Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Let's talk about shoegaze other than MBV.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.20.2008, 09:24 AM   #41
sarramkrop

They were terrible, but yes, they were kind of associated with that scene at the start of their career. What a terrible band, seriously.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2008, 09:26 AM   #42
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I saw them supporting someone. I can't remember who, but do recall thinking that it would be so depressing to suddenly be struck down by a heart attack and that the last thing I'd have seen was Catherine Wheel. Fortunately I lived to tell that story.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2008, 09:27 AM   #43
sarramkrop

Chapterhouse? Ew!
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2008, 09:27 AM   #44
sarramkrop

Scorpio Rising?

Darkside?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2008, 09:29 AM   #45
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I could never hate Chapterhouse as much as they probably deserved. I had an EP of thiers which, while no classic, wasn't THAT bad.

What about that dodgy outfit put together by Jim Beattie from the original Primal Scream. Absolute rubbish, as I remember.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2008, 09:36 AM   #46
sarramkrop

Revolver! HA!

Gosh, I even had a cd single of theirs! I couldn't tell you for the love of sweet jesus what they sounded like because they were unremarkable, to say the least. Do you remember a short-lived band called Sweet Jesus on Creation? They had a foxy lady in their ranks.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2008, 09:40 AM   #47
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
We've already had a thread or three like this. And while those threads may have mentioned MBV in some aspect, no one is forced to talk about them. Makes me wish we just had sticky threads focusing on genres, like on the TRONIKS board. That way we don't have thousands of threads like this. I'm not trying to be a dick, I just find it odd that no one knows how to use the search function on here. Here is my list from that November 2007 thread:

Astrobrite
Band of Susans [not totally shoegaze but has some elements]
Catherine Wheel
Coaltar of the Deepers ["breakstroke"-era; they turned into a pop/death metal band later]
Chapterhouse
Curve
Fennesz [which is more like glitch-shoegaze]
Fleeting Joys
Galaxie 500
Hum [space rock/shoegaze]
Jesu ["shoegaze metal"]
Loop
Loveliescrushing [HIGHLY RECCOMENDED]
Lush [early; their later stuff sounds like Placebo or something]
M83 [some]
On Air library
Ride
Rumahaskib [i know i spelled that wrong; it's more electronic-inflected shoegaze type stuff]
Slowdive
Spacemen 3
Spiritualized [more space rock than shoegaze but definitely has that vibe]
STAR
Starflyer 59
Stars of the Lid [only their first work approaches shoegaze; for the most part, it's just really really beautiful ambient, but it's worth seeking out]
Swervedriver
Swirl
Swirlies
Velvet Cacoon [some; they went from shoegaze to black metal and apparently made some fake albums as well -- whatever]
Verve

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2008, 09:45 AM   #48
sarramkrop

Fennesz is glitch shoegaze. HA! Quite a few bands on that list are not shoegaze at all, unless you sinmply don't understand how the term developed from journalistic nonsense into vague state of intent marked by certain sounds elements shared by not that big a scene of bands. AWWWRIGHT?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2008, 09:47 AM   #49
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Fennesz have an overwhelming shoegaze sound with glitchy electronics. If you like the shoegaze genre, you'll be into that stuff. I'm simply saying: it's not a guitar, bass, drums, vocals band. Neither is Loveliescrushing, which is simply guitar layers and nothing more (except the vocals-only album). It's still shoegaze, though, just not, um "traditional". And yes all the bands I listed have strong elements of shoegaze in them and would be enjoyed by people into that type of music. I am not merely listing bands with any little shoegaze elements at all in them; for example, I didn't list Smashing Pumpkins, who have like 80 guitar tracks on every song that have been called "shoegaze"-like by some journalists.

Old 03.20.2008, 09:50 AM   #50
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Also, for your reading pleasure, simply from typing "glitch" and "Shoegaze" into google:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoegaz...c_manipulation

This “post-shoegaze” glitch and experimental electronic music has achieved some critical praise, especially releases Televise (who is Simon Scott from Slowdive), Fennesz and Tim Hecker. Also aspects of Seefeel, late-era Flying Saucer Attack, Main, lovesliescrushing, The Third Eye Foundation, Pacific UV, Oppressed by the Line, and M83 have explored this territory as well in the mid-'90s and beyond.

Seriously, I know what I'm talking about; I don't reply on threads unless I know what I'm talking about -- why try to prove me wrong? *patiently waits for "WIKIPEDIA DOESN'T KNOW SHIT AND NEITHER DO YOU CUZ 'GLITCH-GAZE' SOUNDS RETARDED AND SHOEGAZE DIED BACK IN 1991!" or something else absurd like that in response*

Old 03.20.2008, 09:51 AM   #51
sarramkrop

I'm not even debating that he surely has listened to some of those bands, but labelling Fennesz, amongst others, glitch-shoegaze means that you don't really know what shoegaze or electronica mean in the first place and you're only after making lists of bands, the math geek way. AWWRIGHT?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2008, 09:53 AM   #52
sarramkrop

Wikipedia can kiss my arse. Anyone can put two words together and force themselves to think that it's a scene. AWWRIGHT?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2008, 09:56 AM   #53
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I'm making a list of bands I enjoy and that people into shoegaze might enjoy. Fennesz has elements of the shoegaze genre and elements of glitch, elements of ambient, elements of noise, etc. Trust me, I understand the "definition" of those genres.

Also, I know wikipedia doesn't know shit and has never been right, but I just found this too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glitch_...oegaze_Overlap which is an interesting read on this new imaginary genre that wikipedia just invented conveniently to prove me right.

Old 03.20.2008, 10:06 AM   #54
sarramkrop

It's all fine and dandy, but what has that got to do with this thread, which is about shoegaze bands and not about making up styles that are redundant and legitimised by a bit of hyphenation and not much else?

edit - I take wikipedia with a pinch of salt.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2008, 10:12 AM   #55
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Okay.

Old 03.20.2008, 12:09 PM   #56
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
i dont think im really into shoegaze as a genre to be honest

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2008, 12:15 PM   #57
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I didn't list Smashing Pumpkins, who have like 80 guitar tracks on every song that have been called "shoegaze"-like by some journalists.

Correct. Although, I would consider the song "Real Love" to be kind of shoegaze in way. But, unless they've heard Machina II or have made it passed the major release stuff on the greatest hits (which 95% of SP fans haven't, I'm sure), they would have missed it. Smashing Pumpkins are not shoegaze at all.
Old 03.20.2008, 01:09 PM   #58
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Yes, at that time. That Ladykillers tune was also used as a theme for either a tv advert or tv drama, if memory doesn't fail me. Get this, Lush were riding on the crest of Britpop for a while.
yeah they totally were cashing in on the britpop movement.
disgusting.

i have even seen CURVE classified as shoegaze. snort.
Cantankerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2008, 02:20 PM   #59
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I saw Curve in 1992 and they sucked ass.
Revolver were pretty boring live, and their recordings were not "saturated" enough to seem like shoegazer to me. Darkside were great and totally underrated (All That Noise is one of the best LPs of the 90s if you ask me), but I see them as pretty much just psychedelia rather than shoegazer per se.
Medicine were a total MBV ripoff when I saw them, right down to the "song/40 minutes of airplane nose/reprise of song" thing MBV did.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2008, 02:50 PM   #60
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
Besides all the classic shoegaze bands I'm really into: Skywave, A place to bury strangers, Ceremony, The Swirlies, etc.. But also such neo-shoegaze bands like: Giant Drag, The Raveonettes, Alcian Blue... I guess they don't sound shoegaze all the way but you can definetly notice the influences.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth