Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.19.2016, 03:03 PM   #20261
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses

I forgot how good this movie is

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2016, 06:13 PM   #20262
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

The Descent

Takes a while to get going but once it does it really picks up. I like the whole idea and the fact in never tries to explain anything. Nothing amazing but definitely a cut above most recent(ish) horror movies.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2016, 09:47 PM   #20263
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666

Blue Velvet

On a bit of a Lynch marathon at the moment. Still blows me away, maybe even more now than ever.

This is and always will be one of my absolute favorite movies of all time. Lynch's best if you ask me. Fucking genius. Also, hilarious... not a lot of people see the hilarity in it, and I've freaked out a few girlfriends by breaking out into full LOLZ during the movie, but it's the best of coffee-black comedy... mixed, of course, with almost unwatchable horrorjfic awfulness. But DAMN what a movie.

Dennis Hopper needs to play Donald Trump in an Oliver Stone movie some day.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2016, 09:49 PM   #20264
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

The Descent

Takes a while to get going but once it does it really picks up. I like the whole idea and the fact in never tries to explain anything. Nothing amazing but definitely a cut above most recent(ish) horror movies.

Love this. One of my favorite recentish horror movies too. I think it is amazing at times. The setting itself (God, the claustrophobic in me was shitting glass during this movie!) is possibly the most terrifying thing in the film.

The sequel is worth watching too. Not sure it's anywhere near as good, but it does the job.
Old 12.19.2016, 10:04 PM   #20265
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I like the first half of Descent way more than the second half. Claustrophobia was the best monster in that movie.
Old 12.19.2016, 10:34 PM   #20266
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Just started The Prestige
Old 12.20.2016, 01:20 AM   #20267
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
This is and always will be one of my absolute favorite movies of all time. Lynch's best if you ask me. Fucking genius. Also, hilarious... not a lot of people see the hilarity in it, and I've freaked out a few girlfriends by breaking out into full LOLZ during the movie, but it's the best of coffee-black comedy... mixed, of course, with almost unwatchable horrorjfic awfulness. But DAMN what a movie.

It's his best film I've seen (still yet to watch The Straight Story and Inland Empire). Not sure about the lolz, though.

Quote:
Dennis Hopper needs to play Donald Trump in an Oliver Stone movie some day.

Fuck yes! Genius idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I like the first half of Descent way more than the second half. Claustrophobia was the best monster in that movie.

I do know what you mean. My main issue with the 1st half wasn't so much the long build up but the fact I found all the main characters pretty irritating, so once the horror element kicked in more fully, the film was able to focus more on that than them. But yes, the whole setting and situation was creepy as fuck.
Old 12.20.2016, 03:17 PM   #20268
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Saw the LOGAN trailer at the rogue One. It seemed less and less about the OLD MAN LOGAN storyline from the comics.
Old 12.20.2016, 03:18 PM   #20269
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I have never enjoyed a Lynch film, beyond watching Eraserhead on the L...l....l..l...S...s..s...s..D...d..d..d..d..d... .
Old 12.20.2016, 03:19 PM   #20270
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I find them pretentious in the extreme, slightly racist, and fucking dull in their indeterminacy.
Old 12.20.2016, 03:20 PM   #20271
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Saw the LOGAN trailer at the rogue One. It seemed less and less about the OLD MAN LOGAN storyline from the comics.

I think it looks awesome. I can't wait.
Old 12.20.2016, 04:05 PM   #20272
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
slightly racist

Not sure I've ever noticed that.
Old 12.20.2016, 08:59 PM   #20273
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I have never enjoyed a Lynch film, beyond watching Eraserhead on the L...l....l..l...S...s..s...s..D...d..d..d..d..d... .

Too bad. That's a real shame.

Mullholand Drive was named the greatest horror movie of the ’00s by NPR or some shit in this massive list about a year ago. I'm not sure it is a horror movie, and by horror standards I think there have certainly been better. But it is a GREAT fucking film.

As is Blue Velvet, Fire Walk With Me, shit, even Wild at Heart and Lost Highway, to a lesser extent.

Dune is shit of course. And I actually don't like Eraserhead much, even though I respect it. Watching it is a bit of a chore. Also pretty mightily disturbing.

But Blue Velvet is a cinematic masterpiece.
Old 12.20.2016, 09:03 PM   #20274
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Not sure I've ever noticed that.

Is he taking about the Native American bits in Twin Peaks, maybe? If not I'm stumped too.

But you said you didn't see the hilarity in Blue Velvet, and that makes me suspicious. It's clearly meant to be absurd and ridiculously melodramatic right up until it's NOT, and shit gets seriously fucked up. To me this is clear as day. Just like all the hilarious moments on Twin Peaks that take place between the instances of abject horror and depravity.

Please don't think I'm a psycho for thinking Blue Velvet has some laugh out loud funny shit.
Old 12.20.2016, 09:41 PM   #20275
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Mulholland Drive has some fucking scary scenes for a non horror movie though.
Old 12.20.2016, 11:49 PM   #20276
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Mulholland Drive has some fucking scary scenes for a non horror movie though.

Oh shit yeah man. The last minute of that film has to rank among the most terrifying things I've ever seen on screen.

Fun fact: after Mulholland Drive for the first time, I was so determined to unravel the plot and understand all the symbolism that I actually dug up a film school dissertation on the thing on an academic research database, read the whole goddamn in a night, and watched the movie again the next day.

Little did I — or the poor grad student who'd devoted got knows how long to that paper — know that the film is not a puzzle to be "solved." I think I actually read an interview with Lynch where he admitted that he didn't know the answers to the "how?" and "why?" questions the film leaves you with. It's just... fucking Mullholand Drive. Bitch. Period.
Old 12.21.2016, 12:56 AM   #20277
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
after multiple viewings after the years i've come to see mulholland drive as naomi's bardo trip after she offs herself in guilt for the murder she ordered

it's just told retrospectively, so it starts post-death, then shows you how she got dead

entiendes?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2016, 01:18 AM   #20278
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:

But you said you didn't see the hilarity in Blue Velvet, and that makes me suspicious. It's clearly meant to be absurd and ridiculously melodramatic right up until it's NOT, and shit gets seriously fucked up. To me this is clear as day.

I get the absurdity but not the hilarity. I mean there's the whole hokey Lumbertown stuff which is kind of funny but not enough to get me 'breaking out into full LOLZ'. Although admittedly there's only a handful of films that've had me doing that, period.
Old 12.21.2016, 01:30 AM   #20279
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i don't remember any great hilarity in blue velvet outside of fuck heineken-- pabst blue ribbon but even that happens in the context of great menace

oh, and then, the bird is fake, lol. that?

i should rewatch that-- only seen it twice and it's been a while
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2016, 08:21 AM   #20280
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
after multiple viewings after the years i've come to see mulholland drive as naomi's bardo trip after she offs herself in guilt for the murder she ordered

it's just told retrospectively, so it starts post-death, then shows you how she got dead

entiendes?

yeah. I watched it a few times over the course of a month when it first came out and repeated viewings make it seem a lot more straight forward than at first. "There is no band." And then she's alone. That kind of stuff. And I mean, just the whole FANTASY of a lot of the scenes. The whole L.A. movie star dream thing. And then that ending. I feel like 75% of the story is told in those last moments.

Scariest part to me is the man behind Winky's scene. The total terror on the dude's face talking about that nightmare. My heart pounded when they decide to go look back there. I don't know. It was more the idea that what he dreamed could be happening in real life. Even if it wasn't anything to actually be scared of, if that makes sense? That weird feeling of 'this is really happening'?

I just really love that movie. I've been a fan of Lynch's work for nearly 20 years, and when Mulholland came out I was pretty at the height of my fandom and even then I was like "woah. I think this just became my favorite Lynch movie."
5149149641004101110121013 1014 101510161017102410641114 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth