Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Do Sonic Youth Have A Show In China?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.27.2007, 11:01 AM   #41
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Hi, Nancy. Welcome to the board.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2007, 11:04 AM   #42
Nancy
empty page

Nancy is a splendid one to beholdNancy is a splendid one to beholdNancy is a splendid one to beholdNancy is a splendid one to beholdNancy is a splendid one to beholdNancy is a splendid one to beholdNancy is a splendid one to behold
hi
Nancy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2007, 11:21 AM   #43
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
oh, hi Nancy. welcome aboard!

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2007, 11:25 AM   #44
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
How long have you been a Sonic Youth fan, Nancy? And who else do you like?
Old 02.27.2007, 11:36 AM   #45
Nancy
empty page

Nancy is a splendid one to beholdNancy is a splendid one to beholdNancy is a splendid one to beholdNancy is a splendid one to beholdNancy is a splendid one to beholdNancy is a splendid one to beholdNancy is a splendid one to behold
Not too long...for about two years
I also love cat power,PJ Harvey,explosions in the sky,dresden dolls,the stooges~and ~and ~haha ~so many...
Old 02.27.2007, 11:38 AM   #46
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
china has the best pop punk bands in the world.
Hang On The Box is the only one that i know apart from some ultra obscure chinese punk bands that i've found on the internet.Can you reccomend some more in that vein?

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2007, 11:38 AM   #47
sonicl
invito al cielo

Ah, you've defnitely come to the right place then. I hope you enjoy all our company.

(That's intended for Nancy, not Porkmarras)
Old 02.27.2007, 11:43 AM   #48
Nancy
empty page

thx i will
I'm going sleeping.It's late at night now in Shanghai.
Old 02.27.2007, 07:12 PM   #49
msittig
empty page

msittig is a splendid one to beholdmsittig is a splendid one to beholdmsittig is a splendid one to beholdmsittig is a splendid one to beholdmsittig is a splendid one to beholdmsittig is a splendid one to beholdmsittig is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
Hang On The Box is the only one that i know apart from some ultra obscure chinese punk bands that i've found on the internet.Can you reccomend some more in that vein?

If you like Hang On The Box, try the SUBS. They're like HOTB -- and also from Beijing -- but with ten times the energy. They have a weblog, maybe you can some mp3s on it. Shanghai's best punk band is probably Loudspeaker (音器), but I don't know if they've put out a CD or not.

My favorite Chinese band is Shanghainese band Cold Fairyland 冷酷仙境. The play world fusion music: drums, guitar, bass, keyboard, cello and a Chinese string-instrument called the pipa. I think they're in Europe on tour right now. They have a website too, http://miyadudu.com.
Old 02.27.2007, 07:58 PM   #50
lisayoung
little trouble girl

lisayoung has much to be proud oflisayoung has much to be proud oflisayoung has much to be proud oflisayoung has much to be proud oflisayoung has much to be proud oflisayoung has much to be proud oflisayoung has much to be proud oflisayoung has much to be proud of
hah,you maths teacher really knows a lot about the bands in china...
well,i've got to say there are loads of underground bands here which are good...anyway im not pretty into them.however, i think 冷酷仙境 is special.琵琶~~~
Old 02.27.2007, 08:00 PM   #51
lisayoung
little trouble girl

lisayoung has much to be proud oflisayoung has much to be proud oflisayoung has much to be proud oflisayoung has much to be proud oflisayoung has much to be proud oflisayoung has much to be proud oflisayoung has much to be proud oflisayoung has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy
Not too long...for about two years
I also love cat power,PJ Harvey,explosions in the sky,dresden dolls,the stooges~and ~and ~haha ~so many...

lol,i l love the dolls,too.and maybe the early chan marshall.
Old 02.28.2007, 12:57 AM   #52
sonicat
empty page

sonicat is a splendid one to beholdsonicat is a splendid one to beholdsonicat is a splendid one to beholdsonicat is a splendid one to beholdsonicat is a splendid one to beholdsonicat is a splendid one to beholdsonicat is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalie
Wow! Great news! So the shows are bound to happen!
My brother told me he read an article about that in a chinese magazine.
That would make a lot of people very happy!!!

woooo~~~~~~~~~~~~i am back to Beijing and find the offical news!!!

Which magazine?
sonicat is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2007, 01:14 AM   #53
Gooooooo
empty page

Gooooooo ain't too shabby
so pity that the concert hall for the sy's show gets only 1,122 seat, so everybody pay attention and save money for the expensive ticket!
Gooooooo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2007, 10:40 AM   #54
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfreepress (sdasher)
Teen age riot! Sonic Youth to tour China in April
The last time Shanghaiist saw Sonic Youth live was 10 or so years ago on a blistering hot day on Australia’s Gold Coast, as they played the most self-indulgent set of music since Lou Reed’s Metal Machine Music. Twenty-five minutes into one noisy (noisome, even) free-form jam of whiny guitars, we wandered over to the festival’s other stage only to find a heinously drunk Beck (pre Odelay fame) sitting on a stool, almost slumped over the microphone, making incomprehensible attempts to produce music. Ah, those were the days.

None of which means we don’t greet the news of Sonic Youth’s China tour with relish. To quote a commenter on the forum of the SY website: “[This news] makes the Chinese Hooter girls very happy indeed.”

Rumours of the tour had been flying around for some time, but it now seems very official. Oh, hang on: “Subject to the approval of the Ministry of Culture”. This makes us a fraction nervous, particularly as the band’s most recent release is called Rather Ripped.

Hopefully the Ministry will approve, but will the kids of China? (And considering that Sonic Youth formed in 1981, we say “kids” with tongue in cheek.) We think so: in the past we’ve picked up Daydream Nation, Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star, and Dirty from various CD stalls around town. Surely a good sign.

And before anyone has a go at us for complaining in the introduction about Sonic Youth’s “free-form noise experimentalism”, we’re not saying we don’t like it. We’re just saying we don’t like 25 minutes of it in one sitting. Twenty minutes is fine.

------------------------------------
But Beck's Odeley came out in June of 1996? Fact chkrrrr

why fact check BECK?
Old 02.28.2007, 03:58 PM   #55
lalie
bad moon rising

lalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicat
woooo~~~~~~~~~~~~i am back to Beijing and find the offical news!!!

Which magazine?

A free newspaper in Shanghai. I asked my brother to send me the article cause I'm curious about what they say...

lalie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2007, 09:58 AM   #56
the bates dynasty
empty page

the bates dynasty kicks all y'all's assesthe bates dynasty kicks all y'all's assesthe bates dynasty kicks all y'all's assesthe bates dynasty kicks all y'all's assesthe bates dynasty kicks all y'all's assesthe bates dynasty kicks all y'all's assesthe bates dynasty kicks all y'all's assesthe bates dynasty kicks all y'all's assesthe bates dynasty kicks all y'all's assesthe bates dynasty kicks all y'all's assesthe bates dynasty kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
sonicat? are you from china?>?? I have few chineese==( how the hell you spell it) friends, asked them to bring me sonic youth cd from china (you know with them chinese alphabet and stuff on the cover). They couldnt find any, which is unbeliebvable to me. Is that possible? Or they just didn;t know where to go and buy it? sorry for my spelling, I'm bit drunk @ mo. lucky you europeans, who were in china!!!

ya we're pretty pumped over here! i work at an international school here w/ a lot of americans, canadians and others and there's as big of a group of our teachers going to this show as we had for the rolling stones last year!

when i first heard they were coming to shanghai i thought it was a joke, but when i realized it was true i didn't care how illogical it seemed, i just got the word out! i never thought i'd see a band like sonic youth in china. i saw them this past summer in the states and it was great but twice in less than a year, too nice! i can't figure out why they're coming, it'll be good for them if they get to have fun while there here, but i've never seen an official copy of a SY album here. i've seen a bunch of pirate copies though; nurse, leaves, washing machine, murray st. and a couple others. (it's pretty hard to find an official copy of any non-chinese artist here)

hopefully this is a good sign of the new direction the music scene is going here; now maybe pearl jam will get off their butts and come here, if sonic youth can pull it off you know pearl jam can. shanghai is starting to kick it up a notch in the concert realm; sonic youth, rolling stones, roger waters, eric clapton, james brown, norah jones, the roots, ziggy marley, etc. i don't love all those people but at least they're all on a certain level, so that's means more shows at that level, and that's good for me!

my only fear is that i'm getting my hopes up; quite a few artists have been blocked by the PRC something-or-other ministry, but SY doesn't really have any BLATANTLY political songs, not the kind china freaks out about, so maybe this will go through and i'll be rocking out next month. and the venue they're playing at is AWESOME it's almost like an opera house. i can't wait to see them play a full set!
the bates dynasty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2007, 10:12 AM   #57
the bates dynasty
empty page

the bates dynasty kicks all y'all's assesthe bates dynasty kicks all y'all's assesthe bates dynasty kicks all y'all's assesthe bates dynasty kicks all y'all's assesthe bates dynasty kicks all y'all's assesthe bates dynasty kicks all y'all's assesthe bates dynasty kicks all y'all's assesthe bates dynasty kicks all y'all's assesthe bates dynasty kicks all y'all's assesthe bates dynasty kicks all y'all's assesthe bates dynasty kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by msittig
If you like Hang On The Box, try the SUBS. They're like HOTB -- and also from Beijing -- but with ten times the energy. They have a weblog, maybe you can some mp3s on it. Shanghai's best punk band is probably Loudspeaker (音器), but I don't know if they've put out a CD or not.

My favorite Chinese band is Shanghainese band Cold Fairyland 冷酷仙境. The play world fusion music: drums, guitar, bass, keyboard, cello and a Chinese string-instrument called the pipa. I think they're in Europe on tour right now. They have a website too, http://miyadudu.com.

msitig (i'll keep your first name a mystery, wink..)
how is it that my office is down the hall from yours and i didn't know anything about your music taste till i accidentally ran across you twice on the WORLD WIDE WEB?! i'll swing by your office tomorrow and tell you about this. it's nice to know there's more people at our school that like good music. by the by, have you ever gone to see tim's band? they played w/ loudspeaker last year, i don't know if you'd like his music though, his songs are kind of 'americana', not that that's bad, just maybe not your cup of tea.

later
the bates dynasty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2007, 06:30 PM   #58
wuhan_china
empty page

wuhan_china has much to be proud ofwuhan_china has much to be proud ofwuhan_china has much to be proud ofwuhan_china has much to be proud ofwuhan_china has much to be proud ofwuhan_china has much to be proud ofwuhan_china has much to be proud ofwuhan_china has much to be proud ofwuhan_china has much to be proud ofwuhan_china has much to be proud of
Heard the news yesterday. Will def. be there for atleast one show.

Does anyone know when the tickets will be on sale?
wuhan_china is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2007, 09:08 AM   #59
(young) pioneer
empty page

(young) pioneer kicks all y'all's asses(young) pioneer kicks all y'all's asses(young) pioneer kicks all y'all's asses(young) pioneer kicks all y'all's asses(young) pioneer kicks all y'all's asses(young) pioneer kicks all y'all's asses(young) pioneer kicks all y'all's asses(young) pioneer kicks all y'all's asses(young) pioneer kicks all y'all's asses(young) pioneer kicks all y'all's asses(young) pioneer kicks all y'all's asses
been looking out for tickets for a while (for Shanghai). No one seems to have a clue.
Anyone knows where to buy tickets pleeeaaaaaase??!!
Sonic Youth, please help.
thanks!
(young) pioneer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2007, 10:20 AM   #60
yumopal
little trouble girl

yumopal has much to be proud ofyumopal has much to be proud ofyumopal has much to be proud ofyumopal has much to be proud ofyumopal has much to be proud ofyumopal has much to be proud ofyumopal has much to be proud ofyumopal has much to be proud ofyumopal has much to be proud of
yeah china. i heard they have a lot of copies.. every thing~
I hope sonics to come to Korea ......
yumopal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth