Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page In Utero Appreciation thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.02.2007, 02:54 PM   #41
andrei
expwy. to yr skull

andrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's asses
Clearly one of my incipient favorite albums (actually it was on the top of my fictive list for many years) Recently, i haven't revisited my thoughts very much, but for sure it will always have a special place in my mind. When i first heard it it blown my mind. It was the most radical album i ever heard at that time, but time chages things... In my opinion a really good record and Nirvana's best, but it's a little bit too much to say it's the best record ever (by the way, i don't think such thing exists... there is no best record ever, it's just YOUR favorite record...that's all)
andrei is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.02.2007, 02:56 PM   #42
andrei
expwy. to yr skull

andrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
albini's opriginal production is NOT on In Utero. They had someone else come in and re-master everything after albini was done.

Just a few tracks were remastered. I think just Pennyroyal Tea, H-S Box and dumb. And Albini's original production is available on 12"
andrei is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.02.2007, 02:57 PM   #43
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i knew someone was going to say that.

albini RECORDED the album, that means he made the sounds and captured them on tape (that's what the production credit usually mean), scott litt MIXED those songs and then got mastered. yes, the mastering was smoothed out, and i did mean albini's PRODUCTION, the way he recorded the guitars, the bass and the drums.

contrary to popular belief, i love the production, one of albini's best...besides, the remixing and remastering was just in a couple of songs, not on the whole album.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.02.2007, 03:13 PM   #44
forkimified
bad moon rising

forkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's asses
I've never taken 'Rape Me' to be a literal song about rape. Especially considering the sarcastic/dark sense of humor and use of metaphor that goes through most of his songs. And I've always found it funny when they do happy sad songs or sad happy songs also... oh well, whatever, nevermind.

It's a shame that Nirvana is 'to blame' for lame false-depressed emo bands and Nickelbacks out there... the ones who likes all the pretty songs, and they like to sing along, like to shoot their guns. But they know not what it means.
forkimified is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.02.2007, 03:13 PM   #45
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Albini has distanced himself from that album saying thay made wholesale changes to the mix, thereby altering each and every song from what he recorded.
Old 11.02.2007, 03:17 PM   #47
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
that's cool man. I just have never gotten into it. my 30-something mope-a-holic friends love it though.
Old 11.02.2007, 03:18 PM   #48
forkimified
bad moon rising

forkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's asses
Scott Litt just remixed Heart Shaped Box and All Apologies.

But I'd also read that they squashed the sound of the whole album at the mastering stage, to make it more radio friendly. It was remastered with extra compression and EQ, and whatnot.
Old 11.02.2007, 03:20 PM   #49
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i like it better than the bob rock-like production of nevermind by lightyears. if i wanted to hear something that glossy, i rather listen to the fucking crüe's dr. feelgood (and that's not a very good album either).
Old 11.02.2007, 03:23 PM   #50
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

nevermind on a cassette blasting out of a car sounds pretty good though....

I went to se ethe dr feelgood tour, when a friend won tix on the radio, and man was it craptastic!
Old 11.02.2007, 04:35 PM   #51
forkimified
bad moon rising

Am I the only one who thinks the hidden song on Nevermind is probably the single greatest part of that album?
Old 11.02.2007, 04:42 PM   #52
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

the best thing sure isn't the stupid cover art that's for sure.
Old 11.02.2007, 04:51 PM   #53
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Quote:
nevermind on a cassette blasting out of a car sounds pretty good though....

I went to se ethe dr feelgood tour, when a friend won tix on the radio, and man was it craptastic!

i bet they were, they were pretty bad by then.
Old 11.02.2007, 05:49 PM   #54
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
My 2nd fav album off all time. After Dj Shadow's Endtroducing album.
Good choice for top album.
Old 11.02.2007, 06:55 PM   #55
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
paranoid had nothing to do with air supply. or foreigner, or YES, or prog rock, or any of the disco, or any other fucking shit music in the 70's!!!

it did influence, judass priest, motorhead, iron maiden, etc.

a) who said anything about progressive rock
b) who said judas priest, motorhead, iron maiden were so good?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.02.2007, 07:01 PM   #56
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
This album is by far the best Nirvana album. the rest can't even compare. But where the hell is the bass on this record? That always bothered me. Krist is my fav part of Nirvana.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.02.2007, 07:03 PM   #57
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
i want to listen to this album but keep forgetting. it is a good album and i think its their best
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.02.2007, 07:06 PM   #58
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Im no huge fan of Nirvana apart from In Utero which i have alot of time for, i remember seeing Thurston Moore on one of the various documentaries saying he didnt think they would have been the massive thing they were if it wasnt for Kurts voice, which is pretty fantastic even if you dont like the songs.
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.02.2007, 07:08 PM   #59
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
It might be that I was so massively into them at the time that they were still kicking around, but I love both Nevermind and In Utero in equal measure. Bleach is a good album too, but i prefer those too. They also had to be witnessed playing Nevermind live, if you really think that those songs aren't up to scratch.

I like yr MRI signature, very nice.
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.02.2007, 07:29 PM   #60
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkimified
Am I the only one who thinks the hidden song on Nevermind is probably the single greatest part of that album?

endless nameless is a gem!

in utero has nothing to do with the 21st century. the blueprint for that was carved in stone before that! how can in utero be more influencial than smells like teen spirit in the bigger picture? maybe its my age, i was 14 when i hard nirvana first, i was 19 when in utero came out. i was into sonic youth before i heard nirvana. nevermind bored me to a point but it was like all the people who hated my music now loved my music and wanted me to tape dinosaur albums over their motley crue tapes..... fuck that sheep shit! if an album gives you goosepimples may they be for the right reason, not a fashion statement or a NEW WAVE.......... in utero gave me the pimples because of scentless apprentice and his scream in tha song....... in utero is a classic album of the 20th century, a bookend to a too short career and more importantly a too short life. it was an attempt to see who would be left on board... by the way, many people wanted me to tape motley crue albums over their dinosaur albums a few years lter... i laughed, i pointed and laughed!

for the record... nevermind is an iconic album, it has many wonderful tunes
in utero is a brash horrible album which saved me from disliking an exciting band and to fal in love with them again....
bleach is poor bar 3 or 4 songs, sorry adam but i have to disagree with you, bleach is a poor album........

the rest i dont count as albums proper but side 2 of incesticide (tracks 7 to end for the kidz) is amazing........ aneurysm..... the best nirvana song?????

anyway, im off to my knowitall corner and read my paul gambaccini book on how to be hated by people who think thy know music.........

ill get my coat....i mean anorak!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth