Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page "Art" or abuse?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.24.2007, 07:19 AM   #61
eatmychild
children of satan

eatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asses
I can understand that you might get a lot of shit for having that particular outlook. But people ought to be sympathetic.
Old 10.24.2007, 08:03 AM   #62
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantgarde1
lol, nah they just get on my nerves. their dirty, they tear shit up, piss & shit every where, cost alot of money and they make alot of godamn noise.
Are you talking about dogs or infants?
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.24.2007, 01:36 PM   #63
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Speaking as someone who has voluntarily seen and enjoyed two Costes performances, I'm gonna go ahead and say this is not art.
French people peeing on each other and running through the audience naked; now that is art.

I'd really like to see Costes. Probably only once though. Not sure what circles you move in, but that is easily the most obscure reference I've ever seen on this board.

EDIT: Having said that, it could well be that loads of people have heard of him and I'm just a bit late in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.24.2007, 04:47 PM   #64
avantgarde1
the end of the ugly

avantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
Are you talking about dogs or infants?

lol, i'm talking about animals, though i hear the same about kids. that's why i've decided to not have any. wouldn't want my demon seed going around polluting the innocence of earth. plus i wouldn't let em have a puppy... and what kinda parent doesn't buy his kid a puppy for x-mas?

avantgarde1 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.24.2007, 05:46 PM   #65
ThePits
stalker

ThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantgarde1
lol, i'm talking about animals, though i hear the same about kids. that's why i've decided to not have any. wouldn't want my demon seed going around polluting the innocence of earth. plus i wouldn't let em have a puppy... and what kinda parent doesn't buy his kid a puppy for x-mas?

The kinda parent that has turkey for x-mas instead of puppy?
ThePits is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.24.2007, 07:22 PM   #66
auto-aim
the destroyed room

auto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's asses
I didnt have the patience to read through the whole thread but i will say this:

If it IS art then it has clearly worked... At least in this forum. Yes, I agree it's wrong but then i think that there are worse crimes out there that arent on display. (that said im trying to remember that *i think* german photographer that does like guy fisting each other for a bit of a high brow joke though completly failed.) This is the type of shit we should be talking about because it's a bit moronic to say it's just cruel and thats. I personally feel the world is pretty cruel as it is but nobody will ever focus on that kind of stuff.. or just start thinking.

His Naked Torso
auto-aim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.24.2007, 07:54 PM   #67
ThePits
stalker

ThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-aim
I didnt have the patience to read through the whole thread but i will say this:

If it IS art then it has clearly worked... At least in this forum. Yes, I agree it's wrong but then i think that there are worse crimes out there that arent on display. (that said im trying to remember that *i think* german photographer that does like guy fisting each other for a bit of a high brow joke though completly failed.) This is the type of shit we should be talking about because it's a bit moronic to say it's just cruel and thats. I personally feel the world is pretty cruel as it is but nobody will ever focus on that kind of stuff.. or just start thinking.

For some stupid reason I always thought art was meant to be aesthetically pleasing
Old 10.24.2007, 08:05 PM   #68
auto-aim
the destroyed room

auto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's asses
Then why do you listen to dischordant music like Sonic Youth? Aesthetics is part of it - but its not all of it. Besides aesthetics are a grey.... kind of like some one could say that that actually looks apealing to them. I know a lot of people who hate abstract art. It's a component but like not a reason.
I actually believe that art is meant to make you feel and that it's not just some superficial thing.

His Naked Torso
Old 10.24.2007, 08:09 PM   #69
ThePits
stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-aim
Then why do you listen to dischordant music like Sonic Youth?
I actually believe that art is meant to make you feel and that it's not just some superficial thing.

For some silly reason I thought music and art were two different things
Old 10.24.2007, 08:12 PM   #70
m1rr0r dash
invito al cielo

m1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's asses
...or we could just use the john hodgman criteria for art authentification: did a rich person pay a crazy amount of money for it?

m1rr0r dash is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.24.2007, 08:18 PM   #71
auto-aim
the destroyed room

I think they're the same in the scheme of it. The motivations and ultimatly what it's out to achieve... all of that kind of stuff are the same. And i find it strange you saying that because SY are known for blurring the lines between the visual and audeo art - im digressing though. I guess im that kind of person that follows the same rules or ideas for things. I'd explain that more but afraid i'd confuse it. I don't know though do you think if it were a painting of a dying dog during say the renaissance it'd be acceptable?

His Naked Torso
Old 10.25.2007, 02:36 AM   #72
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i'll give you guys the right to all your indignation, but what is funny (this needs to be pointed out) nobody is horrified at people dying of starvation.

i guess with the superabundance of food in developed countries people don't stop to think that food can be really hard to come by in some countries.

please, go ahead, clamor
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2007, 02:43 AM   #73
ALIEN ANAL
invito al cielo

ALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's asses
Of course its abuse..but isnt the abuse part of what the artist is getting at?
Old 10.25.2007, 02:45 AM   #74
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIEN ANAL
Of course its abuse..but isnt the abuse part of what the artist is getting at?

exactly
Old 10.25.2007, 02:53 AM   #75
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
nobody is horrified at people dying of starvation.
Really? Nobody?
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2007, 02:56 AM   #76
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
The indignation is not in the image of the poor dog displayed, is in the fact that the guy doing that claims it's art (and he's not the only one, considering his "piece" has been accepted by the exhibition's curators etc.-etc.).
Nobody ever said that starving children are "art".
Well, maybe Hitler or someone along those lines, but it does not count.
There are far worse thing in than a starving dog in this world, it just seems a bit useless to point this out in a thread where we are discussing about a precise and particular "exhibition", not about the world's problems.

If we (=the audience) accept this kind of cruelty as "art" next time on trial we'll have wife beaters claiming they're artist and that they just wanted to make a thought provoking piece. Yeah, cool, huh?
I know I'm bring this "too far" , but hope you get what I mean.
Old 10.25.2007, 03:03 AM   #77
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
There are far worse thing in than a starving dog in this world, it just seems a bit useless to point this out in a thread where we are discussing about a precise and particular "exhibition", not about the world's problems.

yes but people are missing the point of the exhibition because they are overly concerned with "animal rights" over "human rights".

by the look of it, that dog didn't have much of a chance in the streets either.

this reminds me of the abortion debate. sure good decent people are always ready to condemn abortions, but they won't do a thing to adopt or take care of unwanted children.

notice please im not saying this exhibit is pleasant in any shape of form. it's just that most rich people (i mean people who have a roof over their heads and hot meals whenever they wish) only see the dog and not what's beyond it.
Old 10.25.2007, 03:11 AM   #78
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Jesus Christ was nailed on the cross for the very same reason. People still care more about his death than 2000 years of innocent men executed.

Still nobody has addressed my point that the artist has made a name off of a dying dog.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2007, 03:14 AM   #79
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Really? Nobody?
i havent heard the squeals on this board. it's always rich-people concerns: how indie are my sneakers, is sonic youth selling out, etc. the tears of the spoiled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Still nobody has addressed my point that the artist has made a name off of a dying dog.

ok... what kind of response are you looking for?
Old 10.25.2007, 03:16 AM   #80
nicfit
invito al cielo

I understand what you mean (the human-animal rights part), but still, I can't see the point in letting the dog starve.
On the streets, yeah, it would have died pretty soon for sure, but say, he could have eaten something from the rubbish piles or wathever.
Bah, most likely I'm tired of guys doing "thought provoking" unnecessarily cruel things claiming they're artist. He could have fed the animal at night (when the exhibition was closed) and more people would have been able to see his "piece" rather than the one-day audience.
If his goal was to let it die and have media talk about that, I find it even stupider actually.
And I'm not really talking about animals right, but about this guy's actions.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth