Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Radiohead, A Moon Shaped Pool: new album, out now
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.09.2016, 08:57 PM   #41
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I also think it's worth noting that, in my opinion, Broken Social Scene's (hahah remember them? No? aw, that's cool) You Forgot it in People kicked the almighty shit out of OKC. It's not even the same breed of album, but something about it makes me think of OKC, and how comparatively basic it sounds.

Radiohead's days of being bullet-proof (haha... eh?) are quite over. For those of us who experiences their "glory days" first hand, their continued existence is going to be a bittersweet thing. We'll watch them repeat themselves, get praise for releasing albums that wouldn't have stirred us from our popcan bubblers if they were released when we were kids. But they are very much of our generation, and I'm rooting for them. I'm willing to allow them to go ahead and make generally mediocre albjms, as long as each one contains 2-3 cuts that just kill it. What more can you expect from a non-Sonic Youth band in their third decade of operation?

I like the new album just fine.

And the more I hear "Burn the Witch" the more I love it. Why is this not a good song exactly? I love that buzz that kicks in after the intro. Love it. Even though it's so Radioheady that I shouldn't even notice it at this point.

Anyway, I'm going with an early score of 4/5. We'll see how it progresses from there.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2016, 10:39 PM   #42
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I think radiohead hype died after Hail to the Thief and while they are obviously "critically acclaimed" i don't think they have been all that hyped.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2016, 01:32 AM   #43
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian

Anyway, I'm going with an early score of 4/5. We'll see how it progresses from there.
Please keep us posted.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2016, 03:40 AM   #44
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Please keep us posted.

Haha

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2016, 08:02 AM   #45
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Btw, that album is (save for a couple of nice moments) boring as fuck. Grandpa music.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2016, 09:47 AM   #46
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Please keep us posted.

I absolutely will.
Old 05.10.2016, 01:31 PM   #47
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
Btw, that album is (save for a couple of nice moments) boring as fuck. Grandpa music.

Well in many respects that has more or less been radiohead for the past 15 years.. you either dig it or you won't but it is what it is..

Update: My refund went through but I forgot the card at home, looking totally forward to downloading the record tonight and listening to it with my post-work celebratory brews

The original single Burn the Witch SUCKS!!! The other single is good.. I hope the album is more the other.. I admit to having been totally disappointed with King of Limbs, having NOT bothered to even pick up a copy for over a year until a friend of mine not only made me listen to he brought me a CDR.. even then I was like.... hmmmmmm.. until I found that Live from the Basement disc!!!!

So I am hoping that this will be better experience otherwise I will have to wait for a live version to circulate like I did last time.. To be sure I can appreciate the studio version of TKOL now but not initially

Old 05.10.2016, 05:38 PM   #48
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
it's too late for the critics. regardless if you or I like Radiohead or not. they made it into yr conscious long ago and travelling down this worthless digital highway apart of this interconnected popist viewpoint. the evidence is in this thread now, if you take this with a grain of salt. it's just a random observation. which it is. you could say I like their music or that the internet has changed; upset by whether life is linear to you or not.

I do think their Austin City Limits performance is the best Austin City Limits performance.
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2016, 07:33 PM   #49
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
it's too late for the critics. regardless if you or I like Radiohead or not. they made it into yr conscious long ago and travelling down this worthless digital highway apart of this interconnected popist viewpoint. the evidence is in this thread now, if you take this with a grain of salt. it's just a random observation. which it is. you could say I like their music or that the internet has changed; upset by whether life is linear to you or not.

I do think their Austin City Limits performance is the best Austin City Limits performance.
See you should focus on music when you're drinking after work, much better than your drunk trash talking

Old 05.10.2016, 10:16 PM   #50
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Well in many respects that has more or less been radiohead for the past 15 years.. you either dig it or you won't but it is what it is..

Update: My refund went through but I forgot the card at home, looking totally forward to downloading the record tonight and listening to it with my post-work celebratory brews

The original single Burn the Witch SUCKS!!! The other single is good.. I hope the album is more the other.. I admit to having been totally disappointed with King of Limbs, having NOT bothered to even pick up a copy for over a year until a friend of mine not only made me listen to he brought me a CDR.. even then I was like.... hmmmmmm.. until I found that Live from the Basement disc!!!!

So I am hoping that this will be better experience otherwise I will have to wait for a live version to circulate like I did last time.. To be sure I can appreciate the studio version of TKOL now but not initially

Same. All around, same. Except I did buy TKOL when it came out, but I was basically like "uuuuughhghhhhhhh" — it just did nothing for me.

The From the Basement version is just inarguably better. The studio version didn't contain "Staircase" or "The Daily Mail," which I just don't fucking get. If they weren't done with the songs, they should have waited to release the album. And why the hell wasn't "Supercollider" on TKOL? WHY?

Upon release, it was their worst fucking album since Pablo. Had nothing going for it except for "Give up the Ghost."

When I heard From the Basement, I was floored. I think they should just stop printing the studio version and replace it with FTB, even though I too learned to appreciate the studio version after Basement showed me the real strength behind those songs.

I disagree about Burn the Witch. I like it more and more every day. Daydreaming, on the other hand, was glorious at first but now I have a hard time telling when it ends and Decks Dark begins. It's still one of the better songs on the album (a couple of them are just flat out snoozers) but I feel like it's missing something.

"Ful Stop" is my favorite song on the new one, no question. That mother just cranks. Love it.
Old 05.10.2016, 10:18 PM   #51
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

Wait does "it's too late for the critics" mean?
Old 05.10.2016, 10:26 PM   #52
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

finally downloading.. on my third beer.. looking forward to this

Old 05.10.2016, 10:46 PM   #53
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Wait does "it's too late for the critics" mean?

do you really want me to explain my non-linear thoughts on this? there is no use in getting anything clear out of me ever even when I've explained myself very very clearly. my point is, it doesn't matter. Radiohead have moved beyond criticism.

now, if you ask me any more fucking questions I might just.....well, answer them back.
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2016, 11:28 PM   #54
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

First reactions..

Burn the witch is actually a tolerable song when hearing on my stereo instead of my laptop where the layers and nuance didn't come through as much.

On to the next track.. and next beer

Old 05.10.2016, 11:29 PM   #55
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
my point is, it doesn't matter. Radiohead have moved beyond criticism.

now, if you ask me any more fucking questions I might just.....well, answer them back.
Word

Old 05.10.2016, 11:33 PM   #56
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Ok that transition from burn the witch into next track totally needed to go together. If you like radiohead this is good shit. Like earthy coffee on a crisp and cold Portland winter morning..
Desert Island comes out of no where like how New Potato Caboose emerges from the sonic chaos of the end of That's It For The Other One on Grateful Dead Anthem to the Sun. And the transition from Decks Dark noise too Desert Island's acoustic guitar creates that same mushroom trip effect, leaving you bewildered but curious..
Ful Stop reminds me of the score from The Terminator (1984).. it could use some guitars but then again it sounds like they might be using them in that swirling noise.. oh wait halfway there's the guitar!!

Alright I'm totally into this record. Sometimes it has that campy feeling that is in vogue in English music lately that totally ruined that new PJ for me but not too the point of killing it yet.

I'm liking this album in immediate sense even more than ln Rainbows. It feels more Hail to the Thief to me. And its weird, this is the album i feared, where they finally just stop using guitars but oddly i still really like it!

Before Hail To TheThief came out i read a Spin review that was hyper critical and said it was too electronic driven and not enough guitar work.. i remember being legitimately nervous that i was not going to like therecord. The day it came out i went and bought it (because this is what folks did in those days) and i remember laughing hysterically to myself at how wrong that review was. Hail to the thief is a guitar driven record and some of theirbest guitar work..

My barometer for radiohead is guitars. I always loved radiohead for their guitars. This record so far epitomizes every thing i potentially don't like about radiohead yet i find myself particularly digging it

Old 05.10.2016, 11:58 PM   #57
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

This record is very much a composition. These songs would be pointless and even sound bad out of sequence and transition from each other. I miss records like that

Old 05.10.2016, 11:59 PM   #58
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

And no im not even buzzing it yet (drinking light beer tonight) just totally loving this record even if that makes me lame

Old 05.11.2016, 12:29 AM   #59
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Shit!! It just ended and I'm like, "no i want more!" But i don't have time tonight for another go. Tomorrow on the metro is gonna be a great morning

Old 05.11.2016, 01:46 AM   #60
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
I'm a huge Radiohead fan. This thread is hugely embarrassing. Holy fuck what has happened to this forum?
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth