songs to the queers in the audience.

Old 10.08.2009, 09:24 AM   #49
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i bought there first EP about 9 or 10 years ago, it's pretty decent although i didn't really follow them after that, then about 6 years later the got really huge which was kind of unexpected, and a bit weird. i don't like their new stuff (i.e. the stuff that got them popular). but i guess it's good to see a band who have spent years in obscurity paying their dues acheive world wide success.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.08.2009, 09:38 AM   #50
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

yeah. their newer stuff doesn't nearly match their older stuff. i never really liked the standing in the way of control single. but whatever, it's fun enough. and i agree - they deserve success.

Old 10.08.2009, 10:37 AM   #51
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
there are bunch of gay mentions in her songs. and, in both shows i've gone to, she's dedicated songs to the queers in the audience.
I can easily see how they appeal to various fringes of homosexual types. I think the electronic direction they're going for now could be a direct influence of the sort of music often played in indie gay clubs, where electro is played next to indie rock, with the odd hip hop/80's pop number thrown in.

I was referring to the music itself. Not even in their less famous incarnation I thought they were any good, certainly not queer-sounding by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 10.08.2009, 11:09 AM   #52
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitemusic
What the fuck does angular even mean. I hate music descriptions like that!
gang of four guitars or some shit like that.

very "rock journalist" word, isn't it?
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.08.2009, 11:32 AM   #53
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
why is armpit hair gross on women as opposed to men? i have armpit hair which i haven't shaved for years. i'm also technically overweight. and you know what, i fucking love it!

It's gross, OK. People have the right to find certain things attractive and certain things not attractive. If I remember correctly, don't you have a thing against muscular guys?
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.08.2009, 11:33 AM   #54
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
they don't particularly impress me musically, but it's good and she has an amazing voice.

i mean really fucking good voice.

also, herself and the content of the lyrics, they're the only let's say mainstream band at the moment closest to the definition of subversive, which is what "alternative" music was supposed to be all along.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.08.2009, 11:34 AM   #55
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
It's gross, OK. People have the right to find certain things attractive and certain things not attractive. If I remember correctly, don't you have a thing against muscular guys?

you see. thats my point.

why the fuck people think that imposing shit and saying people are gross because they are not the same is ok?

Old 10.08.2009, 11:40 AM   #56
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
mainstream band at the moment closest to the definition of subversive, which is what "alternative" music was supposed to be all along.

And make that subversive alternative sound like a watered-down, anaemic-sounding version of the real deal. Thanks for nothing.
Old 10.08.2009, 11:46 AM   #57
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by automatic bzooty
gang of four guitars or some shit like that.

very "rock journalist" word, isn't it?

Exactly
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.08.2009, 01:10 PM   #58
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
And make that subversive alternative sound like a watered-down, anaemic-sounding version of the real deal. Thanks for nothing.

i made it very clear i wasnt talking about the music itself.

Old 10.08.2009, 02:12 PM   #59
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:

i never claimed muscular guys to be 'gross'. there is a very big difference between claiming something to be unattractive to yr own personal preference and something to be 'gross'.

Old 10.08.2009, 02:24 PM   #60
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
I can easily see how they appeal to various fringes of homosexual types. I think the electronic direction they're going for now could be a direct influence of the sort of music often played in indie gay clubs, where electro is played next to indie rock, with the odd hip hop/80's pop number thrown in.

id say that it's probably more because that's what's selling right now. indie electronica is everywhere, not just in the gay scene.

speaking of which, the gossip played with j.d. samson's new band MEN

> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth