Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café VII
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

 
Thread Tools
Old 06.02.2018, 05:51 PM   #361
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,376
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Louder, the reviews are looking — oddly — kind of negative. Fans seem to be loving t across the board (“OMG the old Ye is back” or some such is on several Youtube reviews), but critics seem to be saying, “He didn’t apologize or address the Trump thing, so I’m going to review his half-baked politics instead of this obviously brilliant album.”

Makes me nervous. But whatever. Album is objectively good.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2018, 06:49 PM   #362
louder
invito al cielo
 
louder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,462
louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Louder, the reviews are looking — oddly — kind of negative. Fans seem to be loving t across the board (“OMG the old Ye is back” or some such is on several Youtube reviews), but critics seem to be saying, “He didn’t apologize or address the Trump thing, so I’m going to review his half-baked politics instead of this obviously brilliant album.”

Makes me nervous. But whatever. Album is objectively good.
Sad, but I stopped taking them seriously when they crowned those mediocre SZA and Cardi B albums.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2018, 09:45 PM   #363
louder
invito al cielo
 
louder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,462
louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
This album was the perfect response to everything in the last couple months..
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2018, 10:18 PM   #364
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,376
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
This album was the perfect response to everything in the last couple months..

Nah. I disagree.

If people are looking to the album for a response to Trump/slavery, they’re lookkng in the wrong place. It’s a great album that almost makes that awful stupid bullshit worth it.

Did you hear he scrapped the album he was working on and made this in the time since the TMZ interview? He threw this together in a month, and it’s his most concise effort in a while. That’s something.

Wonder what those other songs were like though.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2018, 10:38 PM   #365
louder
invito al cielo
 
louder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,462
louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah. That album probably wasn’t going to be as good as this one. Kanye said that he had to ask himself if those songs make him feel something, if they make him cry. Since he scrapped it, the answer was clearly no.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2018, 12:28 AM   #366
guest
the end of the ugly
 
guest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: melbourne
Posts: 935
guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
interesting record.....re-crystallises my thoughts on him, where it's not voyeuristically looking into some genius process but instead something far more pedestrian, a very regular person thrust into a resolutely irregular position whether by accident or as a byproduct of ego/self-validation through a system that he knowingly realises is toxic? trying to watch him work it out isn't some act of auteurism and to look at it that way I think negates a lot of the power of what he's doing.

regardless this is the first time where the dichotomy of him as a person (not as an artist) is actually appreciable, like the internal conflicts that made him so difficult to negotiate/appreciate are actively what we're listening to now. for a 23 minute record it's got a fuck-tonne of filler but ghost town and violent crimes together are very, very powerful.

the whole genius debate is moot but this much is clear when comparing him to other contemporary popular hip-hop artists: he shits on them.


not as good as the last record but combined these are by far his most interesting albums.
__________________
 
guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2018, 08:22 AM   #367
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,376
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
interesting record.....re-crystallises my thoughts on him, where it's not voyeuristically looking into some genius process but instead something far more pedestrian, a very regular person thrust into a resolutely irregular position whether by accident or as a byproduct of ego/self-validation through a system that he knowingly realises is toxic? trying to watch him work it out isn't some act of auteurism and to look at it that way I think negates a lot of the power of what he's doing.

regardless this is the first time where the dichotomy of him as a person (not as an artist) is actually appreciable, like the internal conflicts that made him so difficult to negotiate/appreciate are actively what we're listening to now. for a 23 minute record it's got a fuck-tonne of filler but ghost town and violent crimes together are very, very powerful.

the whole genius debate is moot but this much is clear when comparing him to other contemporary popular hip-hop artists: he shits on them.


not as good as the last record but combined these are by far his most interesting albums.

Wow. This is kinda of... nice. You’re not usually nice. Especially about things I like. Cheers.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2018, 02:37 PM   #368
louder
invito al cielo
 
louder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,462
louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
The title is “ye” because there’s no God complex, right? He got rid of the “-ezus”. I also think the title is in lowercase letters to put an emphasis on how he’s humbled down.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2018, 02:49 PM   #369
louder
invito al cielo
 
louder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,462
louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
More thoughts..

On “Ghost Town”, Kid Cudi portrays the depression phase and 070 Shake portrays the manic phase - in the state of euphoria. When “Violent Crimes” comes on, the manic eposode is over and Kanye cools down and goes back home to chill with his fam. However, the anxiety is still there as he wonders about the future of his daughter.

A similar transition is present on “Yikes” but in a different way; Kanye goes from feeling anxiety on the hook to having grandiose thoughts on the outro.

“All Mine” is about Kanye feeling hypersexual which is another symptom of bipolar disorder.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2018, 05:33 PM   #370
louder
invito al cielo
 
louder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,462
louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
So Drake just vanished?
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2018, 05:39 PM   #371
louder
invito al cielo
 
louder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,462
louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
How Pusha-T’s “The Story of Adidon” Viciously Undercuts Drake’s Celebrity
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...akes-celebrity
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2018, 07:30 PM   #372
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,376
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
More thoughts..

On “Ghost Town”, Kid Cudi portrays the depression phase and 070 Shake portrays the manic phase - in the state of euphoria. When “Violent Crimes” comes on, the manic eposode is over and Kanye cools down and goes back home to chill with his fam. However, the anxiety is still there as he wonders about the future of his daughter.

A similar transition is present on “Yikes” but in a different way; Kanye goes from feeling anxiety on the hook to having grandiose thoughts on the outro.

“All Mine” is about Kanye feeling hypersexual which is another symptom of bipolar disorder.

He explained the meaning behind behind the title. “Kanye” means “Only One,” and “Ye” means “one.” He’s trying to communicate that he’s everyone, anyone. That’s what he says anyway.

Think you’re onto something with the absence of the God complex, and that’s part of the thesis on this shit you know I’m writing.

But I’ve been working all week and all weekend and I’m fucking tired of writing and doing anything other than watching Westworld and going to bed.

More later
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2018, 07:31 PM   #373
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,376
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
How Pusha-T’s “The Story of Adidon” Viciously Undercuts Drake’s Celebrity
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...akes-celebrity

Haha.
Did you pick up on the Drake subs on “ye?” They’re there. They’re subtle but they’re there.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2018, 06:17 AM   #374
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,376
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Pitchfork viciously tears Ye apart, gives it a 7.1 for some reason, and talks about MAGA and slavery and disappointment for like 10 graphs. Songs are an afterthought.

Fuck.

Oh well, he asked for it. Repeatedly.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2018, 07:09 AM   #375
louder
invito al cielo
 
louder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,462
louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Haha.
Did you pick up on the Drake subs on “ye?” They’re there. They’re subtle but they’re there.
Of course.

Oh, I got dirt on my name, I got white on my beard
I had debt on my books, it's been a shaky-ass year
Let me make this clear, so all y'all see
I don't take advice from people less successful than me, huh?
Ain't no love lost, but the gloves off
And we up in this bitch until they turn the club off
Had to tell the dogs, "Turn the snubs off"
Plus they already mad that the Cubs lost
(The Lord still shines on you)
(Believe it or not)
These two wrongs'll right you
(Believe it or not, the Lord still shines on you)
I was too grown in high school
(Believe it or not)
The true soul of Ice Cube
Too close to snipe you (the Lord still shines on you)
Truth told, I like you
(Believe it or not, the Lord still shines on you)
Too bold to type you
(Believe it or not)
Too rich to fight you
Calm down, you light skin!
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2018, 07:57 AM   #376
evollove
invito al cielo
 
evollove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,879
evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Talib! No!! He got metoo-ed.

I don't know if he actually did anything. Interesting drama tho.

https://pitchfork.com/news/talib-kwe...assment-claim/

http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2018/06/t...-paying-debts/
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2018, 11:19 AM   #377
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo
 
Rob Instigator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In the land of the Instigator
Posts: 27,730
Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Only track bangin in my foreign whip is PLUG WALK baby!!!!!!! https://youtu.be/ToY6sjSV8h8
__________________
RXTT's Intellectual Journey - my new blog where I talk about all the books I read.
Rob Instigator is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2018, 01:32 PM   #378
louder
invito al cielo
 
louder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,462
louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Talib! No!! He got metoo-ed.

I don't know if he actually did anything. Interesting drama tho.

https://pitchfork.com/news/talib-kwe...assment-claim/

http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2018/06/t...-paying-debts/
Already a sad situation, no matter who loses..
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2018, 03:48 PM   #379
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,376
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Of course.

Oh, I got dirt on my name, I got white on my beard
I had debt on my books, it's been a shaky-ass year
Let me make this clear, so all y'all see
I don't take advice from people less successful than me, huh?
Ain't no love lost, but the gloves off
And we up in this bitch until they turn the club off
Had to tell the dogs, "Turn the snubs off"
Plus they already mad that the Cubs lost
(The Lord still shines on you)
(Believe it or not)
These two wrongs'll right you
(Believe it or not, the Lord still shines on you)
I was too grown in high school
(Believe it or not)
The true soul of Ice Cube
Too close to snipe you (the Lord still shines on you)
Truth told, I like you
(Believe it or not, the Lord still shines on you)
Too bold to type you
(Believe it or not)
Too rich to fight you
Calm down, you light skin!

Those lyrics are WAY too good for the shit ass review the pitchfork writer gave.
Wow.

There’s another subtle sub in the first track. Listen for Drake’s signature flow. Kanye apes it for a sec. deliberately.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2018, 04:43 PM   #380
louder
invito al cielo
 
louder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,462
louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Those lyrics are WAY too good for the shit ass review the pitchfork writer gave.
Wow.

There’s another subtle sub in the first track. Listen for Drake’s signature flow. Kanye apes it for a sec. deliberately.
That review was probably the worst I've ever read from Pitchfork, and that says a lot. It read like a 0 out of 10. NYC Ghosts & Flowers treatment.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
9
161718 19 20212229 > »
-->

Thread Tools

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth