Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page bukowski sux
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.10.2007, 06:29 PM   #61
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
The pack has attacked again.

Drama queen.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2007, 06:32 PM   #62
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
Drama queen.

I'm sure you bum-buddies will agree.
Old 01.10.2007, 06:33 PM   #63
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
Drama queen.

And you leave Glice's age out of it.
Oh don't even quote him Pookie.That way you spare me his crocodile dundee tears.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2007, 06:50 PM   #64
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
and why shouldn't they? in my opinion, this "table" is basically a meaningless elitist creation, formed over time to maintain the barrier between audience and artist.
if people have the tools, why not utilize them.
i think this is the problem, the artist and the audience have become so alienated from each other, why should art be structured towards the consumer? surely art is better art if it is created without any preconcieved notion of what is expected by society. if a person has feelings, he/she should express them. in my mind, this is art.
although i'm straying from the point. i do agree with your point in full about people who pretend to have a full knowledge of language/brush strokes etc etc, but in my mind, that's only a tiny part of the full picture. were sonic youth "cheeky amateurs?" because they had no formla training in music?
perhaps! but they sure made some fucking amazing art.[/quote]

Right,back to more interesting things than Norma J's desperate calls for mummy and daddy.I'm not saying that if a person didn't get some formal artistic training they wont be able to produce beautiful art and,as you've rightly pointed out,Sonic Youth are one such example of that.I'm not sure if i 'm totally convinced about this 'divide' between audience and artist and quiete frankly i think that it is an idea that gets dusted out of the cupboard because of the notion of i'ndie cred' and that old and sterile punk rock way of thinking that has been perpetrated on musicians and scenes for a bit too long now.If the work of an artist is good enough,i shall think that it will still manage to communicate to me intimately even if it is being performed from the peak of a mountain.

Old 01.10.2007, 07:08 PM   #65
racehorse
100%

racehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
Right,back to more interesting things than Norma J's desperate calls for mummy and daddy.I'm not saying that if a person didn't get some formal artistic training they wont be able to produce beautiful art and,as you've rightly pointed out,Sonic Youth are one such example of that.I'm not sure if i 'm totally convinced about this 'divide' between audience and artist and quiete franklly i think that it is an idea that gets dusted out of the cupboard because of the notion of indie cred and that old and sterile punk rock way of thinking that has been perpetrated on musicians and scenes for a bit too long now.If the work of an artist is good enough,i shall think that it will still manage to communicate to me intimately even if it is being performed from the peak of a mountain.
yeah, for sure, although what makes bukowski great to me (although not drastically original as glice pointed out. ) is the focus and insight on the unimportant everyday details which make up life.
"the miniscule is the proper domain for the artist" is a quote i remember from somewhere. (obviously joyce and co. were using this technique years before, and the buddhist zen poets centuries before)
but anyway, that's why i think he is wonderful, breaking down the barrier between artist and audience by describing easily relatable details that break down the alienation between writer and reader.
Old 01.10.2007, 07:24 PM   #66
Kallisti23chaos
children of satan

Kallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's asses
I'll agree with that. He is a drag. If i wanted to hear some drunk ramble on about nothing, i'd go down to the nearest bar and find one. just my opinion.
Old 01.10.2007, 07:28 PM   #67
Kallisti23chaos
children of satan

Kallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's asses
i dig your picture porkmama !**
Old 01.10.2007, 07:28 PM   #68
racehorse
100%

racehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's asses
well make sure you take yr notebook so any gold doesn't go unrecorded.
Old 01.11.2007, 07:50 AM   #69
candymoan
the end of the ugly

candymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's asses
i've read nearly everything penned by bukowski, and i still admire his poetry.. this whole thread feels something along the lines of "i'm going to argue that marilyn manson is not goth, and the spooky kids will understand.."

much like music, literature is about the individual.. bukowski repeatedly attacked the hippies and the beats as they were trying to change the world the wrong way: trying to convert all to nonconformity makes a new norm of conformity..

bukowski did not hate women, he had suffered because of women, and was openly discussing such topics with a bitter sentiment.. he was alienated to an extreme point, had found semi-refuge in the bottle..

hunter s. thompson, anyone?
do you guys remember burroughs?
poe, baudelaire, they're not considered to be "ramblings under the influence..."

it's perfectly okay to say that you don't enjoy bukowski, but it's a whole other issue if you start name calling, and support a very inflexible idea based on hearsay and half-truths..

literature is a matter of taste.. there is nothing to discuss apart from views on specific topics regarding a writer.. i don't like kerouac that much, but i also understand his importance and influence - and i don't go around starting a thread against him..

basically, what are we arguing here?

partial points go to pookie and porkmarras to defending their stance, but they lose more points for closed-mindedness and hostility..

see you guys at the "vonnegut sux" thread for more gore and violence...

*/**
nothing here...

candymoan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2007, 07:58 AM   #70
porkmarras
invito al cielo

[quote=Glice]Of course, granted. It's a difficult thing to negotiate though - for all the hatefullness of Burzum, they are fucking awesome.quote]

That's a stimulating point in that i find myself more lenient towards good music being made by pricks with a good grasp of visuals rather than the crudity of the word itself.Music is intrinsically tied to the imagination of the listener because it isn't tangible or visible( if we discount the visual apparatus attached to it by videos,artwork,performers etc) so therefore it travels into channels opened by the conscious/subconscious and makes itself more difficult to be judged.

Old 01.11.2007, 07:59 AM   #71
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by candymoan
partial points go to pookie and porkmarras to defending their stance, but they lose more points for closed-mindedness and hostility..

If you read this thread carefully, you'll notice that most of the hostility came from the pro-Bukowski camp. In fact, aside from the pro-Bukowski hostility, we were having a decent discussion.

As for close-mindedness, I've read a great deal of Bukowski's work, read a lot about him, and have formed my opinions over a number of years (about 25 since I first read something by him).

And yes, some of the criticisms aimed at Bukowski can be applied to other writers, but that doesn't make them any less true of his work.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2007, 10:46 AM   #72
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
he is funnier than most though!

Bukowski!
Old 01.11.2007, 11:00 AM   #73
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Bukowski doesn't suck. I'm hungry.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2007, 02:13 PM   #74
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse
yeah, for sure, although what makes bukowski great to me (although not drastically original as glice pointed out. ) is the focus and insight on the unimportant everyday details which make up life.
"the miniscule is the proper domain for the artist" is a quote i remember from somewhere. (obviously joyce and co. were using this technique years before, and the buddhist zen poets centuries before)
but anyway, that's why i think he is wonderful, breaking down the barrier between artist and audience by describing easily relatable details that break down the alienation between writer and reader.

1. The writer is always alienated from the reader, and vice versa: The mechanistics of absence, the medium, the intangible force of interpretation will always mean that whatever the writer means cannot be understood in its entirety by the reader, and what the reader understands will never be heard by the writer. The writer's skill lies in appealing to enough alienated (in a different sense) people, not by breaking down the alienation.

2. I have a personal thing about conflating religious edicts with artistic ones. Very loosely, as a post-enlightenment artefact [sic], art is primarily concerned with an individual's interpretation of the world as s/he sees it. Religion, and many pre-englightenment works, are concerned with expressing the 'art' for the society (in non-religious works) or expressing the metaphysical/ spiritual/ epistemelogical [alleged] needs of a group or potential group. Where similarities occur is only in the post-enlightenment artist converging to a similar point for the religion, never vice-versa. Nonetheless, the individual's art, expression of the world takes precedence over any commonalities with religion (even if the artist is expressing his/ her religious self).

3. Personally, I can appreciate that a lot of people like to see the mundane exalted in art, and I do so myself. I'm a fan of Billy Bragg, and Beckett (who I was reading today) does a wonderful job of saying nothing. However, in Bukowski I feel this exaltation of the mundane is merely an expression - Thomas Hardy (for me, the zenith of mundane writing), meanwhile, can make the most absurdly fastiduous reams of florid prose spring tenfold on merely a few seconds of mundane dialogue/ narrative. It's very much a personal thing, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candymoan
Literature is a matter of taste.. there is nothing to discuss apart from views on specific topics regarding a writer..

There is plenty to discuss, always. 'Taste' is too bland and insipid a non-sequitur to leave unexplored, and this discussion hitherto (save a moment's light relief/ laconic nonsense) is exploring what this taste means in relation to Bukowski, with the exception of a few boorish individuals who are incapable of involving themselves in a discussion on any level. This last comment is not, in any way, shape, or form, directed at yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2007, 02:19 PM   #75
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
What Beckett were you reading?
Old 01.11.2007, 02:26 PM   #76
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Complete Plays. Dipping in and out rather than sequentially, although I re-read Godot and End Game the other day. Went through some of the shorter ones today. Wonderful he is.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 01.11.2007, 02:31 PM   #77
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

Cool. I'm a big fan of his novels, like Watt and the Molloy, Malone Dies, and the Unnamable trilogy.

My sig is from Malone Dies or Molloy, I can't remember which.
Old 01.11.2007, 02:43 PM   #78
Glice
invito al cielo

I've yet to read his literature, though I intend to this year, God willing. I can only imagine it's as good as his plays. You might want to check out Sarah Kane, the subject of another thread recently, as she's in a similar, albeit darker and more harrowing, vein.

Quote:
Old 01.11.2007, 04:16 PM   #79
Silent Dan Speaks
the destroyed room

Silent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's asses
I'd like to butt in with my opinion of Bukowski. I like his poems quite a bit, but I read Factotum and didn't care for it. It was really predictable and not very interesting.

But like I said, I enjoy his poems.
Silent Dan Speaks is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2007, 04:37 PM   #80
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
again, I recommend HAM ON RYE which is about his childhood (terrible horrible shit he dealt with)
and POST OFFICE

I liked factotum completely. I think it is the ultimate anti-work manifesto

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth