Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Joss Whedon
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.31.2006, 11:13 AM   #21
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Eh....Buffy is just about tolerable but the 'hip' dialogue gets on my tits after a while. And Serenity was a massive, massive heap of shit.
eh,to each is own,Iain
i think the reason why i started enjoying buffy is that i simply expected to be entertained,nothing more,so i was even more happy all the times the plot/dialogues went beyond simple entertainment.as everyneurotic said,whedom himself is a great writer/director imo(you can easily say which are the episodes he directed without reading the credits),but his style is sorta "nerdy" (if this word exists)in a good way,and you must be into the stuff he likes to fully appreciate some quotes or the general mood...i mean,where else can you find a dialogue between a vampire and the blond slayer supposed to kill him that goes something like this

Buffy There's gotta be a reason why the chip is going all wonky. Maybe it's related to the trigger.Well, we'll fix it. We'll hit serious research mode...
Spike Good. Try Behavioral Modification Software Throughout the Ages.
Buffy OK. You're right. Not a book thing. It's a phone thing.
Spike Who you gonna call? God, that phrase is never gonna be useable again, is it?
Buffy Doubt it.

if you recognize and are amused by the reference in spike's question,i think that you are a potential buffy fan.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2006, 11:25 AM   #22
Richard Pryor on Fire
100%

Richard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's asses
You guys should read Astonishing X-men it's one of the new x-men books that are coming out and Josh Whedon is writing it so far it's great, I think the idea for the third movie sprang from this...

http://pissingaway.blogspot.com/
Richard Pryor on Fire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2006, 11:51 AM   #23
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
good morning---

ys, buffy+angel were great, hilarious shows, worked at multiple levels and if you get stuck on the teeny-bopper aspect of it you are really missing out. whedon is a master of dialogue, he used to be a script doctor in that roseanne show, and i have to say the 2ndary characters (xander, willow, chordelia) amuse me a whole lot more than buffy herself. the man is a genius, no question about it, and you have to listen to his dvd commentaries to fully appreciate it-- on the first episode of firefliy, he comments "hm, a science-fiction western... how did i come up with that? i think i was really stoned...." ha ha. of course there is cowboy bebop and a whole universe of western scifi but he own take was great, his characters demented (you gotta love the characters in firefly, all or almost all of them). and then serenity i agree doesn't make a lot of sense except as the "closing" chapter of firefly. this can be had on dvd, all 14 or 18 episodes or whatever.

as for getting started on buffy i recommend simply renting out season 1 & sitting in front of the tv on a lazy sunday morning with maybe a milkshake and a grilled cheese sandwich? just sit back & take it lightly & let it sink in-- soon you'll be laughing your ass off.

btw candymoan it doesn't "border" on campy-- it's campy all the way & very conscious of it i think.

as nicfit pointed out, you have to get the references & the joke in the dialogue to really get "into" it.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2006, 12:01 PM   #24
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
The way I see it, if you love "Star Wars" you can at least LIKE any of Joss' work. So much of his work is so much more then what it appears on the surface. Buffy was about a girl who killed vampires, but (and I'm talking about the tv show not the movie), it was all a metaphor about how high school, no matter who you are, is hell. I thought Angel was even better then Buffy, very few write drama the way Joss does, and Angel was Buffy's leaner, meaner brother. Firefly/Serenity, I'll tell you this "Serenity" blows any of the Star Wars prequel trilogy out of the water. Because unlike Mr. Lucus, the dude knows how to write dialouge.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2006, 12:17 PM   #25
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
!@#$%! you are right!
xander and anya are my favs...

"bunnies!!!"
Old 05.31.2006, 12:31 PM   #26
candymoan
the end of the ugly

candymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's asses
work of whedon is way better than george lucas' "star wars"..
it would also crush "star trek" too..

*/**
nothing here...

candymoan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2006, 02:09 PM   #27
blots
little trouble girl

blots ain't too shabbyblots ain't too shabby
I agree that Angel was better, much darker. Second season Angel is among the best of TV, and I think one of the writers was the guy who does the Shield now. Firefly also had some amazing episodes, but never really had the chance to fully grow. It didn't get a full season, and when the episodes were originally shown they were shown out of order. I think they only ended up showing about 9 of the 14 episodes, and they also wouldn't let him use the original two-hour pilot, but made him rewrite it into a mediocre (comparatively) one-hour train heist episode. I was pretty sad Serenity didn't catch on, I don't know that it met the potential the show had, but it was a good movie.

4th Season Buffy was by far the weakest in my opinion, so I would suggest anybody starting out does not catch that one. Reruns may be dangerous for this reason... I would suggest starting with the first three seasons, and maybe 5 or 6 (who else thought the musical episode was brilliant?). They actually just rereleased all the Buffy seasons in slimmer cases and for a cheaper price (I think they're at around $27.99 right now) in the U.S. yesterday, like they did with X-Files a little bit ago. Angel will probably follow soon. They had a box-set of the entire show that was pretty cheap, but it's out of print now. I think he's working on the "Wonder Woman" movie right now. Here's a decent source of information on his happenings: http://whedonesque.com/
blots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2006, 02:17 PM   #28
nicfit
invito al cielo

who else thought the musical episode was brilliant?.

---nicfit rises his hand.both hands,actually-

that episode was amazing..and damn,that demon danced sooo good...whedon wrote music and lyrics for every song,too...."walk trough the fire"...ha ha,i think i'll watch it again soon (i have all 7 series on dvd...me=geek,ha ha,bad rep points coming my way...)

so,on a side note,since i think opening a new thread about buffy would be a bit too much,would you guys/girl mind listing your favorite characters?
Old 05.31.2006, 02:24 PM   #29
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
you fuckers are interfering wiht my work!!!!!!!

please, i gotta finish a project. the musical episode was hilarious of course and one of my favorite ones, even though i generally despise the musical genre.

before i continue i must say the 4th season is weak but "hush" was one of the top episodes ever...

anyway here are the lyrics of my favorite number in that show. cracks me up! and with the music it's just great

I'll Never Tell
(Anya) This is the man that I plan to entangle, isn't he fine?
My claim to fame was to maim and to mangle, vengeance was mine!
But I'm out of the biz, the name I made I'll trade for his.
The only trouble is ... I'll never tell.

(Xander) She is the one, she's such wonderful fun, such passion and grace.
Warm in the night, when I'm right in her tight ... embrace. Tight embrace!
I'll never let her go. The love we've known can only grow.
There's just one thing that...no. I'll never tell.
(both) Cuz there's nothing to tell.

(Anya) He snores.
(Xander) She wheezes.
(Anya) Say housework and he freezes.
(Xander) She eats these skeezy cheeses that I can't describe.
(Anya) I talk, he breezes.
(Xander) She doesn't know what pleases.
(Anya) His penis got diseases from a Chumash Tribe!

(both) The vibe gets kind of scary.
(Xander) Like she thinks I'm ordinary.
(Anya) Like it's all just temporary.
(Xander) Like her toes are kinda hairy.
(both) But it's all very well.
Cuz God knows I'll never tell!

(Anya) When things get rough, he just hides behind his Buffy.
Now look, he's gettin' huffy.
Cuz he knows that I know.

(Xander) She clings, she's needy, she's also really greedy.
She never...
(Anya) His eyes are beady!
(Xander) This is my verse, hello? She...
(Anya) Look at me! I'm dancing crazy!

(both) You know
(Xander) You're quite the charmer
(Anya) My knight in armor
(Xander) You're the cutest of the Scoobies,
with your lips as red as rubies,
And your firm yet supple tight embrace!

(Anya) He's swell.
(Xander) She's sweller.
(Anya) He'll always be my feller.
(Xander) That's why I'll never tell her that I'm petrified.
(Anya) I've read this tale, there's wedding then betrayal.
I know there'll come the day I'll want to run and hide.

(both) I lied, I said it's easy.
I've tried, but there's these fears I can't quell.
(Xander) Is she looking for a pot-of-gold?
(Anya) Will I look good when I've gotten old?
(Xander) Will our lives become too stressful
if I'm never that successful?
(Anya) When I get so worn and wrinkly
that I look like David Brinkley?
(Xander) Am I crazy?
(Anya) Am I dreamin'?
(Xander) Am I marrying a demon?
(both) We could really raise the beam
in making a marriage a Hell.
So thank God I'll never tell.
I swear that I'll never tell.

(Xander) My lips are sealed.
(Anya) I take the fifth!
(Xander) Nothin' to see! Move it along!
(Anya) I'll never tell!
Old 05.31.2006, 02:27 PM   #30
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Favorite Buffy Charcter-Well isn't it obvious? Faith

Favorite Angel Character-Winifred "Fred" Burkle Aww, yeah okay, I've got a bit of a thing for Amy Acker, she's gorgeous and was brilliant on "Angel", her death scene in "A Hole in the World" SLAYS (hehe) me every time. Which reminds me, back to the the actors/actresses we like thread.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2006, 02:41 PM   #31
nicfit
invito al cielo

!@#$%! if hush is the episode where strange demons steal the voice of sunnydale's inhabitants it is one of the greatest ever...
Old 05.31.2006, 04:38 PM   #32
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
!@#$%! if hush is the episode where strange demons steal the voice of sunnydale's inhabitants it is one of the greatest ever...

yes man that's the one, & the demons are "the gentlemen" & they float a few inches above ground in their creepy tuxedos.

the whole episode is silent & that was a fucking feat of television art

& the funnies moment to me is when giles asks how to kill them & buffy ... ha ha ha-- that joke is visual & can't be explained (& i wont spoil)
Old 05.31.2006, 05:21 PM   #33
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
hush is fucking genius.

fave characters: FAITH (well, eliza dushku more than faith, but she was a fine character), willow, spike and drusilla (together).
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2006, 06:47 PM   #34
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

oh fucking fuck, drusilla is amazing. spike is fucking hilarious too!! i love those 2 kooks...

Old 05.31.2006, 07:02 PM   #35
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
my favourite character is cordellia, as she is by far the funniest. i also like spike, the mayor and andrew. and willow before she turned into a hippy earth-mother dyke.

i thought the musical episode was ok, but it's nowhere near my favourite, that would be the episode where andrew tries to make a documentary about buffy. or any of the high school episodes that have good xander/cordelia banter.

best season = 7, 3 & 2 in that order
worst charcter = glory then oz or tara
worst season = 5
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2006, 07:07 PM   #36
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
...willow before she turned into a hippy earth-mother dyke.

amen to that.

i also think that spike wasn't as good a character after drusilla left him and he started to be replacement angel (although the episode where he returns to sunnydale and kidnaps willow and xander to make him a spell for him top regain drusilla is one of my favorites).

i like the band candy episode a lot. that one is classic.

season three is posibly my fave.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2006, 08:55 PM   #37
blots
little trouble girl

blots ain't too shabbyblots ain't too shabby
"Hush" is indeed excellent. That and "The Body" from Season 5 were the two I think that could have won an Emmy, "Hush" may have even been nominated. I would probably rank the seasons like this: 3, 2, 1, 6, 5, 7, 4. Season 7 I liked more when I went back and watched it on DVD than on TV, but I wasn't a big fan of the ending or the Slayerettes. Also, Anya might have been my favorite Buffy character (Dawn probably my least favorite). I think Season 6 is underrated. I didn't really like Tara until I saw the musical episode. Drusilla reminds me of this Patti Smith cover:

blots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2006, 09:03 PM   #38
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
oh man i forgot dawn. she's one of the worst things of all time.
also, i liked spike a lot more after he loses his powers, when he realises he loves buffy it absolutely hilarious.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2006, 03:34 AM   #39
nicfit
invito al cielo

ha ha,i think dawn was "needed" (other than for plot's needs)to create a bond with younger viewers...i mean,7 years are a quite huge gap,so she was a character younger people could relate to (all the "psycho-logical teenage bullsh*t"),and maybe become new fans.
drusilla is great.
spike is great,but not all the time.
and i absolutely love the chinese potential slayer.giles drawings to communicate with her and her banter are amazingly funny.
ah ah,there are a bit too many spoilers on this thread,but i guess it's run by actual bufy fans rather than curious people,
!@#$%! , i wasn't sure about that title ("hush") beacause of the italian translation...aaaaaaaaaw,i have yet to see most of the episodes with joss's commentary ....
Old 06.01.2006, 06:47 AM   #40
nicfit
invito al cielo

and here are the gentlemen

classy people

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth