Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Post a Picture of Yourself
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.07.2006, 10:26 AM   #2221
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I get it, but I was laid off. Sometimes you get it after being fired, but it depends on the reason. I have gotten it after being fired before. You can even get it in some cases if you quit; I was going to get it after quitting a job about 10 years ago (very extreme circumstances), but I found work before I started drawing Unemployment checks. I can live on a little less money for a while; it's been over a decade since I have been unemployed and I am kind of enjoying this short respite.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.07.2006, 10:31 AM   #2222
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I get it, but I was laid off. Sometimes you get it after being fired, but it depends on the reason. I have gotten it after being fired before. You can even get it in some cases if you quit; I was going to get it after quitting a job about 10 years ago (very extreme circumstances), but I found work before I started drawing Unemployment checks. I can live on a little less money for a while; it's been over a decade since I have been unemployed and I am kind of enjoying this short respite.

I was unemployed for about two months after working for a couple years in my first job in Minneapolis. That was back in the early 80s. Minneapolis was still a great city, and even though my unemployment checks reduced my income a little, those were two of the best months I've ever enjoyed. Very relaxing. Had a lot of time to get out into the city and do and see the things that my 9-5 always kept me from.
gmku is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.07.2006, 10:36 AM   #2223
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Hey, that's where I live!
Old 07.07.2006, 10:43 AM   #2224
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Hey, that's where I live!

Seriously!? What part?

We (wife and I) lived in south Minneapolis, just east of I-35, a little north of 50th street (if I'm remembering my locale right). We'd walk over the I-35 bridge and go over to the lakes and wander around. There were some great little record stores around there, too.
Old 07.07.2006, 10:49 AM   #2225
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
Of course, I'd miss my music. I suppose they think you could hang yourself from an iPod or Walkman headphone cord, though. Bummer.
what about wireless headphones :P ?
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.07.2006, 10:51 AM   #2226
Gookid
children of satan

Gookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdTv
The problem with pills is that they numb you to your problems and worries. nothing has really changed, but you feel numb to the anxieties of your life. So, in reality you probably won't change anything about your life or work towards your goals or anything, because these pills have made all appear well, this is the danger because when you awaken to the world, you figure out nothing is different its just these pills you are on. Thats when you want to give up, thats when you just don't care enough to try and thats when a lot of people attempt/commit suicide. People with anxiety disorders and really any other disorder need a pro they can talk with, someone who will be objective and give them sound counsel, they need to learn how to sort things out without popping zoloft every few hours.
This is obviously an opinion of someone who's never dealt with serious, clinical depression.

"Yes, I am a fag. Thanks for noticing!"
--HaydenAsche
Gookid is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.07.2006, 10:51 AM   #2227
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Quote:
Seriously!? What part?

We (wife and I) lived in south Minneapolis, just east of I-35, a little north of 50th street (if I'm remembering my locale right). We'd walk over the I-35 bridge and go over to the lakes and wander around. There were some great little record stores around there, too.

I live right by the River Road, near where Lake street crosses over the Mississippi into St Paul.
There are only a couple of indie record shops left in town; when you lived here they were all over the damn place. The late 80s/early 90s had KILLER record shopping as well. The place I just got laid off from is actually a record store that was a storefront downtown for 18 years (went online-exclusive/vintage records only due to falling record sales everywhere and condo developers taking the building they were in); business is OK, but not enough to sustain both me and my employer. We were the only two people working in the online store. I hope he does OK now; he is one of my best friends.

Now there are only two decent independent stores, one very good punk-oriented collective store run by volunteers and one good vintage/used shop. Makes me sad.

I do love my neighborhood though. My wife and I bought our house right before the market exploded, so it was cheap. We could never have a house of this size in this good of an area if we wanted to buy now!

I like this town. It's cosmopolitan enough to have a few world-class museums and a thriving arts scene both over and underground, yet small enough to feel a real sense of brother/sisterhood with the people you see at all the shows and events.
Old 07.07.2006, 10:55 AM   #2228
gmku
invito al cielo

Sad about the record stores. Truly. Very fond memories of those places. I went to the famous Oarfolk..etc. whatever it was called many times.

Is there still one on Hennepin Ave downtown? I went there a lot. It was very punk oriented. And dudes would stand right outside on the street and try to sell me bags of pot in broad daylight. It was a pretty heady time for a kid from small-town Iowa like me.
Old 07.07.2006, 11:00 AM   #2229
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Quote:
Sad about the record stores. Truly. Very fond memories of those places. I went to the famous Oarfolk..etc. whatever it was called many times.

Is there still one on Hennepin Ave downtown? I went there a lot. It was very punk oriented. And dudes would stand right outside on the street and try to sell me bags of pot in broad daylight. It was a pretty heady time for a kid from small-town Iowa like me.

Downtown was actually gritty back then. It was also a lot more fun. Now that store (Northern Lights/Hot Licks) is long gone, and that whole area has been gentrified and sterilized in the worst way. Hard Rock Cafe even. Thing is, there is still violence down there even though they tried to make it a "family destination;" it just looks way more hideous now.
Oarfolkjokeopus is now called Treehouse and it is one of the few that are left, along with Roadrunner.
Old 07.07.2006, 11:08 AM   #2230
gmku
invito al cielo

Yeah, pretty gritty, all right. I remember taking the bus all over, like into the Lake Street area, getting off, wandering around, taking it downtown, wandering around Hennepin. Later I'd tell my suburban friends about my day and they'd go, "You went WHERE? By yourself? Are you crazy?" I had no idea, really, of any danger. Aside from thinking that big black guys selling pot on the street was pretty wild. But mostly it seemed safe and normal to me.

One of my other memories of downtown is of the sales girls in the expensive department stores. They knocked me out. They all looked like glamorous models, every one of them, and they'd look at me with that sort of cold/hot piercing look that could make you go all weak. It was just downtown that they were like that, not in the suburban shopping malls.

Bummer about Northern Lights. Damn, that kind of thing makes me sad. I hate the urban clean up that destroys everything that gave a place any soul.

Glad to hear Oarfolk survives in some incarnation. Not sure I was ever in Roadrunner. Where's that?
Old 07.07.2006, 11:15 AM   #2231
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Roadrunner probably wasn't open yet when you lived here; I think it started in the late 80s.
And yes, the downtown ladies are Hot. This has not changed.
There are very few areas I do not feel "safe" in, but there are a few.

Oh, and to keep this in the "pic of yourself" category (sorry folks!):

Old 07.07.2006, 11:53 AM   #2232
gmku
invito al cielo

Quote:
Roadrunner probably wasn't open yet when you lived here; I think it started in the late 80s.
And yes, the downtown ladies are Hot. This has not changed.
There are very few areas I do not feel "safe" in, but there are a few.

Oh, and to keep this in the "pic of yourself" category (sorry folks!):

Those are candles on the right? Nice touch.
Old 07.07.2006, 12:36 PM   #2233
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine
further proof that i am either perfect or of an alien race:

remember, i'm from the moon. we wear fucking cool sweaters and shit.

I've generally avoided joining the slavering hoardes, but you are a most attractive lady. Well done in having good genetics.

I feel like I've done a bad thing.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.07.2006, 02:48 PM   #2234
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I've generally avoided joining the slavering hoardes
Good one.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.07.2006, 03:58 PM   #2235
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Ahh. Talking of the cities are we?

The area around Hard Times is a fucking shithole basically. I feel perfectly fine and all there but the annoyance of bums sitting on the main drag asking you for money and shit is annoying. ESPECIALLY, when they don't speak English. Not to sound like a racist or anything but that place is overrun with Simoleans. When I went to see Danielson at Triple Rock a few months ago some of them bought tickets and just came in and watched Danielson. I'm assuming they didn't know who they were.

As far as record stores go I have yet to find that great of one in the cities. I'd much rather mail-order shit than dig through a store full of crap to find something decent.

Anyways, I don't actually know if that was scene day in which that pic was taken. I was inevetibly wearing girl pants which is 'scene' I guess. I believe my friend was 'testing' her scene making for scene day. I recall wearing all black and make-up on scene day. TIGHT BLACK CLOTHES to be exact.

PORKIE, plz put up some more pictures. Hottest guy on the board if I say so myself.
Old 07.07.2006, 04:02 PM   #2236
Style
stalker

Style kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I have found that getting laid is a much more viable option.

Getting laid to keep your job is an even more viable option.
Style is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.07.2006, 04:05 PM   #2237
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
That moving gif of yours is quite irritating,you know?Especially first thing in the morning.Sort it out you bastard.
lmfao
Old 07.07.2006, 04:06 PM   #2238
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Quote:
I have found that getting laid is a much more viable option.

There is plenty of that as well. No loss of energy from working all day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Style
Getting laid to keep your job is an even more viable option.

My old boss is not my type. I mean, seriously not my type.
Old 07.07.2006, 04:07 PM   #2239
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses

Myspace FTW
Old 07.07.2006, 04:21 PM   #2240
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
Ahh. Talking of the cities are we?

The area around Hard Times is a fucking shithole basically. I feel perfectly fine and all there but the annoyance of bums sitting on the main drag asking you for money and shit is annoying. ESPECIALLY, when they don't speak English. Not to sound like a racist or anything but that place is overrun with Simoleans. When I went to see Danielson at Triple Rock a few months ago some of them bought tickets and just came in and watched Danielson. I'm assuming they didn't know who they were.

As far as record stores go I have yet to find that great of one in the cities. I'd much rather mail-order shit than dig through a store full of crap to find something decent.

PORKIE, plz put up some more pictures. Hottest guy on the board if I say so myself.

1. Only hicks and yokels refer to this area as "The Cities."
2. "Simoleans" is slang for "dollars," and misspelled at that. Somalis are people, and yes, there are a lot in that area. They are immigrants, and they have to live somewhere. I think the stench of the Hard Times' clientele is far more objectionable, personally, though I do like the Tall Bikes.
3. There are 3 good record stores: Hymie's (used), Roadrunner and Treehouse. There used to be at least 15, you are just too young and missed the boat. There were many good days in my high school years where we just hopped from store to store. I wish the economy could still support that.
4. While I am hurt that you have chosen to shift your affections to porkmarras, I have to admit that he is a fine hunk of man-meat, and at least you are keeping up your pattern of hitting on guys in their 30s. Good one!
62102109110111 112 1131141151221622126121112 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth